Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Fortran

He left us already. Asked to be banned by PM and the nice people we are, we try to make every wish come true when possible. :)

/me nominates you for head of the "Make a wish" Foundation :p

Eth

Fortran

He left us already. Asked to be banned by PM and the nice people we are, we try to make every wish come true when possible. :)

Couldn't he just act like an adult and not come back on his own? Why volunteer for banhammering?

Rhetorical question: Why are so many people from another forum trying to convince a bigger, SIMmier games' forum the 'benefits of the detriments' of a lightweight knock-off?

To the point of the post: I really can't get over the change in PR over the past 6 months. From "This will have everything rockin' on a stick", to "It's all made of cardboard cutouts popping out on triggers, and camera filters." They already had an engine for heavens-sake!

So thank you BIS, you reach for the stars, possibly over-reach, but you still get what is attainable into the game. And, you improve on the aspects that just barely fit and stick out a little, lol.

Cheers.

BTW: Lughnut- Hilarious game, it's unfortunate you can play it though. I imagine CM is having trouble seeing through the extended middle fingers pointed toward them. :aa:

Edited by Scrub
I'm a blithering redundant idiot..And I'm not smart.

Rhetorical question: Why are so many people from another forum trying to convince a bigger, SIMmier games' forum the 'benefits of the detriments' of a lightweight knock-off?

To the point of the post: I really can't get over the change in PR over the past 6 months. From "This will have everything rockin' on a stick", to "It's all made of cardboard cutouts popping out on triggers, and camera filters." They already had an engine for heavens-sake!

So thank you BIS, you reach for the stars, possibly over-reach, but you still get what is attainable into the game and squeeze as much in as you can. And, you improve on the aspects that just barely fit and stick out a little, lol.

Cheers.

/QFT

A2 is everything that is possible with the available technology.

DR is a generic console FPS with many equals (and all of them older than DR).

Eth

Luhgnut;1458807']LOL...... go for it. Don't say you haven't been warned. And don't go whining anywhere on why you can't get your money back.

And where are these reviews that say it's so great? They are even bashing it on the OFP/DR forums. Few of the guys on their forums are trying to get a lynch mob together. Except for the console guys' date=' but I can understand their excitement. They have to justify to themselves why they bought a console in the first place, so when you throw them a bone, they go bonkers. Oh, and you have 18 posts. Funny how a guy with 18 posts slams a guy with 1. Whoo hoo![/quote']

the polls indicate otherwise. man half of the people whining on the forums dont project any aura of legitimacy. they just go spamming everywhere.

Official reviews have shown a variety of scores. a few 4-6s, some 7-high 7s and more than a few 8-9s. 1 full points

haha, its gonna be fine for me, no whining no nothing! money really isnt a problem. do you know how much games cost here in Australia(assuming ur not from here) 100 bloody dollars for one game. but online buying has managed to save me 50 which i used to buy arma 2 aswell. so i get the best of both worlds.

Fortran

Ah, really should have looked before posting that lol, sorry about the rant but glad he decided to bugger off.

the polls indicate otherwise. man half of the people whining on the forums dont project any aura of legitimacy. they just go spamming everywhere.

Official reviews have shown a variety of scores. a few 4-6s, some 7-high 7s and more than a few 8-9s. 1 full points

haha, its gonna be fine for me, no whining no nothing! money really isnt a problem. do you know how much games cost here in Australia(assuming ur not from here) 100 bloody dollars for one game. but online buying has managed to save me 50 which i used to buy arma 2 aswell. so i get the best of both worlds.

What polls? Console gaming polls? I'm very certain they will be very high in the marks since there is NOTHING else like it on consoles. Furthermore, they released it on 3 platforms. Two of which are consoles. Since a pre-requisite to play a console game is the ability to count to 3, everybody has one. What I don't get is the fact that you can beat the single player in very short order. Took me less than 24 hours, and that's only because I had to work for 8 hours of that. Some have beaten it in just under 5 hours. Since the multiplayer is basically non-existent, what else is there to do? I mean you can rent this thing at BlockBuster on Friday, and return it on Monday, and you have seen all there is to see! Why would anybody want to buy it?

