Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

uS-K5ujAzAM

Has anyone actually been able to get past this mission? I've played it 3 times through now and it still won't end. That damned helicopter keeps circling. No matter what I do.

the only ever game that done reload animation for guns right are Rainbow six:3 onwards, and pulling the charging handle after dry reloading isnt all that wrong too, it is prefreable in most case

@Zipper5

I wouldnt be so bothered about the never ending mission as I would be laught to death or get a stroke when I see how the chopper fly

Edited by 4 IN 1

I've played it a bit, and my first impressions were good, but then within the first 5 minutes of playing, i walked up to a tree for cover, flew up and hit the ground making a nasty sound. The game is alright in SP, i haven't gotten the chance to play Co-Op with anyone yet, i've heard that it's good, but other parts of it, for example the mission editor is no good, at least as far as i can see. The game is a bit arcade for me, as with BF2, so i prefer ArmA/ArmA 2 to this. Also, at first i was hearing from people that the graphics were "awesome" and "groundbreaking" and i was in for a big disappointment, as they aren't comparable to any of the newest games in my opinion. It seems this game has been rushed to the PC and perhaps it would have been best if it had just stayed console.

One thing that's for sure is that i'll be buying OA, but nothing more from codemasters.

Yes, they have better physics with vehicles

I've yet to see any evidence of that. All I see are the sort of bugs that were in OFP 1 v1.00 (tanks sliding down hills anyone?) magnified 100 fold by the crappy implementation of havok.

DR has by far better graphics than Arma 2 for a military simulator, that's unquestionable, you just have to take a look at the performance difference between one game and the other

Yes, because not rendering anything beyond 1300m (I checked, doubled checked and checked again) is really what I'm looking for in a simulator. At least ArmA2 renders to 1900m out of the box, and can be pushed beyond that. And if you want to talk "real" simulators, VBS2 can render objects out to 10,000m.

Crappy graphics + high fps != simulator.

By that logic, BF2 is one of the best military simulators available.

On a different note, I've had dragon rising installed since last friday. I've poked around in the editor for about an hour. But have I been bothered to play the campaign? No. I just cant bring myself to do it. Theres no reason to, nothing pulling me in. You're generic marine #3523423 sent out to fight someone elses (russias... awesome storyline) war against some generic enemy. Oooh you might say, but its China. Yeah, well China were in BF2 too, so its not exactly new. Meh. Thats all I can think when I think about dr. Meh.

Says a lot I think...

the problem of the storyline is that, there isnt a storyline at all, you just keep fighting and fighting and fighting and then all the suddent you "win", yeah, good story my ass

the problem of the storyline is that, there isnt a storyline at all, you just keep fighting and fighting and fighting and then all the suddent you "win", yeah, good story my ass

Not to forget the way the campaign begins.

Intro: short animated backstory.

*plonk*

You are on Skira now, here are some objectives. k thx bai

DR has by far better graphics than Arma 2 for a military simulator, that's unquestionable, you just have to take a look at the performance difference between one game and the other

FPS is better because it looks worse. Why do people think overuse of HDR, blocky models and low res textures look better than ArmA 2?

The only thing in DR that looks better are the reloading animations.

I wouldn't say he's telling people not to waste their money on DR but telling others what games they have to play.

@That guy

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5504/drunits.jpg

A quick and dirty copy&paste job cause I can't stay longer than 2 minutes in that weird brownish world. :)

These here are the actual textures, for anyone still wondering what camo they use.

Sadly it seems their post effects can't be as easily removed as in Grid. But even if possible that might bring other problems, in Dirt the wood sections in England were too dark and in GRAW the NVG didn't work when you removed the color filters.

do you have eyes ?? lol

both games run perfectly smooth for me except one doesn't look that great and isn't a miltary sim ...

one thing i do like tho is the AI contact reports

Edited by wheres my rabbit ?

do you have eyes ?? lol

both games run perfectly smooth for me except one doesn't look that great and isn't a miltary sim ...

Thats not wright, let me fix it.

both games run perfectly smooth for me except one doesn't look that great and neither game is a military sim ...

I've yet to see any evidence of that. All I see are the sort of bugs that were in OFP 1 v1.00 (tanks sliding down hills anyone?) magnified 100 fold by the crappy implementation of havok.

For example. The game simulate mass better than ArmA. In ArmA you switch to the gunner position while in flank speed and that thing seems to have an automatic brake or an anchor it throws out. The tank almost stops instantly. Even the LAV in OFP DR has quite a braking distance from 60kph.

The best example for non existing vehicle mass is BF2 where you can evade infantry guided missiles by moving either forward or backwards in a tank from zero speed. I didn't see any evidence of sliding tanks, must have been a really steep hill you are talking about. You must have forgotten to engage the parking brakes :D

I have yet to see the evidence of steering in DR. Every time I crossed 15 KPH the Chinese jeep started behaving like a ferry.

Same applies for the brakes - the brake discs are probably made out of Swiss cheese.

...but tanks can do stop nearly instantly..thats why they are so dangerous in cilvil traffic conditions.

For example. The game simulate mass better than ArmA. In ArmA you switch to the gunner position while in flank speed and that thing seems to have an automatic brake or an anchor it throws out. The tank almost stops instantly. Even the LAV in OFP DR has quite a braking distance from 60kph.

