Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Hi All

I think CM are just hoping to last long enough for Warner Brothers to take them over.

I feel a little sorry for their staff who will probably all get the chop if Warner Brothers do take them over all WB will want is the titles.

Hi all

The amusing thing for me is that like three other titles that CM whored their brand with, DR is another failure. They are loosing money hand over fist and are now a takeover target.

http://play.tm/news/25281/warner-bros-eying-codemasters-take-over/

They are also hemorrhaging staff making them less attractive.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/18/codemaster-coo-jumps-ship/

They are so desperate there is talk of them selling titles to stay afloat.

CM's failure to properly manage the quality of their brands is famed in the industry.

http://www.bruceongames.com/2008/03/21/codemasters-disasters-4-managing-brands/

If the Warner Brothers take over is not going to take place they may have to ask for less money and seek another buyer.

BIS could even buy them :D

Kind Regards Walker

Kind Regards walker

The sad thing about it is the following :

- if DR is a financial disaster, it will be another excuse for publishers to say that realistic mil-sims are not profitable anymore, and we'll probably won't see a worthy competitor for a long time.

- if DR is a success in its current state, it will be another excuse for releasing rushed games based on false promises and simplistic gameplay.

Well, you can look at it like that, or, based on the sales of ArmA 2 as a comparison - Good games of this genre (or any others) sell well, bad ones don't.

Half full, half empty issue really. God forbid the bean-counters at these big places look across the hole scene before evaluating.. I know, it doesn't happen often.

PC Gamer UK gave DR 69%, and they gave ArmA II 83%.

Enough said.

Gamestar gave ArmA2 66% and OFPDR 78%.

we'll probably won't see a worthy competitor for a long time.

Does anyone have any evidence that competition actually makes games better? Game companies don't WANT to compete, especially with titles that have similar release dates and fan bases. They'll do anything they can to avoid it.

Designing them is such a tortured process, you can't just try to improve things like you can with a tennis shoe.

We just saw the results of CM trying to compete with BIS- misinformation, corner cutting and selective gimmicks.

Gamestar gave ArmA2 66% and OFPDR 78%.

Yeah they would probably do it differently if they could do it over ;)

The only effect competition has on the games industry is the pressure on publishers to make deadlines which forces buggy/incomplete titles to emerge.

So you can set your sprinting speed to whatever you want just by editing some config file and that works in multiplayer? What an absolute joke this game is.

with the flamefest that is now the OFP-DR forums, everyones favorite mod closed the Arma2 thread in off topic, too many people were going in and comparing the games, I guess he didn't like it when the truth was coming back to bite him on the ass.

All those lies and now the truth is out and they can't hide it :)

I knew OFP-DR wouldn't be like OFP but I was totally shocked at just how bad it was, Sp is good and COOP if you can get a decent group but MP is a wasteland of lagg and disappointment.

Edited by Eble

So is there actually anybody elso who's interested in DR? Let me know, cos we could play a nice coop. :p

So is there actually anybody elso who's interested in DR? Let me know, cos we could play a nice coop. :p

I'm learning to use mission editor at the moment, so i'm very interested alright... Buuut, well, that takes all my free time at the moment. Besides my internet connection is grappy. :p

leaning is there , but not implemented in the game , i think they're going to adress it in the next patch

Maybe slightly offtopic but...

I decided to search the net for "most realistic first person shooter" to see if people had made comparisons between Arma and DR. From my search I found a poll rating CoD:WaW as the most realistic, with CoD4 close behind, and ArmA about 5th most realistic, with many people complaining that Crysis wasn't on the poll.

Yahoo answers were good too, with the question "what's the most realistic shooter, including bullet drop, timing, calculations, etc?". The second favourite answer was Arma 2, the first favourite being Crysis and Far Cry 2, mind you, the person also thinks that Crytek make both of those games.

That is not NEW AI...it is a bunch of modified files which you need to use and replace your original ones...

which leads me to the following

Regarding DR and the modding support:

First off, even if "hats off" for the two guys who have released the AI and other fixes is due, those can hardly be called mods, as you need to replace your original files with those ones...kind of shite approach if you ask me.

Wouldn't a game that is said to be supporting the modding community feature a way to LOAD mods and addons in the game without needing to replace your core files? Am i missing something?

Regarding leaning - well, Q and E are the keys to use for LEAN, and those are taken by 2 other actions atm (even if you can bind to dif keys). But i doubt there will be LEAN on consoles, due to the limited amount of buttons on the pad...

Unless someone has some proper info about the content of the patch (from reliable source that is), i suggest you stop spamming shit (see william1 post)

That is not NEW AI...it is a bunch of modified files which you need to use and replace your original ones...

completely false, please stop spamming shit

Regarding leaning - well, Q and E are the keys to use for LEAN, and those are taken by 2 other actions atm (even if you can bind to dif keys). But i doubt there will be LEAN on consoles, due to the limited amount of buttons on the pad...

If it was just easy to implement lean in a patch why they didn't it before the release? I remembered that there was already a lot of people complaining about that when they annouced the no lean feature. Why wait for the release of the game to easily patch it?

It doesn't make sense. Well I'm just speculating....

It drastically modifies AI behaviour, therefore it can be called new AI.

Though I agree that without leaning, its kinda funky to use.

Regarding DR and the modding support:

First off, even if "hats off" for the two guys who have released the AI and other fixes is due, those can hardly be called mods, as you need to replace your original files with those ones...kind of shite approach if you ask me.

post)

Thats just plain wrong, whilst not as easy or flexible as using modfolders, using mods in DR is far from difficult.

In root there is a folder call data_win, so far modfolders go in here. deciding which ones to use/not to use is as easy as cut/paste.

TemplarGFX' last AI mod is quite tasty, the one on that video is his first revision. Its not worth knocking it if you havent tried it.

I dont understand why it should not be called a mod, its similar in changes to RG's TRUEAI mod and nobody tried to put him down for releasing that.

Edited by xmongx

Yep, you can use them as mods, although they had to create the mods by hacking/cracking the files since CM hasn't released an SDK or anything else to allow modding.

Now the game will suffer for not having lean.

AI does lean, funny that player's lean was left out :p

Mod doesn't make lack of lean as much unpleasant as the fact that AI sees thru grass, well ofcourse this is personal point of view, i don't much use lean anyways but tend to move character to engage position and back to cover... Anyways back to grass-issue: It's same as ArmA at start, damn i hated to cross hills. Cladly BIS fixed it. Just hoping that CM does the same fix... Yeah i'm not holding my breath :p