Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

But since the BBB are unlikely to be BI fanboys, it proves a little something.

Are you insinuating that people have to be "fan boys" to enjoy the game or warrant any liking towards it?

Are you insinuating that people have to be "fan boys" to enjoy the game or warrant any liking towards it?

I think what he's saying is that there is external, third party validation that CM is trash.

Just cant get into this game, feels so meh.

Ohh well, back to ARMA2 and Risen (:

Luhgnut;1463429']The ONLY time the BBB did anything for me was when Ubisoft came out with Shadowbane (shudder). I complained to the BBB of SanFrancisco (where ubi is registered corporation) and they just logged the letters back and forth between me and UbiSoft. I was a pain in UbiSoft's ass. Finally' date=' they had to get it off the books as "Resolved Complaint" at which time UbiSoft gave me 3 free games of my choice. I accepted that, and it was closed. Got FarCry1 Free :)

But that took a year of back and forth letter writing.[/quote']

Right, and part of the reason for your success is the fact that Ubisoft are listed in several markets in the world. Scathing BBB reports can spell doom for your stock prices.

Well the multiplayer section of OFPDR has now been effectively destroyed. Sion Linton announced today that there are no plans for dedicated servers. This leaves the p2p disaster that we have had to endure thus far. MP for this game is now over, players will be leaving in their 1000's.

Dedicated servers you say?

I can assure you we have not been ignoring you, we have been dealing with issues on a priority basis and obviously the connection issues amongst other things have been top priority over the last 120 hours.

I hear the calls but cannot promise anything at this stage, its not under development right now. More news if that changes

Sion

But that makes no sense, multiplayer is what keeps many games alive to this day (along with modification of course) and you need dedicated servers for that..

Yep, but CM are more interested in raping the community for more money with their exciting range of DLC material (which will no doubt will be pushed with yet another selection of extremely stylized "artwork"..oh no sorry I mean "actual in-game screenshots") ...honestly their ethic and decisions around this development have been absolutley horrendous.

I was anticipating this game being a HUGE fan of ELITE on xbox original. I can say now after having played the entire campaign and the single missions that are included that this game is a piece of SHIT! I wil now list the reasons why!

1. First things first. There is NO "exploration" of Skira Island allowed which in my opinion is what "operation flashpoint" is all about (open world goodness). Whenever (on any map) you get about 2 or 3 miles away from the mission a voice says "warning, you are leaving the operation area return immediatley" then the mission abruptly ends and you FAIL! This goes against EVERYTHING I had imagined this game to be. I mean wasn't it CODEMASTERS themselves who said things like, 9 hOURS to WALK across the map, 25 minutes to fly, 2 hours to drive!?!? I guess we'll NEVER KNOW because you CAN'T!

2. Many of the pre-release videos showed helocopters in ABUNDANCE but there is only ONE PART of ONE mission where you get to actually fly a helicopter...BUT...you are told where to go which is only about 3 miles away. THATS IT!

3 AIRSTRIKES and MORTERS! You get to call in ONE..thats the number 1 my friends, airstrike in the ENTIRE CAMPAIGN! mortars I THINK 2 times! ...WOW... this game is just a PIECE.....

4. Finally (there are so many more issues but these are the big ones) When you look at the HUGE map of skira, it really is a good size map there are so many areas that you never even see in the game and you CANNOT access them because you can't leave the "operation area". This whole concept of creating a HUGE world only to set restrictions on the gamer makes you ask WHY did codemasters even BOTHER making the huge world in the first plase, If gamers want to be told where to go and where to shoot we can buy halo, or COD etc etc. Codemaster needs to apologize to the fans for mucking up the name that has become synonymous with open world military sim gamefare that is Operation flashpoint because they have completely ruined the name now for me forever, ArmA now HAS to come to the consoles to show the clowns at codemasters how it is DONE! - FISHEGG

Luhgnut;1463400']

Just stay tuned to Arma2 channel. Face it. This is THEIR income (with the exception of the Professional Military Sim - which is a separate division). They would be foolish to not develop it further. On the other hand CM is a one trick pony. They'll just go make another driving game.

This may be true but still, if it is true that I will have to pay even more for fixes then that is, pardon my language, bullshit and some damn poor business in my opinion. Features fine, that's what expansions do, but fixes? Hell no, that is NOT ok...

I understand they are "still working" on fixes simultaneously but am I really the only one who thinks a game should actually work right before a developer even considers an expansion?

@BBB "D" rating for Codemasters.

