Sign in to follow this  
Raggz

I7 + Nvidia GTX 2xx = crash

But mostly GFX don't cause an instant reset of the systems?

You will mostly get artifacts first and then probably a lockup or so.

But mostly GFX don't cause an instant reset of the systems?

You will mostly get artifacts first and then probably a lockup or so.

Not so. GPU problems (especially heat) can cause BSODs etc.

Eth

Not so. GPU problems (especially heat) can cause BSODs etc.

Eth

True and the newer 200 cards tend to be pussies when it comes to heat problems, my two 285s certainly are. I run them on 75% fan without any OC just to keep them healthy while playing ArmA 2.

I anyone in this thread doesn't use Evga Precision, Rivatuner or another app to monitor and control their cards then I suggest they do.

I run my CPU at 4.17ghz constantly and the only crash I get is from a persistent memory leak with this game, you watch it happen while monitoring the Ram while playing. Even the flush command doesn't help much as the leak eventually wins in the end.

Blaming problems on peoples OCs isn't that great as a lot of us have ours pretty much bombproof, there is more ominous things to be blamed for the problems here.

I ran a 3 times loop on 3dMark Vantage Advanced with all thingies on extreme, Ani pumped up and stuff.

All stable. No crashes.

CPU didnt went over 65 Degrees. GPU reached about 101 Degrees once. No worries.

Only ArmA 2 crashes with CTDs ;)

Blaming problems on peoples OCs isn't that great as a lot of us have ours pretty much bombproof, there is more ominous things to be blamed for the problems here.

Idd. I run on a very conservative setting of 1650MHz RAM and 3.2 GHz CPU atm. Doesn't help. My GFX Card isnt overclocked at all ^^

All is fine. Except ArmA 2 :D

I anyone in this thread doesn't use Evga Precision, Rivatuner or another app to monitor and control their cards then I suggest they do.

Rivatuner sucks a lot. It so often can't read the Temp of my GFX. And I'm not motivated to edit my Registry and reinstall the Driver all over. Everest ALWAYS detects the temp of my GFX.

Edited by Alienfreak

I7

2x 295's

Driver 191.07

more details to the crash:

start getting allot of video artifacts, about 25 minutes into game play.

when the arma2 process size approaches ~1GB is when bad things start to happen on my rig. crashed on screen, while running in taskmgr.

if I choose a script based scenario like whiskey-whiskey, after a fresh start it will run without problems, but if I switch to another gameplay option like armory it will crash in approx 10-15 minutes.

i get better frame rate running full screen, then windowed

current setup:

OC I7 at 4.2

2x 295 quad SLI OC a bit

no OC instability at all for 24h with prime95

i run 2550x1600 with every maxed at 60+fps.

no other problems with other games

Well this guy/girl managed to get rid of the CTD's by running things @ stock speed so...

I just updated my drivers to 191.07 WHQL from 191.03 Beta and unless I keep HyperThreading turned OFF in bios I get consistent CTDs in the same place on a test mission. Flying in a Huey into a town the texture issue shows up and it's CTD in 10-15 seconds. Turn OFF HT and alls good in the world.

I may actually go back to the 191.03 Beta drivers as they seemed to look and act better in my case.

Best of Luck,

This is purely ignorance on your part. In SC's case it WAS his OC.

Secondly, OCs are never "bomb proof". You are stressing the system at 4+ ghz. There is no way around it.

Eth

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

I ran a 3 times loop on 3dMark Vantage Advanced with all thingies on extreme, Ani pumped up and stuff.

All stable. No crashes.

CPU didnt went over 65 Degrees. GPU reached about 101 Degrees once. No worries.

Only ArmA 2 crashes with CTDs ;)

Idd. I run on a very conservative setting of 1650MHz RAM and 3.2 GHz CPU atm. Doesn't help. My GFX Card isnt overclocked at all ^^

All is fine. Except ArmA 2 :D

Rivatuner sucks a lot. It so often can't read the Temp of my GFX. And I'm not motivated to edit my Registry and reinstall the Driver all over. Everest ALWAYS detects the temp of my GFX.

