Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

you could try calculating the mean position of both sides entire forces, then find the average position between those two points, and have both sides focus there attention in the direction of that point if they are within x distance of it (with some variation/randomness)

well that's the point though, it's strategic to scope out towns that aren't protected to cap for points and to go where the enemy isn't. Not to force anything on a player. I could drop them right into the battle but there's no challenge to that and no strategy. It becomes a straight up shooter.

Was thinking of setting a high value target with other targets getting less and less valuable the further away from the primary. So you can still win by taking all the smaller towns and leave the big one. Which would end in stalemate. That promotes the attack and defense from both sides. The real balance is in having so many AI in one place that it lags the servers out. If I figured the variance of the two opposing forces, they would be pushed together over seemingly unneeded territory to battle. (We must all send our best and brightest to fight over that hog pen.) While the actual high value targets are left alone.

gives me an idea though.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

sorry I thought you were talking about controlling the AI within a town, not controlling the ai from a "overview" perspective

each area could be given a "hot zone meter" which stores a single number for each side. as enemies are spotted within x distance from each point, the meter goes up, with a slow cooldown on it also. the "hotter" the point, the more focus the ai should be on that point. the areas just dont have to be critical places. obviously this would only be applied to those ai units which have been placed in the "front line" category if you get me

This sounds like a cool Idea actually.... And te bigger the Town is, the higher is his hot Zone Meter by default

This sounds like a cool Idea actually.... And te bigger the Town is, the higher is his hot Zone Meter by default

Isn't this how Warfare and CTI type missions work?

Something I ran into tonight, while most of the article might not be relevant to the topic at hand (It's still a funny read), the interesting bit is the "An Alternative Solution" bit. Maybe someone needs to point it out to the guy who wrote it that such a solution isn't really non-existent. :P

Thats really good^^, well Codemasters made the desired game. Will have to read

"How to Form Your Own Cult in 5 Easy Steps" Tomorrow

you could try calculating the mean position of both sides entire forces, then find the average position between those two points, and have both sides focus there attention in the direction of that point if they are within x distance of it (with some variation/randomness)

OR more realisticly you could have the unit check the direction in which all units within x distance are facing/defending, taking the direction with the most units facing as being the "front line" and the other as rear guard. then come up with a decent percentage of those in range units that should be defending in the other directions (say 5-10%) and choose a "rearword" direction if less that 5% are defending in that direction, otherwise choose the main direction (did that make sense!)

uh...

you can't tell what's attacking and defending. cause they will attack and defend as needed from the AI commanders.

it's easier than that. just need to have a count of enemy in the area, and if it's less than a certain percentage in relation to friendlies. and just dynamically switch way points.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

The real challenge would be setting it up so it only counts enemies spotted, maybe some scouts to pickup approaching enemies

Luhgnut;1557608']uh...

you can't tell what's attacking and defending. cause they will attack and defend as needed from the AI commanders.

Really? you cant find this out? thats terrible that the editor doesnt allow these types of queries. this is easy in DR.

and you realise you replied to my post twice

Really? you cant find this out? thats terrible that the editor doesnt allow these types of queries. this is easy in DR.

Are you really going to keep coming here defending that f**king joke of a game?

Get a grip FFS.

The fact that this thread is still going is utterly pathetic. DR was dead about 10 days after release.

Edited by BangTail

no, it's not needed in Arma2. Why would I want to manually micromanage the thought processes of a few hundred troops?

waste of time. I tell them where I want them, and they take care of the rest.

All I have to do is count how many ai are in the area, and if less than a certain amount and there's more ai in another... off they go. I couldn't imagine figuring out who's attacking and who's defending ..... micromanagement to the extremes! You mean you actually do this in DR?

If you do this, that's just another massive failure for DR. It keeps getting worse and worse, the more you learn about it.

You remind me of a Fortran programmer of the 70's, great language, very powerful, worthless by today's standards.

And to say that it's terrible if the Arma2 editor fails in this? It's not in there because the ENGINE handles the micromanagement. Not the level designer. Hilarious.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1557680']no' date=' it's not needed in Arma2. Why would I want to manually micromanage the thought processes of a few hundred troops?

waste of time. I tell them where I want them, and they take care of the rest.

All I have to do is count how many ai are in the area, and if less than a certain amount and there's more ai in another... off they go. I couldn't imagine figuring out who's attacking and who's defending ..... micromanagement to the extremes! You mean you actually do this in DR?

If you do this, that's just another massive failure for DR. It keeps getting worse and worse, the more you learn about it.

You remind me of a Fortran programmer of the 70's, great language, very powerful, worthless by today's standards.

