Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

You know, if you had phrased your post a little less hostile then I would have actually listened to it and, who knows, we may have had a mature discussion of the topic. Take Soul_Assassin's post as an example of how you should have posted.

Game's working brilliantly on my end. Try again. ;)

Visiting the ARMA2 tech forums at release clearly shows otherwise. The vast amount of "unplayable" campaign issues, game breaking bugs, and constant annoyances with the radio sound echo issue? As well as the need to jury-rig the game to run SLI via naming it cyrsis.exe? Please. These were all at release and earned the game terrible reviews from credible review sources

Try again.

IMO ArmA 2 beats DR in every way except:

Sales and reviews state otherwise in terms of ARMA2 beating OFP: DR. Sorry.

Also, my original points still stand and remained untrumped - The game was near unplayable without tweaking out of the box.

That's the sign of an amateur game. To say ARMA/ARMA2 ran brilliantly and without flaw is a flat out lie. I purchased the game at release and it was an unplayable joke for many, many people.

ARMA2 is a game that will be great someday. Maybe. The fact that their are less than 300 people online playing at any given time is an indication of its failure.

Sorry.

This is interesting:

A side by side comparison of ArmA 2 and DR. Really shows the differences between how the player moves in each game.

Visiting the ARMA2 tech forums at release clearly shows otherwise. The vast amount of "unplayable" campaign issues, game breaking bugs, and constant annoyances with the radio sound echo issue? As well as the need to jury-rig the game to run SLI via naming it cyrsis.exe? Please. These were all at release and earned the game terrible reviews from credible review sources

Try again.

Also, my original points still stand and remained untrumped - The game was near unplayable without tweaking out of the box.

That's the sign of an amateur game. To say ARMA/ARMA2 ran brilliantly and without flaw is a flat out lie. I purchased the game at release and it was an unplayable joke for many, many people.

ARMA2 is a game that will be great someday. Maybe. The fact that their are less than 300 people online playing at any given time is an indication of its failure.

Sorry.

Guy, just go away ffs. You're not welcome here. I fail to understand why you "one post" wonders keep showing up here, insulting people and then expecting a discussion.

Go play DR if it is so good. You won't convince anyone here.

Bye

Eth

PS : The "renaming the exe" thing was fixed many months ago. You're obviously quite up to date /sarcasm off. It's also a moot point as I can't even tell you how many PC games have required a renaming of the exe to get SLI working.

Edited by BangTail

Try again.

Sorry.

The extreme dumbing down of DR is perhaps one indication of how supremely difficult it is to actually do this stuff right. (Discounting for the moment the notion that it's that way by design... thanks console market driven paradigms.) ArmA2 may not be perfect or bug free, and for some people it seems to be unplayable, but it's still the best out there and playable for the majority. And more than that, infinitely expandable and flexible.

Sorry :)

ARMA2 is a game that will be great someday. Maybe. The fact that their are less than 300 people online playing at any given time is an indication of its failure

Most people play in locked servers for some 5hours in a go. And tons more play in SP.

Also, ArmA2 worked fine for me out of the box. No need for me to tweak my PC or the game to make it work or work fine. It worked. And it wasn't a failure.

Also, sales figure doesn't a good game make. CoD5 for example...

OFP DR is a good game, i am enjoying it. Its not OFP and was never meant to be, codemasters are cashing in on the name and the concept and bringing it to todays mainstream gamer. Which is fine (Lets not get oversentimental about the name, if anything its insulting to BIS' business intelligence, they knew exactly what they were doing when they signed the name over to CM).

That said its no ArmA2, not by a long shot but comparing the two is a little silly. I have a lot of friends who, to put it bluntly are gaming morons. They have nor the time nor the patience to deal with ArmA2 and OFP DR is proving to be a tool to entice them in to more cerebral gaming.

