Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Does anyone still play ARMA2?

I play OFP more than ArmA and ArmA2...

Are you sure you have the latest patch installed?

I haven't played in a while, once the game is updated i'll see how many servers are up. THere used to be loads! I was in a clan, but i couldn't keep up with the schedules, i prefer being able to play when i feel like it.

I only play private games with a couple of friends. None of them can handle ArmA2 yet, so I've simply been familiarizing myself with the game and preparing to port addons from ArmA1 to ArmA2. :)

What do you dislike about the AI? I've always felt they make excellent cannon fodder.

Performance and bugs drove many ppl away but theres also the fact that many found themselves doing what they've done to death in the previous game.

I think the comunity is split betwean those who play the game, those who got bored with it, those waiting to afford new hardware, those waiting for patches and those waiting/hopeing Arrowhead will be much better.

I was more driven away by the players than by my performance problems, even though I still have to play with low textures (trees suck bigtime now). Last I checked the public games I tried was still plagued by idiots trying to ruin the game instead of playing the game. So currently I only play on our own locked server with a few friends. Unfortunately most of the other geeks have a life, so they're only allowed to play once a week :D

Play it everyday. Unfortunatelly not on PUB servers though - too much morons. And not too much on private ones either atm as im waiting for ACE2.

EDIT: Might have to add that i use the editor a lot (like many others i guess) cause i want to learn more. I have tons of fun just messing out in the editor as im that kind of guy that likes to ...mess around with stuff. :)

And i will never buy OFP2. The sell tag on some of the swedish sites here saying "The longed for sequel from CM is here". What fucking sequel? I thaught that was ArmA.

Fuckbags.

Edited by Alex72

I dunno what people are talking about when they say people got driven away by this and that.

I play almost everyday that be pub servers or missions i host myself and there's many people around. Yes sure you'll meet morons on pub servers, but some of them are actually monitored pretty well and those who won't behave properly simply gets kicked, if that not works... banned :D

My fave servers are:

=WBG= Tactical Gamers Pub

1 Parachute

I've had some fantastic experiences on those servers.

WOOT! Had about 20 people on the BMF 'HOLD' server. What great battles!

*And I gotta get pgill back!

KFSFFFFE KKFKFJFJJ ;;;E;DDPPD;;D;SPFUCK:butbut:

fool?

Luhgnut;1458046']Read his previous posts. Most of his threads got locked cause of Spam. Placebo whacked him a good one on one of em. Rambling about school shootings. Adding children to the battlefield. Whatever.

Completely accurate information based on all of the things I've ever posted. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

I played Operation Flashpoint for several years beginning in 2002. Before playing OFP I had played and enjoyed games such as Goldeneye 007 (N64/FPS)' date=' Perfect Dark (N64/FPS), Half-Life (PC/FPS), Counter-Strike (PC/FPS), Battlezone (PC/FPS/RTS), and Battlezone II (PC/FPS/RTS). Of all those games, I had really enjoyed the Battlezone series the most. The combination of command strategy and first person shooter elements were truly fantastic and even though the AI was terrible I could play BZ1 or BZ2 for HOURS on end without getting bored or frustrated enough to stop playing. Then, enter Operation Flashpoint: I don't even know why I picked up OFP off the store shelf back then - I think that it was the cool name and box cover -- no joke -- but little did I know that it would dominate the next 4+ years of my life as I became an active member of the small but tight-knit community.

I wasn't around early on so I can't say too much about the condition of OFP's release... but what I do know is that when I started playing, there was literally no way (in my mind) to make Operation Flashpoint more awesome. It had everything that anyone could have wanted. Planes, helicopters, tanks, boats, cars, infantry, large open landscapes. Great performance for me was 12fps – but that was on a 500mhz Duron with a Voodoo 3 graphics card. That didn’t lessen the experience any though. I played regularly on a public capture and hold server full of public players. My ping wasn’t too horrible and neither was anyone else’s – it was a US server with US players, and some Europeans mixed in. I played regularly – every night, for hours, on a packed server.

[u']Now, stuff that I have to say:[/u]

I think that the 1.30 update was a revelation for a lot of people. BIS was kind enough to add a BRDM, BMP2, M2A2, and a few other little things to the arsenal. It was like: holy shit, you mean you guys can add more vehicles this “easily�! Pretty soon I started downloading addons – back when the only thing people could do was retexture stuff, since none of the SDK was released to the public. And I joined the BIS forums. I remember when Eviscerator modified the UH-60 to look like a Huey – everyone was like: holy shit, this is AWESOME. We want MORE! After some time, BIS released SDK tools to a limited group of people, and after some more time, they released it to everyone. A lot of fantastic addons were made by a lot of people.

