Sign in to follow this  
ANGRY ARMA FAN

Very angry at constant CTDs

I have had this game for over 2 weeks now and I have spent much more time trying to make it run than I have actually playing it. I would like very much to play this game without constant Crashes to Desktop and or performance more sluggish than a sluggish slug.

Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.8GHZ

Gigabyte EP43-DS3LR

8GB 800Mhz Cosair DDR2 RAM

EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB @ Stock Clocks.

Why, is there no clear way of contacting technical support privately and why do I have to jump through hoops on the Community Issue Tracker to report a SERIOUS BUG.

Please someone help. I have tried everything suggested on this forum and others but still the game is UNPLAYABLE. I am thinking this is the biggest waste of my money since I flushed cash down the toilet.

I have tried all stock settings relating to my CPU. I have run the program in compatability modes. I have used all possible configurations of launch options. I have tried placing a bowl of warm Soup on the PC's Case. I have tried all new drivers, all old drivers, Less RAM, More RAM, CAT Scan. WHERE IS THE ANSWER?!

When do you get the CTD's?

What game version are you on?

Have you read through the this section for similar problems?

What is your video settings?

Give as much info as possible that makes it a lot easier to try help you :)

In missions with a lot of action and with video settings on very high i sometimes get CTD's.

I have also experienced CTD's when i've OC my CPU.

Just for testing try set all video settings on lowest but resolution on something watchable. Then run your CPU on stock speed. Now see if this helps.

did you try remove (physically) 4GB of memory and try that way?

cant help,

but frustrated myself that patch 1.04 has introduced CTDs everytime in multiplayer (domination) for me...only 15 or 20 mins into the game.

pre 1.04, i could play both single and multiplayer for 6-7 hours and never saw a single CTD

haven't installed any other software since Arma2 went on, so its a little frustrating trying to guess what part of my PC that ARMA2 now objects to

will go on the shelf until i've tried OpFpoint2 and can be bothered re-installing clean XP again.

which O.S are u using ? got another O.S to try ? asking you makes me realise i havent tried 1.04 in my vista or win7 partitions yet...thanks for your help ! :)

It's very hard to try and assist when you leave out details. If you have tried everything then give in. or try putting what you have tried.

list things like are missing from your post.

OS which service packs

video driver

video settings

resolution you play @

what point you crashing

what patch your using

just ranting dont help anyone.

Edited by Smee

When Arma2 crashes it displays an error message. This will tell you what file caused the crash. It might say Arma2.exe or it might say d3d9.dll, or something else. Please check and report back.

Good luck, but before you go buy it do yourself a favor and read this thread ;)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87936

yeh doesnt look too promising...so aint got my hopes up about OF2, but should fill int the time until im prepared to have a virgin clean installation of XP to run ARMA2 again...arma2 makes me cry everytime i get this CTD...will take more notice if its arma2.exe or the directx exe crashing ...i think its the former.

Crashes Occur:

In single player + Multiplayer. (More often when near or in a town.)

Graphics Settings = have tried many combinations and CTDs occur always.

All on low + normal + high

Post processing off and on (low + high)

AA and Anistropic OFF and On

Texutures on low + med - High

Time of this report: 10/8/2009, 17:16:53

Machine name: DREADNAUGHT-PC

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: EP43-DS3LR

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.8GHz

Memory: 8190MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Updated Nvidia Drivers and rolled back. Current = 191.07 (tried 190.62 and beta 191.03)

Audio = Soundblaster PCI Express OR Realtek onboard.

Have tried physically removing 2 x 2GB DDR2 sticks (leaving 2 x 2 GB)

Game version is upated by STEAM as it was purchased through them.

Have tried slimming down background services.

Disabled and re-enable EIST function on MoBo

THANKS for all of your rapid Replies!:)

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

several of the crashes logged in the EVENT VIEWER have this as the cause. I have updated DirectX using the Direct X SDK end user runtimes (August 09) download and the other web installer.

Angry or not, we don't allow writing in all capital letters. Not in posts and not in thread titles.

As said before, try reducing your memory to 4 GB (yes not perfect but worth an attempt).

Set your CPU speed back to its original settings (overclocking is often the reason for CTDs).

Make sure you have the latest ArmA2 patch (1.04), also make sure all other drivers are up to date (mainboard, sound etc).

I am very grateful to all of yoiu who spend time trying to help me. It's amazing

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Who are you ? The thought police? Why can i not be angry? There is nothing wrong with writing in capitals. Anger is a valid human emotion and in this case is justified as i have spent my hard earned cash on a product that doesn't do it's job

i did not choose to come here and vent my fustration publicly!

I would like direct technical support with a product i spent money on!

As there is no e-mail address advertised for a technical support representative i saw this as the only alternative.

You are running it in administrator mode right? Not just running it on an admin account

but i hardly ever ever crash... but i would think its your RAM and the game. What speed are you running the RAM at? And what card do you use?(oops, you have a 9800gtx512mb). and what resolution?

EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB @ 1360x768 (Max supported by 32" LCD TV)

CPU @ Stock 3.12Ghz

Ram @ 800 Mhz / 1.9v (stock recommended)

Running in Administrator account

Thanks

Ram @ 800 Mhz / 1.9v (stock recommended)

normally ddr2 is @ 2.1v you sure on the 1.9 also are you using 2 or 4 sticks. presuming you have 4. Are you running at their set them on auto or trying to overclock timings.

This RAM is normally 1.8v but the manufacturer states that these sticks should be run at 1.9v.

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz Auto timings 5-5-5-18

Cheers.

I am gonna try giving them a little more just because that is one thing I haven't tickled yet.