Our records indicate the company failed to respond to the one complaint the Bureau brought to its attention.
As if a rating based on a single means much. Just because it's on some organisation's website doesn't make it any more meaningful than a forum post.

All big companies have complaints where the customer was not satisfied with the outcome.

The game may be a joke as a successor to OFP, but it still seems to have been a success as far as consoles are concerned. Console gamers don't have much to choose from when it comes to tactical semi-realistic action games.

I understand they are "still working" on fixes simultaneously but am I really the only one who thinks a game should actually work right before a developer even considers an expansion?

The game does work. At least put a little effort into your arguments instead of spouting crap. Some bugs don't make it unplayable. Nobody said you would be paying for fixes, making up crap is no way to hold an argument.

DR has bugs too, like shooting up into the air if you step over certain objects.

And it's normal for a developer to work on more than one project at once. You expect them to tell all their artists and designers to get paid for doing nothing while the programmers fix some bugs?

Edited by Maddmatt

Man...

As a DR owner, on the PC, I'm really feeling like this was a money-grab...

The game does work. At least put a little effort into your arguments instead of spouting crap. Some bugs don't make it unplayable. Nobody said you would be paying for fixes, making up crap is no way to hold an argument.

DR has bugs too, like shooting up into the air if you step over certain objects.

And it's normal for a developer to work on more than one project at once. You expect them to tell all their artists and designers to get paid for doing nothing while the programmers fix some bugs?

No, the game does not work. I can't even do something as simple as buy my squad weapons, which is supposed to be a part of the game. And yes, somebody did suggest that I might be paying for fixes. Is it fact? I don't know. But maybe you should try reading into something before holding an argument and ripping on mine. The shooting into the air thing isn't that stupid, have you ever tried shooting at a target while stepping over something? I'm willing to be your sights wouldn't be level either. Maybe it's over-exaggerated, maybe we are seeing/talking about different things things, who knows.

Edited by GRS

The shooting into the air thing isn't that stupid, have you ever tried shooting at a target while stepping over something?

No, I meant the player launches about 10m into the air, and is killed upon landing back on the ground. When it comes to shooting accuracy, DR doesn't even have the scopes sway when you walk, so you can strafe while shooting at distant targets...

Patches for the game are still coming regardless of the expansion. You can even test them if you look at the beta section of the forum.

And sure that bug may be annoying, but the game still works.

Edited by Maddmatt

So no dedicated servers then. Not a surprise, CM's silence on the issue said it all. Can't really say "what a shame" as the game isn't any good in multiplayer anyway.

When you think about it, it's absolutely ridiculous how much more depth and freedom a game released in 2001 had compared to its "sequel". SerialKiller, killers killing civilians and cops chasing them all over the map was one of my favourite OFP missions and nothing even close to that is possible to do in DR's editor. 2x2km in PvP, 275m tether in coop and max 63 entities on the island plus all the other restrictions is laughably bad for a "huge open world game". Not to mention there is no automatic downloading of user created missions. This game's MP will be dead in no time.

No, I meant the player launches about 10m into the air, and is killed upon landing back on the ground. When it comes to shooting accuracy, DR doesn't even have the scopes sway when you walk, so you can strafe while shooting at distant targets...

Patches for the game are still coming regardless of the expansion. You can even test them if you look at the beta section of the forum.

And sure that bug may be annoying, but the game still works.

oooh ok yeah that was stupid, I will give you credit for that, my fault.

Don't get me wrong. I love ArmA2, I just hate it as well.

This may be true but still, if it is true that I will have to pay even more for fixes then that is, pardon my language, bullshit and some damn poor business in my opinion. Features fine, that's what expansions do, but fixes? Hell no, that is NOT ok...

uh.... since when did anybody mention anything about paying for fixes? uh, maybe as a means of helping along distribution, but they have been fixing it all along, and nobody has paid a dime for them other than internet fees.

And the expansion is way way off. Not sure where you're getting your information, but you're way, way off on those accusations. Almost sounds "he's making it up as he goes along" type of thing. Find a single post where BIS states they will charge you for fixes.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

No, the game does not work. I can't even do something as simple as buy my squad weapons, which is supposed to be a part of the game. And yes, somebody did suggest that I might be paying for fixes. Is it fact? I don't know. But maybe you should try reading into something before holding an argument and ripping on mine. The shooting into the air thing isn't that stupid, have you ever tried shooting at a target while stepping over something? I'm willing to be your sights wouldn't be level either. Maybe it's over-exaggerated, maybe we are seeing/talking about different things things, who knows.

