Sign in to follow this  
TOTAL22

"Out of memory" what exactly does it mean?

Hi all.

Im running a dedicated server for my community in Japan and quite frequently I get 'out of memory' message and the server crashes.

It often crashes with this message when we are playing warfare or war-3-front like large-scale coop.

I have searched and read many threads but couldn't find a similar thread so here it goes.

Out of memory (requested 738 KB)

Reserved 294912 KB

Total free 11269 KB

Free blocks 946, Max free size 642 KB

From reading those numbers, it didn't sound like it was anything to do with physical memory as being too small. but thats just a guess.

So, what does this message exactly mean? and what can I do about it?

My server spec is:

C2Q Q9550 @2.83GHz

3.24GB DRAM

WindowsXP 32bit OS

Should I use a 64bit OS and put in more memory?

Or, should I be using a stronger CPU?

Or, is it a BISs problem and I can't do anything about it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Edited by TOTAL22

On my machine I get the error because ArmA incorrectly detects the amount of VRAM I have.

I have an Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 1024MB. But ArmA told me that I had 2GB of VRAM.

I solved the issue by manually setting the localVRAM parameter to 1024*1024*1024 = 1073741824 in the config.cfg file. However, ArmA will change this value again if you start the game, so I disbanded all rights on the file and only gave the group Administrators read rights.

I hope this helps.

@Hurricane

Very interesting infomation. I hope BIS is reading this thread and hopefully fix your problem.

Little sad news for me though, as its not going to help me because the server has nothing to do with VRAM. It doesn't even have a monitor connected.

I have a separate machine for playing on.

i think this part of the forum is more client side issues, you may do better in the multiplayer section. Which warfare missons? And does your dedi have a OS managed swap?

I don't have any experience with hosting dedicated servers, however it might be a good idea to play around with your page file a bit (enlarge it to 1.5 - 2x your RAM capacity). That too causes quite some issues on many machines, including mine.

@kklownboy

OK, I might ask this again in the multiplayer section, if only when I can't find a solution here.

I usually test play with Warfare BE(Benny Edition)

@Hurricane

Yeah, I did think about fiddling around with the page file setting, setting it to its max.

But unfortunately as I found out, the PF setting was already on its max. (As it is a 32bit OS and I have a 4GB of physical memory - 4092MB is its max)

If I wanted to increase it further then Im going to need a 64bit OS.

Fortunately, Im planning to buy a Windows 7 when it comes out, so I will be able to run my dedi server on a 64bit OS soon enough.

Could this be it? and would this be the ONLY solution to the problem?

If anyones got a better solution then, Im always waiting.:bounce3:

Edited by TOTAL22

@kklownboy

OK, I might ask this again in the multiplayer section, if only when I can't find a solution here.

I usually test play with Warfare BE(Benny Edition)

@Hurricane

Yeah, I did think about fiddling around with the page file setting, setting it to its max.

But unfortunately as I found out, the PF setting was already on its max. (As it is a 32bit OS and I have a 4GB of physical memory - 4092MB is its max)

If I wanted to increase it further then Im going to need a 64bit OS.

Fortunately, Im planning to buy a Windows 7 when it comes out, so I will be able to run my dedi server on a 64bit OS soon enough.

Could this be it? and would this be the ONLY solution to the problem?

If anyones got a better solution then, Im always waiting.:bounce3:

you can set your page much bigger than your physical RAM amount... Do you have room on your HDD?

The canned Warfare missions (Superpowers, etc) have a nasty habit of crashing dedicated servers. I think it's simply a case of too much crap piling up to the point things just puke.

We can run a modified Domination maps for days. We can run CRCTI Warfare maps for days. But the canned Warfare maps crap out in a matter of hours (if not minutes).

Hope you have more luck that we did with it, but we gave up trying to run them. There's better missions out there anyway.....

@kklownboy

I havn't tried, so Ill try setting it to 8GB and see what happens.

I will report the results here.

@Thirdup

Maybe it is about the missions being too big, but also Im sure some servers out there can run them.

Therefore I want to play it im my server as well :)

I have never been on a warfare server that didn't eventually lag out..

I have set the Page file setting to 8GB max(8184MB to be prisise) and ran warfare.

The server did end up crashing but this time the error message showed some different values.

Out of memory (requested 2 KB)

Reserved 524288 KB

Total free 2 KB

Free blocks 1, Max size 2KB

I'm guessing this is supposed to be a good start.

I had a feeling with around 16 people connected at the time of the crash, it was doing quite well compaired to before.

Im now going to try increasing the max page file size to 12GB and well see what happens.

move to xp 64bit.....

it will solved your problme

its heppen to me too !

Hey 770fs

Good to hear there was someone out there with the same problem.

I'm sure I can't solve this out only by my self.

So, talking from your experiences, you just moved to a 64bit OS and the problem was gone?

No special settings or no nothing? More info about exactly what you did on your machine would be more than great.

