Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

But how can a game that doesn't even live up to the standards of OFP have the "OFP feeling"? It doesn't make sense. Also, I can't recall either of the OFP demo missions being similar to the first mission of the DR campaign.

I wouldn't care what so ever if Codemasters had taken the OFP part of the name out of it, but they didn't. And they produced something that in no way, shape, or form resembles it's predecessor. Yet they continue to market it like that, and even took customers away from the real people behind OFP, BIS, only to have them realize that it's a game, not a simulator, and a pretty badly made game at that.

I can understand you enjoying it since you're playing it on the PS3 and have nothing else offered to you in the genre. However, we're annoyed because the true OFP fanbase was completely neglected in order for CM to boost profit off of the console players, such as yourself. Heck, I might have even enjoyed the game more if I played it on a console, but no, I played it on the PC, how it should have been meant to play given it being advertised as a sequel to OFP.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if DR2 is a console only game. Their PC market currently hates their guts, and the console market is slightly less hateful. They made most of their sales off the console market too, since it's much harder to pirate games on current generation consoles. If that were to happen, then Codemasters would officially become my most hated developer of all time.

Indeed, I don't have anything against people liking DR, but some of what Daddl says is just plain misinformation/ignorance.

Enjoy the game by all means, but understand that CM were consistently dishonest where the PC version is concerned.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Classic quote from someone who quite clearly DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE
Sorry, explain that to me. The modding restrictions were known beforehand, and much of the other stuff, too. Of course not every glitch and bug (or how the game actually handles), but the nearer the game came to it's release, the more details were known - especially if you read this forum. If you bought the game anyways...
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if DR2 is a console only game. Their PC market currently hates their guts, and the console market is slightly less hateful. They made most of their sales off the console market too, since it's much harder to pirate games on current generation consoles. If that were to happen, then Codemasters would officially become my most hated developer of all time.
Why, in that case it wouldn't bother you anyways - as you use the PC to play games. While I fully agree with you that the name Operation Flashpoint should either have gone to BIS or been buried for good, I don't see this game as OFPs successor. In the end a name's a name's a name... and nothing more.

Whether the game as such is enjoyable depends as much on the game as on your expectations and attitude towards it: 'the truth is in the eye of the beholder' as the saying goes. Maybe my expectations simple weren't so high from the beginning, so I can rather enjoy it than being disappointed? Note that I haven't (and won't) propose it as a candidate for 'game of the year', and multiplayer (without the possibility for custom coop missions like the ones I did for OFP) is completely unimportant for me. What do I care if that part of the game sucks!?

Edited by Daddl

Sorry, explain that to me. The modding restrictions were known beforehand

Not really. The moderators even said that they were in small openable files that were similar to BIS' .pbo system. That comment has since been removed, of course. But it was definitely there.

Not really. The moderators even said that they were in small openable files that were similar to BIS' .pbo system. That comment has since been removed, of course. But it was definitely there.
That's news to me, as far as I know it was said before the release that it wouldn't be possible to mod the game as much as it was possible with OFP, but then I didn't follow all the discussions and only read this forum for info. So maybe some misinformation I had just turned out to be true. ;)

That's news to me, as far as I know it was said before the release that it wouldn't be possible to mod the game as much as it was possible with OFP, but then I didn't follow all the discussions and only read this forum for info. So maybe some misinformation I had just turned out to be true. ;)

Yeah, it's news to you because you are woefully underinformed on the subject of CM's broken promises concerning DR.

As I said, enjoy the game but most of us are a lot more "au courant" than you seem to be.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Sorry, explain that to me. The modding restrictions were known beforehand, and much of the other stuff, too. Of course not every glitch and bug (or how the game actually handles), but the nearer the game came to it's release, the more details were known drastically changed or removed - especially if you read this forum. If you bought the game anyways...

Further to that correction, most of the "changes" (AKA deception) only started to show up a week or two before launch.

Yeah, it's news to you because you are woefully underinformed on the subject of CM's broken promises concerning DR.

As I said, enjoy the game but most of us are a lot more "au courant" than you seem to be.

[...]

Further to that correction, most of the "changes" (AKA deception) only started to show up a week or two before launch.

