Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Does anyone still play ARMA2?

I live in the central US time zone and can not find one full server.

I only play HOLD (the ultimate ARMA 2 experience) and even on the weekends, you will only find one server 3/4 full. But on the weekdays, forget about it. No one is on! And that goes for almost every server.

What is going on?

I definatly still play it, I can usually find servers to when ever I go online.

Just let the server list will all the way up and look for a populated server bud!

Also try differnt tiems of the day/night!

I think more and more people are realizing that24/7 pub servers are shit. They're starting to join up with organized, moderated, tactical gameplay servers; which usually only play a few days/week. The server I play on only plays 2 nights, and then sometimes some 'fun' play on the weekends or if one of the mission makers is testing a mission.

If you look in the ArmA 2 - SQUADS AND FANPAGES forum you'll see a lot of people asking for info on joining organized play

Trust me, they're there, but you will have to look for them

I still play. I usually can be found on the BMF and C5 servers.

Remember PvP is second to Coop, this game is too stiff for fluid PvP.

Also to get the most out of this game you need to be part of a team with Comms and organised nights, Public play is hit and miss.

I just looked at the server list there is under 300 players total playing. Wow, that is pretty sad.

Remember PvP is second to Coop, this game is too stiff for fluid PvP.

Also to get the most out of this game you need to be part of a team with Comms and organised nights, Public play is hit and miss.

screw coop. AI is a game killer. PvP is where the action is. And everytime you kill someone you know it was another person trying to do the same to you and not some script.

screw coop. AI is a game killer. PvP is where the action is. And everytime you kill someone you know it was another person trying to do the same to you and not some script.

This is where the problem presents itself. At any rate, I generally play with groups of friends on small coops we make. Very fun.

lol each to his own; but how is the AI a game killer? If the missions are made RIGHT, the AI is a formidable opponent.

I think you'll find most of the people who play do it with organised matches. Pub play for arma is far from desirable from a tacical point.

i'm switching over to operation flashpoint : dragon rising for the moment .

Haven't been playing arma a lot, got married and moved to a new place with no internet yet but damn if i play arma and my wife's sitting on the sofa by herself!! i'm getting internet connection this wednesday and will play online on Saturday and Sunday, man life is hectic.

I too live in the US Central timezone, and I play as much as I can. The problem is that I am subsisting on a meager little laptop until I repair my 'DOOM PC.' I have yet to try the multiplayer because of this. I intend to fix my PC within the next few months. I would be happy to play with anyone I can find assuming I get the game up and running soon. I can barely play it on my laptop.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

i'm switching over to operation flashpoint : dragon rising for the moment .

It is a sad sham of a game when compared to the likes of ArmA II. BIS definately created a better product here. OFP: DR is more stable, but it is not as deep or realistic as ArmA II. I am deeply disappointed in OFP: DR.

Its good to hear the op have find what really made this game so great (evenbthrough I disagreed with the ai=game killer speech), you just cant find this enjoyment in dom and evo

I havent played much MP since many servers dosent allow english language mod (on german version). Even if it allows, the mission could be still be partly in german. I wish we could finally get official english language for all versions. Currently its like watching "The Simpsons" with forced finnish dubbing. Discrimination is a word for this.

But I am playing with the editor almost everyday. Its a endless fun for years.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to bother with online as the editor and custom downloaded modules keep me entertained.

You're question should have been "Does anyone still play ArmA2 online" as there are tons playing the game , just not online.

You're question should have been "Does anyone still play ArmA2 online" as there are tons playing the game , just not online.

Really??? most depend on where in the world you live because here in europe i have no problems finding a populated server, sometimes i even have to wait for servers to have room for me :)

I have a feeling that the MP scene hasn't reached its zenith yet. The game is still being fixed by patches, mission makers are still getting used to the game and the best missions are yet to come. It was the same in the previous games, both OFP and A1 had a quiet first few months and then they started to thrive.

We finally have some PVP/TVT missions coming out to the public that seem worth playing. Hopefully we can see a consistency of players hosting them now to alleviate the issue of not enough players. You have to find the right server and the right group to hang with and honestly that is easier said than done. I am in the East Coast USA and know what you mean. I work 3rd shift so I have gaming time spread out in various areas, lol. I think us USA folks find it more difficult because it seems that ARMA/OFP is dominated by folks not in the US so when they go to play the number of online players is not the same as during the day and it's mostly coop and a turn off.