My Xbox360 died with the Red ring of death about a year ago, and since nothing was out that was worth a damn, I haven't had it fixed. The PS3 I only use for BlueRay movies. My point being is that "In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king." So you take a game that's rated as mediocre, dump it in with the rest of the game titles that are really sub-par, (which is 95% of the other games on console) hell ya it's going to look damn awesome.

If a starving man is given a cracker, it would taste like a steak. OFP/DR on consoles is that cracker.

So I take it you haven't beaten it yet........glad you got it online and didn't spend the whole $100.00

What I think the bottom line thing with people is not the GAME itself, it's the in-ability to reach the bar that CM said it would raise. If they didn't constantly release pre-rendered video's, and photoshopped stills, they wouldn't be getting half the bashing they are getting. But no, they constantly mis-represented the game to people. THAT'S what people are really upset about. It's the blatant misrepresentation of the game. They use the good name of Operation Flash Point, whip out some really cool video's and Screen Shots. Slip in a "work in progress" safety net, so if the game doesn't look like what they have been pumping out, then I guess they can sleep at night.

Since OFP/DR released, the interest in Arma2 has skyrocketed. BIS should thank CM for doing what they did, because many people on PC feel ripped off, and their needs for a military sim hasn't been fulfilled.

The game really is terrible though.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Couldn't he just act like an adult and not come back on his own? Why volunteer for banhammering?

There are people that you cant talk logic into them, and there are some people thinks asking for ban is a "hero" act, a sort of "self sacrifice":rolleyes:

A new review was released recently. It too gave it a lower score, 5/10, but this one is in English.

bit-tech.net | Review - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Review

the review finished with...

At the end of the day, if the question is whether Codemasters can replicate the success of the original Operation Flashpoint without the help of Bohemia Interactive Studios then the answer is simple. No.
lol

Just tried it for myself. I'm really disappointed

DR bastardized OFP in the same way that GRAW bastardized Ghost Recon. :(

Strange - I though you said that reviews dont matter? Or maybe youve changed you mind now, in which case :

Zoo Magazine (UK) - 5/5

IncGamers - 9.4/10

CHIEF Magazine (NL) - 93%

Games.ch (Germany) - 93%

PC Zone UK - 90% and Classic Award

Power Unlimited (NL) - 90%

Gaming Heaven - 90% and Silver Award

Gamesradar - 9/10

Hardgame2.com (Spain) - 9/10

Electronic Theatre - 89/100

Gamersnet.nl - 88/100

PC Gamer Sweden - 87%

Play.tm - 85%

XGN (Dutch) - 8.5/10

Meristation (Spain) - 8.5/10

3D Juegos PC Review - 8.4/10

gram.pl - 5 out of 6

Pelit Magazine (Finland) - 83%

Vandal.net (Spain) - 8.3/10

IGN PC Review - 8.2/10

IGN UK - 8.1/10

Official Xbox Magazine - 8/10

Gameplayer (Swedish) - 8/10

Multiplayer.it (Italian) - 8/10

Now Gamer - 7.8/10

Gamestar (Germany) - 78%

PC Games (Germany) - 77%

Gamespot - 7.5/10

Official PS3 Magazine - 7/10

Eurogamer - 7/10

Videogamer.net - 7/10

Dagbladnet (Norway) - 3/6

hrej.ch (Czech) - 9/10

BonusWeb.cz (Czech) - 6/10

Doupe.cz (Czech) - 5/10

Eurogame.cz (Czech) - 4/10

- Weapons on full auto you can't select one or three rounds

Hmmm...try press F once...really helps

Strange - I though you said that reviews dont matter? Or maybe youve changed you mind now, in which case :

Review scores don't matter. Valid, intelligent arguments and properly contextualized opinions do.

CoD: MW2 > POS:DR.

