Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I wouldn't be so sure, as it seems the whole game content is in ~520 8 MB files starting with win_000.000, win_000.001 and so on.

Of course the files are not readable, until someone found a way to decrypt/unpack them I see no way how you could edit the content or add new stuff to the game.

The biggest problem is that "what is there to mod?" The core engine is flawed. Until they get passed the limitations of their engine i.e. Scripting as opposed to real AI, graphics pop-ups and horrible LOD, and programmed obviously to the limitations of a game console, there is no real physics engine in it.

I think all you'll see would possibly be a terrain editor and maybe some models. But in the end, it will just be a mod of a mod.

The physics detail is what confuses me..... as one of the posters here have said, that it's odd that with a game based on a driving game, the physics are so bad. I think they wanted to market the "great expansive map" so much that they had to cut corners upon corners. Face it, the majority of the market is in console gaming, since any doof can get by any game off the shelf and plug it into a PS/3 or Xbox360 and have it run. But they are also trapped by the same systems they bought with no upgrade paths.

For instance, you come out with a game, it really only has to be good for the duration of the life of the console at best. In 2-3 years, they introduce a new model. With computer games, the good ones are played for many more years, simply because once it's purchased, and you upgrade your system, you can keep going back to it over and over. In console, once you upgrade, they rarely go back again.

So capture the attention for a large market, sell a bunch early, and forget about it. (Console).

At this stage neither A2 or DR is that great.

I was optimistic early this year that two great games were coming out, well two games did come out but neither is anywhere near great.

I think both games had potential to be so much more.

I got an opportunity to play this game. First impressions? I was blown away by the graphics...

They were the most horrific I have seen in a long long time. Usually I'm not bothered by games not having the fanciest graphics, but I could have sworn there was something wrong. I checked it out, the game was running on highest settings... I turned out Anti-Aliasing to the max and that did nothing. It reminded me of playing Delta Force Black Hawk Down... Except that game had less brown.

As I play more of the game, I'll comment on it further. But I wasn't impressed by what I have seen of it so far.

Picked it up on Steam on day of release fairly excited (I don't understand fanboyism without any financial gain, so i gave both products an equal chance) - huge, huge disappointment.

Immidiately after firing game up i noticed that there is no free look i'm so used to in Arma 2, no rolling in prone position, no leaning - what the fvck, it's almost like Codemasters did not pick up a copy of Arma 2 and did not take note at what the competition did right.

Overall game feel and squad mechanics has more in common with Rainbow Six :Vegas (outdoors edition) than original OFP. Squad mate behavior and look are almost a "cut and paste" from the gutted R6 franchise.

Graphically the game feels like World of Warcraft had sex with GRAW and OFP2 came out as a bastard child. Bland landscapes, cartoony appearances, generic looking enemies.

I remember CM bragging about the game being so gritty that it would send an anti-war message. Well, i noticed zero grit, unless visibly spawning enemies and gibs that look worse than Quake 1 are considered gritty. To me an after scene of an ambush in Arma 2 is alot more brutal looking, because it looks like something taken out a news report (and with SLX mod, there are body peices everywhere as well). Smoke doesn't look like smoke, vihicles look like something out of Pixar's cartoons, tracers look like laser beams from the original Half-Life. After seeing the physics model of Chinese gunship in mission 2, I'm afraid to touch anything that flies/drives/swims in this game - helicopter acted like one the SkyNet's flying drones without even a hint to a semi-realistic flight model.

One big plus to the game is how it runs. I was able to max the game out and run stable 60 fps. With Arma 2, I scored 3200 in Arma 2 mark with very modest gfx option selections (q9300 quad core, gtx260 sli, Raptor 2 HDD system :( ) - in game turns this translates into 18-42 fps with 2600 m draw distance (mostly in 25 fps range), medium texture settings, low AA, and everything else on normal.

Are you also selling already :p

Nah not stupid enough to buy such a badly designed product.

I pointed out in the previous thread all that was wrong with the product and almost every prediction I made came true. As I pointed out the developers never did the math, there was no way they could produce a decent mil sim with that old fashioned Dirt/Ego engine.

