Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Here, i highlighted all the blasphemy. All i can say is:

way of thinking dictatorial:icon_rolleyes:

Now first and foremost post ain't directed only to EricM but to all:

I play OFP almost daily still. Unlike ArmA or ArmA2 demo. OFP, with WGL or FFUR&SLX, Liberation mod etc.

Concerning why i play it: It's ruins immersion that i find out that i still play the same game with just improved outlooks. Some basic things broken, like AI's taking cover skills and lacking micro detail in terrain setting. Replace those with poor character controls etc. That is the main problem for ME. So I will mirror OF:DR to OFP [listens how fanbois starts howling. Feels amused]. OFP was something new but is getting old, maybe OF:DR will be something new again, seem like it wields such potential (unlike ArmA-series). Simple as that, and no matter how "badly" or "deeply" "offended" someone will feel about it.

Good luck, see ya back here next week. If you're a veteran of OFP, I think after the first mission in DR (if that long) you'll toss in the towel.

Really no reason to start howling about it, you will just make jerk out of yourself. Keep playing with ArmA2 by all means, i'm not taking it away from you, or judging you. But don't try to stuff you opinions to me about how ArmA2 is so super: i've tried it, tested it, judged it already.

Not howling, but good luck. You'll be back into Arma2 I would say, ummm by the weekend.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Yes, but as I said earlier, it is being toted by CM to be the official sequel to OFP. And because of that, I don't think it should be judged in any way other than that. They were confident enough in their game to take the OFP name from BIS, and produced this crap out of doing so.

Totally agree. It's like making Doom the follow-to Quake4. They marketed it as a direct sequel to OFP, so it should be judged by the same. It's not marketed as a follow up or a successor to COD, but directly to OFP. and in that regard, utter failure. It's a cute game. But like I've said before, if you rent it from Blockbuster on Friday, by Sunday you'll have played through the campaign prolly 3-4 times, and since multi-player is non-existent, the editor buggy, and you have to hand hold the AI every step of the way and micro-manage mission building, when you return the game on Monday, believe me, you've seen the shallowness of it.

They stuck the OFP name on it, now they want to classify it separate after game. OFP was a simulator, CM started marketing DR as a simulator, but once they found out it couldn't do nearly what Arma and Arma2 did, they dropped back and punted, then calling it a tactical shooter.

Nothing can come close to replacing the original OFP. ArmA and ArmA II are great, but not as good as OFP. However, DR is never going to come close to replacing OFP. I feel saddened when people say such blasphemy! :(

Well said

OFP was the best, all it needed was some visual improvements like in ArmA-II, and some work on certain AI aspects, but it worked, and it felt real.

What saddens me is the large number of people who could careless about the look of the game, and only about game play itself. It's true game play is important, but there are a million great games to choose from if that's all you're after.

I always thought of OFP, and ARMA to be different from the rest in that the developers always shrived to produce something that really made you feel like you were in war. If the lighting, textures, and caustics do not mimic the real world, then what you have is a typical game like all the rest. We don't go out and buy expensive systems to run games that look fake. Though there are some that do, why I'll never know.

On a positive note: being that this is the same game engine, (I think) maybe an update could address these issues if enough people complain.

Edited by starstreams

Of course there's no reason for howling. If you want a complete change from operation flashpoint/arma, then dragon rising isn't a bad choice. Just don't go in expecting a military simulator. I don't just say that as a comparison to ofp1 but shortly before release the lead Producer said "dragon rising will not be a military simulator"

The confusion part comes in with the fact that it has the operation flashpoint name and that even though the dev team kept saying it wasn't a sim, marketing/pr kept advertising it as one.

Not to beat a dead Dragon but unfortunately I have to take back most of the nice things I said about DR. :(

I thought the sounds of the firefight were nice and made things immersive, which they are (nice), but I had also bought a headset for the first time the same day and had never played Arma2 on them - which have a BIG effect!

I took a week off of Arma2 but just couldn't get into DR period. I think I've played a total of maybe 3 hours? There really is just zero immersiveness and that world is mind-numbingly bland.

For some real immersion, just add a blizzard (Nims weather) into Namalsk Island, set up a basic mission and you'll know what I'm talking about - stunning!

Edited by froggyluv

Not to beat a dead Dragon but unfortunately I have to take back most of the nice things I said about DR. :(

I thought the sounds of the firefight were nice and made things immersive, which they are (nice), but I had also bought a headset for the first time the same day and had never played Arma2 on them - which have a BIG effect!