However, between OFP, ArmA, and ArmA2, stand-alone addons have never been successful in multiplayer games – which is – in my opinion – despite the often-times horrendous net code – the only game mode worth playing in BIS’ games. I tried to organize an addon server through the forums and this failed – not because people don’t want to play with addons, but because of a combination of reasons:

* There are very few multiplayer missions made. Of the few that are made, even fewer are made that incorporate standalone addons because it introduces dependencies and other problems. Often times, especially in the 1.75+ era, addons had a boatload of scripting attached that would often times break in multiplayer.

* Addons are big. No one wants to download addons. People on these forums didn’t even want to have to download addons. Everyone was starting to micro manage their addon folders back then and it would take 30 minutes just to figure out which mod folders were needed to run a mission. For the average player, it’s even worse. It cannot be expected of the average gamer to be able to do what all of us here on the BIS forums deem as routine work and maintenance in terms of addons.

* In 1.75+ era Flashpoint, mods that modified the HUD, particle effects, movement, etc began to come out. This fad has continued through ArmA and ArmA2. I have no problem with this kind of thing in single player, but in multiplayer it has no place. Sound mods, texture mods, vehicle and infantry and weapon replacements all introduce unfair advantages. This coupled with additional features added through scripting, in my mind, is cheating. In fact, this methodology has been used by cheaters in OFP, ArmA, and ArmA2 to ruin multiplayer games for a LONG time. And yet still, virtually has nothing has changed from the server admin's perspective. It is still as archaic as OFP 1.46 to admin an ArmA2 server. We wanted more functionality. We needed additional features. But we got nothing.

Now, what BIS should have done and should be doing:

A larger array of vehicles and units and weapons should have been included thus reducing the need for so many addons to fill gaps. The playing field should have been at LEAST leveled, giving each vehicle on each side a comparable adversary. I am a stickler for realism, but you know what, real life war isn’t fun. Technologies of today may not be equal in terms of our opponents in guerilla warfare, but until BIS improves on close-quarters AI and on other things, there is very little point in having asymmetrical warfare in a video game like this.

The islands of Malden, Everon, Kolgujev, Desert Island, Nogova, and Sahrani should have all been ported and improved to ArmA2 standards and included by default. Scripting commands from OFP and ArmA1 should have been made backwards compatible to ArmA2. Classnames should have been backwards compatible. People complain about Evolution, Domination, and AAS being the only game types played in multiplayer. If BIS had ported the islands and everything, we’d have 10,000 missions to play instead of just 10! “Oh, but that’s so much work!†You know what? Most of the people I’ve talked to who played OFP and ArmA1 don’t have very many good things to say about “Chernarusâ€. BIS could have scrapped Chernarus and just ported the old islands instead more successfully. “But that’s kind of unorthodox, and out of the ordinary, and strange!†Well you know what, with the way BIS is doing things now, doing this would fit right in!

I’ve already been thinking and typing about this stuff for 30 minutes, and I had to leave an hour ago. There are so many other things intertwined with what I wrote above that I feel as though I've made an incomplete or invald argument. Maybe I’ll write more. Maybe not. Because who even cares?

Edited by blackdog~
clarification.

hell yeah, still playing ARMA 2. hopefully lost abunch of rambo, halo, bf2 fanboys to OFP

I just bought this game the other day. God I love it. I played OPFP when it first came out. I loved it the lack of team cohesion sucked im MP. Im looking forward to playing with mature members from here and on other boards.

hell yeah, still playing ARMA 2. hopefully lost abunch of rambo, halo, bf2 fanboys to OFP

So much hate just because someone likes a game that you don't. Chill man.

Ive got new love for Arma2 after DepressionRising.

Mostly I don't play it any more, too many problems with the damned mods :( I just can't seem to get everything working. And the mods conflict with dedicated servers and sigh, when OA comes out I'll get right back though :D

Just play it without mods then, easy if you use a good launcher. Ill try connect with my sound mods on a server and if it kicks me i alt-f4 then de-select the mods and it takes seconds to reload with out mods.

Ive got new love for Arma2 after DepressionRising.

100% agreed. Also great new fail word:

"DepressionRising."

So far, http://www.armaleague.com/news.php has 18* teams signed up for a CTF league. Tha's probably somewhere between 150-200 players (though I haven't counted them). So there are definitely players out there.... I do agree though that we have some way to go before the MP scene is anything like what we had in OFP.

*Edit - make that 19 teams.... either the 11th Oct registration deadline or the disappoint of OFP-DR has caused a lot of registrations in the last week :)

Edited by sbsmac

I'm finding it hard to find servers with ppl in them and i think its down to new players not having a clue when they join MP, i think someone should make a sticky for them, just to give them a helping hand to get them started something easy for them to understand with pics showing the map and pointing out how they get the i.e use the flag pole to parajump or spawn at the MHQ

The missions themselves should be made simple to understand. If it has some special concepts, it should be explained in the briefing or better yet, made obvious without any kind of documentation.

Even so, MP is not just Warfare and evolution/domination.