Sign in to follow this  
Pathy

P:UKF Challenger 2.

Noticed on the Challenger 2 that when you recieve very little damage the crew bail out and get mowed down by gunfire. Just kinda find it annoying, as the challenger is supposed to be one of the most powerful combat tanks in the world, the m1a2 can take more damage before the troops bail and it is by all standards an outdated vehicle compared to the challenger 2. Is there a specific config settin that can be altered perhaps so the crew dont bail, perhaps passthrough? dont mean to hijack but any ideas may be useful.

There quite probably is something that _could_ be done, but as stated above it's not something we'll be looking at in the near future - we're quite busy putting the finishing touches to some other vehicles at present so keep an eye on the forums for some imminent releases ;)

would you mind terribly if i took a bash at fixing things on this a little? I won't release anything of course just for my own idle curiosity. If i can do anything to address some of the issues on the forum i will pass the model etc back to you.

I've just been having a fiddle, and I reckon the bailing problem is a result of the tracks being very easily damaged (i.e. two mags of 5.56 will render one useless). Once one goes, the crew go "fuck, we're immobile" and dive out, even though the turret and hull are still tip-top.

@Steve, cheers I'll take a look in the next couple of weeks and if it's driving enough people nuts put out an interim fix. (Although the tracks used to be very hard to damage... perhaps it's related to the 1.05 changes?)

Edited by BennyBoy

I think it's always been like that. I remember the AI diving out well before 1.05.

Neggers Steve, it used to be tough as boots, although the AI would bail well before the tank was ready to brew up. However, I did play with passthrough alot and I suspect with recent patches some value I played with before that had no effect at the time is probably now allowing easy destruction of the tracks.

will look at it when I get chance.

Edited by BennyBoy

Looking at the config values of the M1A2 then i noticed passthrough is set to 1 also the armour is 1600... compared to the T90 which is 900 (T-90 still nails the challenger 2 btw - but not the T72, Tusk also nails it (sigh), these are based on a one to one airfield shoot out on UTES, possibly the TUSK armour values could be upgraded on as a basis for the CR2 (only an idea) - noticed also the main gun on the CR2 is abit underpowered - seemingly the only CR2 killed in action in the gulf war was a Blue on Blue by another CR2. Not trying to make the challenger godlike ( although I am biased ) just a bit of input hope it helps. And thx bennyboy for making the time to take another look at it - it is an awesome piece of kit. Thanks again.

Edited by Jingle

It's worth noting that the Chally 2 that was knocked out by friendly fire was the victim of an incredible fluke; if I remember correctly, a HESH round struck the commander's hatch lid, which was open.

It's worth noting that the Chally 2 that was knocked out by friendly fire was the victim of an incredible fluke; if I remember correctly, a HESH round struck the commander's hatch lid, which was open.

There was also that CR2 that got shagged by an EFP IED, by all accounts it was a bloody big one though. And it's nothing compared to the amount of IEDs/RPGs/HMG rounds soaked up by CR2 callsigns throughout Op Telic.

Looking at the config values of the M1A2 then i noticed passthrough is set to 1 also the armour is 1600... compared to the T90 which is 900 (T-90 still nails the challenger 2 btw - but not the T72, Tusk also nails it (sigh), these are based on a one to one airfield shoot out on UTES, possibly the TUSK armour values could be upgraded on as a basis for the CR2 (only an idea) - noticed also the main gun on the CR2 is abit underpowered - seemingly the only CR2 killed in action in the gulf war was a Blue on Blue by another CR2. Not trying to make the challenger godlike ( although I am biased ) just a bit of input hope it helps. And thx bennyboy for making the time to take another look at it - it is an awesome piece of kit. Thanks again.

Really? When this addon was released, the Chally was tougher than any BIS tank, and the main gun was just about as powerful (the KE rounds are slightly less effective than from the M1A1's Smoothbore gun due to the rifling, I can post a very long, technically detailed explanation of this but i'd prefer if you'd just take my word.)

What addons/modifications are you running to have these results? As according the BIS config values in my folder the M1A1 has 850 armour, & the TUSK is configged with 900 armour, not 1600.....t90 (found it) is 800. I'm afraid if you're using some other addon, and the maker has decided to 'trump' the CR2s values with their addons, i'm not going to 'up' mine to match. I'm scaling according to BIS values.

Edit: On a hunch I depbo'd ACE's vehicle settings config and found the aforementioned 1600 armour value for the TUSK M1A1. I don't wish to sound cold but frankly if you're measuring off of ACE values, then it's not my problem, it's ACE's. Take it up with the ACE team. I can't config the Chally to fit in with ACE and as a result, make it so tough for none-ACE users that it's unusable in missions.

