Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

cunt-flavored yoghurt.

Actually, that wouldn't be as tasty as it sounds.

Originally Posted by MadDogX

hyping the game as if it was cunt-flavored yoghurt.

I think that's the best thing I've ever read :D

Thanks MadDogX......

I was drinking coffee at that exact moment I read that. Now there's coffee all over my keyboard. Damn that's funny.

DR isn't the same as Arma/ArmaII, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good game.

That about sums it up. Once you see the game as another mil-action-game it's good fun. Comparing it to OpF/ArmA will only leave you disappointed.

Thx for the fish.

as i told before, Codemasters are modern company which cares about our natural environment

and that's why trees are indestructible

BIS are bad, bad and no ecological, they use plastic (DVD is from plastic, not paper) and their forests have weak trees

so i think we should be gratefull for CM for showing us ecological problem of forests damaged by Abrams tanks

ΔΠO ΠANTOΣ KAKOΔΛIMONOΣ !

Yeah, but DR burns up so much unneeded processing cycles that you will never get back. Furthermore, the PC / Console that it's being played on, is using up precious natural resources in the form of electricity.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

OH oh oh... I forgot...

We posted a video of 63 DR AI guys in a circle around me. They were at 300meters. I time how long it takes them to kill me. I am a stationary target.

Time: 1min 53sec to kill shot.

Some DR Fanboy wrote to me explaining why this is. Now, this excuse is EPIC.

"At that distance they are programmed to miss you."

Now, let's get this straight. I know the 60's were pretty good to me, but... a Combat game where the enemy is programmed to miss you." Now, is that the single most epic excuse you've ever heard?

I'm trying to understand the reasoning for Codemasters to specifically take the time, and effort, and processing power, to program the enemy to miss you. How nice of them. What's next, They F:Dcking Surrender if I shoot back?

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

The reason the OF:DR AI can't hit you is because of what some of the more talented guys over there are calling "the Shield". Basically an invisible force field which magically stops bullets hitting you (vapourises them, I guess).

One of them has figured out a way of disabling and/or altering its values, to improve the lethality of the AI bullets coming your way...

The reason the OF:DR AI can't hit you is because of what some of the more talented guys over there are calling "the Shield". Basically an invisible force field which magically stops bullets hitting you (vapourises them, I guess).

One of them has figured out a way of disabling and/or altering its values, to improve the lethality of the AI bullets coming your way...

I just got an email just now from the guy that coded the mod. Seems like a nice chap. I gave him kudo's for the mod, and that CM should hire him. Well now they have accuracy. Wonder if they move now if you shoot back.

Luhgnut;1467424']I just got an email just now from the guy that coded the mod. Seems like a nice chap. I gave him kudo's for the mod' date=' and that CM should hire him. Well now they have accuracy. Wonder if they move now if you shoot back.[/quote']

He comes across as a reasonable sort of chap, and I've respect for anyone who can work with the files in their "raw" state. I remember when Fallout3 came out, before Bethesda released the GECK, there were some talented people picking apart the source files and creating tweaks, fixes etc.

I feel sorry in a way for people like Acog and TemplarGFX, because they clearly want to make the game work properly, and not some kind of dumbed-down "on rails" shooter.

Not that ArmaII doesn't have its issues in this regard, either, in case I'm coming across as a "fanboi" - I'm following fabrizio T's work on AI scripts on this game with interest, too.

Anyway, if Codies were to release a proper suite of mod tools, then there may be more to DR than there is now. Caveat, the operative words are "may be"...

"May the force be with you Luke.":D

I agree, there are people who want to make the game better and I respect them, but the fact is that the game is still FUBAR without SDK and dedicated server, and now that seemly CM have got a good sell, I have fear that they will do it again in short future:j:

I posted this on the Codemasters forum today, just thought I'd show it to you all to see what you old school chaps (like me) have to say about it.

"So I just finished the game last night.

