Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

If you have never played OFP, ArmA or ArmA II on the PC, for whatever reason, then you'll probably love what DR brings you. If you have, even if it was OFP, and you understood even just the basics of it, you'll be extremely disappointed, like most of us here were.
We'll see. I've been playing OFP almost since day one, played online coop for many years on an almost daily base. I know it's not OFP:CWC or OFP:R, but if it's better than ArmA (which I consider half baked crap) that may be good enough for me. ArmA II might be much better, maybe even surpassing the first games, but that's not relevant to me as BIS isn't going to release it for the PS3 anyways (and I'd sure be happy to get proven wrong on this one!).

I played about 8 to 9 missions into OFPDR and played a few online co-op games. In my honest opinion, the game is a dumbed down arcade version of OFP. It is quite apparent the game was made for a console, whether it was ported to PC or not... it has all the features of a console game.

No dedicated server support (even though the box says it does... false advertisement)

No cd key/player ID

No anti-cheat

No mod support

No game protection

These are the biggest issues for a PC gamer.

The vehicles and weapons are again, console'ish. Vehicles and aircraft bounce of objects like rubber. There is no 3rd person view for when driving nor can you pan your head around while operating a vehicle. The weapons seem like their on rails, but their is a tad bit of bullet drop which is nice. Sprinting has no effect on rifle accuracy, you can sprint for 100 yards, stop and take a perfect shot.

The interface is very clunky and designed for a console user with the D-Pad in mind, especially the radial command menu. I just flat out don't like it, prefer OFP:CWC/R and Arma/Arma2 over it, much more commands to use with those games. Even the game menu's are setup for console... I just don't like it when developers do that to PC games... very lazy. Don't even get me started on the MP browser/menu... :mad:

Overall, the game is decent in it's own right. It is not a milsim at all, more of an open box arcade shooter. Codemasters tried to make an OFP game but failed only to make a console arcade sandbox shooter. Maybe that was their intentions, but don't rattle off your game as "most realistic shooter!" when it clearly is not, not even close...

I guess the console guys will like it, but as far as PC gamers go... this one should be tossed aside.

Edited by jigawatt

the argument comes from the FACT that films only move at 24 frames per second and yet we have been using film to DOCUMENT reality for the past 100 years. no one has complained that the FPS of film needs to be bumped up to closer match the refresh rate of the human eye or whatever it is gamers say to justify spending hundreds of dollars on the latest card or processor or cooling system.

i know i cannot tell the difference between arma 2 running at 40+ frames per second, and arma 2 running at ~22. i never know what fraps is going to say when i turn it on. the game feels the same to me unless when i turn AA on high, or am involved with 1000s of AI, i can occasionally feel the molasses type feeling and i would imagine the frames are constantly in the teens. but i tend to agree with vilas that 25 frames, and 60 frames, are essentially indistinguishable and both match reality. till im proven otherwise that is.

OFPDR does feel more responsive, and yeah it probably runs at a higher frame rate as well. but i am not convinced the two are related. like i said, last time i turned fraps on it said arma 2 was running over 40 fps. felt the same to me as when it said it was running 20.

Lol, so you can't see the difference between 3, and 4 fps. That's because it's both CHOPPY as hell :rolleyes:

Try 90 fps, you will spray your pants instantly. Just try it ffs and see for yourself instead of spouting all this nonsense.

By the way i game on a 22" hp p1230 , a CRT monitor.

Also, IF i were to put that monitor on 60hz , do you have any idea how annoying that flickers ?

AGAIN, you can look at an LCD with 60 hz sure, but not a CRT it will make your eyes bleed and give you a headeache.

Again it's not the same.

Just because a movie "SEEMS SMOOTH" at 24 fps , does not mean "ze humanz eye cannot detect anything more then exactly 24 fps" , mythbuster say it!

A videogame is a completely other story.

The fact is that the human eye perceives the typical cinema film motion as being fluid at about 18fps, because of its blurring

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm < Dwarden posted this earlier.

WIKI

The Human Eye and it's real capabilities - tahDA! This is where this article gets even longer, but read on, please. I will explain to you how the Human Eye can perceive much past the mis conception of 30 FPS and well past 60 FPS, even surpassing 200 FPS.

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/How_many_FPS_human_eye_can_see

Your eyes are not a simple webcam. Please try it yourself everybody. Higher frames is BLISS :)

Edited by Game__On

Lol, so you can't see the difference between 3, and 4 fps. That's because it's both CHOPPY as hell :rolleyes:

Try 90 fps, you will spray your pants instantly. Just try it ffs and see for yourself instead of spouting all this nonsense.

By the way i game on a 22" hp p1230 , a CRT monitor.

Also, IF i were to put that monitor on 60hz , do you have any idea how annoying that flickers ?

AGAIN, you can look at an LCD with 60 hz sure, but not a CRT it will make your eyes bleed and give you a headeache.

Again it's not the same.

Just because a movie "SEEMS SMOOTH" at 24 fps , does not mean "ze humanz eye cannot detect anything more then exactly 24 fps" , mythbuster say it!