Im sure it is NOT the most preffered solution, as it doesnt tell us any clue as to what the cause of the problem was.

But if it is the only solution out there, then I guess I just have to accept it.

Very fortunate solution for me though, in terms of the needs to buy a new 64bit OS.

Ive pre-ordered my windows 7 today :D

I am still seeking other solutions that might cure the problem so please keep them coming.

This thread is not only for solving my problem but also for others whos got the same problem.

With 12GB of page file, I have only decently played warfare only once yesterday and it has crashed, but it did not show the 'Out of memory' message.

I'll try further testing by playing warfare.

the second round with warfare BE.

It doesn't crash with 'Out of memory' but it does crash after abour 2hours 20minuites of playing. No error message.

Edited by TOTAL22

I had my page file on 16GB (double my RAM) and my client still crashes. Like it was said here before: things pile up until it's too much. My guess it's a memory leak.

the second try with warfare BE.

It crashed when playing for 3hours 20min. No error message.

@Hurricane

I see. So if your guess is correct, then we can do nothing about it unless BIS releases a 64bit OS compatible dedicated server .exe

I really hope BIS will work on this issue, as the days of 32bit OSes are going to end in a few years time :D

Ok, so Ill now give up trying to modify my PC but Im not going to give up playing warfare.

A work around for this issue may only be accomplished by editing Warfare BE, making it smaller.

As in terms of making numbers of active AIs much less, or somehow make the game end much earlier(at least within 3hours?).

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I had my page file on 16GB (double my RAM) and my client still crashes. Like it was said here before: things pile up until it's too much. My guess it's a memory leak.

Oh, wait.

Is it your CLIENT, or is it your SERVER crashing?

Edited by TOTAL22

Oh, wait.

Is it your CLIENT, or is it your SERVER crashing?

Client, but I'm pretty confident that it is the same case with the server.

I know a lot of dedicated servers crashing due to "out of memory", "access_violation" or "cannot commit".

On my machine I get the error because ArmA incorrectly detects the amount of VRAM I have.

Doesn't some of your system memory get shared with the video card? I have 4GB of RAM and a 512MB video card, yet dxdiag and the NVidia control panel both throw out total video memory as 2.3GB.

ErrorMessage: Out of memory (requested 1473 KB).

Reserved 425984 KB.

Total free 10186 KB

Free blocks 1053, Max free size 1071 KB

This is the CTD I get, yet arma2.exe still runs until I close it. (Happening with or without maxmem.)

Edited by bhaz

Our dedicated server seems to crash a lot too with warfare.

It also displays the "out-of-memory" message.

If BIS seriously wants to investigate this error then we can always provide details, specs etc.

Monk.

What I've seen is mostly the same tell trail, allot of object not found messages possibly filling up some buffer? Once this buffer hits the max size(294mb) I get a out of mem error. I'm at a loss to say what memory is being talked about here. Graphics card maybe?

part of ARMA.rpt

Client: Object 2:3187 (type Type_82) not found.

Client: Object 2:3195 (type Type_86) not found.

Client: Object 2:3194 (type Type_96) not found.

Client: Object 2:3194 (type Type_95) not found.

Client: Object 2:3196 (type Type_67) not found.

ErrorMessage: Out of memory (requested 7 KB).

Reserved 294912 KB.

Total free 0 KB

Free blocks 0, Max free size 0 KB

end of Arma.rpt

What I've seen is mostly the same tell trail, allot of object not found messages possibly filling up some buffer? Once this buffer hits the max size(294mb) I get a out of mem error. I'm at a loss to say what memory is being talked about here. Graphics card maybe?

part of ARMA.rpt

Client: Object 2:3187 (type Type_82) not found.

Client: Object 2:3195 (type Type_86) not found.

Client: Object 2:3194 (type Type_96) not found.

Client: Object 2:3194 (type Type_95) not found.

Client: Object 2:3196 (type Type_67) not found.

ErrorMessage: Out of memory (requested 7 KB).

Reserved 294912 KB.

Total free 0 KB

Free blocks 0, Max free size 0 KB

end of Arma.rpt

Yes. What settings are you playing with and what is the size of your video card?(512mb, 1GB, etc) If you are playing with Video Memory settings too high for your video card this will happen. If you have a 1GB card and you are trying to play with video memory and other settings on Very High, this crash will occur. Just try turning down that Video Memory setting, assuming it's your video card causing this.

GeForce GTX 260 896MB Memory, I've tried with memory settings on very high and high both crashed. Is it only the memory setting that plays a role in the crash or do I have to lower other settings too?

I got this error and it doesn't matter what graphics detail you use.

Also, a 1GB card should more than be capable to handle this game...

The optimal system specs on the box say that you need 512MB or more.

GeForce GTX 260 896MB Memory, I've tried with memory settings on very high and high both crashed. Is it only the memory setting that plays a role in the crash or do I have to lower other settings too?

I have the same card and use "Default" for vid memory and vary rarely crash