It is a FUN game. It is. Standout missions were 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10. Out of eleven missions... not bad! It's at it's best in the stealth missions where the scale makes sense. For example mission 5, with my team's fighting withdrawal under heavy pursuit... that was a blast. Mission 6 with the infiltration into the fuel depot... a blast. Etc. I especially love watching my pursuers disappear under a desperate last second arty strike I call in.

There was something missing in the 'large scale' battles though. Atmospherically they work wonderfully. In terms of gameplay... it feels off. You're part of this 'great offensive' yet inevitably it's just you and your squad doing everything. There's moments that feel great, like the attack up the mountain in mission 9 but... it's mostly in your head. They don't rise to the potential they're capable of.

For example, in OFP there was a fantastic mission for FDFMod depicting a Russian against dug in Finnish fortifications, very similar to mission 9 in DR. And honestly that mission blows this one's away. I still remember to this day just barely clearing the Finnish second line and assembling with the surviving 15 - 20 Russian troops. Casualties had been horrific, all our armor had been taken out, etc. The Russian sergeant (in russian VA) shouted "This is it, one more push!", you 'go over the top' and into the breach once more and the sense of accomplishment you feel when you reach the top of the hill was like no other.

Dragon Rising just, rather inexcusably, lacks that sense of scale. It basically feels like GRAW 2 in the countryside. It's FUN but it's fun in the GRAW/R6 Vegas sort of way. It's good but it's good in a fast food sort of way. It lacks substance, it doesn't leave you satisfied. Honestly there's not a lot of 'Operation Flashpoint' in it.

In that particular FDFMod mission it would have been utterly impossible to have reached the top of the hill with a four man squad. No point in even trying. In Dragon Rising's mission 9 me and one other guy cleared out the monastery single handedly. In mission 11 myself and my two man squad cleared the naval base single handedly. Stuff like this is rather disappointing to me.

The closest Dragon Rising came to really capturing the OFP 'large scale battle' feel was in mission 3. The assault, capture, and defense of that village was very well designed and you -did- feel like you were part of a greater force, not just single handedly defending on your own. And I particularly liked the open endedness of it. Sometimes the PLA break through on the eastern/northern flanks, sometimes the U.S. repels them handily, etc. Reminded me of a stellar old OFP mission called 'Facile Ground'.

DR is a fun and good game, it just doesn't really satisfy me. Feel the way I felt after beating 'GRAW 2'... like, now what? Still, it'll be great fun to play co-op. The last mission isn't so good. Basically ended with me and the team just sitting there shooting PLA guys as they walked up to us.

I honestly don't find it to be overly realistic, despite what everyone on metacritic says. Saying this as someone who's been in the 'real thing' twice now (one 'conventional' and one 'low intensity guerilla' conflict'...a silly distinction if ever there was any), and can judge what's 'realistic' or not. You can die in one hit in GRAW and R6 Vegas too. Being vulnerable to bullets doesn't translate into realism, whether you're a tac-shooter or a milsim (and interestingly, ten years ago there wasn't a discernable difference between those two genres). There's just something missing here....

Maybe if there had been MORE of it, and with a more detailed storyline. storylines help a lot, just look at CoD4. The first Call of Duties were only okay games, but the inclusion of such a powerful and resonant story in CoD4 turned it into the best game of '07.

Just want to reiterate that all the stealth missions are blasts though. Dragon Rising is at it's best when you and your four man spec ops squad are behind enemy lines tracking the movements of a PLA general. Or reinforcing a pinned down fireteam.

There's a LOT of wasted opportunity. I never threw one single grenade, never drove or piloted any vehicle besides a humvee in one mission (and only for a little while), never saw off a PLA armored offensive, never ambushed a convoy... etc! It's only eleven missions and could have been much longer, there could have been much more variety in the missions. Even if there had been just just a small sequence of missions in which the PLA counter-attacks and forces you into a defensive role could have made for some interesting gameplay and changed things up a bit

I'm not sure if Dragon Rising has much longevity. New missions, either official or fanbased, would be great but it doesn't seem like the potential is here for there to be a large creative community like there was for OFP or its unofficial sequels that I won't mention here on this forum.