The game is not polished and the PVP multiplayer is laughable yet the SP and COOP shines sometimes. OFP DR feels like a game taped together at breaking point, only just capable of pulling it off. ArmA2 is obviously technically better and more able of producing compelling experiences but is simply broken in many areas. It takes much more effort to have a good time with arma2 (not that i am opposed to making that effort as for me it is worth it) than it does with OFP DR and that is why it is a decent game.

Try not to compare the two as it is worthless, get them both and try to enjoy them. Theres fuck all else out there to play.

Edited by xmongx
silly emoticons every time i type OFP:DR

Britney Spears sells alot of albums, does that mean her music is good, or does it indicate that there are a large majority of dullards with extremely bad taste.

/Rhetorical question.

Eth

Sorry.

+1 infraction point for that flaming. And if you say 'sorry' a thousand time it doesn't help you.

I warn you, if you registered here just to bash ArmA2 - and it looks like this - you have a very short carreer here. This is not the CM forums were bashing, flaming and insulting is tolerated.

Hoping to get my copy tomorrow, pity there isn't a special mission included for the Amazon version.

Hoping to get my copy tomorrow, pity there isn't a special mission included for the Amazon version.

Not that there anything really "special" about the bonus missions lol but all versions from all retails can unlock the additional content with these codes:

Case sensitive btw:

Ambush: AmbushU454

Close Quarters: CloseQ8M3

Coastal Stronghold: StrongM577

Debris Field: OFPWEB2

Encampment: OFPWEB1

Night Raid: RaidT18Z

Care to explain why there are about 970 players playing ArmA2 online at this very moment?

On the weekends there are usually more than 1500 people playing online at the same time.

Not that there anything really "special" about the bonus missions lol but all versions from all retails can unlock the additional content with these codes:

Case sensitive btw:

Ambush: AmbushU454

Close Quarters: CloseQ8M3

Coastal Stronghold: StrongM577

Debris Field: OFPWEB2

Encampment: OFPWEB1

Night Raid: RaidT18Z

Yeah...it is a shame that they all stink.

The two points I presented at the beginning of my post will trump any argument you can make when trying to compare ARMA2 to OFP: DR.

OK.

#1 - The game works.

You mean the poorly implemented game works? Whoopie :)

#2 - The doesn't require endless tweaking to make it work.

But apparently will need endless tweaking to make it worth playing.

Sir I trumped you :) Now trump these:

#1 ArmA2 I can start at one end of the map, by MP buddy at the other end on a different but related task.

#2 I can set up any number of AI skirmishes anywhere on the map, and it doesn't require the presence of a player for the outcome to play out. I can, hours later, come across the remnants of that skirmish because it actually happened independently.

I don't think either of those two scenarios are possible with DR, as it seems to be player-centric, which is what you'd expect for a console game. That's all well & good as it stands, but 'taint Operation Flashpoint :) The above might sound like wasteful CPU cycles to some but for others it's a test of fidelity.

Even Operation Flashpoint allowed for more than 63 "entities". And my old PC from way back then wasn't a quarter as powerful as an XBox 360.

If the name Operation Flashpoint is to be used as a descriptive and a label of pedigree, then it's Operation Flashpoint Lite.

Edited by DMarkwick

One thing this whole DR affair does show is how much BIS F***'d up releasing ArmA2 early. Even at the time I could not believe they pushed it out ahead of schedule when it was lacking so much polish, rather than waiting and sorting all the issues out...because well, first impressions are vital. And although everyone who's played ArmA2 v1.04 knows it's a perfectly sound game, you can clearly see the negative impact of that bad first impression by looking at the comments around OFP-DR; lots of claims that despite all its flaws, OFP-DR is better than ArmA2 purely on the basis that ArmA2 is "a buggy POS", are still being propagated - even though it's no longer true.

Pains me to think how much custom BIS lost/drove to OFP-DR through that. Big opportunity for BIS atm, getting some sales off the back of all those disappointed with DR....shame the game has a reputation as bug ridden, or that opportunity would be bigger. :(

Edited by Pathy

One point did make me chuckle :
-For a game that uses a driving games engine the vehicle controls still suck.

