Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

ahhh just found this thread.... read about 15 pages and figured its time for my 2 cents.

Overall I found out of the box Op Flash looked more finished then I started to see more, the grass looks all the same .... every where... Yeah I know grass is Grass but hey looks to me like clone wars ... the grass strikes back.... no Civilians no ambient life no real sim IMO.

Alt tab. I have no issues in either game- while editing in Arma 2 I have run upt to 3 instances of the game at once on my E6850 4 gig ddr3 ram and XFX factory oc 8800gts 2 copies on the editor and 1 copy in a game doing RT tests, I can alt tab through them no issues at all. Havent tried more than 1 instance of Op Flash but after the intial play dont intend to.

game interface really sucks in both games.. but I got used to Arma in 10 mins 4 hours of OP Flash and I still stuff up.

I cant look to my side while driving... where the hell did those bullets come from oh hell I am dead...... well thats if the AI are actually doin anything more than the sidestep shuffle.. sorry codies Arma 2 wins there too.

Oh and Op Flash crashes in MP for me all the time.. Not to Desktop or BSOD or anything but it freezes and locks my PC no Alt tab there or Task manager .. or anything no over heat on the readouts no issuses anywhere still got voice com over msn or whatever I wish to be using in the background. looks like a vid driver bug no idea waiting for a patch lol.

Cutting the rant short because I am about to bang my head against Op flash again my main team mate has had the worst run on Arma and thinks the alternative is a godsend.. I just hope god sends it somewhere..... else

Mate was showing me the editor

Can't see myself getting into it at all now after a few more plays at mates house.

If u plot a few vehicles down and a man as urself u can only see the guns from distance and not until u get to 20-30 metres then the whole vehicle appears.

Just like this

63 unit limit is bad too.

Getting into vehicles sux and so does the handling and no looking around.

I'll wait to see what MW2 or Crysis 2 is like before i buy next FPS. DR IMHO just won't cut it for me.

I Hope Crysis 2 doesn't fail as i loved playing crysis and warhead as a easy side game quick action FPS.

I also took better notice of vehicle models and graphics are not good at all. Just look at the FFAR pods on the choppers and this was all on high settings.

The single missions are ok to play but not ground breaking at all.

Edited by vasmkd

i played a bit of dragon rising this weekend. it wasn't quite as bad as the hype says and there are certainly things in it that BIS could learn from (seems only fair as dragonrising tried to take notes from BIS original book and got it mixed up)

their command ring is unwieldy. but the idea of more interactive context sensitive commands is good....BIS AI command menu needs a lot more work from BIS in making it intuitive.

in mission 2, the gunship hunting you...had a good immerisive feeling too.

the feeling of being in war is very strong at places. like the secure the beach mission (3rd mission). with the smoke and bombardments the feeling of being a importnat part of a mission was VERY good.

i am all for arma2. the best game for me right now. but it is not perfect..

edit - and the animations of snapping the bolt back in place when reloading are nice. amra2 would benefit from this.

Actually...I’m starting to come around to DR too.

And I agree the old OFP / ARMA command system is quite difficult, but i am used to it now.

If I wasn’t, then maybe the ring would be quite good.

I hear the argument that we have to judge it against OFP:1. Fair argument.

In that case it fails on all levels, from editor to controls in game.

All that said, I think you'll all have to agree that even if some people are drawn to OFPDR for some time it won’t last.

People will play the campaign, maybe do some MPing, and come back to Arma/arma2 (if they are veteran players) or move onto the next big title without a single thought.

OFPDR won’t get the community support that the original and the Arma’s do and it’ll be dropped like a sack of poop at the first opportunity.

Its real threat is going to be CoD4 modernwarfare2. And tbh, CoD will win over the OFPDR crew in no time.

ammo crates are what annoy me. i started the first mission first time and got told to test out the ammo crate. I ended up getting locked into it and cant get out of it, so i didnt bother the next time went through all key configs and it said nothing about getting out the crate or anything like that so if anyone can help please let me know cos i had to restart.

