Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

And then stopped playing after about five minutes. My first impression: Everything about this game just feels wrong.

I was going to make a large post with all of my impressions but it looks like you did it for me.

Great observations. Many of the same things were deal-breakers for me.

Luhgnut;1461192']My brother in law and I made a video last night of OFP/DR.

Displaying the true abilities of OFP/DR.

Enjoy

The first segment of that video is so true it's just not funny. I often find myself standing in the middle of an open field, just letting the bullets whiz by me as I take accurate pot shots. Not having any cover just helps you out, since you can use the Chinese tracers to locate their position. And if you're hit, just hide behind a tree and let the medic patch you up. No harm done, not even a head shot will kill you.

Tactics my arse. So far I haven't used my fireteam for anything more constructive than using them as a Mobile Hospital. All this talk from CM that you had to think in order to make it is just rubbish.

Also, it takes an average of 3-4 bullets to incapacitate an enemy. What the hell is that all about?

Hi All!

This weekend I have played OPFP DR for PS3 so I'd like to share some observations with you, especially those of you who have been waiting for DR as a kind of remedy for frustrations caused by all the bugs in previous versions of Arma 2. First I'd like to stress that I am in no way connected with BIS. Although I like Arma 2 very much (especially v 1.04) I was open minded as it comes to OPFP DR.

I own both PC and PS3 but decided to buy PS3 version of DR to see how the console port of what is supposed to be a complex game would work. So here it goes:

General gameplay.

Alas, DR is not a complex game. It feels like a cross of Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Band of Brothers. However, it fails to deliver the epic cinematic experience of Modern Warfare and is nowhere near as fun. Some of the missions are badly conceived and your orders border on lunacy. There is no freedom of execution, unless you want to die a thousand deaths. So you are left with no choice but to follow fairly linear waypoints that pop up on their own. Campaign so far is tedious.

I am in day 5 of the campaign and have yet to see any action other than infantry support/spec ops type operations.

Also, you have no freedom to choose your equipment at the beginning of the mission. The weapons are assigned in random fashion. For instance, as a specop who is a part of the team constantly in country, in one mission you have SCAR-L and then in the next you are given SCAR-H with thermals. As the same Marine seargeant, in one mission you sport an M4 with ACOG optics and in one other you end up with an M-16 with ironsights. I don't think it works that way in real life. I fondly remember Ghost Recon AW where you could select whatever you wanted, from guns to optics, grips, GLs and whatnot. This criticism also applies to Arma2. So game designers take note...let us fight with what we want (if I were in USMC, if not issued with I would buy my own forward rifle grip because I just find shooting with it much easier.)

Graphics and sound

Voiceacting is poor considering the production levels. For instance, the HQ sounds sounds like a gay call center operator.

Graphics is a major disappointment. Textures are too simple, terrain seems a weird combination of Hawaii and New Zealand. It's completely devoid of life and leaves you with a feeling you have invaded an alien planet. In contrast, Chernarus is spot on Eastern European theatre in which you can feel October in the air, and most importantly, the time of day has major impact on operations. In DR you don't even need NV at night!!!! In Arma2 it's adios amigos if you don't have goggles after 7pm. And try shooting with the sun in your face! Impossible!

On the positive side, in DR weapons sound and look great.

Physics

OMG, where to begin? First thing you notice is the way your weapon sways as you walk. It's ridiculous, it's as though you are some nancy boy wearing high heels. Engagements are usually at 100-200m, to kill something beyond that is impossible. The prone enemy moves around as though sailing on the water surface.

Overall, it reminded me of Delta Force for PC. I loved that game but it was released in what, 1999?

The only upside is that the Humwee "feels right", similar to vehicles in Far Cry. Now, I have never driven a Humwee in real life but this is better fun than in Arma2.

Conclusion

DR cannot be considered a competitor to Arma2. It is in effect "a game", something you pick up at a store, pop in the PS3, grab the controller and off you go. So it's a dissapointment really. Whereas it borrows heavily from other media (notice that overall commander's call sign is "Capone", just as "Godfather" was in Generation Kill), it fails to give a nod to other succesful war movies like Modern Warfare succeeds with Black Hawk Down.

Edited by Ferrando

Enjoy

Sometimes words are not needed. Argument useless. Video shows it all. :D

Although I have to admit the graphics looks better on that video then on mu computer. Still zero immersion though, particular how the soldiers are looking.

@sk3pt : you nailed it ! DR looks like Sahrani loaded in Arma 2, except with slightly lower object density + more post process !

Arma 1 is from 2006, trees are destructible and you don't have 63 entity limit though...

Note : I love how "ofp : DR" turns into a smiley on this forum when you write it... as if it was some sort of joke. How ironic. OFP:DR

Edited by EricM

Sometimes words are not needed. Argument useless. Video shows it all. :D

Although I have to admit the graphics looks better on that video then on mu computer. Still zero immersion though, particular how the soldiers are looking.

I have a big ass monitor and compressed the graphics down. When you go from a large size picture and reduce the size, it compresses the picture to make it look tighter. Believe me, looks better compressed than it does full scale.

