Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I have been making some video's of interesting OPF-DR stuff, was messing about with the tanks and was able to do this :)

what is the name of the band? i like this kind of music

Edited by W0lle
quoted video

more people play bf2!

True, but thats because milsim is a niche not just another mainstream fps shooter which any teenager can learn to play with very little effort, ArmA 2 takes time and patience to learn.

well, i don't know why you guys keep comparing OFP DR with Arma 2 , it should be compared with Arma 1 since DR is the "secuel" of OFP and Arma 2 is the secuel of Arma 1, two games ahead.

Yes that's fair point. Really ARMA2 has been in development for over 5 years.

DR is built on top of a racing engine. Doesn't matter the games are arcades, the physics are still there.

Therefore, in all of the areas I expected Codemasters not to mess up, driving was very high up on the list.

Its built on the Havok physics engine, which is pretty well respected.

I prefer the title "Ghost Recon : Dragon Rising"

Good point :D

space

As said in my warning, this thread is about DR and not about how dead ArmA2 is (not).

And your xfire argument fails as much as DR, not everyone who plays ArmA2 is using xfire. It's anything but representative.

Fair enough, but I was only responding to something that another member had said, so I hope he received a warning too. Plus I quoted the server stats and x-fire stats. Less than 350 players at prime time on a weekend evening would be considered a dead game by many, but if you see it differently then thats fine.

and how many people are playing MP for OFP-DR right this moment?

thats right, PS3/Xbox360 and PC a big fat zero....

why because OFP-DR is a P2P MP and the one and only master server died 2 1/2 hours ago, hence why I'm making lots of movies of OFP-DR

@ Dante music is Delerium Feat. Sarah McLachlan - Silence Ministry of Sound - Chilled

Its built on the Havok physics engine, which is pretty well respected.

Well respected or not, their implementation of it leaves a LOT to be desired.

Well respected or not, their implementation of it leaves a LOT to be desired.

I have the feeling the only usage it's got are the ragdoll effects.

Just finishing up my second movie, features a helicopter and fast attack vehicle and a few bits.

I have the feeling the only usage it's got are the ragdoll effects.

No the vehicles use it as well - it was mentioned in one of the videos where they were talking about the helis having ground effect. Anyway I agree the vehicle physics need some serious work.

The good news is that the games files encrytion has now been broken, so hopefully some serious modding can be done :)

It took me a total of 8 bullets with my SCAR to destroy the helicopter's rotor and cause it to crash and explode. EIGHT bullets...

Is that a consistent result? I have been taken down by a two second machine gun burst before.

Edited by W0lle
quoted images

what is the name of the band? i like this kind of music

Im not sure who the remix is by, but the original is "Delirium - Silence" a club classic from about 2001

Plus I quoted the server stats and x-fire stats. Less than 350 players at prime time on a weekend evening would be considered a dead game by many, but if you see it differently then thats fine.

I don’t know what you call "primetime" but it's sure not 6 or whatever in the morning when you looked that up.

Anyway, there are about 1000 players and 650 servers online right now. And there are usually more than 1500 players online on the so called "primetimes".

http://arma2.swec.se/server/list

Why would any of your actually buy DR?

If you're here in an Arma forum, you clearly are a) into mil-sims and b) have a computer.

You KNEW this was a console port, and you STILL GAVE THEM THE MONEY??

Couldn't even wait for the demo, could ya? Or even just watch a livecast of the gameplay footage on day-of-release? Or read the post-release reviews? You bought this game blind on day-one, even after all the warning signs?

Some of you even PRE-ORDERED it, KNOWING that the name had been taken by a group who had nothing to do with the original? You bought it because it had the name "OFP" in the title??

What were you thinking?

I'm very disappointed in you, young man. Now go to your room and think about what you have done.

Edited by 1longtime

Why would any of your actually buy DR?

If you're here in an Arma forum, you clearly are a) into mil-sims and b) have a computer.

You KNEW this was a console port, and you STILL GAVE THEM the money??

I bought it because I liked Star Wars AND Star Trek

I bought it because I liked Star Wars AND Star Trek

Ah Bulldogs, I can't stay mad at you... come here you little rascal...

What i don't understand is why are we comparing these 2 games? Arma is simulating a virtual battlefield whereas Dragon Rising is more of a tactical shooter. Arma does a good job at that, regardless of the bugs. Arma WILL NOT appeal to typical battlefield/COD players.

The current trend of simplifying games is a threat to my hobby, as i see sometime in the future BIS themselves will eventually stop developing for the hardcore gamers and start catering to the mainstream. BIS & DCS are the last companies, that i know of, that are still hardcore and i definitely wouldn't want to lose them.

Arma WILL NOT appeal to typical battlefield/COD players.

I'm a typical bf/cod player and it appeals to me.

and the next is up... sorry used the same song, really like it at the moment :)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBXZsvmNds&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBXZsvmNds&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

mainly because of the name "operation flashpoint", and the fact that the way CM sell their games, and the fact that some people still thinks that CM didnt screwed the thing up, thats about it

What i don't understand is why are we comparing these 2 games? Arma is simulating a virtual battlefield whereas Dragon Rising is more of a tactical shooter.

Is this true? When I think of tactical shooters I think of the original R6 or Swat4 where I could pre-plan my assault according to many factors, station my men at the exact spot I wanted and have them target before they fire. Arma2 also has tactical shooter elements as one of my favorite types of quick missions to build are infiltration missions, in which I send my squaddies to exact locations with hold/fire and target commands in tow until I give the Go order.

From what I'm hearing you cannot tell your squaddies where to look or who to target in DR.

That's weird. Normally the discussions on YouTube are pleasant and educated, the commenters unrivalled in eloquence and rhetorical skill...

LMAO

And I find it rather a quaint and relaxing past time that I often enjoy to Bach, a cup of tea and some fresh cucumber sandwhiches. It's a place of wonderous grammar :p

From what I'm hearing you cannot tell your squaddies where to look or who to target in DR.

You can assign anyone on your team a specific target.

Ahh, ok my bad then. I guess I should wait to try the demo before more speculations although I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

@Eble's videos: It could happen...with the right amount of magic :p

I think he meant target, not engage. As in keep your sights on that guy.

Comes in handy with stealth missions. Assign targets to each of your squadies, then give a fire order.

Unless I missed it, it isn't possible in DR.

I think he meant target, not engage. As in keep your sights on that guy.

Comes in handy with stealth missions. Assign targets to each of your squadies, then give a fire order.

Unless I missed it, it isn't possible in DR.

Yes Target is what I mean. I love micro-managing my squad and having them target exact individuals before engaging or firing as that is when the chess match begins.

and how many people are playing MP for OFP-DR right this moment?

thats right, PS3/Xbox360 and PC a big fat zero....

why because OFP-DR is a P2P MP and the one and only master server died 2 1/2 hours ago, hence why I'm making lots of movies of OFP-DR

@ Dante music is Delerium Feat. Sarah McLachlan - Silence Ministry of Sound - Chilled

thx mate, btw thx also for the vids ;)