UKF_chally2.pbo

Readme

Requires:

UKF_Misc.pbo

UKF_Shared.pbo

This addon will give you Woodland and Desert versions of the following;

FV4034 Challenger 2.

FV4034 Challenger 2 w/ Layer 1 Armour.

FV4034 Challenger 2 w/ Layer2 Armour, inc RPG fencing.

For various reasons this addon is incomplete, and has been released in an 'as is' state. At this point in time, there will be no future updates and fixes after the initial release.

A Note on Armour Values:

In real life combat situations, the Challenger 2 has been known to have taken hits from 40+ anti tank weapons (including, rumour has it, a Milan) and come out the other end without too much damage and a safe crew. It is considered by some to be the best protected tank in NATOs arsenal. However, because BIS doesn't model penetration, making the Chally able to take 48 RPG hits in ArmA2 also means it ends up taking a T72 15+ rounds to kill it, which needless to say is ridiculous.

Striking a balance between gameplay, realism, and at the same time trying to compensate for BIS' crappy damage system has been a headache all along, and was one of the focuses of our now infamous internal testing. In ArmA1 we'd settled on having the Challenger easy to K kill (knock out the gun, tracks, view ports, etc), but hard to destroy. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me reproduce the same damage effects in ArmA2 - it's impossible to take out the Main Gun, for example.

I am not sure whether I am missing something, or ArmA2 is, but regardless, the result is that our previous balance position is no longer tenable; you can no longer K-kill it, aside from taking out the tracks, and it just ends up being tough with no real drawbacks. I've tried to settle on a midground, where like it's real life counterpart it's not easily killable by RPGs, however it can't stand up to more than a couple of KE 120mm rounds (dependant, of course, on the version).

Long story short is, I know in advance the toughness will come up for debate. It's a pointless debate to have, because you cannot model realistic armour values into this game with the current damage system. The best we can do is settle for a compromise, and i've tried to be as reasonable as possible whilst still maintaining the spirit of the beast that is the Challenger 2 - ie, one tough mother****er!

Known Bugs and issues:

Unfortunately there are....lots.

I'm actually not going to list them, because once you notice them they'll annoy you forever :) It's best you don't see em! ;)

I will actually do quick fixes (read, config updates) for any game breakers that pop up, but it should be OK. *fingers crossed*

The main issue is of course, that it looks ugly as sin and could use a new model and new textures!

Credits:

Chris (Pathy) - Model tweaks, LODs, UV unwrapping and Textures, Sounds, Config & Animations.

Jtec - Main Model & Wheel Textures.

Messiah - GPMG

RKSL - General help.

DK - General help.

Special thanks to Gaz for invaluable advice and feedback along the way.

EULA:

By downloading this content you agree to the following End User License Agreement:

1) Ownership and Permissions.

1.1 The content of the download is sole intellectual property of P:UKF and it's creators.

1.2 You shall in no way modify, repackage or reserve engineer any of the content of the .pbo files included in this download, without first receiving prior permission from P:UKF.

1.3 You agree with this EULA that, should you modify said content without permission or otherwise breach this EULA, you are liable to prosecution in a UK Court of Law, under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act, 1988.

1.4 This content is provided for entertainment purposes. You may not use this addon for commercial, military or teaching/training purposes.

2) Distribution.

2.1 You may distribute the .pbo files within this download freely, so long as the .pbo files are unmodified (see 1.2), and the Readme File, including this EULA, is attached.

Mirrors:

VOLCBAT - Challenger 2

VOLCBAT - UKF Misc

VOLCBAT - UKF Shared

Chally and Support files Combined Mirror @ RKSL Studios

Armaholic Mirror.

As always, enjoy.

Edited by Pathy

neat first comment muahahah

Edit: NICE :D

And you waste it by not saying anything nice ;)

Edit: Much better! :D

Edited by Pathy

Well done Pathy, DLing as I type, looks absolutely brilliant even if there are bugs, even if the armour values made the CR2 the worst tank in ARMA i'd still take it over anything else :)

EDIT: lol at the other edits :D

Nice release :)

I know you know more than me on this subject, but is the penetration issue really unsolvable? I mean, if it were possible to intercept or otherwise prevent the current hit system from controlling the destruction, or the hit boxes were made up/surrounded by a compound object(s) and script controlled, even if that meant a large CPU hit, do you really think there is literally no solution?

Nice release :)

I know you know more than me on this subject, but is the penetration issue really unsolvable?

Scripted solutions are possible with ArmA 2, but the members of UKF who have been active over the past two or three months aren't much in the way of scripting geniuses.

Nice Boat's penetration system appeared too late to really effect Chris' work on the CR2's armour (which as stated is a transference of what was tested for ArmA 1, a game that lacked such authority over projectile impacts). However, something along the lines of his system would almost certainly have been pursued, had development continued in ArmA 2: as would a proper gunnery system, and additional defensive systems such as smoke-screens.

Chris was pretty keen on looking to include anything that would help to incorporate the capabilities of the real Challenger 2; which is why BIS's default damage system is so maligned in his post.

Lovely tank, now with stalkers RMC's, the new UKF weapons, and this chally, we're pretty damn close to having a respectable British presence in the game :)

Awesome work! I love the Challenger, thanks for this!

Hmm, it's fine for me, try redownloading?

Excellent, works perfectly for me.

Just need a decent replacement for these bloody MARPATs...

I've been playing with it for a while and the tank it's self is great, but the AI keeps acting really weird :/

I give the tank a waypoint and one guy always jumps out of the chally and runs with the tank, then at the waypoint they all get out and stare into the abyss... lolwut

Hmm, curious problem you have. Can anyone else reproduce this AI problem? I just tried my end and they follow waypoints no problem, same for group orders.

I've been playing with it for a while and the tank it's self is great, but the AI keeps acting really weird :/

I give the tank a waypoint and one guy always jumps out of the chally and runs with the tank, then at the waypoint they all get out and stare into the abyss... lolwut

lol thats a hilarious bug, I havent seen this yet so far its fun :D

thanks for the great release, even with the bugs :)

It's a very beautiful model in motion, really impressive. Is there any hope that you or someone you nominate will complete the configuration? With the HandleDamage event we can now model any penetration system we want.

It's a very beautiful model in motion, really impressive. Is there any hope that you or someone you nominate will complete the configuration? With the HandleDamage event we can now model any penetration system we want.

Well if anyone feels they can complete what i've started, feel free to sling me a PM. I had actually planned to release the Chally for ArmA1, but at around the same time as I started talking about releases, I had an offer of some scripting. Alas, he promised me the world, took me on romantic cruises, then fled into the night. Well, not quite, but you get the picture. All promise, no results. Anyway, point being that if anyone feels like putting in a fire control system, penetration, engine smoke generators, or any of that fancy stuff that was meant to be in it, come and have a chat as i'd be 100% behind it.

amaizing work as always guys! looking forward to the rest of your releases, especially the jackels! :D