Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBravo

Devils Castle

Hey everyone,

This is my latest mission. It is a coop (up to 8 players).

You are in charge of Bravo team, a highly trained assasin team. You are to drop behind enemy lines and assasinate an enemy leader then make it back to base in one piece.

Getting the enemy leader is a tough task that requires planning and teamwork. But getting back to base in one piece is another issue!

If are sucessful in assisanting enemy leader you will be hunted down like a running fox. Enemy AI wil use vehicles and DOGS to track you down. Not only the dogs will track you down but if they catch you they will rip you to pieces! (if you do not get shot 100 times first)

Addons needed:

Sen Weapons: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6345

Fast Rope: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5791

Desert/Black Ops Units: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6471

Mission V.97:

Armaholic: - Devil's Castle Co-08 (@)

FileFronT: - http://www.filefront.com/14662571/CO%2008%20Devils_Castle.Chernarus.rar

This mission can be played in SP but coop is recommended as team play is crucial for success!

I welcome feed back. My success ratio is about 30%. I am curious how everyone else finishes!

Ahh .. and if you hear dogs RUN for your life! ;)

Edited by CaptainBravo

Hey Bravo,

Two of us gave it a quick go without managing completing it. Some points:

>Great mission idea/design.

>We generally avoided the patrols which appeared to be concentrated on the southern approaches to the castle. Entering from the North a few times enabled us to get to the walls undetected. Getting inside was another matter however.

>The only time we killed the commander was on an eastern approach. The commander (plus a few others) made a very surprising 'sallied forth' coming out to the treeline where we were scouting. We were surprised by this as we considered he would be bunkered up inside the castle. After we killed him, all hell broke loose (prompted by the message). We exited south-east from where we were (just east of the castle) and evaded two large groups converging on the castle purely by chance.

>We noted a truck somewhere further south-south-east. This had presumably dropped a squad. We took the truck and headed generally south.

>The density of patrols was great, which made it pretty difficult. Truck was under fire a few times from unseen assailants (we play expert).

>We made it about half-way south before meeting our waterloo when a close encounter with a armed 4x4 went wrong.

>We made perhaps 7-8 attempts. The final attempt where we met the commander we brought in the AI for 'backup'.

Possible ideas:

>Not sure if the commander was meant to sally out of the castle? If possible lock him down inside a bunker or something.

>Noted that there is "400-500 soldiers" in the area? Is this true!? Certainly seemed possible given the density we saw and the cpu/ram usage.

>Believe the squad (8-10 guys) dropped by the truck moved towards the castle, the stopped allowing us to evade them. Perhaps get them to generally head south or start tracking after the initial convergence on the castle.

>Get a random chopper to do a patrol over the major roads just to keep it interesting!

>Also if possible the standard revive would be good. Everytime we were hit it = death.

Once again, great mission, look forward to tackling it again soon!

Cheers,

Edited by plundera

Hey plundera,

Thank you for trying the mission and the detailed feedback.

The commander is not supposed to leave his heavily guarded location and that is why he has disable AI move. So it is odd if he moved :confused:

I will check on it and apply extra measures to make sure he stays put in the future.

I will tweak the timing of AI truck unloading troops.

Have you had a run with the groups with tracking tracking dogs?

Out of curiousty, how did you deal with the killer dogs at enemy base?

I am working on updated version that will have a couple of new features (including ammo drop) as if you end up engaged in a battle with enemy and survive you will most likely need ammo.

The mission does have 300-400 enemy troops (although they are not on map at the same time to save on performance) depending on how stealthy your group is..

Thank you for the feed back and I shall update soon.

I am not sure if I added in mission briefing but you have the ability as squad leader to divid team into fire teams controlled by teammates (or AI using High Command) All you have to do is select units you want in new group, select communications then select seperate from group. And do same when yuo want them joining the group again. It can help with planning if you will approach from different directions and improves chances if you have 2 teams to use (cover & withdraw) tactics

I played it SP this evening, but I was mostly just checking it out and not trying very hard. Of course, with me it doesn't matter if I try very hard because I'm not very good. That's what happens when an old man tries to do young man stuff.

Anyway, this is a cool mission. I knew I would die and I did. Twice, in fact. But I like the mission and the rather unique problems one needs to solve to succeed.

I got a message that the enemy commander had been killed. Did that mean that I just needed to get back to the exfil point and get out of Dodge? Not that it mattered, because I died again.

Hi Bravo,

Re: Commander. We weren't at all aware we had killed him until we received the message. As I mentioned there was an shootout at the treeline near the castle on our approach, and subsequent we got the 'commander dead' message. This may have been a outlier event or something.

Have you had a run with the groups with tracking tracking dogs?

Out of curiousty, how did you deal with the killer dogs at enemy base?

The only time we killed the commander was on the last attempt (will update you once we have played more times). As we fled in panic I didn't notice any dogs. We evaded two large groups (one I think was 'gangsta's') by 'hiding' in between them as they conveged on the castle. This was roughly south-east of the castle perhaps 750m.

The dogs in the enemy base were tough on account of their silent but violent attack. While the woofing was obvious I didn't recall any 'scurrying' sounds informing us of impending doom, and my teamate wasn't watching the front (!) at the point they got through (I was rearguard). They got me a couple times but my teamate was able to get them afterwards. Pretty cool foe to tangile with.

I am working on updated version that will have a couple of new features (including ammo drop) as if you end up engaged in a battle with enemy and survive you will most likely need ammo.

Sounds good. Plundering guns from dead enemies is also an option obviously. This is what we would naturally do in the event of low ammo.

The mission does have 300-400 enemy troops (although they are not on map at the same time to save on performance) depending on how stealthy your group is..

Nice. We really enjoy scenarios with suprises and the general theme of 'against overwhelming odds' so 400 vs 2-4 intuitively appeals. Certainly noticed a 'heavy' density of enemies in the truck on the way out. I use atiTOOL to track CPU/GPU/MEM et al stats. It was cool to see CPU/MEM spike after the commander was killed...this is generally a good indication that the 'sheet' has hit the fan in ARMA2.

Once again awesome mission, looking forward to the update and attempting it again. Cheers :)

I have recieved a few requests for the updated version of Devils Castle. So after long due here is the latest version of Devils Castle.

What has changed with v2:

- The AI is more dynamic, utilizing GL4 (Group Link 4). So AI will be a bit more unpredictable and tougher in combat. This adds more importance to stealth vs John Wayne approach!

- Hunt Groups:Hunting groups with KILLER dogs and working flash lights! If you see lights in the woods know it is not a truck :)

- You have the option to recieve ammo drop from HQ in mission.

- Reduced addons dependency. Only addon needed is GL4 which can be found at:

Download at: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8848

This is acoop mission and is strongly recommended to be played by at least 3 human players as your AI teammates will not shoot killer dogs (must be animal rights!).

As always I look forward to any constructive feed back.

Mission:

FileFront: http://www.filefront.com/15436387/CO8%20Devils%20Castle%20v2.Chernarus.pbo

Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7768

Edited by CaptainBravo

I do not use ACE .. but if you can play vanilla missions on ACE then you should be able to play this mission. Only addon needed is GL4.

Let me know how it plays in ACE.

Cheers.

Would love to get some time off and do a round of DC with you guys again. :) The updates seems great Bravo. Good job mate.

Thanks Alex, I appreciate it.

Curious, have you tried with ACE? If so, notice any difference?