My own opinion on the game is that its just a cross between rainbow 6 vegas and call of duty 4. The key config is absolutly terrible. Why use one key when you can use 4 seems to be the motto when putting this together. this is mainly for the stance mode, vision mode and weapons. I am always playing arma and im going to get confused now because as much as i want to there is no way to set up a similer config. The command module got right in my way and i really do not know why they didnt keep the f keys as before especially for the pc version anyway. The bandage tool is quite uesful alough it seems that the medics have the same miracle syringe that rainbow 6 vegas has. It cures cancer headshots even grows back limbs, then your soldier is back in the fight better than before. The graphics, sounds and fx are really good, the lack of 3rd person view is a big turn off. The posters i have seen on shop windows "realistic combat simulator for the 360" yes the military are now using this to better train their troops.

Edited by Archamedes

ammo crates are what annoy me. i started the first mission first time and got told to test out the ammo crate. I ended up getting locked into it and cant get out of it, so i didnt bother the next time went through all key configs and it said nothing about getting out the crate or nything like that

press e to get in and e to get out of ammo crates. very non-intuitive in the game. still not sure how they work as sometimes i can take guns and sometimes not.

I tried out the realism mod for AI and promptly got shot from behind by my lmg AI teammate. lol. seems there's a lot of sneaky stuff going on in the shooting department that starts going wonky when modders dig in.

arma2 is the better sim for sure.

again i just wish arma2 had more of the context sensitive commands like fall back, defend, assault building, etc but not using that fucking rotary ring. that stops you doing anything else even if you are under attack and then even stays up when you have made the order until you push Q! non-intuitive again.

edit - and again wish arma2 had better looking mid ground not just flat dated looking textures- ofpdr beats it by a mile and that actually adds to the experience as it gives AI grass cover that aids their camouflage.

:yaynot:

Edited by twisted

ammo crates are what annoy me...if anyone can help please let me know cos i had to restart.

LOL!

I had the same problem!

I jumped in the driver seat of the Jeep and couldnt get out!

This is what somes of downloading a game through steam i guess; no instruction book!!

well i slapped my xbox 360 controller in my pc and its soo much easier than going with the mouse and keyboard. it has actually raised my opinion of the game just a bit. enemy deaths are better as well than the anims in arma. well im gonna carry on finding faults... er i mean playing through it

This is not a knock against people on the CM forums, but information that gives insight to DR's aspirations. It seems Viiper, a mod over there who had enough prelaunch hands-on knowledge to sign an NDA.... No longer has an 'OFP-modding' group sig. Read into that what you want- from the smoke and mirrors issue, to the chances of modding tools.

Game is good. Got surprised because i didn't prepare for. That is indeed positive. I like the game. It' change from OFP-ArmA-ArmA2-line, where we basically still are playing OFP with bit improvements. I wanted to have lots more and atlest OF:DR seems to offer that.

Campaign is decent, i like the setting. Artillery is great :) Time limits are okay if they wouldn't be overused and too tight! Come on!

Artillery is decent, too fast response time however. Ofcourse it's arcade, even basic spotter stuff would be okay and add immersion.

Tutorial? Firing range? Stupid that this wasn't included into game.

Command ring is piece of sh!t, well ring it self is good. But the way commands are issued to men isn't, and that it halts character. And so is map commandind, bit better but not very usefull in the end. Best way seems to keep all men in one team and issue orders as team, in that way it works decently, isn't too hard for player to use and is fast to use. But i've played too much Full Spectrum Warrior and Brothers In Arms to love it. They have fluid system, which of course is also simpler when it comes to issuable commands.

Same with inventory. Horrible. Switching for hand grenade and then switching it to smoke... Sucks.

Commands are plenty covering almost all i can think of. Assault, clearing buildings, suppress, defend, fallback, flank etc. Finally i have got guys who have passed basic training and have bit advanced training as well, they are not fully learned, but better than fresh rookies in most games.

AI combat abilities are good enough. I can order lots of things for my men and enemy AI ain't total idiot, even if many times moves out from cover and generally likes to be too easy target. Yet they seem to favor crawl of death instead of sprinting for cover. After campaign is finished i start to use mods. Blindness is main problems at them moment, mostly i guess they just don't have a glue on what is happening around them. Shooting accuracy's under suppression is bit too poor in my mind. Unsuppressed? Well i've got killed enough often to say that they can't hit anything, yet they are not snipers. They seem to handle close ranges very well, but long distances are weak part. People say that they get spotted even from 1 kilometers... Excuse me? I just wish they would. 200-300 meters seems to almost max.