BF: BC2 > POS:DR.

Edited by ffs
disable smilies in text

Review scores don't matter. Valid, intelligent arguments and properly contextualized opinions do.

I couldn't agree more ;)

OpFp2 is a killer game on annihilation mode. It is fun and i can play it for hours against other real players with ai in there as well.Arma2 was not for me.I purchased arma2 expecting big online battles with pvp,and that will never happen.Arma2 was talked about alot....now you hear nothing about it.No one on my xfire even plays arma2 anymore.Everyone is playing OpFp2 or the older games PR,BF2,and some cod games.IMHO arma2 is the epic failure and OpFp2 is what arma2 should have been.Instead every arma2 server you get on theres 32 players running around like wtf are we suppose to do.Arma2=Epic fail OpFp2=good game for all types of players.of course the arma fanboys will hate to hear there game is dying. :P

I just want to say OFDR is terrible. I had high hopes for it but it fails. Arma 2 has its pro's and cons and I dont even have it installed anymore, but its 10x better that OFDR. I really cant say enough bad things about OFDR. The weapons do sound great, I have to admit that but everything else is just garbage. If you were unlucky enough to buy OFDR start up a game and fire your entire magazine into the ground and enjoy the sound effects because that is the most enjoyment to be had playing this turd.

Hey Rub!c0n,

The types of players differ. Groups typically like the same type of game, hence the flocking of the group. You don't like Arma II, but you do like DR/PR/BF2 more. Just because your group is not playing it anymore, does it make sense that you'd come to Arma II forums, and people won't believe your view? Look at the numbers again. Yes, those. I know they are intimidating, but this community typically goes more off facts over emotion than other places.

(edit) Forgot, to ask: Why, when you say, "Instead every arma2 server you get on theres 32 players running around like wtf are we suppose to do." do you blame Arma? What you described was clueless people in a free virtual world. Blame them for not using the brains God gave them. The world is unchained, get some imagination, initiative, and a big ass gun, and go kick some OPFOR ass! lol. Of course, the capacity of DR is so limited, you have little choice to try anything truly creative. So I believe people will not be too confused in that game.

Edited by Scrub

Though if one goes off of the review scores...

Find what the mean (average) of those scores are... I might have done my math wrong. But if you do check the average I believe it's a 75 percent.

average...

Overal that seems to be the vibe that I'm getting from this thread. That it's just an average FPS. It has some innovations, but on the whole a forgettable game.

Which makes me slightly disapointed. When I first heard about this game I'll admit the hype got to me I was excited at the concept of it. Those bloody Pre-rendered videos got me hooked.

I've never played ARMA or OFP, infact I had heard about ARMA and seen it in wal-mart but didn't know what it was (it didn't say FPS and I couldn't figure it out for some reason). I tried the demo for ARMA II and wanted that game badly. But ARMA II was not in my local Wal-mart (the nearest Best Buy is a good 6 hour drive... thank you GOT Game on your distrubution :() I figured OFP: DR would be a decent subsitute that I could get. Then the hype wore off and I forgot about it...

Until about a month ago when I saw this thread. I was disapointed that what I was originally presented with is not what the finished product is going to be. So, suckin it up I ordered ARMA II on Amazon.

Now OFP: DR is out...

I have no regrets...

Arma2=Epic fail OpFp2=good game for all types of players.of course the arma fanboys will hate to hear there game is dying. :P

My my my, how you have changed your tune...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1354352&postcount=5

Seems good to me.... this game will not fail.. It will be one of the most played games for a very long time. Watch and see.

You also seem to fail to grasp that the longevity of A2 is not solely in it's multiplayer game, especially with the vast amount of user made content that is created for the game on an almost daily basis. Of course if you really want to see a game brought to its knees on the basis of multiplayer alone, then I am afraid with no cd-key, no anti cheat system and a P2P network technology powering it, OFPDR will be dead within the next couple of months.

ARMA2's pretty much dead already Rub!c0n - I had a look earlier and there were less than 350 people playing worldwide, and that's on a Friday night.

