Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I'm just waiting for someone to come up with a fix for the sad console look & feel and then i'll sure give it another test drive :bounce3:

Just thought this would be a funny thing to share:

nice.jpg

I just found it randomly when doing a search on Google. Print screened, cropped, uploaded, posted. :D

Edited by Zipper5

sorry long post but worth it:

first post someone found a story on Australia's premier gaming site about DR

CoupOfConiston

Posts: 23 Make sure other gamers find out about CM late of commitment to their games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did:

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/2856245

This is one of the bigest gaming sites in Aus, it will be read by thousands of gamers.

The title was mean to read *Lack* of comitment :P Ahhh typo.

[Freedom is a road seldom travelled by the multitude. Chuck D - Public Enemy.]

this was CM's reply:

The CM community manager tries to brush off the report as crap and bad journalism....

18-02-2010, 12:17 PM #5 (permalink)

Helios

Community Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you take a look around news articles about the recent announcement have found there way onto most of the major gaming sites.

Personally I think it is rather poor journalism by Ausgamers to base a news story solely on info and game experiences supplied by one person. On all formats, MP and in particular co-op is played by many without experiencing problems, and for them to call it "broken" based on one persons experiences isn't what constitutes proper research into a story in my book.

Ian 'Helios' Webster

Community Manager

and the Aussie's websites reply here:

the journalists strikes back :)

20-02-2010, 01:09 AM #28 (permalink)

trogau

Hi! I'm trog of AusGamers; the guy the posted the article in the OP (you can refer to me as 'the poor journalist', though I feel that is rating my skills a little too highly).

We are not in the habit of just randomly posting unsubstantiated rumours from single reports. Given I work for a gaming site, we're in regular contact with a huge variety of gamers playing a huge variety of games.

Sadly, I don't think I've heard any of them say many complimentary things about Dragon Rising - particularly when it comes to multiplayer.

A casual glance at this forum indicates there are lots of disgruntled gamers (...fairly typical, really, but more so than usual). The dedicated server issue hit a lot of people really hard, and Codemasters deserves to be called out publicly on the lack of delivery here.

To give my comments some more context - I have worked on AusGamers since 1999. Since 2000 I have worked professionally running game servers for Australia's biggest ISP, which has since become Australia's biggest GSP. I have seen every single PC-based multiplayer shooter release in the last 15 years.

Through almost all that time I have been trying to convince game developers and publishers to release dedicated servers. My motivation for that is a little selfish - in Australia, we're a little bit far away geographically from other civilizations, so without local servers, everything multiplayer has a strong tendency to... suck.

History lession: Australian users have probably a greater-than-average level of understanding of dedicated servers. In the early days of our broadband, we had monthly limits of 300 megabytes. Then it 3gb - now the average is around 12gb. Per month.

Many local ISPs started running game servers, and that traffic was considered unmetered - so it didn't count to that monthly limit. As such, gamers learned quickly to flock to games that they could play non-stop without incurring any monthly limit. Dedicated server games.

Trying to represent the interests of Australian gamers, I have interviewed game developers about big titles in development that I know everyone was interested in. I interviewed Cevat Yerli when Far Cry was just about to land and I asked him about dedicated servers - he paused, looked at me, and said "we haven't even thought about that yet". I interviewed Karl-Magnus Troedsson from Dice about BF Heroes and BF1943 just before they landed - same response (although in their defence I knew they had a framework for it).

In the last 10 years, it has become clear that the majority of PC game developers do not think about dedicated servers in a way that is conducive to them creating the best possible experience for gamers. I think previously it was more of a Far Cry situation - just something they didn't think about until it was too late.

I'm sure that situation still exists (just lack of knowledge about the advantages of dedicated servers), but now there's a new element that we're seeing - that of control. Game developers and publishers want to control their creations exclusively. They don't want dedicated servers out there letting other people possibly make money off their creations!

I say all this because I strongly believe that dedicated servers in a game give the best possible experience for gamers in multiplayer PC games like FPSs. Period. Unless you, as a game developer, are prepared to go out and put up servers in every country and manage them all, then you will not create a product will work as well for gamers all over the world (see: recent AVP demo issues, and the subsequent list of pre-order cancellations that have followed).

I'm sorry if our comments have upset Codemasters, and I'm sure it is extremely frustrating for Codemasters to have to read all these complaints. I don't want to tell you how to do your business, but if you want to build a brand that customers trust, dropping ongoing support for the multiplayer aspect of a game is not the best way to do it (see: Blizzard and their ongoing commitment to Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3).

I really am sorry, but you cannot imagine my frustration, after 10 years of trying to get developers on board with the dedicated server model, pointing at case after case where it has been hugely successful - Counter-Strike, Battlefield, Quake, Unreal, Modern Warfare - and case after case where multiplayer games have failed horribly because they didn't think about their infrastructure needs on a global scale pre-release, instead opting for some half-assed matchmaking solution that worked in their limited beta testing for a handful of people in their own country.

This frustration is shared by PC gamers all over the world, increasing further as the gap between console and PC widens and more developers opt to try to cash in on the cheap knock-off PC version only to leave PC gamers with a foul taste in their mouth.

Codemasters, it's not too late to make this right. All it would take would be a concerted effort by your developers to throw out a dedicated server for your game. Maybe a few man-hours on top of that to fix the most commonly-complained about issues.

