Which browser do you use?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox
    • Safari
    • Chrome
    • Opera
    • Mobile Phone Browsers (S60 Browser, Mini Opera, iPhone etc)
    • Other (Please state)

I use Firefox, mainly for all the useful addons like AdBlockPlus, NoScript, Stylish (great for obfuscating websites when browsing at work ;)), etc.

They are both the same browsers, but Avant uses the IE as rendering core, and Orca uses Webkit (Gecko)
Webkit != Gecko.

Webkit is a layout rendering technology initially made by Apple. Gecko is initially made by DigitalStyle (Netscape) and then continued by Mozilla.

Both are open-source btw, Webkit is used by Nokia (Symbian), Google (Chrome, Android), Palm webOS, Apple (Safari), etc.

Gecko is used by Mozilla, all XULrunner forks, Nokia (Maemo), etc.

Webkit is the most used mobile layout engine, followed by Presto (Opera). Trident (Internet Explorer) is the most used PC layout engine, followed by Gecko (Firefox).

That depends on your definition of 'works'

I click on a webpage, the webpage loads.

Opera since 3.6 :p. Never went back.

I'm stuck with IE at work though, mostly because I need Active X.

That's funny. Any time I use internet explorer, I click a page, it loads about twice as slowly as it does in any other browser, and often with errors (That's with the latest as well as the last two versions). I'm certain that if I added up all the time I would spend waiting on IE to do a shit job over the space of a month or so, I'd could have downloaded and installed Chrome several times over.

Oh, and that's before we get into the (in)security issues...

It's interesting to see how much the statistics are different from average.

It's a bigger part using FF than average.

I think this is due to the fact that Arma2 community is technic addicted.

Me, personally, do use Opera/Epihany (Linux) a lot for I don't like Google - the data miner - to get too much control of my data. Google financed 80 % of the budget for FF in 2008, I read.

Just type in the adressbar: "about:config" and search there for "google" to see the impact of that.

Did you know that important "cookies" aren't deleted at all though you told the browser to do so? The so called flashcookies cannot be deleted by browsers and so all data miners go to use them instead. You find them in the macromedia-folder in two separate subfolders ... just take a look and shake your head: Where have I been lately! Hope my wife/boss never sees this ... ;-)))

Edited by Herbal Influence

Alot of that datamining stuff can be disabled.

Epipihany is pretty mediocre IMHO, very spartan in terms of what it does.

Webkit != Gecko.

Webkit is a layout rendering technology initially made by Apple. Gecko is initially made by DigitalStyle (Netscape) and then continued by Mozilla.

Both are open-source btw, Webkit is used by Nokia (Symbian), Google (Chrome, Android), Palm webOS, Apple (Safari), etc.

Gecko is used by Mozilla, all XULrunner forks, Nokia (Maemo), etc.

Webkit is the most used mobile layout engine, followed by Presto (Opera). Trident (Internet Explorer) is the most used PC layout engine, followed by Gecko (Firefox).

Oh didnt know that, thx for the heads-up.

My feet work well too, but I still use my car every day to work:p

It's interesting to see how much the statistics are different from average.

Yeah... same here. I was wondering why.

In case somebody's interested, the global numbers.

I would guess its because this is a forums for PC-games(though lets not forget Elite), meaning younger, more experienced and advanced Internet users go here.

Thats why the number for IE is so low here.

Edited by sparks50

Been using Firefox for years but I've been using chrome for a couple months now and I'm liking it alot so far.

I voted Opera because I do use it the most I think. I however use both Opera and Internet Explorer. I tend to use IE for school related stuff, facebook, email, and things like that. Opera is the general overall one that I use the most. I found that my email, facebook, and shool stuff works better on IE though so I use that which is the same for any other site that I find runs poorly on Opera. I also have Safari and Firefox but I tend to only use them on rare occasions or at school on the macs because that is all they have.

I find it odd that there aren't all that many Chrome users considering that it has a higher market share than Opera.

I find it odd that there aren't all that many Chrome users considering that it has a higher market share than Opera.

I don't like to use Chrome for it was made by google.

And googles interest is to collect much data ... even sticking you a personal very long lasting ID-Number ..

Yeah, but you are no more safe using Google with Firefox, Opera or any other browser.

Iron from SRWare (based on opensource Chromium but lighter/faster/newer code than Chrome from Google)

Opera v10

Firefox v3

IE8

Chrome

depends what i need ...

I used to use Opera for years but switched to Chrome recently. It is missing a couple of features that I would like it to have but I love the speed and minimalistic approach/appearance of Chrome.

jep, when booting you can start Chrome instantly after the wallpaper appears. Thats what I love about it too.

jep, when booting you can start Chrome instantly after the wallpaper appears. Thats what I love about it too.

Can't u do that with any other program?

Probably not an option in the settings, but just throwing a shortcut in the Start folder in the All Programs section does the same.

At least it's what i do at work to launch thunderbird among others when logging in at work.

Can't u do that with any other program?

Probably not an option in the settings, but just throwing a shortcut in the Start folder in the All Programs section does the same.

At least it's what i do at work to launch thunderbird among others when logging in at work.

Well, like most of us I am dealing with several computers, one at work, one at home, laptop here and borrowed laptop for the weekend there. Whenever I use chrome it is by far the fastest browser to load. I am not blaming this on anything. My firefox is full of very usefull addons, probably this is what slows it down during startup. But I wouldnt want to miss a single one of them.

But if you are on your desktop and only want to quickly lookup something then chrome is a terrific solution. And thats what I do 80% of the time, simple passive browsing.

That's ok, i meant that what u say it's a nice feature can be done with anything :D

Ditto.

Opera's the way to go. I can't really use default ones like Internet Explorer. It seems to crash on a regular basis.