Well, listening month after month to what a professional pr department had to churn out (a good part of that being just test balloons to check out the market), analysing even the tiniest bit as if it were the big news? I can live without having been up-to-date or following so closely to that. Once a game is released or close to release, only then it's when things get interesting. And somehow I seem to have been a lot less surprised by what I found in the package than many others... Think about it. ;)

Happy weekend with your favourite game! Off for some nice game-free time in the fresh air. :)

Well, listening month after month to what a professional pr department had to churn out (a good part of that being just test balloons to check out the market), analysing even the tiniest bit as if it were the big news? I can live without having been up-to-date or following so closely to that. Once a game is released or close to release, only then it's when things get interesting. And somehow I seem to have been a lot less surprised by what I found in the package than many others... Think about it. ;)

Happy weekend with your favourite game! Off for some nice game-free time in the fresh air. :)

Same to you bud :)

Yah GOD DAMNED addictive L4D2. Shame the Demo is so small.

I can always get some editing done in A2.

Sorry, explain that to me. The modding restrictions were known beforehand, and much of the other stuff, too. Of course not every glitch and bug (or how the game actually handles), but the nearer the game came to it's release, the more details were known - especially if you read this forum. If you bought the game anyways...

Actually no they weren't known beforehand. I'm not sure where you were during all of this, but having a section devoted to modding in their forums, Viiiper having gone to CM on invitation and even hinting in PMs that you were able to "mod", is not knowing "beforehand." The North American director of marketing for CM even hinted this. I'm trying to find his vid that he released about four months ago, but can't seem to find it. I think his name of Tim and the last name sounded Italian.

Well arent you an angry young man?

WWIIONLINE IS SHIT!

SIGN MY STUPID PETITION!

CANCEL YOUR PREORDER FOR THAT GAME THAT TIME!

DR IS RUBBISH!

THAT GUY SOUNDS ITALIAN!

do us a favour and unplug your keyboard.

Modding in ofp is taking tentative steps forward, its possible it will die before it gets going but thats another matter.

Something I ran across <LINK REMOVED>

Well, they asked for it, with no DVD Key.

This is the beginning of the end, and this is online.

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Cheating vids

ive got dr on 360 and ive played it on pc and i dont think its a console port...i think its a racing company making shooter games personally...the focus is utterly annoying how you cant look beyond the ugly grass in front of you to see the enemy 25-50m away shooting at you...the bugs i am looking past because that seems to be the norm with games these days so i will excuse those elements..

The fov is so tunneled you lose all sense of awareness of where your teammates are it is extremely hard to get a feel for where YOU are in relation to n,s,e,w because of this as well, i dont personally own arma2 because im building another rig but ive played it on a friends and this has never been a problem for me and it was never a problem in arma

the only way to call out bearings is via binoculars so calling out specifics can be rather difficult...wish i could look at the compass and say 163 degrees left of the rock but instead it turns into too much mic chatter explaining something so simple - now couple that with the limited fov and bad focusing and it amplifies this problem

i dont like the fact that wounded enemies can keep running after being shot in the thigh - not a lag problem because it happens in sp...unknown if its a bug

mounted weapons on vehicles are impossible to use or remotely aim while moving...apparently vehicles dont have brakes until the engine is cut off, braking requires traction and almost all military vehicles have plenty of that,

enemies can be extremely hard to spot do to the ultra high contrast, its so high that woodland marpat looks like dirty desert marpat...the game looks alot better at night because of this

the menu is really nice, the music is different but gives a unique feel to the menu's lol, umm vehicles look pretty good, the flir is nice but not realistic, the sounds are good, the game is stable and easy on systems, it almost seems finished...i think it should have been delayed and given about 5 more months to make it complete

Luhgnut;1477185']Something I ran across <LINK REMOVED>

Well' date=' they asked for it, with no DVD Key.

This is the beginning of the end, and this is online.[/quote']

riveting tale chap but,

<LINK REMOVED>

or worse:

<LINK REMOVED>

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Cheating vids

Well arent you an angry young man?

WWIIONLINE IS SHIT!

SIGN MY STUPID PETITION!

CANCEL YOUR PREORDER FOR THAT GAME THAT TIME!