But it was a fun game. It did provide 7 hours of entertainment. Warrants a good 6/10 from me, or 2.5/4 stars in terms of movie ratings. About the same as I gave R6 Vegas or GRAW 2. It's just a bit disappointing. Like those other two franchises it's a shame to see OFP get so watered down .

Oh and by the way, while I'm here... a compass is SORELY needed in hardcore mode! I would play on hardcore more often if it weren't so darn annoying to have to go to the map screen constantly. Part of the fun of OFP was navigating using the compass and recognizable landmarks on your map. Getting around in hardcore mode in DR is just... annoying! It's a little thing but it would make a huge difference."

Bit offtopic but i gotta gree so much, this FDF mission was pure gold, i wonder why noone ever made a similar one, amazing thing and i played it over and over trying to get as many soldiers out alive as i could.

Ontopic, couldnt play DR yet, but maybe thats not a too bad thing

I agree that by looking at DR as it's own game and not meant to be a sequel to OFP, it could be average to some.

But that's not what we're supposed to do. We've even been told just that from CM themselves. The game's been called many, many times the "official sequel to OFP", and as such, we should judge it as that. Not as it's own game. And in that regard, DR fails heavily. So saying that a sequel to a game is good as long as you don't judge it as a sequel to the game... Makes no sense. :confused:

Edited by Zipper5

We've even been told just that from CM themselves. The game's been called many, many times the "official sequel to OFP", and as such, we should judge it as that. Not as it's own game

yes, as when i was criticizing Arma in case of "ultimate military realism" , as now i look at "official sequel to OFP" which turned into "official fail"

so don't say "hey, it is other game, don't look through OFP on DR"

videos on youtube shows software (game) that is neither gameplay, nor look , simply shameful , shameful AI, weapons list and vehicles like custom made pack

maybe because of animations of reload/handling addonmaking (if such will ever exist in DR) will be not easy

so even if someone looks only at "look" of game, not technical military aspect, Arma 2 is much much better than DR

i even say, that from screens Arma 1 with explosion effects mod looks better

only thing defending it is a little FLIR , but rest looks from reviews like total fail,

someone even told that PLA and US soldiers look very similar (reskin only ?) we had such thing in A1 on some units

maybe CM made PLA as side of conflict thinking "China customers will buy it because of Chinese vehicles and army and weapons" ?

64 AI on map is total shame

poor wasted title "squirrel" not "sequel"

the way CM made DR is biggest gift for BIS ever

when 2 teams play match people may have good entertaiment

when one of team (who shout so much and so loud "we will win") ends with suicidal gol in first minute of match... people watching match are angry

Edited by vilas

He comes across as a reasonable sort of chap, and I've respect for anyone who can work with the files in their "raw" state. I remember when Fallout3 came out, before Bethesda released the GECK, there were some talented people picking apart the source files and creating tweaks, fixes etc.

I feel sorry in a way for people like Acog and TemplarGFX, because they clearly want to make the game work properly, and not some kind of dumbed-down "on rails" shooter.

Not that ArmaII doesn't have its issues in this regard, either, in case I'm coming across as a "fanboi" - I'm following fabrizio T's work on AI scripts on this game with interest, too.

Anyway, if Codies were to release a proper suite of mod tools, then there may be more to DR than there is now. Caveat, the operative words are "may be"...

It's like this..... to make a comparison.

Let's say Arma2 is like going to the moon. While doing a project of that magnitude, there are going to be flaws, learning, alteration of course, and the inevitable rework.

Now comes along a rival company that says, "Not only we going to the moon, we're going to build a moon base with a StarBucks."

They deliver a go cart, with no wheels, or steering wheel.

The guys that buy that go cart say, "It's not that bad, you don't need wheels to go to the moon, and the steering wheel will come later, you just have to pretend you're going to the moon...but look! You haven't gone to the moon either with a 90% operational rocket! You fail!"