I will happily volunteer my services and the services of our company to provide advice, feedback and support - including running servers here in Australia to guide you guys into creating a solid dedicated server platform.

Our company released a guide for developers and publishers explaining the benefits of dedicated servers and the features needed to make them work - I can't post the URL because I'm a noob to this forum, but Google "mammoth dedicated server guide" will hook you up.

Even if you opt not to do this for Dragon Rising, I strongly urge you to read this guide and keep it in mind for your next PC release. Get a dedicated server software package out before the game hits the shelves and support for it in your demo. Let PC gamers know you haven't forgotten them.

Edited by Eble

I just can't believe that there are still people defending and supporting CM. "You have to stay positive and give constructive criticism" they say... why? If someone kicks you in the balls, do you give him "constructive criticism"? Do you kindly ask him to stop, and hope he won't do it again? Because that's what's happening here. I guess some people still actually believe that CM is a decent developer. Or that DR is actually a good game. These people get spoonfed so much nonsense, and they just eat it up.

Unbelievable, really.

Vote with your wallet... if a developer does something really stupid (no dedicated servers, lying, selling out the name of a classic tactical gaming franchise - ALL of which CM have done), simply don't buy any of their games. If you do, you are supporting the downfall of PC gaming, because you can bet your ass they keep doing it as long as the cash keeps flowing in.

In my opinion, CM is the worst developer ever. They represent everything that is wrong with today's gaming industry.

Also, this thread is funny.

EDIT: You know what's also sad: the fans of the real OFP warned about this long before release (because it was obvious that DR would become more arcade than realistic)... but they wouldn't listen. I guess we can now say "I told you so". :D

Edited by Buzz_Fledderjohn

In my opinion, CM is the worst developer ever. They represent everything that is wrong with today's gaming industry

Didn't they just start off as publishers?

If they did they should have kept it that way, I bought OFPDR on the off-chance that it might actually be good, I bought it from ASDA and it was shit so I traded it in at Gamestation and they offered me more that what I payed for it haha.

way'>http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/not-for-dragon-rising-anyway

Here's a good thread.

CM started as Publishers yes. Then there was a big potential to recruit newly graduated people from the local programming/game development schools started with the help of Peter Molyneux. I've documented the relationship between Molyneux and CM. So they have a cheap work force, fresh out of school around the corner. Produce mediocre games, hype them in the Molyneux style, and you have the now famous British Gaming Industry.

They don't know how to develop a game. It's simply outside their level of understanding.

Luhgnut;1574410']way'>http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/not-for-dragon-rising-anyway

Here's a good thread.

CM started as Publishers yes. Then there was a big potential to recruit newly graduated people from the local programming/game development schools started with the help of Peter Molyneux. I've documented the relationship between Molyneux and CM. So they have a cheap work force' date=' fresh out of school around the corner. Produce mediocre games, hype them in the Molyneux style, and you have the now famous British Gaming Industry.

They don't know how to develop a game. It's simply outside their level of understanding.[/quote']

that link don't work for some reason.

that link don't work for some reason.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/not-for-dragon-rising-anyway

Fixed that for you.

Does anyone know about a list of CM non-racing games that they actually develop? There's a list of CM games on wikipedia, but CM is only publisher for most of them. I was hoping that at least the Blade of Darkness was theirs but nooo, silly me, how could it.. it was a GREAT game.

I hear CM just dropped support for DR. No more patches.

Probably a good idea, the 1st patch did nothing and the 2nd broke more than it fixed.

I barely dare think about what would have happened if a 3rd patch came out :D

This thread really is a testament to the absolute power of bad PR and disgruntled customers.

I know this thread is being closed shortly but I suspect it would still be going into 2011 if it was allowed to.

CM really stepped in it with DR and I seriously doubt we will ever see Lenton and Co at the helm of another project (not even a remake of Pac Man).

Edited by BangTail

I have never seen so many banhammers getting flung about on any forum compared to the over there.

Edited by CW001
Fixed for Madus_Maximus :D

I have never seen so many banhammers getting flung about on any forum compared to the DR one.

Don't say that "over there" or you'll get banned!

Fixed that for you.

Does anyone know about a list of CM non-racing games that they actually develop? There's a list of CM games on wikipedia, but CM is only publisher for most of them. I was hoping that at least the Blade of Darkness was theirs but nooo, silly me, how could it.. it was a GREAT game.

thx Mysh

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Fixed that for you.

yeah the good games in that list were developed by somebody else, and they only published. Wife and I played LOTRO and that was good, but Turbine did it. I think it's only housed off CM servers. You know there isn't anything on that list that I would actually purchase that was Developed by CM.

Eurogamer: Let's say I want to join the army. Will I better my chances by playing Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?

Sion Lenton: You'd probably have a better chance than you would if you played [Call of Duty]. Ha ha. No hiding behind rocks to get better in real life, I tell you.

I hope a soldier kicks that dipshit in the face.

Lmfao...that's made my day that. thanks. :D

Eurogamer: Let's say I want to join the army. Will I better my chances by playing Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?

Sion Lenton: You'd probably have a better chance than you would if you played [Call of Duty]. Ha ha. No hiding behind rocks to get better in real life, I tell you.

Yeah, last time I checked you don't get a deployable anti-bullet shield that gets smaller the more the enemy shoots at you either. :j:

That video of Sion Lenton with the airsoft weapons was one of the most cringe-worthy things I've had the displeasure of witnessing.