Then you're lucky and that is all. 101 is unacceptable for any sustained period of time.

Eth

101 is unacceptable for any sustained period of time.

You know... Crysis gets it over 100 Degrees about 90% of the time. No probs with it.

My GTX295 almost has 65 Degrees in idle... even with a vent in front of it.

But it doesnt get above 85 in ArmA 2 anyway. So what does it matter?

Then you're lucky and that is all.

Why am I lucky?

Edited by Alienfreak

You know... Crysis gets it over 100 Degrees about 90% of the time. No probs with it.

My GTX295 almost has 65 Degrees in idle...

It's not good for your GPU to run that hot and it indicates that you have a serious cooling issue.

I can play Crysis for hours and I never go over 80 (and thats with 3 cards).

Eth

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

I just updated my drivers to 191.07 WHQL from 191.03 Beta and unless I keep HyperThreading turned OFF in bios I get consistent CTDs in the same place on a test mission. Flying in a Huey into a town the texture issue shows up and it's CTD in 10-15 seconds. Turn OFF HT and alls good in the world.

I may actually go back to the 191.03 Beta drivers as they seemed to look and act better in my case.

Best of Luck,

Try putting -cpucount=4 in your command line. It should solve the HT problem.

Edited by BangTail

It's not good for your GPU to run that hot and it indicates that you have a serious cooling issue.

I can play Crysis for hours and I never go over 80 (and thats with 3 cards).

Eth

Nothing I can do about it...

Or will you sponsor me a new watercooling system?

And instead of just sitting there and insisting everyone in this world has a problem please at least TRY to tell them what to do.

Nothing I can do about it...

Or will you sponsor me a new watercooling system?

And instead of just sitting there and insisting everyone in this world has a problem please at least TRY to tell them what to do.

I don't insist everyone has a problem but it would appear that you have several :p

I've helped a few people in this thread and what exactly have you done to contribute?

That's what I thought :rolleyes:

Eth

I've been through most of the tweaks possible, unfortunately it hasnt helped.

No commandline parameter gave any different results. NO change to the computer setup. (Not tried to *underclock* any components yet though).

The PC itself is quite healthy - 6 months old and a new OS installed the past 2 months.

- i7 940 @ Default Clock (never O/C'ed) w/6GB memory at Default timing. HT=Off.

- GTX 295 @ Default Clock (never O/C'ed).

Tested both 191.07 WHQL, 190.62 WHQL. (Note, havent tested earlier driver releases with ArmA II yet - it's on the "todo" list)

- ArmA II 1.04 (Unmodded), Steam edition.

- Windows 7 x64 RTM (Enterprise) (relatively fresh installation).

I'm not really seeking a workaround to the issue (as of now), I rather seek to find the cause - hence I'm interested in finding what changes that *do* make a difference. ;)

IMHO there's a trend here.

Hence I've added votes and input the the following threads.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/5050

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=106799

Edited by Lebowske

No commandline parameter gave any different results. NO change to the computer setup. (Not tried to *underclock* any components yet though).

The PC itself is quite healthy - 6 months old and a new OS installed the past 2 months.

- i7 940 @ Default Clock (never O/C'ed) w/6GB memory at Default timing. HT=Off.

- GTX 295 @ Default Clock (never O/C'ed).

Tested both 191.07 WHQL, 190.62 WHQL. (Note, havent tested earlier driver releases with ArmA II yet - it's on the "todo" list)

- ArmA II 1.04 (Unmodded), Steam edition.

- Windows 7 x64 RTM (Enterprise) (relatively fresh installation).

I'm not really seeking a workaround to the issue (as of now), I rather seek to find the cause - hence I'm interested in finding what changes that *do* make a difference. ;)

IMHO there's a trend here.

Hence I've added votes and input the the following threads.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/5050

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=106799

What are your ingame video settings?

I don't insist everyone has a problem but it would appear that you have several

Really?

Its a stock GTX 295. My case has 2 120mm rear exit vents, 1 120mm front intake vent and a 80mm exit vent right next to the GTX 295.