A videogame is a completely other story.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm < Dwarden posted this earlier.

WIKI

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/How_many_FPS_human_eye_can_see

Your eyes are not a simple webcam. Please try it yourself everybody. Higher frames is BLISS :)

Firstly, enough with the giant bold letters etc.

Yes, we can see a difference between 24 and 60 FPS (for example) but what is "acceptable" for you may not be for someone else.

It's subjective, no one person's opinion is correct on the subject.

You strike me as the kind of guy who sits there watching the little yellow numbers rather than playing the game.

Eth

What a person finds acceptable, or just claiming there is no difference between 24 fps and 100 fps is not the same. There is nothing subjective about that.

"what is acceptable" is all up to the individual. I personally can't game at 25 fps because it literally makes me sick. If you can great for you .

It just bothers me to no end that people keep saying that anything above 24 fps does not matter, because 'the human eye can't detect' that. It bothers me to no end for some reason. Maybe because i keep hearing this ignorant statement over and over again.

Well i hope it clear now. Your eyes are not limited by a meazly 24 fps. If i don't write it in bold, I have to read this stupid "But the eyz cannort detact over 24 framez perz seconsz !" nonsense on the next page again.

p.s: Why do you write your name below every post ? I see this sometimes but i have never understood why people do this ? Your name is in the upper left corner as well.

Edited by Game__On

Yes, because it's a CRT.

The picture is drawn line by line.

Edited by Deadfast

What a person finds acceptable, or just claiming there is no difference between 24 fps and 100 fps is not the same. There is nothing subjective about that.

"what is acceptable" is all up to the individual. I personally can't game at 25 fps because it literally makes me sick. If you can great for you .

It just bothers me to no end that people keep saying that anything above 24 fps does not matter, because 'the human eye can't detect' that. It bothers me to no end for some reason. Maybe because i keep hearing this ignorant statement over and over again.

Well i hope it clear now. Your eyes are not limited by a meazly 24 fps. If i don't write it in bold, I have to read this stupid "But the eyz cannort detact over 24 framez perz seconsz !" nonsense on the next page again.

p.s: Why do you write your name below every post ? I see this sometimes but i have never understood why people do this ? Your name is in the upper left corner as well.

If they are happy with their experience, how does it affect your enjoyment?

And as far as signing my posts, it's just the way I format my posts/letters etc and no doubt a throwback to my education.

Eth

If they are happy with their experience, how does it affect your enjoyment?

And as far as signing my posts, it's just the way I format my posts/letters etc and no doubt a throwback to my education.

Eth

No, it's not about 'their experience'. It's the claim made by some that anything about 24 fps is not noticable "TO THE HUMAN EYE" .

Not what they find 'good enough' . Honestly i don't really give a crap to what another person finds smooth enough.

Just don't say "The human eye cannot detect anything above 24 fps" . How many times must i repeat this for you to understand ?

Yes i did it in bold again, because apparently it's still not clear.

And do you know why i never look at fraps ? Because i don't have to lol. At some point the game is smooth. Then i'm happy.

I do check back sometimes, for instance when hearing another weird claim, and see that (depends on the game) sometimes it gets smooth even above 100 fps for me to see absolutely no choppyness.

For antother game (like arma 2) it might be 80 . I don't know, and i dont care honestly.

It sure as hell isn't 24 fps though. :)

No, it's not about 'their experience'. It's the claim made by some that anything about 24 fps is not noticable "TO THE HUMAN EYE" .

Not what they find 'good enough' . Honestly i don't really give a crap to what another person finds smooth enough.

Just don't say "The human eye cannot detect anything above 24 fps" . How many times must i repeat this for you to understand ?

Yes i did it in bold again, because apparently it's still not clear.

And do you know why i never look at fraps ? Because i don't have to lol. At some point the game is smooth. Then i'm happy.

I do check back sometimes, for instance when hearing another weird claim, and see that (depends on the game) sometimes it gets smooth even above 100 fps for me to see absolutely no choppyness.

For antother game (like arma 2) it might be 80 . I don't know, and i dont care honestly.

It sure as hell isn't 24 fps though. :)

But you obviously do care as you feel the need to post about it.

A constant 100 FPS is rare in many of today's games (High res/details/AA etc) so for you to contend that you NEED it is ridiculous. I agree that 24 FPS is not the end of the spectrum for perceivable differences, I disagree that 80-100 FPS is necessary in order for anyone to achieve acceptable gameplay.

We aren't getting 80-100 FPS in A2 in a built up area for example. It's not possible (unless you are @ 800 x 600 with everything on low). That's just one example. Crysis would be another one where you won't average more than ~60 FPS.

Eth

Is it just me or has this discussion gone waaaaaaaay offtopic? :confused:

Is it just me or has this discussion gone waaaaaaaay offtopic? :confused:

LOL, no it's not just you.