Edited by Pathy

Fair enough pathy. Yes ofc I double checked and I was looking at ace values so Ill leave the subject matter alone. Best of luck with future releases, and thanks again for such a nice addon.

Cheers. We may still look at fixing any issues with relation to default ArmA2 (ie, tracks being too weak), but as you understand, it's impossible to make this fit in with every other addon out there, and still be reasonable in vanilla mode.

Would it be plausible to make two versions? For groups that predominantly use either vanilla ArmA2 or ACE2?

Theres nothing stopping you from making a seperate PBO containing just a config that "calls" the model and redefines the armour values. Kinda like how ACE modifies stuff. ;)

Edited by Pathy

Yeah i had to stop using the tank since ace came out :( its very weak first shot from enemy tank disables tracks and my crew bail on me... if anyone fixes the values please release them i have no idea what any of it means :D

The weapon's pack update was absolutely awesome, hopefully there'll be something for the Challenger as well ?

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but the treads are flipped; when you move forwards, the treads spin in the opposite direction. The road wheels are fine, though.

Kinda makes me feel like I'm moonwalking. :D

Since someone already bumped this I thought Id ask as well if there's gonna be a n update for OA or if PUKF are working on a new model or something?

Just saw this bad boy...

That Chally that took the Milan... That was Cyclops Sqn, 2 RTR, Callsign 31... I had to take the fuel bags out of it in Germany when we sent it home... Vickers was pissed that it penetrated... My mate was the gunner and the only thing that they saw was smoke and crap in the turret... I was in C/S 31, Falcon Sqn...

Hoofin good time...

Once our internet Nazi is asleep I'll be DL this badger as soon as! NICE!!! Looks so shiny and clean! Like we had em before that shi**y fleet management came onto the scene, stupid pencil jockeys...

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

"and the main gun was just about as powerful (the KE rounds are slightly less effective than from the M1A1's Smoothbore gun due to the rifling, I can post a very long, technically detailed explanation of this but i'd prefer if you'd just take my word.)"

Arg!?

The L30 CHARM is in no way shape or form weaker then the stupid Yank tank and it's smoothbore mate... Never... I worked on CR2 for six years and deployed on Telic one in 2003...

In Lulworth I watched one of our wagons fire over the side decks through a 200m berm and still hit dead center of the target...

Furthermore... The reason we don't use trace on our FIN rounds is because they go faster then stink and you couldn't see it anyways... If your standing in the range tower in Germany on a cold day you can see the grass burn behind the rounds... I can't talk about all the details and the muzzle velocity, but trust me when I say the L30 CHARM would eat any stupid smoothbore crap for breakfast...

The only reason Yanks and Germans turned to smoothbore is for one piece ammo to increase speed of loading and to fire missiles... They don't fire missiles and when I was an Operator I could load a 3 piece round in 3 seconds!!! That's faster then any gunner can sort out his engagement sequence...

On paper the M1 series is the best tank ever to grace our fine earth, but on the battlefield... They eat way too much, fire soft rounds, go up in flames like the old Shermans and are crewed by mongs who need winets to sort out any problems they have!

I've seen it with my own two eyes... As I write this from the Middle East's 'loudest' area...

I was a gunnery instructor on CR2... You need to know anything, (within reason) and taking COMSEC and PERSEC into consideration I can help you out...

Other then that... Can't wait to try this out... Mind you ACE 2 will more then likely make it unworkable... Maybe I'll mess around with some values...

Oh... here's a good one... fired a FIN through the front plate on a '72... It went through the front out the back into the front of the one we put behind it and through the back of that one too... Absolutely stellar!

Edited by sabelzahntiger

Sorry to dig this one up from the old tombs but it is one of my favourite addons ever. I havent been able to find it in the editor as there is no UKF Tracked entry. Could anyone help me please. I am using arma 2 CO with the latest official patch.

If I remember right it's under uk armed forces > ukf tracked

I recently finished an internal upgrade to oa/ace standards for this tank (ace FCS, primary + aux gunners sights, togs, smoke launchers, etc) we're unsure on what to do with it release wise as Chris has recently been quite busy, but hopefully people will get to have a go

Edited by DaveP

Thats the problem I get no subheading of ukf tracked under uk armed forced only get ukf wheeled..

@DaveP

I you need any info mate on the Chally 2 that isn't "Secret", I did almost seven years on the beast... Let me know... Cheers!