My CPU never reaches above 65 Degrees.

So you say I should write to the Zotac support?

I've helped a few people in this thread and what exactly have you done to contribute?

Debatable.

You told people how smooth and cool it runs with your system like 5 times. And that it is caused by OCing if people crash.

You gave 1 tool to someone which showed unusual things, which you dropped after and told about your cpucount.

And you told someone to look into the game without OCing.

I'm not saying that you did NOTHING. But I read a lot in Forums and quite some guys around there also have Temps on their GTX 295 like me.

And I won't open it to apply new thermal grease. I don't have that much money to waste my warranty like that ;)

Plus OCing of my system has NOTHING to do with my GFX temp. Because its running on default clock, default voltage, default PCIE voltage and everything.

hi,

i even tried *underclocking* my gtx 260 as well as any suggested solutions here from xp-mode to different settings ingame & graphiccard, windowed mode...

i also took a look on too high temperatures of cpu and gpu - nothing. the only thing that seems to help a bit was setting graphicmemory to very high (but its still far away from fixing those ctds). still arma quits - sometimes while saving, sometimes after flickering graphics and sometimes just suddenly.

most of the time arma2.exe is still in the taskmanager after ctd with memory using but no cpu. the only thing i didnt try so far is turning ht off - well thats my next step. ill post, if something changes for me with that.

regards

gedi

Really?

Its a stock GTX 295. My case has 2 120mm rear exit vents, 1 120mm front intake vent and a 80mm exit vent right next to the GTX 295.

My CPU never reaches above 65 Degrees.

So you say I should write to the Zotac support?

Debatable.

You told people how smooth and cool it runs with your system like 5 times. And that it is caused by OCing if people crash.

You gave 1 tool to someone which showed unusual things, which you dropped after and told about your cpucount.

And you told someone to look into the game without OCing.

I'm not saying that you did NOTHING. But I read a lot in Forums and quite some guys around there also have Temps on their GTX 295 like me.

And I won't open it to apply new thermal grease. I don't have that much money to waste my warranty like that ;)

Plus OCing of my system has NOTHING to do with my GFX temp. Because its running on default clock, default voltage, default PCIE voltage and everything.

A lot more than you've done, which based on a quick review of your short post history, is limited to complaining.

I told YOU that your GPU is running too hot (in certain situations). You and the other "experts" who think 101 is an acceptable temp are just plain wrong. You're right though, at the end of the day it is your money, so who cares.

Oh, and I never said that OCing had anything to do with YOUR GPU temps. That was YOU interfering in a conversation I was having with someone else.

I only tell people the game runs fine for me when they are insisting that the WHOLE community has issues with the game to try and strengthen their weak arguments. It is used purely as a rebuttal and wouldn't be necessary if a lot of you people stopped speaking for everyone and stuck to their own specific situations.

Bye :D

Eth

PS : If you feel like continuing this any further, do it via PM. No more derailing the thread. Any more nonsense and it's reported.

/kthxbye

Edited by BangTail

I too get random crashes with arma2. Some happen after a coupple of minutes and some after an hour. I dont think ive played a session with this game without a crash since I bought it, although they seem less frequent than the earlier patches and drivers. I only use the -nosplash command with the game. Is there any essential commands I should be using? Also I have a stock config file -

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1600;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1600;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=1;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2012727296;

nonlocalVRAM=2012727296;

winX=0;

winY=0;

winW=1916;

winH=1170;

winDefW=1920;

winDefH=1200;

Edit: Also my gpu temps never get over 70 degrees according to evga precision.

Edited by Magel282

What are your ingame video settings?

It's been all over the spectrum - but mainly I stick with "Default" settings while testing. High or Very High cause too mutch stutter in most scenarios anyway.

Where default isnt available I've been using Normal/Low (shadows).

I think my rendering-res was about 1700x1100 somewhere, true res is about 2500x1600.

It's been all over the spectrum - but mainly I stick with "Default" settings while testing. High or Very High cause too mutch stutter in most scenarios anyway.