:)

Well their racing games also have shitty unrealistic physics ;)

Although the ground vehicles were one thing I thought they actually would do better than BIS.

why is EARTH would you want OPF2 to fail????

If opf2 succeeds then publishers would want more of the same, thus arma would have an easier time getting a publisher, more money and more time to get what they want done.

Everyone here bashing opf2 hoping for its failure is also making it harder for arma to succeed

You ALL should be wanting it succeed so that this genre only gets stronger.

/sigh

Hi, everyone , in this message i want to thank developers "Bohemia" for great game Arma 2 and tell something about this two games.

Yesterday i bought OFP2 DR in hope for a game wich will look cool and work as it should be.Afer playing it for 2 hours i`ve decided to bring it back to the shop and get my money back.And here i`m gonna tell you why.

We all know Arma 2 came with enormous amount of bugs, but still then game was great a simulator and on other side i was horrible to play wih all those bugs in the beginning.

When i heard about release of OFP2 DR i though it would be something between Arma 2 and COD,and it would be great simulator.

After i bought and installed OFP2 ,first feeling was good ,flash menu ,but after i started the game and have setted up everything on "HIGH: video settings i was amaized the game just doesn`t lag ,what Arma 2 does normaly.

But after playing for about 2 hours i found this game not as simulator but as a damn shooter.

Personally i`m a 3D Artist (some of my works

And i know how models and textures should looks like in games and what is the reachable level for it so game engine can handle it.

Well OFP2 DR model and textures are horrible. And if i compare it to Arma 2 i see the Bohemia Artists putted all their skills to the maximum to make this game as beauty as possible ,all kind of small details etc etc.

View distance in OFP2 DR got me shocked ,by so far i haven`t seen the game with such low view distance on highest settings, i could see not further then 1-1.5 km ,which in Arma 2 is noraly up to 10 km ,big difference

Multiplayer of OFP2 su%$%&$cks.

What made me totaly crazy is that models of attack/transport choppers are looking more like a flying box ,and that you can shoot the out of the sky with just a rifle ,YES simple rifle and 1-2 ammo clips.

Flying heli with computer joystick?No way game even don`t understand what joystick is except XBOX360 joystick .

Game keyboard settings are horrible ,you don`t have that much control over player as in Arma 2,but OFP2 DR have excellent command squad menu ,they build it very smart way.

So here comes the quastion is OFP2 DR a simulators as COdemaser says, my answer is NO, the whole game simulation su%&*$#cks like no others, the REAL simulator is !!!ARMA 2!!! And the game graphics looks much better then OFP2 DR.

But however i found something nice in OFP2 DR ,campaing is nice.

Guns Muzzleflashes ,in arma 2 you can`t see them that good and they looks not cool and not that beautyfull.

Smoke in OFP2 s great ,looks just so cool ,cinematic smoke i mean then.

And morning/midday color saturation, good release quality game have no bugs at ll by so far, but i think have learned their mistake an will not release next time not good tested and ready for play game,so game doesn`t scare regular players ,Javlin shoots as it should be and not straight as in Arma 2,that`s it,all what i loved in OFP2 DR.

So actually we all know that OFP2 DR is also released on consoles .I thought the game was reeased andmeaned as main for PC and ported to consoles ,but know the whole OFP2 DR looks like have been ported from consoles to PC even if they build it on PC.

Conclusion OFP2 DR is no comparecy to ARMA 2 ,OFP2 DR will nt stand a minute against Arma 2.

And now for sure after Bohemia have released latest beta patch "ARMA2_Build_59323.zip" i get much more performence playing the game on High settings, so keep it up Bohemia .

And one request please adjust the way Javeling shoots mssiles ,as in reality , so missile doesn`t fly that straight ,and also if possible make some more nicer muzzleflashes.

In the end i want everyone to thank Bohemia for a GREAT game .

THANKS YOU BOHEMIA,keep up fixing the game we love it.And we all hope ARMA 3 will be a good quality poduct (if you plannig to make it ) .