/me goes back on topic

DR sucks isn't very good :D

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Only deleted? I got a permanent ban on their forums.

yeah, me too. I submitted one of my video's for their "Video Contest", where I drive under tanks, and mock them. It was a palmslap, and now I'm banned for submitting a video that shows massive problems with the game.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

What does the tether do exactly? Do you get dragged along with the team leader or does it kill you?

The "tether" kicks in at around 275 meters from your squad leader. If you don't get back to them. You die. Seriously. So you can't "free roam" like they claim. Also, if you're squad goes out of the combat area (which is set in the editor) there is nothing to shoot at. It's like you just exited into an empty wasteland. Also, ever notice something? The island is supposed to be teaming with a vast sea of Oil, and everybody is fighting over it. Have you seen one Oil rig/pump or processing facility? And lastly. There are no planes in DR. Now, who ever heard of a massive invasion without planes? Supposed to be a whole armada off the coast? No boats, no aircraft carriers, the military owns maybe 2-3 helo's. That's your "airpower".

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

i get exactly 60 fps in arma 2 when looking at the sky. that is my absolute max i guess because my monitor is 60 hz. (and the stuff on the screen seems pretty real to me even at this suboptimal refresh rate that is way too low for my eye)

as for saying the difference between 24 and 40 fps is like comparing 3 to 4, i disagree completely. i can tell 10 fps from 20 very, very easily. i cannot so easily tell 20 from 40, and i would guess 40 from 80 is even harder. the a2 fps issue is strange and the responsiveness and fluid feel of the game seems to have little to do with fps in my experience. at times i have been very impressed with how the game felt and when i turned on fraps it says im getting anywhere from 18-28 fps, averaging around 24 maybe. then at other times it has felt sluggish so i turn on fraps and it says im getting 30-40+ fps. i dont get it its an engine that defies all logic i guess.

Luhgnut;1475021']yeah' date=' me too. I submitted one of my video's for their "Video Contest", where I drive under tanks, and mock them. It was a palmslap, and now I'm banned for submitting a video that shows massive problems with the game.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

The "tether" kicks in at around 275 meters from your squad leader. If you don't get back to them. You die. Seriously. So you can't "free roam" like they claim. Also, if you're squad goes out of the combat area (which is set in the editor) there is nothing to shoot at. It's like you just exited into an empty wasteland. Also, ever notice something? The island is supposed to be teaming with a vast sea of Oil, and everybody is fighting over it. Have you seen one Oil rig/pump or processing facility? And lastly. There are no planes in DR. Now, who ever heard of a massive invasion without planes? Supposed to be a whole armada off the coast? No boats, no aircraft carriers, the military owns maybe 2-3 helo's. That's your "airpower".

can you post the video here!

the reason why A2 feels choppy at low FPS is because of the micro-shuttering, remember it have to steam a lots of stuff whenever you move

As for DR? it simply have 10 times less the load then A2 so what do you expected?

more like 100 less stuff to load :D

The grass textures on the ground was like half-life 1 quality :P

And DR is supposed to be a AAA game..

I really love Arma 2's ground much more cause of all the rocks, grass and bumps in the ground. Im not sure but sometimes I swear Arma 2's ground has even got a normal/bump map applied :D

Finally got myself to finish the game.

Worst ending I've ever seen. Well, makes sense when the game has little to no story at all.

The next step is quite obvious:

dr_unistall.png

Edited by Deadfast

Finally got myself to finish the game.

Worst ending I've ever seen. Well, makes sense when the game has little to no story at all.

The next step is quite obvious:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x279/deadfastcz/junk/dr_unistall.png

May I remind you of the last step?

P1030403.JPG

Edited by rundll.exe

May I remind you of the last step?

You mean to tell me, you threw away a perfectly good CD case! You should be strung up.

Luhgnut;1475156']You mean to tell me' date=' you threw away a perfectly good CD case! You should be strung up.[/quote']

You're totally right, but that piece of plastic should never have been molded in an OFP DR case, it should have been molded in

Ontopic:

Funny thing is, ppl come to our forums, requesting to make a CTI mission for OFP DR... Well think of it, if you make it a 16 vs 16 mission, you can have.. ehm.. err.. ONE AI in your group!, so you cant even man a tank crew with your group.

Let alone to be able to host it on your home connection...

That got you banned, seriously?

Wow... I think the people running that sespool need some counceling, living in denial is not very good in the long run.

The video was really funny though.

"--never before seen" :D

it should have been molded in something much more usefull

Hmm, maybe the Fleshlight factory accepts DR cases as material, at least then it could give some pleasure to someone :D

Luhgnut;1475156']You mean to tell me' date=' you threw away a perfectly good CD case! You should be strung up.[/quote']

That video is hilarious :D

Total overkill to ban you over that but you have to understand that CM only have around 2 weeks left to dupe the console kiddies into pestering Mommy and Daddy for the credit card to purchase that shiny new DLC before MW2 shows up and dropkicks Floperation Trashpoint : Dumptruck Rising into obscurity. They aren't about to let a little thing called facts get in the way.

Eth

Edited by BangTail