Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Making Razor Team invulnerable?

I'm stuck on the second mission, the amphibious assault. My team keeps getting chewed up by the Shilka as we come down the hill. After a few restarts and dropping enemy skill to 0 I've come my wit's end.

I've unpacked the mission .pbo end either I'm going to remove the Shilka or if there is some script to make members of my team invulnerable. I have no problem dying, but to have mission objectives center around hoping the AI doesn't do something stupid is hard to swallow.

TIA

sure would. As we come down the hill I've searched every soldier I can find and no one has a RPG. Only way I can think of to beat it. My team gets torn up as we cross the flat land into the town. I know a rocket soldier is called out as a target, but I can never get to him before the team gets hit. They don't stick to lanes that block the LOS of the Shilka as they approach town. Very frustrating concidering I cannot control the team, it is out of my hands.

sure would. As we come down the hill I've searched every soldier I can find and no one has a RPG. Only way I can think of to beat it. My team gets torn up as we cross the flat land into the town. I know a rocket soldier is called out as a target, but I can never get to him before the team gets hit. They don't stick to lanes that block the LOS of the Shilka as they approach town. Very frustrating concidering I cannot control the team, it is out of my hands.

I got an RPG before that. Maybe it was in the first mission or maybe at the bottom of the hill where you battle some guys.

Edited by jeffroland

Guess I could have scrounged a RPG when iwas in the village for the first mission, but that's a little unfair mission design.

Who said war is fair when not even life is fair. ;)

To answer the question, you could make them invulnerable but it would kill the game. Instead you could add some more RPG guy somewhere. Or give your team an M136.

The real problem with the mission design is that you don't have control of the team at this point. Miles just runs ahead blindly into opposing forces... and dies every time. If the player were team leader then you could just avoid the Shilka by going around it.

Anyway, I'm sure there are some RPG soldiers around to kill. Pay attention to every soldier that your team kills. If worst comes to worst then revert back to the first mission.

Exactly I would have no problem if I was leading because then it's my own stupid fault. What irks me is that I have no control over the success and failure (which is real life, but here we have a game with no dynamic outcomes).

What it comes down to is that I am having to learn how to play the 'game' instead of worrying about proper tactics.

Don't worry. After you figure out how to beat this mission you'll get control of the squad for the remainder of the campaign.

well, figured out all the editor stuff and set them so they will not take damage and restarted the mission......and a damn air asset took out the Shilka in the first 5 minutes :crazy:

I cant believe your running into problems that early in the game. I honestly never had a problem getting past that point. But I also always run out way infront of my group and start firing first, I never had an RPG either. Maybe you need to engage the enemy first, it seems once your group has engaged they sort of go into danger mode and act a lot more careful.

I think what happenned after I entered the script is what is supposed to happen. The Shilka was taken care of by other assests. Call it blind luck, but after 5+ restarts having the same thing happen gets frustrating.

I cant believe your running into problems that early in the game. I honestly never had a problem getting past that point. But I also always run out way infront of my group and start firing first, I never had an RPG either. Maybe you need to engage the enemy first, it seems once your group has engaged they sort of go into danger mode and act a lot more careful.

You can order your team members into 'danger mode' by pressing ^ - 7 - 2. You also can order them to stay crouced with ^ - 7 - 7.

You 'newbies' should maybe check this. ;)

Edited by W0lle

All very well and nice, but the issue with this mission is that you are not in control of the squad, the ai is. And with that means you don't have control preventing them from running into the engagement range of an angry Zoo.

All very well and nice, but the issue with this mission is that you are not in control of the squad, the ai is. And with that means you don't have control preventing them from running into the engagement range of an angry Zoo.

:whistle:

Maybe I should play the campaign some day on my own...

How do you make them invulnerable, dude?

Pretty simple really. I got a pbo extractor ( tons to choose from different editting sites )

Went to the addons folder and extracted the mission pbo. You can then navigate to the mission folder you wish to modify.

Move that to your profile mission folder ( I use Vista so it's in the documents folder, ie ArmA2\users\yourprofile\missions

from there you open it in the editor. Double click on the object you want to edit, ie the squad teammate, let's say Miles.

In the unit property there will be a name box, in it, it says for example BIS_Miles. You don't have to do anything with the name, just know where to look for it.

In the scripting window there will be a ton of scripts already added. I went to the end, put a ; then added the setdamage varible. It looks like : unitname setDamage false

so for Miles I added BIS_Miles setDamage false

Then you edit everyone else you want, save the file, re compile it into the mission pbo and play away.

I just want to add im stuck on the 1st mission and i got bored beacuse I completed the laser task but miles didnt continue on with the mission so I unloaded my whole M16 clip in his face and it did nothing I then picked up a enemy machine gun and sprayed the whole squad and they were not fazed by this. Is it normal for them to be Invinsable on the 1st mission?

LRK89,

Sometimes triggers don't fire in ARMAII. I'd replay the mission from the start. As for for the invincible teammates it's probably one of those weird bugs that happens every once and a while.

Today i played third time this mission since release and never i have been shot by that shilka. :confused:

Every time some other friendly unit has destroyed it long before i start to move closer to town.

Today i played third time this mission since release and never i have been shot by that shilka. :confused:

Every time some other friendly unit has destroyed it long before i start to move closer to town.

I think the first time I played the campaign the Shilka was destroyed by the time I got to it. The second time I played it was not. However, once I was finally able to destroy the Shilka and able to proceed to the city, I ran maybe 150 meters past it and there were several allied units including a couple of LAVs just sitting there doing nothing. I don't understand why they didn't engage the Shilka. Surely there was LOS to it as the Shilka was patrolling the area.

I enjoy the variation of the missions but sometimes I wonder why things do or don't happen.

same problem here. no chance getting to hit the shilka before my team gets mowed down. Even if I rush past all the OPFORs to kill the RPG Guy first. My team is either stuck in the forest fighting bad guys downhills (those I rushed past), or moving across the field to the houses (if I decide to handle the bad guys first). No matter what: the shilka moves up to the crossroads at the storage facility to the right and fires at my team. I don't have the time to kill the shilka, since I can't get near enough before someone dies. Maybe it's because of ACE2 - trying that out without it.

No, it's not ACE, neither ZEUS AI or GL4. Just bad mission design here :(

I enjoy the variation of the missions but sometimes I wonder why things do or don't happen.

Exactly. Not going to replay that mission for a thousand times until the shilka decides to stay where it was

If there isn't a bulletproof hint how to do this I am going to delete that shilka out of the mission once and for all

EDIT:

done it. used the editor and changed waypoint of the shilka. maybe this is how it is meant to be played, eh?

no way getting past that b**ch without getting my team killed

Edited by Makake