For example (nothing against TDM mission makers) I haven't seen 1 good working TDM mission until [sBS]mac spent hours on end working with my input on proper Screen Score Display, Random spawn markers to help prevent a spawn camp fest (Never use a safe zone in TDM because a winning team will just hide in a safe zone), consistent time indicators and weapon setups, loadouts, and retaining loadouts when dead.

I'm not saying TDM is a great gametype, (although I tend to like it alot it), but am saying that it has taken until recently to have this basic gametype in good working order. The same goes for other generic gametypes that folks are used to seeing in vanilla type games - DM with on screen scoring and leaderboard indicators, Attack & Defend with 1 basic objective where your team knows what they are doing without being clueless. It goes on. Truth is good MP PVP missions need simplicity as the majority of folks don't want to have to spend alot of time to figure out what they should be doing. Some also may only have 15-30 minutes to game so where are the games that have short rounds? They are now coming out, at least the 4 missions I recently put out have. them...

Also there are still some mission makers who either don't know how to include notes or are too lazy to think they are important, but that is a key feature to any mission made. If I was rating a misison I would put some weight on the Notes being there or not as well as understandable.

To the main poster of this thread I'd say hang in there. I am looking to try and setup events where allocated dates/times can foster these PVP games and maybe something can take off from there...

In Operation Flashpoint circa 2002-2003 I could jump on a full public C&H server at almost any time of the day and have a hell of a good time. This was without JIP mind you -- I can only imagine how many more players there would have been if we didn't have to wait 30 minutes between games that already started.

Those were the days. Good times.

I played ArmA2 for about a month, and haven't played it since.

I could ramble about why and how I believe that ArmA2 has turned out to be a total failure in terms of multiplayer enjoyability, but at this stage, what is the point?

I could ramble about why and how I believe that ArmA2 has turned out to be a total failure in terms of multiplayer enjoyability, but at this stage, what is the point?

Well seeing you have over 6000 posts and been a member since early 2002 and not just a 1 post poster saying "where to get a refund" makes me wanna hear, plz?

We finally have some PVP/TVT missions coming out to the public that seem worth playing. Hopefully we can see a consistency of players hosting them now to alleviate the issue of not enough players. You have to find the right server and the right group to hang with and honestly that is easier said than done. I am in the East Coast USA and know what you mean. I work 3rd shift so I have gaming time spread out in various areas, lol. I think us USA folks find it more difficult because it seems that ARMA/OFP is dominated by folks not in the US so when they go to play the number of online players is not the same as during the day and it's mostly coop and a turn off.

For example (nothing against TDM mission makers) I haven't seen 1 good working TDM mission until [sBS]mac spent hours on end working with my input on proper Screen Score Display, Random spawn markers to help prevent a spawn camp fest (Never use a safe zone in TDM because a winning team will just hide in a safe zone), consistent time indicators and weapon setups, loadouts, and retaining loadouts when dead.

I'm not saying TDM is a great gametype, (although I tend to like it alot it), but am saying that it has taken until recently to have this basic gametype in good working order. The same goes for other generic gametypes that folks are used to seeing in vanilla type games - DM with on screen scoring and leaderboard indicators, Attack & Defend with 1 basic objective where your team knows what they are doing without being clueless. It goes on. Truth is good MP PVP missions need simplicity as the majority of folks don't want to have to spend alot of time to figure out what they should be doing. Some also may only have 15-30 minutes to game so where are the games that have short rounds? They are now coming out, at least the 4 missions I recently put out have. them...

Also there are still some mission makers who either don't know how to include notes or are too lazy to think they are important, but that is a key feature to any mission made. If I was rating a misison I would put some weight on the Notes being there or not as well as understandable.

To the main poster of this thread I'd say hang in there. I am looking to try and setup events where allocated dates/times can foster these PVP games and maybe something can take off from there...

I hope you can do something. I know many here enjoy playing computer opponents, but the fact is, the money is where good PvP is. Just look at every successful FPS. ARMA2 has the potential for greatness. However their internet coding needs a lot of work. Games like "HOLD" have shown the players we BIS has what it takes to win at this but performance must be improved. To much LAG in an FPS will drive many away.

There are more to games than online multiplayer though, it annoys me that it seems to be the primary focus these days. Arma 2 is great in single player mode :)

Well seeing you have over 6000 posts and been a member since early 2002 and not just a 1 post poster saying "where to get a refund" makes me wanna hear, plz?

Read his previous posts. Most of his threads got locked cause of Spam. Placebo whacked him a good one on one of em. Rambling about school shootings. Adding children to the battlefield. Whatever.