You can put lipstick on a turd, but in the end, you still have the same Governor.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

I've just been watching the dev videos on YouTube, with Messrs Browne ("with an e") and the other dude. Interesting take on the lack of a demo, no mention of those pesky MIA server files, and yet more of the plain misleading stuff about "sandbox", "open world" and the rest.

And ho ho, during the quickfire question round at the end of the 3rd vid:

Q:"PC or console?"

Dev1:"Console"

Dev2: "Console"

Hmmm...

Funny really, all the things that AREN'T in the game are the things that made Flashpoint special (and continue to make their "true" successors work now). And yeah, Luhgnut, I'd take ArmaII over DR for the moonshot any day, at least I'd have confidence in the knowledge that by aiming my rocket at the moon, I'd be likely to hit it and not end up shooting off in the direction of Mars or something...

Incidentally, on the subject of shooting in DR - is it true your bullets travel "from the centre of the screen"? As opposed to "from the end of your rifle barrel"?

i played a bit of dragon rising this weekend. it wasn't quite as bad as the hype says and there are certainly things in it that BIS could learn from (seems only fair as dragonrising tried to take notes from BIS original book and got it mixed up)

their command ring is unwieldy. but the idea of more interactive context sensitive commands is good. as is the idea of more understandable commands in 3d and on the map . that's something BIS could learn from as the command structure we have right now is unweildy and non-intuitive (and i've been playing BIS games OFP, Arma and arma2 for over 5 years). BIS AI command menu needs a lot more work from BIS in making it intuitive and very useful and more interactive with the environment.

in mission 2, the gunship hunting you was similar to a part in red hammer and had a good immerisive feeling too.

the feeling of being in war is very strong at places. like the secure the beach mission (3rd mission). with the smoke and bombardments the feeling of being a importnat part of a mission was VERY good.

The FLIR is nice (not very authentic) but useful. BUt Arrowhead will have it so i am looking forward to that.

the landscape at middle distance ground looks better than arma2's. it pains me to say it. but after playing dragonrising and going back to chernassus i felt the middle distance ground look flat and washed out and quite boring.

also while DR is mostly shades of a colour and sometimes quite monechrome it does feel more 'visually integrated' rather than a collection of trees, bushes, etc plopped onto a surface.

i am all for arma2. the best game for me right now. but it is not perfect and learning from one's competition is the most efficient way to improve your own performance.

edit - and the animations of snapping the bolt back in place when reloading are nice. amra2 would benefit from this.

Edited by twisted

in mission 2, the gunship hunting you was similar to a part in red hammer and had a good immerisive feeling too.

Up until you can shoot out it's rotor.

edit - and the animations of snapping the bolt back in place when reloading are nice. amra2 would benefit from this.

No thanks, you only "snap the bolt back" when you shoot your magazine dry. Which in my case is not very often, unless surpressing something (remember the old - Always reload before going into action). In DR they "snap the bolt back" every time and in Arma never. I would take Arma´s way over DR´s cause a) more often you dont snap it b) it makes it easier to make weapon addons as you dont need a ton of faked hands animations. The only game i have played that had it correct was Rainbow SIX 3 (R.I.P. and shame on you UBI!)

[quote name=SwiftyBoy;1467520

Incidentally' date=' on the subject of shooting in DR - is it true your bullets travel "from the centre of the screen"? As opposed to "from the end of your rifle barrel"?[/quote]

I'm not sure if it's from the center of the screen or from your eyes. It's not from your barrel for sure. If you barrel is below say a wall, you don't shoot the wall. In the old Delta Force and Joint Operation games, you shot from your eyes, and they would make a muzzle flash on the model. It was a major cause of cheating cause you could run into a corner, turn a little and see through the wall, but nobody could see you. Since you could see out, you could glitch it and shoot 100% from behind cover, with no chance of anybody hitting you. They patched it later, but it was a serious problem.