Weapons. Atleast zooming scopes has right trajectory. If target is 300 meters awat player does wish to use corresponding mark in sights.

-I like the way recoil works. Rocks weapon around more than lifts.

-Chinese assault rifle has some strange pause between single shots, douple tapping is not possible. But gun handles itself well in autofire so short bursts are good option. Chinese LMG (that bigger one) has just 3 units of 75 rounds mag? Stupid.

-FLIR? Overused in campaign, but neat.

-AT-weapon's reloading animation? Horrible to be honest, why there is not 'cease action'-option? Basically it's realistic, but... Oh and no disposable AT-launcher?

Vehicles... Wasn't EGO engine for race games :D Anyways i don't care much, they get you from point A to point B decently.

Terrain not as exposed as i thought, buuut it could offer more cover.

MP? Couldn't care less. Keep monkeys in their locked gage. Please.

Overall impression is good maybe even great once i handle system better and get familiar with editor. Hopefully CM will improve the game's interface somehow, inventory menu seems to be bugged.

Too early to tell will it replace original OFP, it took half year for me to understand that ArmA isn't capable to replace it, with ArmA2 it became clear in two days to figure out that.

And the ultimate question: Is it better "military simualtor" than ArmA/ArmA2? In a way it is, infantry side basically owns ArmA2. Vehicles... Too early to tell, but cars seems to back up idea that not. "Rules of Battle" aka will battles play out in realistic fashion and will some basic stuff work? Hard to say how well it works, will require lots of editor time to test it.

Nothing can come close to replacing the original OFP. ArmA and ArmA II are great, but not as good as OFP. However, DR is never going to come close to replacing OFP. I feel saddened when people say such blasphemy! :(

am i going to hell but its slowly starting to grow on me. The ragdoll simulator on the enemy deaths weirdly enough look very realistic when they get hit. I have my settings all on the highest it will go and even though the map looks very detailed im getting less lag that in arma. I do have one new criticism though, my team was wiped out in a small town and i thought, right its me vs the world then at the next checkpoint (you cant save by the way) my team spawned back into the game. Which i didnt like if they are dead then they are dead let me go on my own. I do think if you like vegas and you like call of duty then this will grow on you, it really will. you have to get out of your head that its a sequel to flashpoint or you will deliberatly try to compare or find faults that are not really there

Nothing can come close to replacing the original OFP. ArmA and ArmA II are great, but not as good as OFP. However, DR is never going to come close to replacing OFP. I feel saddened when people say such blasphemy! :(

Exactly the way I feel about it :thumbsup: I like ARMA 2 but OFP is still better. To even mention DR in the same sentence as the original Operation Flashpoint is blasphemy!

you have to get out of your head that its a sequel to flashpoint or you will deliberatly try to compare or find faults that are not really there

Yes, but as I said earlier, it is being toted by CM to be the official sequel to OFP. And because of that, I don't think it should be judged in any way other than that. They were confident enough in their game to take the OFP name from BIS, and produced this crap out of doing so.

I have my settings all on the highest it will go and even though the map looks very detailed im getting less lag that in arma.

Are you sure you are talking about Dragon Rising? Because details is exactly what that shooter lacks!

Arma 2 beats OFP all the way on a technical point of view and DR doesn't even come close on PC (FLIR aside, but that's coming).

Was CWC campaign better than Harvest Red ? Maybe. I'm not sure. Harvest Red is darker and grittier. More realistic and open ended, yet more buggy and less versatile. To each his own.

Had OFP a stronger impact for its time ? For sure, it was the first of its kind. No one will be able to match that, ever. Just like Doom gave us a blow when it started the FPS genre.

Is OFP better than Arma 2 : no way !!!! Your memories of it may be, but the game itself has advanced so much in immersion and functionalities, I can't believe anyone would want to go back. And Arrowhead is going to make it even better (random city creation !!!)