I took a week off of Arma2 but just couldn't get into DR period. I think I've played a total of maybe 3 hours? There really is just zero immersiveness and that world is mind-numbingly bland.

For some real immersion, just add a blizzard (Nims weather) into Namalsk Island, set up a basic mission and you'll know what I'm talking about - stunning!

QFT

The mission I made (which my crew and I are playing now) is on Namalsk (with NIM's medium snow) and it's absolutely stunning. Add VOP and some decent headphones and you're set.

All was peaceful with the occasional Owl hooting and a gentle breeze blowing through the grass when an enemy sniper started shooting at me with a Dragunov. I almost jumped out of my "tilt and swivel" :D

Eth

Edited by BangTail

New AI mod made by TemplarGFX:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391444

-Increased in-combat sight range, but original sight range when not in combat

-sight range in vehicles not increased

-lowered vision distance at night

-searching for enemies takes longer

-when under fire, ai seeks cover faster

-ai waits longer before coming out of cover

-ai will search for cover better while moving

-ai will copy your stance from a greater distance

-when ordered to return fire only, ai will return fire to enemies shooting at allies from a greater distance away

-different experience levels have better accuracy

-morale/experience taken into account when firing at player

-increased sight range while crouched

-units can make slightly more noise around units without being detected

-distance at which ai instantly detects units from sound decreased

-mid range targetting level increased to improve firing frequency at far targets

-HALVED all the strength values for ai units to increase the chances of death from single bullet

-medics will heal units further away

-soldiers will heal units (if backed up) from further away

-medics/soldiers will no longer attempt to heal a unit if last medic/soldier died attempting to.

-AI sees officers and LMG gunners in fire teams as bigger threats than medics and rifleman

-AI sees Special Forces are bigger threat than fire teams

-AI sees SPecial Forces Leaders as yet a bigger threat still, and Snipers as HUGE threats

-AI sees scouts (Op Forward) units as bigger threats than rifleman

-AI morale regeneration speed lowered

-AI morale regeneration bonus for being in cover lowered (due to bad use of cover)

-AI morale degeneration for being pinned increased significantly

-AI moralle degeneration for being suppressed increased significantly

rather than changing accuracy (this does, but not to the degree of my last mod) this looks at improving the way the AI act."

New AI mod made by TemplarGFX:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391444

-Increased in-combat sight range, but original sight range when not in combat

-sight range in vehicles not increased

-lowered vision distance at night

-searching for enemies takes longer

-when under fire, ai seeks cover faster

-ai waits longer before coming out of cover

-ai will search for cover better while moving

-ai will copy your stance from a greater distance

-when ordered to return fire only, ai will return fire to enemies shooting at allies from a greater distance away

-different experience levels have better accuracy

-morale/experience taken into account when firing at player

-increased sight range while crouched

-units can make slightly more noise around units without being detected

-distance at which ai instantly detects units from sound decreased

-mid range targetting level increased to improve firing frequency at far targets

-HALVED all the strength values for ai units to increase the chances of death from single bullet

-medics will heal units further away

-soldiers will heal units (if backed up) from further away

-medics/soldiers will no longer attempt to heal a unit if last medic/soldier died attempting to.

-AI sees officers and LMG gunners in fire teams as bigger threats than medics and rifleman

-AI sees Special Forces are bigger threat than fire teams

-AI sees SPecial Forces Leaders as yet a bigger threat still, and Snipers as HUGE threats

-AI sees scouts (Op Forward) units as bigger threats than rifleman

-AI morale regeneration speed lowered

-AI morale regeneration bonus for being in cover lowered (due to bad use of cover)

-AI morale degeneration for being pinned increased significantly

-AI moralle degeneration for being suppressed increased significantly

rather than changing accuracy (this does, but not to the degree of my last mod) this looks at improving the way the AI act."

Didn't like it. AI seem to be perfect at getting 98% headshots from miles away and giving me no chance to actually get anywhere

Are you talking about this new mod or about his old mods (hardcore IA, semi-hardcore AI, improved AI etc)? This new is probably not that ultrahard...

I tried old "improved AI" mod and it worked very well.

im talking about the one you listed. I tried it before and after applying the mod. i noticed an immediate strong increase in difficulty. I just reached the top of a hill and out of nowhere (well 800 metres away to be exact) i got about 7 similtanious headshot kills from 3 mg nests. After realoading about 6 times there was nothing i could do to return fire or have a fighting chance. I appreciate it increases ai but now they are like robocop

I have DR since last week and I am sad to say that I have played with it, a total of twenty minutes. I just can't do it. I see the shortcut on my desktop and I hover over it thinking "Give me a reason to play this game. What happens in this game that doesn't happen in Arma 2, ten times better and more enjoyable in every aspect?"