Where default isnt available I've been using Normal/Low (shadows).

I think my rendering-res was about 1700x1100 somewhere, true res is about 2500x1600.

Try these settings:

testsettingsq.jpg

I told YOU that your GPU is running too hot (in certain situations). You and the other "experts" who think 101 is an acceptable temp are just plain wrong. You're right though, at the end of the day it is your money, so who cares.

My GFX Card doesn't get over 85 Degrees in ArmA 2.

Thats my whole point. From the start.

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1600;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1600;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=1;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2012727296;

nonlocalVRAM=2012727296;

winX=0;

winY=0;

winW=1916;

winH=1170;

winDefW=1920;

winDefH=1200;

I had crashes with my gtx285 until I tweaked localVRAM and nonlocalVRAM.

I read it in some thread on this forum (search the troubleshooting forum). The conclusion seemed to be that arma2 detects the videocards ram wrongly. What I did was to find that information (win7) and changed localVRAM and nonlocalVRAM to the values that win7 detected.

From this config file it looks like arma2 think your card has 2 gig of memory and that arma2 thinks win allocates 2 more gig. True or not I dont know, but I guess its not.

localVRAM is physical ram on the card, nonlocalVRAM is memory allocated by windows for the card (if I remember it correctly).

When the config file is changed one must lock it so arma2 cant change it again.

I have a c2d6600 so I cant say anything about the i7 combo, but this helped me. I suggest people with crashes search the troubleshooting forum for that thread (cant remember name of thread but use localVRAM and search).

I dont know but it can maybe explain the thing that people find it more or less stable depending on ingame video settings as it uses more or less videoram?

Try these settings:

testsettingsq.jpg

Cheers, will test a bit more next weekend (phew, time, never have enough when you need it) ;)

From this config file it looks like arma2 think your card has 2 gig of memory and that arma2 thinks win allocates 2 more gig. True or not I dont know, but I guess its not.

I thought it was allocating this much as I have to cards with 1 gig each. Is this incorrect?

Completely unplayable with i7 920 + gtx275. I can barely play 5-10 minutes, then the textures start flicker and CTD right after that.

After i changed my localVRAM=939524096; and nonlocalVRAM=939524096; it didn't crash anymore, yet it was still flickering, fps was around 1-5. Artifacts disappeared after I set video memory from default to very high, because the arma2.cfg file is set to read-only. It was all working nicely with my old computer (AMD6400+ x2 3.2GHz and GTX275 896MB). Video card temperature is not the issue. (40-45c idle, 65-70 load)

I have no ideas if this might be caused by Hyper Treading and I can't disable it in BIOS, due to endless power-loop (on-off-on-off)

System specs:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (rev 1.6) mobo

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz

XFX GTX 275 896MB

3x2GB Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 1066mhz

Chieftec 560W PSU

Windows 7 64bit

fqTShIIe88o

Edited by Priit

Completely unplayable with i7 920 + gtx275. I can barely play 5-10 minutes, then the textures start flicker and CTD right after that.

After i changed my localVRAM=939524096; and nonlocalVRAM=939524096; it didn't crash anymore, yet it was still flickering, fps was around 1-5. Artifacts disappeared after I set video memory from default to very high, because the arma2.cfg file is set to read-only. It was all working nicely with my old computer (AMD6400+ x2 3.2GHz and GTX275 896MB). Video card temperature is not the issue. (40-45c idle, 65-70 load)

I have no ideas if this might be caused by Hyper Treading and I can't disable it in BIOS, due to endless power-loop (on-off-on-off)

System specs:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (rev 1.6) mobo

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz

XFX GTX 275 896MB

3x2GB Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 1066mhz

Chieftec 560W PSU

Windows 7 64bit

fqTShIIe88o

Prit that is exactly what I was getting prior to killing HyperThreading and running either 191.03 Beta or 191.07 WHQL.

It will happen very quickly while in a fast moving vehicle in a built up area.

Why can't you disable it in BIOS? I don't understand the power loop reference.

Edited by Akilez