Sign in to follow this  
1ID-Jenkins

Infantry Modelling Questions

Hey all, just wondering if any of you folk can give me some answers to a couple questions with regards to creating models for infantry units;

1. In ArmA2 the engine seems to randomly choose different faces and textures for units, any information on how this works?

2. I've been looking at the sample models released by BI, the head and body are seperate and I wonder if thats how I'd have to model any infantry units I'd be making or would I just merge head and body into one model?

That's it for now, though I'll probably think up some more as I work my way deeper into this subject; Thanks in advance for any help

The head is a proxy. You can use the head model, but it's kind of counter-productive. And yes, the units are randomly chosen unless the identity is defined the missions description.ext file.

I see, so when I'm using the proxy I'd need to hide the joint (or lack of) between the head and body right? Using a collar or something, but if I wanted a flush connection between the head and body I'd be okay having the two attached?

Yea that's what I did. Just put the proxy in, and hide the parts that would be exposed because it's not a complete "model" per-se.

Edited by Binkowski

Also remember that the head proxy model has only lods 1.000 and 2.000, for other lods you'll need an actual low poly head model. This can be taken from example soldier.p3d released a while ago. Low poly heads should match whatever head model you choose in unit config.

For NAPA units BIS has rushed the job and placed bare heads to lower lods even though lods 1.000 and 2.000 use head with a balaclava, so don't repeat that mistake ;).

For NAPA units BIS has rushed the job and placed bare heads to lower lods even though lods 1.000 and 2.000 use head with a balaclava, so don't repeat that mistake ;).

Actually, in some cases for the Chdk Militia fighters, the lower LODs have no head what so ever :p

The proxy method is definately the way to go, as then its simply a matter of a adding/changing a line in the config, allowing you to use the same unit model and have different types of unit e.g. one wearing a balaclava, one wearing camo paint, one who looks like Cooper from the main campaign etc.

EDIT:

To explain that further, the config line you would use is

identityTypes[] = {""};

Known examples for use with this config command are (and there may be more, I'm just copy-pasting from the games config, so I'll probably end up missing some):

"USMC_Glasses"
"Head_USMC"
"Head_USMC_CO"
"Head_USMC_Camo"
"LHD_glasses"
"FR_Glasses"
"Miles"
"Cooper"
"Sykes"
"Ohara"
"Rodriguez"

"RU_Glasses"
"Head_RU"
"Head_RU_CO"
"Head_RU_Camo"

"INS_Glasses"
"Head_INS"
"Head_GUE"

""CDF_Glasses"
"Head_CDF"
"Head_CDF_CO"

"Head_CIV"
"Civ_Glasses" 
"Civ_SunGlasses"

"Woman"
"Woman_Young"
"Woman_Old"
"Wife"
"Farmwife"
"Damsel"
"Hooker"
"SportsWoman"
"Secretary"
"Valentina"
"Language_w_CZ"
"Language_w_RU"

"pilot_sunglasses"

"Language_RU"
"Language_CZ"

Some of them I've used, some of them I haven't so don't ask me what is special about each one, because for the most-part I haven't used them. But play around and experiment with them ingame.

Edited by Jackal326

While on this subject guys, can anyone tell me how to 'rig' characters for use ingame.

I have some character models I want to use ingame, just to figure out a workflow at the moment, but I don't know how to approach getting them ingame with regards to the bones being attached to the mesh.

I've a feeling that I need to name certain selections of verticies (most likely in czech) so that the bones know what part of the model to animate, but like I said, I've no idea how to go about this, and I've never seen a tutorial.

Can anyone explain hat to do? Or perhaps kindly post a link to a tutorial?

Much thanks

Guy

I rigged a model for A2 and found the easiest way to do it way get one of the US soldiers from the ARMA1 sample models (or the A2 Russian troops model) and place it to the side of the units I wanted to rig, then i went through each selection individually seeing which bits on the sample model were higlighted so I could do the same on mine.