Sign in to follow this  
kMaN175

ARMA II & Mac

No. It doesn't, No. it isn't.

Apple writes drivers for Windows that are optimised for the hardware inside that Mac, hence it runs faster because they're not generic like regular PC drivers are, even if they're for a specific model of hardware.

That's bullcrap, the only reason apple doesn't use the generic nvidia/ati driver in windows is because it doesn't control the backlight. Apple just adds that functionality, tests and releases. If there's any difference it's going to be slower on the mac because your driver is never quite up to date.

you can actually install the latest nvidia drivers if you add some string into a txt, but then your backlight will always be on 100% in windows.

Im running my arma oa on a 2010 macpro and it smokes my 17 920 oc to 4 ghz.

running win 7 64 with 6 gig ram on the mac with 460gtx in widows ive benchmarked both and the mac wins hands down.u don't need a mac graphics card to run under windows any card will boot in windows.

Only place the 17 920 wins is with ssd running win7 and arma in raid config as i can't do that with the mac without spending alot of money!!!

well you probably missed a setting. either that or there's something wrong with your 920 pc. There's no way a macpro running windows can somehow run code more efficiently.

OpenGL is quite far behind DX11. It used to be cool back in the quake days. This is partly because its focus is not on games. Games on OpenGL these days is an afterthought.

*shrug* Id tech 5 is looking pretty good and the specs for OpenGL 4.1 aren't necessarily lagging behind in any meaningful manner.

I believe the current prevalence of DirectX based games comes more down to aggressive marketing by Microsfot rather than any lacking capability.

Lest I turn the topic too far astray I find it surprising that so many running a rather demanding software like Arma2 successfully through an emulator-- but then again the last time I played with MacOs it was system oh-point-bow and arrow :cool:

-k

Lest I turn the topic too far astray I find it surprising that so many running a rather demanding software like Arma2 successfully through an emulator-- but then again the last time I played with MacOs it was system oh-point-bow and arrow :cool:

Bootcamp != an emulator.

Have a Windows application you need to use once in a while? No problem. Every new Mac lets you install and run Windows at native speeds, using a built-in utility called Boot Camp.

Setup is simple and safe for your Mac files. After you’ve completed the installation, you can boot up your Mac using either Mac OS X or Windows. (That’s why it’s called Boot Camp.)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

Windows does run natively on Boot Camp, as Animal attests to. It's a little slower though than running Windows on a comparable PC. That said, if you've got a good enough Mac, it will be more than fit for purpose.

If you know how though, you could build a PC that dual-boots both OS and Windows natively, so you can take advantage of better (and much cheaper PC) GFX cards without having to flash them to EFI (the Mac boot standard for OS).

Edited by Das Attorney