Sign in to follow this  
^Th0mas^

So how far is this game now since release?

When we almost could not play it because of bugs. I didnt buy it, but after watching OfP Dragon Rising to be a epic fail, I now see that I have to.

Hmmm, that's a tough one. If you compare it to Armed Assault, then it's way way advanced. I reckon that ArmA II was at release, as good as Armed Assault will ever get.

But that wasn't what you asked. You see, I'm of the opinion that it was never really unplayable and so comparatively speaking, the level of improvement over it's lifetime so far, has been rather less that it's predecessor.

I'm saying there are no game killing bugs now, but in my opinion, there weren't any anyway. Yes the uber AI was a bit pants, but that really only made the game too hard. That's been fixed now anyway. The majority of the remaining hassles will never be fixed, I think. Think crazy leaping tanks, AI that can't drive/fly, that sort of thing.

When we almost could not play it because of bugs. I didnt buy it, but after watching OfP Dragon Rising to be a epic fail, I now see that I have to.

Its awesomesauce but with the patches and updates that BIS always will make which I love them for :yay: :D expect the game to become really special and have unlimited replayability the only thing that you need to do to like this game is not to give up on the first few plays, customize all of the settings and controls to your likings and play the game to hell until you got everything down and thats when it occurs to you that this game is a total Masterpiece. :cool:

Just play it and invest alot of time into learning commands and the editor great stuff!

No wonder it`ll ever get fixed. You see the same crappy driving and plane AI in 8 years old OfP. To bad a game like this lack good AI.

I think the AI is actually very impressive. They use cover, bounding, flanking, suppression etc.

I think the reason why the AI can seem very stupid sometimes is because to really get the full potential of them they need to be heavily managed. Of course, there is the odd hicup here and there as well.

Since release, the bugs are still there, but there no game-breakers anymore and a lot of the annoying things like the chat bug (the player would perform the action while you typed) are fixed as well.

Perfomance I have found to be ever-so-slightly improved since release but still very intensive. To be honest, look at OFP: DR I can see why it is. a hardware-intensive game. The graphics are 10x better than OFP: DR's

If you have ever played arma 2 on the absoulte max (including 200% 3d resolution) you will:

1) have a slideshow to look at

2) appreciate how authentic it looks.

For example.

Take a look at the banner of the ausarma website (link in sig), that was taken in-game completely uneditied (apart from cropped to fit the size).

If you are expecting Arma 2 to be like CoD 4, Bf2, & DR, than this is not the game for you, you will be in for a rude awakening if you try to bunny hop or go guns blazing in the middle of an open street, Good luck surviving, lol this game definitly owns any of those games as far as realism aspect ; but know that its not an Arcade game as far as the infantry combat goes, so expect to be challeneged.

Its awesomesauce but with the patches and updates that BIS always will make which I love them for :yay: :D expect the game to become really special and have unlimited replayability the only thing that you need to do to like this game is not to give up on the first few plays, customize all of the settings and controls to your likings and play the game to hell until you got everything down and thats when it occurs to you that this game is a total Masterpiece. :cool:

Just play it and invest alot of time into learning commands and the editor great stuff!

Agreed! Once BIS patched it up and with community mod like ACE2 coming up... it's going to be 1 awesome game. Might just last for yearssss...

To me it was a pleasure from the first moment (2 days after release) on.

And I did OFP since 2001 and AA1 from 2004 on.

The pathfinding problem:

I even can sit in the back of a full truck (all my AIs) with one of my AIs driving us neatly to the spot, through towns, woods and sharp corners. Without any problem.

I remembered OFPs pathfinding problems and ... in AA2 he drove absolutely well!

So from my point of view: Bad pathfinding might have something to do with the servers performance. Or with the performance of that special driving AI, which is adjustable through a slider in the editor and sure will be randomely adjusted if you playing missions done by BI or cogamers.

I think the AI is actually very impressive. They use cover,

On the ground the AI are good in offence, but poor in defence. In any vehicle or aircraft, they are really bad.

On the ground the AI are good in offence, but poor in defence. In any vehicle or aircraft, they are really bad.

Ah yes very valid points. The pathfinding could certinaly use some improvements, as well as crashing into trees, which I must admit, seems to occure less often now then it used to.

With the latest beta patch i thought the AI driving was actually very good....

I never had any problems (a couple of CTDs since I bought it) so I guess it has gone as far as... it was, but better?

With patch 1.04, it runs quite well.

Rarely a few CTD, some problems with the AI sometimes. (Pathfinding, Defense)

But meanwhile a good game.

I've played this game from demo day one and yes there has been annoying bugs but nothing that kept me from playing and enjoying it most of the time.

There's been a lot of improvement since first version and it's getting better on every update.

If your looking for milsim realism this is the game, there's simply no other games out there that can compare to that.

Before you buy the game do yourself a favor and read around the forums and see if this is really what your looking for and if your computer can handle it, ArmA 2 is very CPU greedy!

I reckon that ArmA II was at release, as good as Armed Assault will ever get.

Somebody with your nickname should know better.

The viewdistance in arma2 is still inferior to arma1 concerning tankwarfare at larger distances. It's a biggy as far as I'm concerned.

Somebody with your nickname should know better.

The viewdistance in arma2 is still inferior to arma1 concerning tankwarfare at larger distances. It's a biggy as far as I'm concerned.

Hehe fair point. :) I'm using the view distance tweak which mitigates that to a point.

Well if you remember the view distance in Arma1 was only souped up in a patch, I imagine when BI were confident that their optimisations could handle it.

I also have no problem with friendly AI, setting them to crouch, engage and silent/danger is great for both defense and offense, and merely setting them back to Aware when I need them to keep up. This is something that wasn't emphasised enough in the manual or in the various guides was EXACTLY what each command will make the AI do in each situation, and largely to blame for the confusions about crap AI where many player are concerned.

Well if you remember the view distance in Arma1 was only souped up in a patch, I imagine when BI were confident that their optimisations could handle it.

ARMA1 v101 i could set 10k, not that i could play with that. and i see most poster with "issues" post about how they run 4000 or more in a another post....duh