And to say that it's terrible if the Arma2 editor fails in this? It's not in there because the ENGINE handles the micromanagement. Not the level designer. Hilarious.[/quote']

oh my fucking god, I was just trying to be helpful. yet another shining example of why I dont bother with this game. Its community members are dicks

grow the fuck up

I'm really curious about what percentage of the posts in this thread belong to [RIP] Luhgnut.

Abs

I'm really curious about what percentage of the posts in this thread belong to [RIP] Luhgnut.

Abs

If you click on the topics replies it lists users and post counts made in this topic. ([RIP] Luhgnut - 292)

oh my fucking god, I was just trying to be helpful. yet another shining example of why I dont bother with this game. Its community members are dicks

grow the fuck up

Yeees your so helpful thanks a lot. So now it's the members fault you don't wanna bother with ArmA 2, was it when nobody tried to help you with the very basics of controlling your AI.... lol :rolleyes:

Yeees your so helpful thanks a lot. So now it's the members fault you don't wanna bother with ArmA 2, was it when nobody tried to help you with the very basics of controlling your AI.... lol :rolleyes:

one I wasnt talking to you, two stop trolling

You keep comming to this forum and you really don't like ArmA 2 so whos the obvious troll calling the members here "dicks" :rolleyes:

oh my fucking brain, I was just trying to be helpful. yet another shining example of why I dont bother with this game. Its community members are dicks

grow the fuck up

You try to help? With what? You don't like this game, you don't play this game, You don't know anything about the ArmA2 editor, You are here only because you don't have anyone to discuss with on the other forum, DR is a big BS, everyone knows that, and you're stuck in it.

And please do not come here with your "superiority" and "wisdom" just to insult members of this forum, because many have tried to help you when you needed.

You try to help? With what? You don't like this game, you don't play this game, You don't know anything about the ArmA2 editor, You are here only because you don't have anyone to discuss with on the other forum, DR is a big BS, everyone knows that, and you're stuck in it.

And please do not come here with your "superiority" and "wisdom" just to insult members of this forum, because many have tried to help you when you needed.

QFT

Epic LULZ @ templax slagging off the BiS community... at least they HAVE a community AND have half a clue on how to keep it. Unlike some company i could mention who dont give a rats ass about its customers. That's all they are... customers.... not one raging clue how to build and provide for a community. Just some individuals who provide them with cash for their console coffers.

Dont you dare come here slagging off this community when you come from poor roots yourself defending that PoS Codemonkeys call a game.

WTF Templar? First Loughnut explains you how he handels this in Arma, then you say Arma Editor is bad because there is no need to micromanagement everything, Loughnut explains this to you and actually feels sorry for you that you have to do this all by yourself in the DR Editor, and then you start to bitch arround? Man you better grow up!

Back on topic please, unless the topic is all talked out, in which case it might be time to join other, more productive topics. :p

Planck

Back on topic please, unless the topic is all talked out, in which case it might be time to join other, more productive topics. :p

Planck

/QFT

/10 chars

grow the fuck up

If you would have shut up just saying your opinion, which I took as advice, it would have been fine. I explain that it's not needed in Arma2. You reply that the arma2 editor is sad because it doesn't give you the ability to micromanage your AI. I'm then shocked that you think having the ability or need to micromanage your AI is a bonus in DR.

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to arma2. Nothing. You can't even command your troops to exit a vehicle, but you're so willing to give your insight into something you know nothing of. I have over 2 dozen maps published with thousands of downloads, and played on many servers. I have clans putting in orders and requests for missions in Arma2. My point being, is that I know a tad bit more than you in the A2 editor. You have what, one, maybe two published for DR? And now you're an expert critic of Arma2 editor?? Go micromanage your AI, I'll go build a war.

If you have a problem with me, fine, bring it. But to call the rest of the community "dicks" because I post my personal opinion, is moronic.

I do recall when you released your "Ultimate Roam" mission for DR, I actually sent you a PM from an account that you didn't recognize. Yes, that was me. I applauded your work. You attacked me not even knowing who I was, and were too stupid to even know that I was giving you kudo's. I asked a question in that PM that was not pointed at you or anything, it was an honest question, and you attacked me for no reason what-so-ever. To attack someone that actually gave you praise in a PM, got me wondering if you had "issues". Yeah surprise.

to get back on topic:

Dragon Rising sucks.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

One: When you say the A2 community are "dicks" you ARE talking to them.

Two: They weren't trolling. When you address the whole community and they respond. They aren't trolling. The poster of the "dicks" comment is the troll.

Trolling is when you address the whole community as "dicks". That is trolling. You don't even know the difference.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Oi what you saying!!... i drive a hyundai and i play arma2 :D

Hehe I was just saying for the same price

Hope u didn't pay a BMW price for the Hyundai:D

Edited by vasmkd