If you don't believe the numbers scrub, then look at the global x-fire stats (not just off friends) , or look at the server list.

Space can I just ask you just what exactly is your point to being on these forums? Your post count stands at 72, 71 posts of which have been in this and the previously closed OFPDR threads and simply used to bash A2 at every given opportunity. If you hate A2 so much and love OFPDR as much as you seem to can I just ask why you are here and not spreading your love for the game over at the CM forums? It seems a little idiotic to say the least, unless of course you are working for CM in some capacity. Every post you have made has just been a thinly veiled attempt to undermine A2...why waste your time and everybody else's here when your posting on the actual BIS community forums?

Edited by Fortran

How long does a mission in DR lasts?

I play ArmA2 only on weekends due to missions lasting hours. Sundays I can be on for 12 hours and play 3-4 missions, weekdays there is no way I'm gonna drop in a mission for 30-60 mins.

Ive spent months on the forums ( mainly trying to get fixes for the game or looking at the mods) but yes I only recently registered. If you read my posts I also give DR plenty of criticism. Both games have been released prematurely imo, and both games have the potential to be great games. Both games have their problems and I dont mind saying so. As far as I know there isn't a forum rule against anything I've said here.

How long does a mission in DR lasts?

I play ArmA2 only on weekends due to missions lasting hours. Sundays I can be on for 12 hours and play 3-4 missions, weekdays there is no way I'm gonna drop in a mission for 30-60 mins.

Ive only played it for a few days, so I've been playing on experienced mode ( which is like medium difficulty - I had planned to play it all on hardcore, but that soon went out of the window :D ) Also I've only completed the first 4 missions and the first one is basically a tutorial. The missions are taking much longer as the game progresses, and most last just over an hour. Ive been replaying the same missions over and over with friends on 4p online co-op, so there's replay value even on the lower difficulty levels. Also the editor looks pretty powerful, so there should be some great community missions created soon ( hopefully ).

Online multiplayer is basically broken at the moment. There's no dedicated servers, and as time progresses it becomes less likely there will ever be any. This means that a player has to host, which leads to a world of disconnections and lag. Also there isnt any user created multiplayer missions yet, so we are stuck with the 3-4 that CM have made ( Theres only one which is any good really )

Edited by space

I disagree, Ive been having loads of fun even in SP. My review: if you enjoy playing games in your free time then absolutely give it a go. Its got a great atmosphere and is definitely more mil-sim then any other FPS but its not as harcore as ArmA2 (and it will also not CTD to desktop every 10 mins :P). Command system is intuitive once you familiarize yourself. Sounds are fantastic. Animations are top notch (I always hated how the ARMA 2 soldier sprint, always looked abit retarded to me) including authentic looking reloading anims etc. FLIR kicks ass, so do lasers and flashlights :) All the people here complaining about AI... I really feel like we're playing a different game, im playing on Hardcore setting and they just keep on kicking my ass, hiding behind trees and objects. Most notably how slick the game looks. Yes textures look alittle less detailed but as you are playing missions it doesnt even catch ur attention and at least I dont have to stare at 10 white vehicles and houses every time while waiting till the textures pop up.

Im sorry if my review angers anyone but I honestly believe that the game is being over criticized, I would give it 8.5/10. If you take ArmA 2 graphics + modding possibilities+functionality, make them smooth, and apply the level of DR's professional slickness (polishing)+ make it bugfree (or at least playable) you would have heck of a game.

Amen and good response.