Back on topic. I wish DR was out on the WII... At least it would bring something new in the controls and no one would bitch about the poor graphics.

Arrowhead is going to make it even better (random city creation !!!)

I prefer a playable game than just a gadget. And I hope that BIS have changed the lighting, too shiny in Arma2. if Arrowhead has the same lighting, be prepared to play with sun glasses. + the ridiculous voices and sentences

Arma 2 beats OFP all the way on a technical point of view and DR doesn't even come close on PC (FLIR aside, but that's coming).

Was CWC campaign better than Harvest Red ? Maybe. I'm not sure. Harvest Red is darker and grittier. More realistic and open ended, yet more buggy and less versatile. To each his own.

Had OFP a stronger impact for its time ? For sure, it was the first of its kind. No one will be able to match that, ever. Just like Doom gave us a blow when it started the FPS genre.

Is OFP better than Arma 2 : no way !!!! Your memories of it may be, but the game itself has advanced so much in immersion and functionalities, I can't believe anyone would want to go back. And Arrowhead is going to make it even better (random city creation !!!)

Back on topic. I wish DR was out on the WII... At least it would bring something new in the controls and no one would bitch about the poor graphics.

It's got nothing to do with memories, I'm still playing OFP much more than ARMA 2. The game has gone backwards in many areas since OFP in my opinion but this isn't the place to discuss that ;)

And I hope that BIS have changed the lighting, too shiny in Arma2. if Arrowhead has the same lighting, be prepared to play with sun glasses.

Maybe turn off or lower post process effects??

Now first and foremost post ain't directed only to EricM but to all:

I play OFP almost daily still. Unlike ArmA or ArmA2 demo. OFP, with WGL or FFUR&SLX, Liberation mod etc.

Concerning why i play it: It's ruins immersion that i find out that i still play the same game with just improved outlooks. Some basic things broken, like AI's taking cover skills and lacking micro detail in terrain setting. Replace those with poor character controls etc. That is the main problem for ME. So I will mirror OF:DR to OFP [listens how fanbois starts howling. Feels amused]. OFP was something new but is getting old, maybe OF:DR will be something new again, seem like it wields such potential (unlike ArmA-series). Simple as that, and no matter how "badly" or "deeply" "offended" someone will feel about it.

Really no reason to start howling about it, you will just make jerk out of yourself. Keep playing with ArmA2 by all means, i'm not taking it away from you, or judging you. But don't try to stuff you opinions to me about how ArmA2 is so super: i've tried it, tested it, judged it already.

Really no reason to start howling about it, you will just make jerk out of yourself. Keep playing with ArmA2 by all means, i'm not taking it away from you, or judging you. But don't try to stuff you opinions to me about how ArmA2 is so super: i've tried it, tested it, judged it already.

Good for you, but it's gonna be hard not hearing from people who enjoy ArmA 2 here on these forums :p

Game is good.

where we basically still are playing OFP with bit improvements.

I wanted to have lots more and atlest OF:DR seems to offer that.

Campaign is decent Artillery is great :)

AI combat abilities are good enough. Blindness is main problems at them moment, mostly i guess they just don't have a glue on what is happening around them. Well i've got killed enough often to say that they can't hit anything, yet they are not snipers.

-I like the way recoil works. Rocks weapon around more than lifts.

-Chinese assault rifle has some strange pause between single shots, douple tapping is not possible. But gun handles itself well in autofire so short bursts are good option.

And the ultimate question: Is it better "military simualtor" than ArmA/ArmA2? In a way it is, infantry side basically owns ArmA2. Vehicles... Too early to tell, but cars seems to back up idea that not. "Rules of Battle" aka will battles play out in realistic fashion and will some basic stuff work? Hard to say how well it works, will require lots of editor time to test it.

Here, i highlighted all the blasphemy. All i can say is:

ruondrugs.jpg

Nostalgia factor, as you writed, can be pretty strong on some pepole who played OFP. Well, that and the ammount of addons that were available and the campaign

Here, i highlighted all the blasphemy. All i can say is:

[place image "are you on drugs?"]

Are you member of Inquisition? Do you whip your self often? :D