P.S. Moderators do not delete this mesage plz, in this message i want to thank bohemia for a great game and give them a hint what way they shouldn`t choose.

Arma 2 wins this battle

Good luck , everyone

Pains me to think how much custom BIS lost/drove to OFP-DR through that. Big opportunity for BIS atm, getting some sales off the back of all those disappointed with DR....shame the game has a reputation as bug ridden, or that opportunity would be bigger. :(

It was saddening that it happened but I propose that if OFP DR succeeds BIS will gain more than if it fails, DR edges the average gamer towards a more intelligent way of playing military themed games which will ultimately lead towards ArmA:AO, the gains will be multiplied significantly if BIS decide to try and release it on 360.

If opf2 succeeds then publishers would want more of the same, thus arma would have an easier time getting a publisher, more money and more time to get what they want done.

Everyone here bashing opf2 hoping for its failure is also making it harder for arma to succeed

/sigh

As an alternative viewpoint, if OFPDR succeeds wildly, then we can expect more of the same. The fact that it appears to be succeeding on consoles but failing on the PC reveals however that the writing is on the wall for complex PC gaming. At least as far as corporate franchise madness goes anyway.

I've no doubt that OFPDR represents complex gaming as far as consoles go, but really, it seems to be pretty well nerfed as far as PC gaming goes. It doesn't bode well.

Good job there is at least one independent developer looking after our interests. Perfect it may not be, but it's the best, and by a wide margin. At least it tries.

/sigh

Look mils,

I understand what you mean. But OF: DR is not military simulation! Its a GAME. A simple piece of software you use to entertain yourself. You insert the DVD, you play the campaign, you play the single missions if it has them and then play the dull multiplayer until you get bored...

Or you can also check the mission editor but with the 63 entities limit...hmm...:cool:

Mind to give a credible source. :confused:

OFP : DR X-Fire Stats

ARMA2 X-Fire Stats

The stats are updated a day later - DR hasn't even been full released. ( Look at the "highest rank achieved" stat )

Every review has given DR 8-9 out of 10.........apart from 3 reviews from the Czech Republic and one review from Norway.

Look mils,

I understand what you mean. But OF: DR is not military simulation! Its a GAME. A simple piece of software you use to entertain yourself. You insert the DVD, you play the campaign, you play the single missions if it has them and then play the dull multiplayer until you get bored...

Or you can also check the mission editor but with the 63 entities limit...hmm...:cool:

Fair point out of the box its limits are low, (though there is a vid of someone using respawning well to get an insane battle going) And the 4 player co-op is lame also

give it time, if they release an SDK expect modders to go nuts! :)

FLIR kicks ass, that's quite an understatement. I hope OA FLIR won't be as much a cheat as this one, but I applaud the effort anyway, I'm sure it's partly the reason why we'll have FLIR in OA

There is actually a videoout there showing the FLIR?

Go to armaholic and watch out for the preview thingy...

You are well aware of the fact that SLI needs a driver profile which is an issue of NVIDIA/AMD and not BIS?

And NVIDIA reacted and included it in their SLI Hotpatch thingy. I wonder why that one exists and even includes high profile games if its just a bad game designer not managing to get SLI working..

I can play ArmA 2 out of the box. I install it, play it... and it works fine.

MP has a lot of bugs, especially on large scale missions which last several hours and includes hundreds of units. But DR will never run into that problem anyway ^^

Many games are flawed upon release

The OFP Series of BIS was never a mainstream game. Judging a non mainstream game by its amount of players is just plain stupid.

I bet Ultima Online (with all the freeshards) still has more players avg than most other games on the market. Which doesn't make it a good game by nowadays standards...

Plus a little pun for DR: I just see a game with 76 players in it :P. I mean 76 human players. And it has a ping of 31 ;)

Just wait for MANDOS Missiles coming out for ArmA 2... then it will be real love!

And yes BIS, I'm looking at you with the still utterly stupid IR Scanner system we are stuck with since OFP!!!!!!!111111

Edited by Alienfreak