Luhgnut;1461298']I have a big ass monitor and compressed the graphics down. When you go from a large size picture and reduce the size' date=' it compresses the picture to make it look tighter. Believe me, looks better compressed than it does full scale.[/quote']

That's not possible on a LCD monitor?

Can anyone give me a heads up of any good video recording software that works with DR, since Fraps doesn't? I tried ZD Soft but I don't find it's quality options to be good enough. Really want to make that comparison video.

You could try gamecam, I use it often.

Not sure whether it works with DR tho.

Monk.

That's not possible on a LCD monitor?

no no. When you publish through Win7 Movie Maker, it takes the large size that you captured and renders it down to fit on YouTube. I should have clarified. It has to render it smaller. That's where the compression comes from. What I like in Windows Live Movie Maker with Windows 7, you click a button for publishing on YouTube and it does everything automagically. Very nice feature.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

The first segment of that video is so true it's just not funny. I often find myself standing in the middle of an open field, just letting the bullets whiz by me as I take accurate pot shots. Not having any cover just helps you out, since you can use the Chinese tracers to locate their position. And if you're hit, just hide behind a tree and let the medic patch you up. No harm done, not even a head shot will kill you.

Tactics my arse. So far I haven't used my fireteam for anything more constructive than using them as a Mobile Hospital. All this talk from CM that you had to think in order to make it is just rubbish.

Also, it takes an average of 3-4 bullets to incapacitate an enemy. What the hell is that all about?

i can't under either why in the reviews i've read they are raving about how great the game is and how "scary" some situations are and how you will not last long if you don't be sneaky and use good tactics... who writes these reviews ? codemasters ? then do they own the review sites or something lol ???

you can expect people on these forums being bias in their opinions of the game... i was always gonna give it the benefit of doubt anfd give it a try

but most of the review sites i'm wondering if they have even loaded the fucking game up to review it ...or have they just read the manual and some codemaster's bullshit ad wrote their review thinking "that's it job done, that was easy , the boss will never know"

I own both PC and PS3 but decided to buy PS3 version of DR to see how the console port of what is supposed to be a complex game would work.

It's clear that it was developed for console and then ported to PC not the other way around!

Why did you make that video? I mean, who are you trying to convince?

Our community should know the crude reality behind such false title. I really appreciate your waste of time, but if our community needs evidence that OP Dragon Rising sucks, we're in serious trouble then.

By the way, this is the first video I've ever seen about OP DR.

I hope you understand what I mean. Oh, to all the people that bought this game... SHAME ON YOU!

Oh, to all the people that bought this game... SHAME ON YOU!

Wrong, shame to those who bought it not waiting for a demo or some trusted opinions and then blame the game and the developers. Shame to those, that even knowing how the game was going to be, bought it and then protest not being what they want. These people are the ones to blame for awarding the CM "cheating adv campaign".

I'm sure that many other people like the game, of course if you don't compare it to OFP series since to me they are different games.

Why did you make that video?

Because it's funny to see how much Dragon Rising fail after all their "ultra realistic" hype :p

I was going to make a large post with all of my impressions but it looks like you did it for me.

Great observations. Many of the same things were deal-breakers for me.

No doubt. I will leave my impressions off the board since they've been addressed. It's not a bad game at all, it just doesn't hold weight to A2 as a mil-sim. I'll still play it though but obviously A2 is much more enjoyable for me.

Lastly, the reviewer at bit-tech.net summed it well:

At the end of the day, if the question is whether Codemasters can replicate the success of the original Operation Flashpoint without the help of Bohemia Interactive Studios then the answer is simple. No.

I just want to say thanks BIS. All the problems with the release aside, A2 is a gem and you guys are the master of the mil-sim universe! Thanks for the great game and good lookin' out for all us die hard mil-sim fans. The genre just wouldn't get by and even exist with out you.

Because it's funny to see how much Dragon Rising fail after all their "ultra realistic" hype :p

All the "ultra realistic" crap wasn't made for you. It was made for all the brainless people that belong to a different platform.

All the "ultra realistic" crap wasn't made for you. It was made for all the brainless people that belong to a different platform.

So all their advertising was for console only :eek:

Give me a break, CM was clever and made people believe it was something it so not was and they NEVER said otherwise!

Enjoy

you made a video "testing" realism, but with Hardcore off? Thats not fair.

ARMA AI isn't very effective either if you set AI skill to a low number.

Edited by sparks50

Why not?

Hardcore is nothing more but a HUD and checkpoint toggle.

So all their advertising was for console only :eek:

Give me a break, CM was clever and made people believe it was something it so not was and they NEVER said otherwise!

Obviously, yes... May I suggest something?

Take a look around at Youtube. You'll see plenty of people reviewing this game beyond reasonable limits. You'll also see that most of these people are playing with their Xbox 360 & Playstation 3.

So in a certain way, the company has achieved what they wanted.

"Hardcore" doesn't affect AI AFAIK

The DR AI are just crap tbh. That's the difference. Sure, A2's AI is dumb when it is set to low, not that this should come as a surprise (common sense), but they are lethal when they are set to high.

This isn't the case with Dumptruck rising.

DR is a very average console shooter. It doesn't even stand up to the original OFP let alone A2.