"Although we didn't do instrumented testing, a rough estimate of the stopping distance from 45 mph is zero feet. It feels like falling headfirst into a sinkhole."

Source

At least get your facts right before trying to bash ArmA2. ;)

both games run perfectly smooth for me except one doesn't look that great and neither game is a military sim ...

well yer your right they are both just games but at least arma can sort of make that claim without getting instantly laughed out of the room

You guys ever think that OFP2: DR is the best thing to happen to ArmA 2? It's gotta be pushing fence sitters who were waiting to see which is better to ArmA 2. I hadn't bought it because I was waiting. After buying OFP: DR, now I want ArmA 2.

Seen a lot of that around lately.

Basically a lot of people are saying "Wait, this isn't like Flashpoint, I think I'll try Arma now", of course that's always followed up by the regular "No, don't play that, it's not realistic and has 80's grafix and ... umm... it eats babies"

Than what is? Tis easy to stand on the side and be a naysayer but in the context of gaming = simulation I would say that it is even if by default. Is VBS2 a sim? I'm sure I could pick it to pieces if given the oppurtunity and find aspects that most certainly are not simulated. There are mil-flight sims and mili-chopper sims but does that constitue full military simulation?

Really is a matter of semantics and context and in the given context I would say Arma2 is a mil-sim, all encompassing? no. Milsim? yes.

"Although we didn't do instrumented testing, a rough estimate of the stopping distance from 45 mph is zero feet. It feels like falling headfirst into a sinkhole."

Source

At least get your facts right before trying to bash ArmA2. ;)

Yeah - I have never driven a tank, but I've seen Leopard 2A2's drive and they do indeed stop pretty instantly. I am not sure if the same would apply to wheeled vehicles like the LAV-25, but I am quite certain they have some nifty break and suspension systems that would allow them to crashstop pretty well.

Very true. When I turn down the level of details in ARMA 2 to very low, the game looks crap but doesn't give me enough of a performance boost. DR on the other hand doesn't look great even on highest settings but it runs very, very well and for the most part IMO looks good enough.

I can't speak for everyone obviously but I'd think that "mil sim" crowd would be more into realistic gameplay and features rather than newest and best looking graphics. OFP was never the best looking game around and it's still being played, 8 years after release. Then again, looking at this thread and the amount of people complaining about the graphics in DR, I may be wrong. Personally, I'd rather have simpler graphics that look OK and have no FPS issues but as you said you can't please everyone.

Yeah. I remember one post from ArmA disappointment thread saying that most read and posted threads were picture and video thread... Says something to me, not to everyone for sure. Interesting to see in deed how interested todays "mil simmers" are about outlooks of game. Yeah i used " and ".

I ordered OF:DR, interesting to see how it turns out. I personally prefer still game's which have same age as OFP has, Vietcong (quick battles only as campaign doesn't work on Vista it seems), OFP, Thief, Morrowind etc. I mean those games and that time had some how most of things closely 100% set.

I'm probably stuck into that era for rest of my life, however i try to break the cycle. COD4 managed to do something right, Brothers in Arms as well, Medal Of Honor (Pre-Pacific assault i called it yet Medal Of Humor, not anymore). All have potential but all fail to some degree. I don't think that OF:DR is going to be any better, but hopefully it has those few things set to impress me.

Overall this mil-sim-mastur?ation is starting to get, once again, out of hands. I recommend people to take some sort pills which eases mental stress, or call you kinder garden, school or even job that you won't make it tomorrow. Alcoholism is rather good short term solution, but it can get out of hand. Okay here it comes: COD4 would be considerable option as tool to train infantry soldiers to perform basic drills and stuff, IF producer it would include support and instructor tools. [starts to listen distant howling] Medal Of Honor: Airborne has too complicated controls.

Someone on the CM forums claims he filed a complaint against them for false advertising. Not like anything will happen but it's kind of funny, especially since they banned him. Maybe they can't deal with the truth? The list of complaints is on page 4:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388092

Edited by randir14

I didn't see any evidence of sliding tanks

I guess you also didnt see the flying, spinning, flipping or other general shitness of the dr physics engine then?

Yeah - I have never driven a tank, but I've seen Leopard 2A2's drive and they do indeed stop pretty instantly. I am not sure if the same would apply to wheeled vehicles like the LAV-25, but I am quite certain they have some nifty break and suspension systems that would allow them to crashstop pretty well.

My boss was Special Forces in the Army for 17 years and has ridden on them numerous times. He says they do stop instantly. The suspension system is pretty amazing.

I just switched off v-synch in DR as a test to see if the FPS increased any more.

Just to recap, i get around 27fps in Arma2 in the campaign,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Sticky/Stuff%20for%20forums/160.jpg

Damnnn!!!

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

FPS is better because it looks worse. Why do people think overuse of HDR, blocky models and low res textures look better than ArmA 2?

The only thing in DR that looks better are the reloading animations.

I prefer the trees and such, because they don't do that silly texture swap thing that makes them kind of "throb" when you zoom in, the effect in Arma2 is terrible IMO

Edited by S-M
because he could not be arsed to delete the IMG tags