Ok... this is silly. Take a rifle out of the closet. Walk outside and aim at a tree. Now without looking walk over toward a 2 foot fence. Just look down your scope, or Ironsight.... still don't look where the fence is but step over it. Now add the complexity of being shot at from several directions. Damn near impossible.

Or, step over the fence while trying to hit a man sized target at 100 yards. You won't do it.

I can't believe I had to explain that.

And about buying a squad weapons..... I do it all the time in Warfare. man, I'm confused on this... anybody explain what the big game breaking problems are here?

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

So no dedicated servers then. Not a surprise, CM's silence on the issue said it all. Can't really say "what a shame" as the game isn't any good in multiplayer anyway.

This game's MP will be dead in no time.

The cheaters are wall hacking already. They also have bright orange skins for the enemy. It's dead already. Then I was sent a post where they have improved the the lobby lag, but they have found it's because the majority of the people trying to play MP have already given up even trying, which lightens the load on the servers/bandwidth. Of course the performance will increase. I've heard the lag is so bad in multiplayer, that you can't even switch weapons.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1463565']

Ok... this is silly. Take a rifle out of the closet. Walk outside and aim at a tree. Now without looking walk over toward a 2 foot fence. Just look down your scope' date=' or Ironsight.... still don't look where the fence is but step over it. Now add the complexity of being shot at from several directions. Damn near impossible.

Or, step over the fence while trying to hit a man sized target at 100 yards. You won't do it.

I can't believe I had to explain that.

[/quote']

That is exactly what I was saying... jeez...

As for buying weapons, I have never been able to buy my squad weapons in campaign, which is all I play cause I hate 99% of MP games.

What GRS is talking about is that the expansion was announced before fully fixing Arma 2. That's what he means by "paying for fixes" (lost in translation)

GRS, BIS mentioned when they announced the expansion that they will continue patching and working on Arma 2, and that the expansion is being worked on by another sector (game development sector).

Basically the guys that develop the game have nothing to do so they're making an expansion. Remember that these guys are the development team, not the analysis/debug team. In other words while the expansion is being worked on you have another sector that's got nothing to do but fix Arma 2.

One last thing... remember that this is a thread about Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising. Let's try to keep it at least semi-on the topic of Dragon Rising.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Back on topic, couple of things I wanted to point out that I found funny. Was looking through local reviews and such and one local magazine (Atomic) has a review saying how bug free it is and how the AI carry out complex tactics like setting up ambush's and such. Funny part is that also keep mentioning that they only recieved a small preview code and my guess is that the situations with the smart AI setting ambush's and such was actually a scripted sequence setup by CM.

Another funny thing was another local magazine (PC Power Play Australia). The new issue that came out today has a new add for Dragon Rising showing full detail drawn for at least 20km (as oppose to the 2km detail draw in game) and points out things. One part has it pointing to a tree line about 13km away from the player saying "watch out for detailed cover the enemy may be hiding behind".

The other odd point about it is that the same magazine (PCPP Aus) refuses to review Dragon Rising until at least one patch comes out.

Ok, that's good to know thanks for clearing it up.

The cheaters are wall hacking already. They also have bright orange skins for the enemy. It's dead already. Then I was sent a post where they have improved the the lobby lag' date=' but they have found it's because the majority of the people trying to play MP have already given up even trying, which lightens the load on the servers/bandwidth. Of course the performance will increase. I've heard the lag is so bad in multiplayer, that you can't even switch weapons.[/quote']

The Steam stats does prove your claim about less players.

10/15/2009

nyh995.png

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

10/12/2009

There were was 1,412 current players on at 6 p.m. Central US time.

A customer at Steam got an actual refund when he made a good case that the DR clearly misleads you into thinking there is the ability to host dedicated servers. There is much more to read.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988621

Edited by Hans Ludwig

I was anticipating this game being a HUGE fan of ELITE on xbox original. I can say now after having played the entire campaign and the single missions that are included that this game is a piece of SHIT! I wil now list the reasons why!

1. First things first. There is NO "exploration" of Skira Island allowed which in my opinion is what "operation flashpoint" is all about (open world goodness). Whenever (on any map) you get about 2 or 3 miles away from the mission a voice says "warning, you are leaving the operation area return immediatley" then the mission abruptly ends and you FAIL! This goes against EVERYTHING I had imagined this game to be. I mean wasn't it CODEMASTERS themselves who said things like, 9 hOURS to WALK across the map, 25 minutes to fly, 2 hours to drive!?!? I guess we'll NEVER KNOW because you CAN'T!