It is just not up to the demands the choice of physics engine was the epic fail, nobody counted up how many calculations were needed to do rag-doll physics in that kind of environment, we are at least 5 to 10 years from doing it at the entity count levels ArmA runs at. As to doing it over MP I just cannot see how it is possible, the speed of light is not a barrier amenable to being passed.

I was just pointing out to people that if they need to test it they can save them selves a lot of cash and the dirty and abused feeling that those who bought it keep going on about by just waiting for it to appear in the fiver bargain bucket.

As I said it was all about whoring the OFP brand. The thing is by doing it and the 3 other epic fail whored products they created recently it has given the CM brand the marketing equivalent of AIDS; no one will trust any of their future products.

The thing that upsets me most is that they did it to OFP :(

Regards walker

Edited by walker

I pointed out in the previous thread all that was wrong with the product and almost every prediction I made came true. As I pointed out the developers never did the math, there was no way they could produce a decent mil sim with that old fashioned Dirt/Ego engine.

It is just not up to the demands the choice of physics engine was the epic fail, nobody counted up how many calculations were needed to do rag-doll physics in that kind of environment, we are at least 5 to 10 years from doing it at the entity count levels ArmA runs at. As to doing it over MP I just cannot see how it is possible, the speed of light is not a barrier amenable to being passed.

I was just pointing out to people that if they need to test it they can save them selves a lot of cash and the dirty and abused feeling that those who bought it keep going on about by just waiting for it to appear in the fiver bargain bucket.

As I said it was all about whoring the OFP brand. The things by doing it and the 3 other epic fail whored products they created recently it has given the CM brand the marketing equivalent of AIDS; no one will trust any of their future products.

Regards walker

To be fair OFP is already in the bargain bucket - 39 bucks on Steam (to get to next price drop to 29 bucks, one will have to wait for at least a year). And I think that the product is worth 39 bucks; yes, it's a disappointment as a milsim, but it still is a pretty fair game. I'm more angry at the wasted potential, wasted hopes, and wasted time checking out their site once a week for 3 years, than being supposetly ripped off.

As I said it was all about whoring the OFP brand. The thing is by doing it and the 3 other epic fail whored products they created recently it has given the CM brand the marketing equivalent of AIDS; no one will trust any of their future products.

Regards walker

Hehe i fully agree with you, just saying i regret buying it.

I had hoped it could replace BF2 which i play when i'm in rambo mood, but with the poor graphic and the horrible MP part BF2 is staying on my harddrive.

How come the physics, driving and destruction models seem so bad with an engine made for rally racing game ? I thought the MP and entity limits were due to that...

Because the rally/racing games that have it have less real physics than Mario Kart.

This thread needs a heavy anchor.

That's weird. Normally the discussions on YouTube are pleasant and educated, the commenters unrivalled in eloquence and rhetorical skill...

Well I didnt expect to get an intelligent debate out of youtube seen as the majority of the posts on there are inane!

Edited by trickster1982

thats probably just to cater for editor questions...

Actually appears that there will be fully fledged modding support for the game if you take a look, would most certainly be a VERY wise choice by CM to work with the community and supply the tools so this game can be transformed into something better.

Actually appears that there will be fully fledged modding support for the game if you take a look

Do you care to elaborate ?

I would rather not see BIS and CM working together after seeing how they screwed their PC audience in favor for the console audience.

I also think that BIS got no need what-so-ever for CM, they are doing great on their own.

I do think ArmA 2 is great now and also was on release date :)

Its like never wanting Robby Williams to return to Take That ... and wanted them to tell him to F**K off ... but they haven't ... arrrghgh!! :yay::D

I do not actually like either of the two ... just so people are aware of that fact. :dancehead:

Jokes aside, I completely agree. Hopefully now its out we have comparisons to re evaluate what Arma actually does bring to the table. You know when you get those days when you think Arma2 isn't cutting it with issues etc becuase you have taken it for granted.

Edited by mrcash2009

Played the game again last night at my friends place.

On its own without the OPERATION FLASHPOINT name, it would be decent, but the fact that it has this name is dissapointing.

The game is somewhat fun, but there are tons of things that I dont like about the game when compared to ARMA2.