Frames per second is the only answer I can come up with. Better FPS. Tempting but.. no thanks.

Well, I've been keeping DR on my hard drive for a little while now to see if any notable improvements would be made to it, or to see if I would actually start enjoying it. I've experienced neither, and it's no longer wasting space rotting on my hard drive.

I have DR since last week and I am sad to say that I have played with it, a total of twenty minutes. I just can't do it. I see the shortcut on my desktop and I hover over it thinking "Give me a reason to play this game. What happens in this game that doesn't happen in Arma 2, ten times better and more enjoyable in every aspect?"

Frames per second is the only answer I can come up with. Better FPS. Tempting but.. no thanks.

like i keep saying everyone one is whinging about the game only because its not like ofp1 or arma. its made by codemasters who have taken it away and made something new with it, its a completly different game now. if you had nothing to compare it to you would have nothing to complain about.

you cant get a game like civilization and bitch about it because it doesnt do the same things as settlers or has better graphics because they are seperate games. the only thing that ties dragon rising is that it shares the same name as operation flashpoint. that is where the similarites end

like i keep saying everyone one is whinging about the game only because its not like ofp1 or arma. its made by codemasters who have taken it away and made something new with it, its a completly different game now.

Not really, the game is average no matter if I look at it as a mil-sim, tactical shooter or arcade.

I can think of at least one game per each genre I'd enjoy playing more.

I guess that's one of my problems I get with DR. When one of my mates comes around for a LAN (the only one that'll play DR), we play for about 1-2 hours, then spend 4-5 hours on other games like Arma and Resident Evil (or whatever other coop games are going around), but that's all I play it now, I try to play on my own but end up quitting and loading something else up.

It just doesn't seem to hold my interest.

Made 1st ever editor mission today and i'll tell you boy does this game really lag behind what they said it was. I plotted a man down and all the chinese vehicles. 1 of each (think there are 13 or something like that)

When i played the exploring mission all i could see the guns of the vehicles until i got to 10-20 metres of the vehicle (then the vehicles popped up).

What a joke u can only have a few vehicles at a time.

Anyway next i explored for a few minutes and these things i discovered:

-Objects dissapear like a cartoon FPS when u hit them or shoot them

-barrels explode

-crappy destruction animations

-windows do magic dissapearing act when u shoot them, so fake

-hardly any villages

-vehicles physics very bad, handling is bad

-no 3rd person view

-no looking around in vehicles

-ai dissapear when dead

-trees nearly all the same

-tanks bounce of trees

-helicopter bounces off trees

If i had more time (played 30 minutes in editor) i bet i would find way more but the vehicle limit and man limit alone in editor kill it for me

What were CM thinking????

No wonder nearly all DR vids on youtube are not user made with actual gameplay

I'll try it a few more times nex time i visit my mate but i doubt i will like anything about the game not including the short campaign which is ok from missions i tried

like i keep saying everyone one is whinging if you had nothing to compare it to you would have nothing to complain about.

If Arma and OPF didn't exist I would probably still be playing Cod and Medal of Honor games. I would consider Dragon Rising to be an ambitious but average game that could do better and that the idea was tempting but the game lacks adrenaline, cinematic action and that very important feeling of accomplishment and pure gaming joy that Cod4 gave me!

Fortunately Arma2 exists and I can't help but compare the two, based on their claims. Arma2 is sandbox and you can do all the crap that says on the box and it's more realistic and complete as a whole.

As I see it, Arma promised a lot and managed to fulfill almost ALL of those promises to a certain extend. Some very successfully... some half-arsed, but it did!

Dragon Rising promised to be even better that Arma and put itself in the same gaming category... and came up short. No wonder most people compare it to the Battlefield games.

It just doesn't deliver. I am sure with a bit of modding it will become a decent game, but not Arma decent. And to be honest a modded Arma is as close to perfection as you can have right now.

Amazing maps, amazing sound mods, a few tweaks here and there and you got exactly the game you want.

Edited by Master gamawa

like i keep saying everyone one is whinging about the game only because its not like ofp1 or arma. its made by codemasters who have taken it away and made something new with it, its a completly different game now. if you had nothing to compare it to you would have nothing to complain about.

you cant get a game like civilization and bitch about it because it doesnt do the same things as settlers or has better graphics because they are seperate games. the only thing that ties dragon rising is that it shares the same name as operation flashpoint. that is where the similarites end

We can certainly complain that it's not what the designers themselves said it was going to be, that is, a contemporary update of the original Operation Flashpoint game. If you bought Civilisation II and it bore no resemblance and had little of the features that Civilisation had, you'd be concerned right? Same thing.