DR IS RUBBISH!

THAT GUY SOUNDS ITALIAN!

do us a favour and unplug your keyboard.

Modding in ofp is taking tentative steps forward, its possible it will die before it gets going but thats another matter.

It was directly quoted that DR will not be moddable by the community. they are going to charge for downloadable content. That is confirmed. Hence the encrypted files. The guys that are "modding" aren't "modding" they are "hacking" they are altering the HEX code of the game directly. Sorry, but you are dead wrong about them allowing it to be open source. They are going to milk this as long as they can.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Yeah, battleeye took care of Arma1.

Arma2 uses a code that links it directly to your copy. You get caught hacking, they ban you by your code. Doesn't matter if you change your name, change IP addresses. You name it. And I have yet to see anybody running like 6 million dollar man, unkillable, insta-spawning, etc.

The problem with DR, is that they released it without a CD key, the hackers just downloaded it, and hacked it, and now they can do whatever they wish, whenever they wish. And the guys that got screwed are the guys that paid for the game. Sure there are going to be cheaters, ever since one caveman had a larger piece of meat to eat, but to simply allow a game to openly be hacked with no retribution. CM put it to there players big time with that. There is no anti-cheat precautions at all. If they can hack the AI, and there is no anti-cheat ability on a server, since there isn't a dedicated server, they can edit the hex code on the fly. I saw a vid of a guy chucking an endless pile of handgrenades.. just spamming as fast as he could. Online, while everybody was screaming about it. They couldn't boot him, he just ran around and did whatever he wanted. No dedicated server, no cd key, no anti-cheat. Sounds like a winning combination.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

???

I never said DR was open source.

I even stated it will die before it gets started.

On the second point though,

Youre probably right. Ive never seen hacking in arma2. (nor have i seen it in DR).

By having no protection it is easier to hack, but even with protection it is still possible.

Edited by xmongx

Links removed to the cheating/hacking videos. Steer clear for posting them, DR, ArmA, BF2, whatever, they're not allowed on these forums.

Links removed to the cheating/hacking videos. Steer clear for posting them, DR, ArmA, BF2, whatever, they're not allowed on these forums.

sorry....

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

???

I never said DR was open source.

I even stated it will die before it gets started.

On the second point though,

Youre probably right. Ive never seen hacking in arma2. (nor have i seen it in DR).

By having no protection it is easier to hack, but even with protection it is still possible.

no what I meant was that they aren't setting it up to mod. It's outside their design. So it's not modding what you are seeing, it's hacking (in the true sense of the term) meaning they are editing the code on a hex code level. That's what people are calling modding over on CM's forums. but they are delusional.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Pictures "leaked" by CM when it was announced the launch date, the box, etc. Date on this is:

July 18th 2009

August 12th 2009

August 14th 2009

August 28th 2009

Notice the time sequence. The game in July looks like sorta, what came out, notice the progression. Do you see anything even remotely looking like what came out from the newest pictures?

Here's the original link of leakage.

The video's.

It's important for people to remember, this was a scam from the very beginning.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Yes, MehMan is right. However, it's quite funny that most of the pictures CM are now using to promote the game are the pre-renders rather than the ingame footage. Most of the pictures on the new website bar news posts are pre-renders, the pictures used in that Xfire video contest were pre-renders, and even the box uses pre-renders. Guess they aren't happy with how it looks after all.

Thats the reason i start disliking CM!

They use, they abuse and they lied about a product that was not originally created by them and they kept saying its a sequel of the Original and Classic Operation Flashpoint. I would be very ashamed, if i were a CM employee!

Why the hell would anyone do a prerendered video to fake and to create fake hopes on the costumers?

Enough said.

The only one that was released at that time was the first. The other three are OLD.

oh I know. That's why I posted it. It was to show the "progression" of the hype. They showed all this great stuff, and they continued the campaign up until launch with their "in-depth" interviews where they said, "Damage Models are the most realistic." "Weapons are the most realistic, and we've gone to great lengths to even get the weight correct." Those were introduced in a never ending stream of propaganda. Even at the last E3 they were showing the same pre-rendered clips, and talking to the press. There is one video of Lenton showing the game, and just bragging on and on, while someone video taped it. What he was showing looks nothing like the game, ran like crap, (which I'm used to seeing when I used to go to E3, which is typical with early stuff.) But to listen to him just shovel the B.S. made me ill.