;1467566']No thanks' date=' you only "snap the bolt back" when you shoot your magazine dry. Which in my case is not very often, unless surpressing something (remember the old - Always reload before going into action). In DR they "snap the bolt back" every time and in Arma never. I would take Arma´s way over DR´s cause a) more often you dont snap it b) it makes it easier to make weapon addons as you dont need a ton of faked hands animations. The only game i have played that had it correct was Rainbow SIX 3 (R.I.P. and shame on you UBI!)[/quote']

I complitely agree with you. I hate reload anims in DR. By the way, all the latest ubi games have them correct. For me personaly, graw has the best. Not very agressive. Simple, humain anims. In DR he looks like putting great deal of strenght into inserting mag and pulling the bolt. Too much.

I complitely agree with you. I hate reload anims in DR. By the way, all the latest ubi games have them correct. For me personaly, graw has the best. Not very agressive. Simple, humain anims. In DR he looks like putting great deal of strenght into inserting mag and pulling the bolt. Too much.

Exactly it kinda gives me the feel that every soldier dives his mags and rifle into a glue before going on a mission. Dunno about chinese but US Marines dont do that

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Luhgnut;1467625']I'm not sure if it's from the center of the screen or from your eyes. It's not from your barrel for sure. If you barrel is below say a wall' date=' you don't shoot the wall. In the old Delta Force and Joint Operation games, you shot from your eyes, and they would make a muzzle flash on the model. It was a major cause of cheating cause you could run into a corner, turn a little and see through the wall, but nobody could see you. Since you could see out, you could glitch it and shoot 100% from behind cover, with no chance of anybody hitting you. They patched it later, but it was a serious problem.[/quote']

I think that in DR it the usual shooting from camera. Except im not aware where this place exactly is in DR, as from the look of it you actually shoot ur bullets from a very naughty place. Also the bullets arent really created arma-like instead it uses some kind of half-functioning hit detection *sigh*

;1467729']

I think that in DR it the usual shooting from camera. Except im not aware where this place exactly is in DR' date=' as from the look of it you actually shoot ur bullets from a very naughty place. Also the bullets arent really created arma-like instead it uses some kind of half-functioning hit detection *sigh*[/quote']

Personally? I don't think you actually get "hit". I think it just rolls a random. I don't think there is a bullet entity. Least when they are shooting at you.

Finally finished the campaign and tried a little mission editing. I still like ArmA 2 much better btw although OFP:DR was fun. It reminds me of BF2 in many ways.

1.) I like the vehicle handling in OFP:DR better, but I don't like how you are locked in and can't turn your head like in ArmA2 by pressing ALT.

2.) No 3rd person view as a Marine which in a big :thumbsdown: for me.

3.) Ambient sounds are good. Weapon sounds and explosions are all good.

4.) No ability to Team Switch. :thumbsdown:

5.) I like the ragdoll effects.

That's all I have for now... It was fun, but now its back to ArmA2 for me. :wink_o:

Luhgnut;1467964']Personally? I don't think you actually get "hit". I think it just rolls a random. I don't think there is a bullet entity. Least when they are shooting at you.

If you can hide behind cover, it must project rays at the very least.

1.) I like the vehicle handling in OFP:DR better:

You serious? I guess you are the first to say that from all ppl who commented on the vehicle handling and physics....

Out of all the threads and many post created about how much DR sucked balls, and you still bought it? Thanks for letting CM think that people really love this game since you and a lot of others bought it without doing any real research. All you did was enable publishers/developer to churn out more crap.
Shame on me is right, I will next time. ;)

Honestly though, if they just fixed some of the generic textures, and ditched that over saturated orange, and green sky, we might be back in business. The island looks nice, and the editor looks kind of cool, similar to the Sudden Strike editor functionality, (Not that there was ANYTHING wrong with the editor from ArmA 1, and 2). One thing that drove me nuts about this new editor is the selection tools. I don't' know the shortcuts to move the screen with the hand tool, and it's a pain clicking on it and then back everytime you need to move the screen, or the objects. But that's all little stuff. These graphics really suck, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere. I'm running an EVGA GTX 280, there is no excuse for these low end graphics.

You're right Hans Ludwig, I screwed up this time. :depressed:

Edited by starstreams