Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Arma2vsOFPDR

does anyone have both games yet? Ive been reading a lot into OFP DR, many people seem disapointed (I'm glad, because most of the ppl who are, are ARMA 2 haters :D) whats your view point? DR looks too much like Ghost Recon & Cod 4 mixed, Just my opinion tho... Plz dont delete this as they're no comparable threads yet.

I smell fire, and it should probably be moved to Offtopic.

Besides which alledged version of Ghost Recon is it supposed to look like again?

OFP: DR is apparantly very terrible, people are complaining on the forums and the game got reviews of:

5/10

4/10

3/6

Apparantly, very buggy, lot's o' scripting, missions break easy, worse driving than ArmA 2, terrible online, terrible AI (Again, worse than ArmA 2) and so on.

Despite all this the game has gotten some 9/10 reviews, so I'll be picking it up on release here.

And this thread is probably going to get locked like the others. :P

IB4TL!

I bought it on steam tonight.

FP looks almost identical to COD 4 graphics. I don't know what happened with those pre-release videos but I have this game maxxed to the ...........um max and while decent looking it is nothing special at all. Winner= ARMA II by a long shot.

FP controls are extremely console-fied (if that is even a word) in respect to issuing commands. Very clunky interface. However, ARMA II isn't much better and it's set up for a PC. :D

No lean and no TRACKIR SUPPORT!:(

Guns are laser like. ZERO sniper drift. I just finished an entire co-op map with sniper rifle and I could literally sprint for several hundred feet, stop and zero right on the head of an enemy at 300+ meters and drop him EVERY TIME. ZERO movement in the scope and bullet drop is very miniscule.

Kits are non-existent from what I can see. You get a pre-determined loadout and your stuck with it. Though I did get a scar with a thermal scope that was sweet.

FP movement seems very slow. Sprint seems like walk and walk seems like crawl. Kinda frustrating.

AI? My AI did exactly what I told them every time and were an asset, so in that respect the FP AI seem better to me than ARMAII.

Online FP..................I just have to put a ? for what online. No dedicated servers? Only 4 player hosted servers that I see atm, and most of those are playing campaign co-op. I see no real online to speak of ATM. Supposedly 16 v 16 max games with 3 gametypes though I haven't seen 1 yet.

So far IMHO Arma II blows FP DR out of the water in terms of gameplay, graphics and options. However, 99% of my squadmates quit playing ARMA II because of all the issues getting it to run on their rigs properly. They just gave up. So DR offers them a similar experience with less issues, albiet the graphics are very dumbed down.

For me on ARMA II maxxed out I get 30-70 FPS typically. On DR maxxed out I get between 100 and 150 FPS. for comparison but like I said before ARMA Ii is a much better looking game by far.

All in all to me FP DR feels like a very very dumbed down, stripped down, noobified version of ARMA II.

FP is much easier to play. I was gaming and owning within 5 minutes of install with zero issues. It is very hardware friendly and it should be with the ho hum graphics and would cater to casual players who don't have the time or patience for ARMA II which unfortunately is alot of players.

Edited by ICE-Raver

I played the new OF: DR at my friends for about 3-4 hours and while it was fun, it isnt half as good as ARMA2.

ARMA2 is definatly the winner.

ARMA2 = more realism, better editor, more exploration/open world, better online and is more fun

Operation Flashpoint: DR = Better out of the box campaign and thats it.

ARMA2 = 9/10 or 9.5/10

Operation Flashpoint: DR = 7/10

I have both. I've been playing both. First and foremost. The game runs seamlessly. Is extremely non-run and gun and offers a lot towards both casual and hardcore players. So far DR has blown me away. I'm about half way through with the campaign. Me and a couple other friends have been blasting away at it all day.

Those few reviews came from CZ magazines. Maybe one from somewhere else. I've forgotten. Every other review has been fairly high. the UK pcgamer + some others etc.

Really though, it depends on your preference in games. While DR still has a Sim feel and core, it maintains the excitement and immersion that a great title should. I'm having a blast. The sound is amazing in every aspect. The graphics aren't the best, but they are also not nearly the worst. In fact, they're pretty up to date of what you'd expect.

Some bad notes are the dedicated servers. Also some bugs, i.e sometimes bodies dissappearing.

To leave on a note, this game is definately worth the money and time. It's quite an experience.