2. Many of the pre-release videos showed helocopters in ABUNDANCE but there is only ONE PART of ONE mission where you get to actually fly a helicopter...BUT...you are told where to go which is only about 3 miles away. THATS IT!

3 AIRSTRIKES and MORTERS! You get to call in ONE..thats the number 1 my friends, airstrike in the ENTIRE CAMPAIGN! mortars I THINK 2 times! ...WOW... this game is just a PIECE.....

4. Finally (there are so many more issues but these are the big ones) When you look at the HUGE map of skira, it really is a good size map there are so many areas that you never even see in the game and you CANNOT access them because you can't leave the "operation area". This whole concept of creating a HUGE world only to set restrictions on the gamer makes you ask WHY did codemasters even BOTHER making the huge world in the first plase, If gamers want to be told where to go and where to shoot we can buy halo, or COD etc etc. Codemaster needs to apologize to the fans for mucking up the name that has become synonymous with open world military sim gamefare that is Operation flashpoint because they have completely ruined the name now for me forever, ArmA now HAS to come to the consoles to show the clowns at codemasters how it is DONE! - FISHEGG

1. Yeah I agree, it's a major fault of the engine. You can always add up the times starting from different locations if you really want to check.

2. And in Arma2 campaign there were, oh wait, zero. Unless you bought a chopper in Dogs of War. The 3 mile limitation... See above. You can't design a mission that defyes the engine limitations.

3. Other than the copperheads in one of the first missions, in Arma2 campaign I got... One artillery strike...

4. You can access all areas of the map. Just not in the same mission. The island of Skira I find very very good with its small natural/terrain covers being well laid out. These seem to be non existant in Chernarus, from what I can crasp due to a smaller resolution DEM file. Which is best? I find Chernarus more beautiful the way the engine renders it, but Skira seems to better support for closer ranged firefights.

So the points you bring out to put OFDR in a bad light, actually puts Arma2 in a bad light as well :) I much prefer Arma2 though, yet many of the "stupid OFDR" videos could have been made with the first german version of Arma2 which pretty much stunk!

I bet OFDR will address many bugs in future patches, but it seems to be the tethering and hardcoded entity limit will be tough ones to beat.

Codemaster needs to apologize to the fans for mucking up the name that has become synonymous with open world military sim gamefare that is Operation flashpoint because they have completely ruined the name now for me forever, ArmA now HAS to come to the consoles to show the clowns at codemasters how it is DONE! - FISHEGG

In mil-sim it's reasonable to assume that you don't go wandering. Quess why? Because then you become deserter and militaries usually dislikes them and in good ol' times hanged and shot "wanderers" :)

Maddmatt:

Main problem is with ArmA2's campaign. When reviewers seems to say that they had to use cheats to finish several missions as some trigger or script broke. Well it's unplayable to most (not for those who uses mostly editor or MP).

I don't know does engine itself have bugs, i don't think so, atleast demo seems polished enough on that side.

CarlGustaffa:

So the points you bring out to put OFDR in a bad light, actually puts Arma2 in a bad light as well :) I much prefer Arma2 though, yet many of the "stupid OFDR" videos could have been made with the first german version of Arma2 which pretty much stunk!

Yeah. This is true. Dunno about ArmA2, but ArmA had it's wave of videos putting AI totally down. Remember that video where enemy stood behind building and AI after AI ran into his fire sector along previous AI's footsteps and got killed almost into same spot as previous? Well AI wasn't very skillful in the first place but yet that downgrading wave was pretty dirty. Many times it seemed that AI doesn't do anything more than just runs or crawls.

Edited by Second

Originally Posted by A fishegg

it seems you didn't play OFP 1 too much. do you remember those official missions that failed because you reached the limits of the battlefield ? , how was the message...ah yes, you lost in enemy territory , mission failed and end of mission. One example of this type: Sp mission Battlefields.

if the exploration is restricted in DR campaign is not game bug, is a campaign design decission.you can make your own missions and explore all territory you want.Btw in my opinion DR campaign is by far better than Arma 1 campaign, no color.

Edited by william1

It seems the PC multiplay for Dragon will now slowly ( or no so slowly as the case may be ) die. Sion Lenton ( the exec producer of the game ) announced last night that there are NO Dedicated servers in development.

The current state of online play is terrible with bad hit registration ( I can empty a pistol into someones chest at point blank range and it has no effect whatsoever ) and will now remain that way.

Codemasters have just shafted the entire OPF2 ( sic ) Mil Sim community in one fell swoop. Online DR will now die on the PC.

Roll on Arrowhead.