@DMarkwick:

Precisely. I've followed the progress of Dragon Rising from, what, beginning of this year, and I remember thinking (slightly immaturely) "this game is going to be pure awesomeness on a stick..." We were shown great videos (pre-renders), saw brilliant screenies (turn out to be "artists' impressions"), told how great the game was going to be (there were lists of cool stuff), how it was going to be *ahem* "as close to war as you want to get"... and really, it was all just this enormous snow job. It turns out that what they *didn't* show us was so much more significant than what they *did*.

Anyway, no point griping - I've got Arma2, don't need anything else as far as mil sims go.

Hi all,

I did try the game yesterday night at a friends house and was able to play for some limited time.

Well let me say, "Jesus, how good do we have it with Arma1 and Arma2, despite the bugs an performance-issues."

On my critical, magic 1-10 scale, i'd give OFP DR 2.5 of 10 points.

There are a few things i like, like the overall sound atmosphere like the way distant sounds are "altered" or "presented" to the player, so to speak - it gives a nice "feel within" atmosphere, like when you watch actual Iraq/Afghanistan war footages.

Of course i also like the weapon animations and sometimes i'd quite like the atmosphere in smaller villages, but thats all about it.

The Rest is sadly to put it in a simple word: Crap!

Even more since considering the amount of false advertising/informations they have presented before release, the hoax hype they have created and last but not least, considering the assets of this multi-billion pounds corporation......tztztz....

ive said it before and ill say it again, its probably really cool on xbox which is clearly what it was designed to be. just not a PC worthy milsim in any way. playing it is pretty much exactly like playing an xbox game with your head two feet from the tv screen.

-Objects dissapear like a cartoon FPS when u hit them or shoot them

-barrels explode

-crappy destruction animations

-windows do magic dissapearing act when u shoot them, so fake

-hardly any villages

-vehicles physics very bad, handling is bad

-no 3rd person view

-no looking around in vehicles

-ai dissapear when dead

-trees nearly all the same

-tanks bounce of trees

-helicopter bounces off trees

So, over all, it looks like they didn't do as badly as we thought.

Even when not comparing DR to flashpoint, it fails epicly.

Duke nukem 3D had better net code than DR, seriously i think there is a bug with the string "Multiplayer" in the menu, as i think it should read "90`s Dial-up connection simulator (a good one at that)".

5, FIVE hours of singleplayer for 60$? Thats 12$ per hour! I cant even burn money drinking beer that fast (and im good at burning money drinking beer :)

My controls stop working from time to time, the game crashes every time i even try to touch the video options deeper... I can go on and on.

When i look back at my games collection I cant find a game which gave me more disappointment. Really i cant and i have a respectfull collection of games running deep into the Sinclair ZX Spectrum era...

Here's an excerpt from a recent interview between Eurogamer and Sion Lenton:

Eurogamer: I'm glad you mentioned Modern Warfare 2. Do you think it's over-hyped?

Sion Lenton: The very nature of the game, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is a hyped event. It's kind of like the Michael Bay of videogames. Its budget, its sales, all these kind of things - it is a huge game. But if you're worried that about kind of thing then nobody would ever make games - there would only be one football game, one shooter game and one platform. It's healthy to have competition.

I don't actually think we're in the same place as Modern Warfare 2, anyway. We're a different creature. We'll probably get people buying [our game] and Modern Warfare 2 as well. There's a market for both. I really see Modern Warfare 2 as Hollywood and we're the Cannes, the arty documentary - dare I say the reportage-style thing. So, two very different creatures. But [Modern Warfare] is a great game. I'll be buying it, I'll be playing it and I'm sure you will as well.

It's going to be interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few nods to our game in there - we saw a lot of the Infinity Ward developers playing our game at E3, which was quite nice.

The "arty documentary"? Hmmm, where else might this analogy ring true...

Are you kidding me? CM was the "Producer" of the original OFP while BIS was the Director. When was the last time anyone wanted to see "From the Producers of Star Wars/Matrix/Lord O' Rings"?

Oh well, glad that CM has embraced there inner (Emo) artist...

LOL that Sion Lenton dude is priceless, he should do stand ups. I would definetaly /popcorn that. Oh and he should make paper targets with his photo also, many buyers on this forum i bet...