It doesn't matter how professionally someone responds or the points they bring up, the people here will keep saying it sucks. It isn't a sim, its a shooter and a damn fun one. I haven't touched ArmA2 since I got DR. Sorry, I like ArmA and all but I can remember one time I tried to buy a weapon and ended up with an invisible pistol that fired dragunov rounds (this was after wasting time trying to get my squadmates some worthwhile weapons). Another time shortly after I was giving first aid and I suddenly started to slide on the ground... So whoever is saying their ArmA2 is working better than DR is either full of it or needs to send me their copy so I can play without going insane.:D

I'll be honest I don't like the direction ArmA2 takes either with this buy stuff sell stuff build magical factories out of nothing that make frickin armored vehicles. I bought it wanting a military simulator not Command and Conquer: Chernarus or an FPS Company of Heroes. One guy goes down and its game over? Lame, sure in a squad of four that's a lot but still, the AI really isn't THAT good that it should be a cause to loose. And that's another thing. What is it with squads of 4? (Yes, I know DR has that too but that's not a sim) I miss the good old OFP days leading large forces. Oh but I should just buy them right? The strategy is cool and all but like I said, if its supposed to be such a great sim, then wtf? I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in real life.

I'm the guy who hates online mainly because even though everybody is all "rabble rabble realism" they still go and screw off. So ArmA2 is pretty much worthless to me since the campaign style (and bugs) is really making me loose interest. Now it's just a fancy mission making base.

Ok, excuse the rant, its early, I'm tired and cranky. Keep up the work BIS but please fix it before expanding it...

OpFp2 is a killer game on annihilation mode. It is fun and i can play it for hours against other real players with ai in there as well.Arma2 was not for me.I purchased arma2 expecting big online battles with pvp,and that will never happen.Arma2 was talked about alot....now you hear nothing about it.No one on my xfire even plays arma2 anymore.Everyone is playing OpFp2 or the older games PR,BF2,and some cod games.IMHO arma2 is the epic failure and OpFp2 is what arma2 should have been.Instead every arma2 server you get on theres 32 players running around like wtf are we suppose to do.Arma2=Epic fail OpFp2=good game for all types of players.of course the arma fanboys will hate to hear there game is dying. :P

Everyone has the right to voice their own opinion... but a couple of things I should point out :

Dragon Rising can't have huge online battles due to their unit limits.

Should probably change that to "every Arma 2 server I get on...." as most of the Arma 2 servers I play on are well co-ordinated, but I also realise that there's a lot of servers out there that are thrown together with people who don't know how to play (not that there's anything wrong with that)

But the most important part, "OFP2 is what Arma should have been", should probably be "OFP2 is what I wanted Arma to be". Arma 2 never tried to be like OFP2 and OFP2 never tried to be like Arma 2 as they are completely different types of games.

Arma 2 is a military simulator. OFP2 : DR is a tactical shooter. The difference being that Arma 2 is designed for people who love military tactics, weapons, etc, and Dragon Rising is designed for people who want to play tactics without the realism or "simulation" aspect holding them back.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

I bought it wanting a military simulator... One guy goes down and its game over? Lame

I'm sorry, I had to quote that 'cause it made me laugh :)

I'm just playing though. Arma 2 isn't for everyone, and neither is Dragon Rising. I'm the lucky one though 'cause I like both games. I find both fun, but I prefer Arma 2 only because of it's depth and longevity, but that's just my personal preference.

I find it a tad shortsighted when people are already announcing here that ArmA2 is dead and so on.

I'm not gonna purchase DR due personal reasons I'll not go deeper now but I have no doubt it can be a helluva fun game for consoles for example (I have also PS3 and can appreciate those) but the beauty of ArmA series is that they're a perfect sandbox created for serious gamers who are willing to participate more than just whining on forums.

Yes, it has flaws but they'll be sorted. Just played ArmA last night and enjoyed it's smoothness and beauty. The original OFP was critisized often for it's odd graphics but it was those graphics that suited it perfect and made it possible to have such an open world to explore.

Another common thing here that's causing me gray hair is people saying they don't know what's going on in a mission.

For some odd reason people don't bother to read briefings and the situational awareness for some is just not there. Is it the "tube shooters" to blame I don't know...

So, for those declaring deaths for some games:

I can hear heavy breathing inside my thermaltake case.... it must be ArmA1 & 2... All the "tactical shooters" have been uninstalled and are lifeless in closet.

:rolleyes: