Sign in to follow this  
Raggz

I7 + Nvidia GTX 2xx = crash

I have the exact same problem with ArmA 2. Game crashes to desktop while arma2.exe is still running in taskmanager.

I cant seem to play the game for anymore than a short while before the above happens. I've tried every suggestion going to rectify this and none of it works.

I have the following set up on my new pc:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Power Supply: Coolermaster Real Power M850

Processor: Core i7 920 (overclocked to 3.1Ghz) 8MB Cache Socket 1366

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120

Graphics Card 1: BFG GeForce GTX 295 1792MB PCI Express 2.0

Memory: 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C9 Triple Channel

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe Socket 1366

Hard Disk Drive One: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 32MB Cache SATA 300

Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium Edition

I've been battling with this for months now and quite frankly I've had enough of trying to play ArmA2 on the above new PC. I never had this many problems on my old PC with ArmA 1, which I played for nearly 2.5 years. Incidently, this same PC runs ArmA 2 very well. Its specs are:

Windows XP Home SP3

Processor - Dual Core E6700 (2.67Ghz)

500 Gb Hard Drive,

2Gb (900Mhz) RAM

ATI Radeon x1950 Pro VGA (512Mb)

BIS if you are reading this, then please help as I loved ArmA 1 and I would dearly like to play ArmA 2 on my new PC. My last resort is to turn to OFP DR if I cant play ArmA2.

I reported the bug and the status has changed to Assigned already. We should see a fix soon i guess IF they can fix it :)

I have the exact same problem with ArmA 2. Game crashes to desktop while arma2.exe is still running in taskmanager.

Hey Chief, we where getting that too, it seems it was a mod issue in ASX,.It hasn't been a issue since the last few updates Big update today.

I have the I720@3,1, No HT, Asus P6T and 6GB 1600 mem but no crashes for me so far. I do have some crackling sound issues in Arma2 (re-installed the x-fi driver, hope it helpes) and other strange things (trackir software not recognizing hardware, after a few attempts it works, X52Pro stick sudenly not working in DCS black shark, having to reconnect to make it work again, etc.., I suspect the ASUS MOBO drivers) :) but thats for another threat.

I also have an i7 920 with 6Gigs of RAM and a GTX295...

Creeps crashing... I optimized for hours already and it won't stop. Using the 190.07 Drivers now and its still the same

I cant seem to play the game for anymore than a short while before the above happens. I've tried every suggestion going to rectify this and none of it works.

I have the following set up on my new pc:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Power Supply: Coolermaster Real Power M850

Processor: Core i7 920 (overclocked to 3.1Ghz) 8MB Cache Socket 1366

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120

Graphics Card 1: BFG GeForce GTX 295 1792MB PCI Express 2.0

Memory: 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C9 Triple Channel

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe Socket 1366

Hard Disk Drive One: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 32MB Cache SATA 300

Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium Edition

I've been battling with this for months now and quite frankly I've had enough of trying to play ArmA2 on the above new PC. I never had this many problems on my old PC with ArmA 1, which I played for nearly 2.5 years. Incidently, this same PC runs ArmA 2 very well. Its specs are:

Windows XP Home SP3

Processor - Dual Core E6700 (2.67Ghz)

500 Gb Hard Drive,

2Gb (900Mhz) RAM

ATI Radeon x1950 Pro VGA (512Mb)

BIS if you are reading this, then please help as I loved ArmA 1 and I would dearly like to play ArmA 2 on my new PC. My last resort is to turn to OFP DR if I cant play ArmA2.

Try running your CPU @ stock speed, disable HT and update graphic card drivers to newest version. A lot of people are having CTD's with OC'ed CPU's including me(and specially combined with too high video settings, game seems to run fine but eventually end up with a CTD!)

I do have some crackling sound issues in Arma2 .

Crackling sounds? are you sure it ain't the super sonic cracks from bullets you are hearing?

Edited by JW Custom

I also have an i7 920 with 6Gigs of RAM and a GTX295...

Creeps crashing... I optimized for hours already and it won't stop. Using the 190.07 Drivers now and its still the same

Guess you mean 191.07, what else have you tried?

Disable HT?

If CPU oc'ed, tried running @ stock speed?

Lowered video settings?

Guess you mean 191.07, what else have you tried?

Disable HT?

If CPU oc'ed, tried running @ stock speed?

Lowered video settings?

Yes, I meant 191.07.

HT is off...

Video settings are rather low already...

And it makes no difference whether the CPU is OCed or not. It has those problem when non OCed and when OCed. Plus its perfectly stable over several hours of stress testing when OCed...

Yes, I meant 191.07.

HT is off...

Video settings are rather low already...

And it makes no difference whether the CPU is OCed or not. It has those problem when non OCed and when OCed. Plus its perfectly stable over several hours of stress testing when OCed...

I have a i7 920... when it's OC'ed i can play any game i own with maxed out video settings and it can run hour after hour without problems, but in ArmA 2 it eventually ends with a CTD, specially in MP and combined with too high settings!

Many people have reported CTD's when OC'ing CPU!

I have a i7 920... when it's OC'ed i can play any game i own with maxed out video settings and it can run hour after hour without problems, but in ArmA 2 it eventually ends with a CTD, specially in MP and combined with too high settings!

Many people have reported CTD's when OC'ing CPU!

Its not the CPU thats the issue when OC...(8xxx,9xxx,i7's) its the RAM,or PSU. AND the PCI-E frequency.. maybe needs to be 105+.

Once I go to 105 my system won't boot anymore. Not even when upping the PCIE Voltage or such...

103 is the max for me... and it doesn't change a thing whether I am running on 100 or 103

Edited by Alienfreak

Its not the CPU thats the issue when OC...(8xxx,9xxx,i7's) its the RAM,or PSU. AND the PCI-E frequency.. maybe needs to be 105+.