If anybody get's the chance to goto an E3, do it. If you really want a show, register early, apply for a press pass. Act like you've never seen a video game before, and just listen to the big companies, then goto the smaller booths, where the indie developers are, see how friendly they are, see some real cool stuff that doesn't get the hype. When I used to go, the really cool stuff wasn't in these massive $100,000 booths. It was the little guys with a table and a couple chairs. Too bad, those titles never saw the light of day, because the louder booths (if you want to call them that) with all the lights, sound, boothbabes, celebrities would get the attention and the money. The 2-3 little guys on the side? No attention unless you knew what you were seeing.

That's why I like BIS.... they are the 2-3 little guys on the side with a killer app that people walk by when they see a 50 foot Dragon Rising poster and guys in military attire, maybe a hummer in the booth. Which will be replaced next year with a 50 foot Teddybear or something. Meanwhile BIS will be back developing and promoting an engine that is getting better and better...... Nobody will remember what was standing last year where the big Teadybear is.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

True, but without any protection they are begging to get the game hacked. Even the poorest hacker got a chance :eek:

Everyone knew before the release it wasn't going to be an equivalent to ArmA - neither in modding possibilities nor gamewise, and everyone knew it was Codies first shot at such a game, too.

All we had was guessing on our side and a lot of announcements about the game on CM's side. For some reasons I trusted CM because I wasn't aware how easily they could turn around and decide to publish a more than mediocre shooter and put the Flashpoint stamp on it to sell it. If the game would include all the things they announced for it I think it could be an awesome game, all we have now is an empty trash can since almost nothing is in there from these announcements and what's in, is implemented in a ridiculously flawed way: mission design, vehicle handling, mission presentation, command mechanics, the map, and other things. If nothing is in there what you expect in a Flashpoint game and the rest of the game is raising a laugh when compared to other shooters these days, what's left? Consoles and especially the 360 don't need more shooters, we have plenty of them and most of them really rock (a shooter can be an awesome game even without being a milsim), but a Flashpoint experience. FDR isn't one, it isn't even a good experience at all.

Grim

Edited by Grimnirsson

Saw it played on a PS3. Graphics are pretty bad compared to Arma2 even Arma1. I had to laugh when I saw the player move to an area to attack enemy in an opposite tree line, they moved toward the enemy and killed them up close. It looked as though all the enemy where now dead but nothing was happening. They then went back to the initial spot where the engagement began and the trigger detected that all enemies where dead and advanced the mission lmao.

Then they moved on and found a PLA road block and got killed, they reloaded the mission and drove around the checkpoint, now a message plays saying "we have cleared the checkpoint and are move on", oh dear...these are very basic mission design flaws that could have easily been fixed with proper testing, even the most newby of Arma mission designers could spot and fix errors like that...

Typical CM in it just for the fast bucks while dragging the raped name of Operation Flashpoint through the mud a the same time. :rolleyes:

Someone sent me a trick to try on their multiplayer servers. So..... of course I had to try it.

I went to multiplayer - 23 servers listed. Golly, a cornucopia of choices!!

8 locked with 3 to 7 people playing

6 had pings over 160 (I don't think so)

3 were ranked for expert.

3 had 1 guy in there waiting.

2 Set for Infiltration mode with 4 guys.

1 set for campaign mode. (so, without any choice, I picked that with 3 guys, so I made up the 4th. A whole 4 people on a server). As soon as I loaded up and started to move lag spike hit, the kids PC locked or something, and we were tossed.

And they say there aren't any Arma2 servers and "NOBODY is playing Arma2".

LOL

I didn't even get to use my trick!

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1477757']Someone sent me a trick to try on their multiplayer servers. So..... of course I had to try it.

I went to multiplayer - 23 servers listed. Golly' date=' a cornucopia of choices!!

And they say there aren't any Arma2 servers and "NOBODY is playing Arma2".

LOL

...[/quote'] It would be nice to get a update on the amount of servers going from time to time. 26 is just wow!, i bet there are more Quake one servers running ...