- The graphics are nowhere near the level of ARMA2 graphics, they really fooled me, as i thought the graphics might be the only thing better with this game, but not so.

- The online is horrible, its almost like thhey just slapped on the online in the last week of development, its terrible compared to ARMA2.

- The realism is nowhere near as good as in ARMA2 either imo.

- The AI is horrible compared to ARMA2 Ai.. you thought ARMA2 had some AI issues? Try this one

- The atmosphere is not very good either, where as in ARMA2 I felt like I was actually in a war and it really pulled me into the game and its atmosphere.

- Small map and not as much exploration as ARMA2.

The things it does better then arma2 = optimized better and thats honestly all I think is better now having played about 8 hours with it. Also the fact that it has coop is ok.

Decent game and a 7/10 at the highest for me, but very dissapointing.... Im just glad I cancelled my preorder and played it at my friends first before I thought about buying it. It just really can not compare or compete with ARMA2 in anyway (other then optimized better and maybe a better story).

Edited by kozzy420

Do you care to elaborate ?

Well the inclusion of the modding section and tool request section to the forum seems to indicate that there will be some support in this area. I don't see the point of them discussing it if there is to be no modding (not just mission editing) support and as it has been posted by a moderator there it appears to be more than just pure speculation.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373722

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341533

Reading both the CM and BIS forums is like listening to Rush on AM station and later to the Blast The Right podcast.

What CM fans consider excellent AI and at least very good graphics, BIS boys call a total disaster. And the other way around!

Human is a complicated species indeed!

I have the PC version of OFP: Dragon Rising and all I can say is, this isn't a competitor for Arma 2. Yes it will sell more then Arma 2 will, but the games themselves are two totally different categories.

Arma 2 is much more of a simulator approach where Dragon Rising is simply taking CoD 4 and slowing the gameplay down, and having a much more "ported" feel to it then Call of Duty. Which is a big disappointment, I expected some of that but they really took away from the PC title (no joystick support for helo).

So don't even compare it, if you want it as another shooter go for it but OFP is no Sim like Arma 2. Can't wait to see more patches come out for Arma 2, playing OFP made me look forward to Arma 2's future even more.

Last point, I honestly feel they never should have put Operation Flashpoint on the title box, and left it in the vault for another time when they could have done it true justice to it's previous installment. They could have called this game something else and it would have made sales, but to slap a title like that in the face with this is just sad.

Edited by Cpt.Goose

Reading both the CM and BIS forums is like listening to Rush on AM station and later to the Blast The Right podcast.

What CM fans consider excellent AI and at least very good graphics, BIS boys call a total disaster. And the other way around!

Human is a complicated species indeed!

Following that metaphor can be followed up by saying that Rush is like the DR fan base; misguided and ignorant of the fact OFP2 does not cater to the original OFP fanbase's love for a greatly modifiable game that is best played with large groups of like-minded individuals.

OPF2 caters to those who don't know any better.

It wil sell more than arma 2 is that a joke the word has gone around it is pure CRAP.:j:

Well, it was one extremely huge PR campaign. Unfortunately that sells more than actually producing a quality product these days.

Comparsion of the vehicles in ArmA II and OFP, part 1: Tanks and Cars

ArmA II settings: Viewdistance 2500, all settings high except postprocessing (low) and anti-aliasing (disabled).

DR settings: All on high, shadow size 2048, anti-aliasing 8x MSAA

AAVP7A1

aavp.th.jpg

HMMWV M2

hmmwvm2.th.jpg

HMMWV Mk19

hmmwvmk19.th.jpg

LAV-25

lav25.th.jpg

M1A2

m1a2.th.jpg

Edited by W0lle
Added video settings

Comparsion of the vehicles in ArmA II and OFP, part 2: Helicopters

AH-1Z

ah1za.th.jpg

MH-60S

mh60s.th.jpg

Mi-17

mi17.th.jpg

Well the inclusion of the modding section and tool request section to the forum seems to indicate that there will be some support in this area.

I'll bet it's just a ploy to help with immediate sales and buzz and then down the line just let it die off instead of actually releasing any tools/plugins/etc.