Thats possible, i'm no OC professor :p

Still people have getting rid of CTD's by running @stock speed including myself :)

@JW Custom, "Crackling sounds? are you sure it ain't the super sonic cracks from bullets you are hearing?".... :) I am sure. It was more like a digital distortion even killing my sound alltogether. Switching mode with the creative console would give my sound back. uninstalled the asus software, re/installed the creative software, and more importantly I upgrade the Bios. The newer Bios fixes known USB instabillity issues with my Asus P6T mobo. Now all is fine!

I am sure. It was more like a digital distortion even killing my sound alltogether. Switching mode with the creative console would give my sound back. uninstalled the asus software, re/installed the creative software, and more importantly I upgrade the Bios. The newer Bios fixes known USB instabillity issues with my Asus P6T mobo. Now all is fine!

Hehe okay just had to make sure as some people had those sounds mixed up with being sound issues :p

Great you got it working :cool:

Well sadly those CTDs happen even when at Factory Clockings.

Also other games run flawless on that OCed settings. No matter whether it is Prime 95, Crysis, Risen, Heroes of Newerth, Batman or something else. They just run.

ArmA 2 doesn't.

So its clearly not an issue of OCing but of ArmA 2.

Also other games run flawless on that OCed settings. No matter whether it is Prime 95, Crysis, Risen, Heroes of Newerth, Batman or something else. They just run.

ArmA 2 doesn't.

Well as i said, i can run everygame i own with maxed out video settings and with CPU OC'ed just not ArmA 2 it eventually crashes, sometimes almost as soon as i start a mission other times 10-30 into a mission. When not having my CPU oc'ed i rarely get CTD's and when i do it's often caused by bad scripting and the like.

Well as i said, i can run everygame i own with maxed out video settings and with CPU OC'ed just not ArmA 2 it eventually crashes, sometimes almost as soon as i start a mission other times 10-30 into a mission. When not having my CPU oc'ed i rarely get CTD's and when i do it's often caused by bad scripting and the like.

I never get CTDs instantly.

They always happen after 30 mins to 2 hours of gameplay...

Its always that issue: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2657

Corruption of Textures and Models and then instantly an CTD.

Edited by Alienfreak

I never get CTDs instantly.

They always happen after 30 mins to 2 hours of gameplay...

same here. sometimes the game crashes during autosave/save too.

(i7 920, zotac gtx 260 amp2, win 7 ultimate 64 bit, graphicdriver 191.07 + patch 1.04)

ArmA 2 doesn't.

Alienfreak....you won't get a confession here.....all the admins say its your hardware. Overclocking, video or cpu overheating, etc. Its Arma 2 period. I'm tired of hearing that its your hardware, there are to many people having the issue for all of sudden hardware crapping out.

I can't say for sure because I just built my PC in March or April, but it has run flawlessly with other games and in the OS itself. The only issue seems to be Arma 2! I think its a mix of how Arma 2 is calling the video card or something causing the video drivers to crash.

....all the admins ..
Who are you talking about? Admins? Any hoo it might be good to try any driver before NVDA locked out other vendors form Physx.The 18x.xx versions? Its a odd issue when all my friends that have X58 chipsets and 285's DONT CTD... but then they have two cards or more, and not a 295...

Also if you are CTDing with different OSes and different vidcards.. id say its your MB/RAM.

Also if you are CTDing with different OSes and different vidcards.. id say its your MB/RAM.

Same bollocks again.

Any stress test tool usually stress test your system via equations or such. And guess who is heavily involved there?

Also if the RAM would be faulty ALL games would have to run on faulty RAM and thus producing major errors. Somehow there seems to be a time-space anomaly exchanging my RAM with a faulty one every single time I click on the ArmA 2 link.

Its a odd issue when all my friends that have X58 chipsets and 285's DONT CTD

2 of my (better earning than me ^^) friends also have such a setup. Both have stopped playing ArmA 2 because of the CTDs.

Also check the CIT for a special Bugreport concerning i7 & GTX285

Who are you talking about? Admins? Any hoo it might be good to try any driver before NVDA locked out other vendors form Physx.The 18x.xx versions?

I guess EVERYONE posting here started off with the mystical 182.50 driver. And guess what... for most people it actually got BETTER with the 191.07.

Even despite the fact that I am repeating myself:

No matter what I do with my system, let it be CAD (I use CATIA), let it be MATLAB, Prime 95 (stress tool for CPU & RAM) nothing ever results in wrong results.

-> my RAM & CPU seem to work just fine

No matter which game I am playing Crysis with my GPU reaching 100 Degrees C (while ArmA 2 is a cakewalk on the settings I have to play it with for the GPU, letting it merely reach 82 Degrees C), streaming engines like Black Shark Fallout 3 Prototype or Risen (which actually DID crash 2 times in 43 hours of gameplay, but its Risen and there are ways to produce a lot of CTDs with it but if ArmA 2 would be that stable... wow)... games like Batman, Heroes of Newerth... none ever crash

-> my system seems to do just fine with graphics no matter whether its high end graphics putting 100% load onto the GPU or older games

-----> endconclusion: my system seems to be very stable and reliable under any programm, load, and temperature out there I encountered lately, except ArmA 2. So stop the bollocks with "its your system" already.

Edited by Alienfreak

There must be something wrong setting wise with ArmA 2!

I get CTD's with Video memory set on Default but when setting it on High everything works fine!

My box:

i7 920 (actually got it running @ 3.5ghz without getting CTD's now that i found out about that Video memory setting issue)

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

8 Corsair DDR3 RAM

GeForce GTX 285 (191.07)

So it is possible to get that hardware combo running without persistent CTD's