889 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like?

• Jungle, seas, islands
    • Mountains, rivers, lakes, forests
    • Big residental areas
    • Snow lands
    • Alien worlds, fantasy
    • Deserts and rocky areas

There are couple of islands WIP (work in progress) now and only few got released so far. Creators would like to know what would you like to see, what kind of terrain do you prefer?

Do you like Euro like terrain as Chernarus, forests, rivers and mountains in Panthera, deserts and rocky terrain as we saw in Isla Barbuda (A1) and Tonal (OFP)? Do you miss big towns like we saw on Tatawin, Sahrani and all Opteryx maps? Tell us.

---

I'm currently working on:

Island Panthera - finishing up v2.2 with all the bugfixes and improvements. Status: 99%

Isla Duala - two countries in war on two major islands with a lot of smaller ones with fishing villages, deep jungle areas and some deserts/vulcanic areas in the non-water areas. Status: 30%.

Isla Terra - miniature version of a real world, Status: 10%.

Edited by IceBreakr

A map based from somewhere in Alaska would be cool.

Mostly snow covered with the,

- occasional small town, research facilty depots

- Oil mine/rig

- Airstrips/runway but not major one just one just with snow surface.

Australian outback! :p Nice mix of beaches, snowy mountains (Yes there are some), deserts, forests etc.

New Zealand map would be good too.

Also, a French countryside snowy map.

I like Panthera very much,especially the mountains but I would like to see more detail on that island,Arma 2 buildings and more detail to villages\towns.

BIS made excellent work with villages and adding little details here and there that makes a simple village more life-like,but Chernarus is mostly hilly,a few big mountains wouldn't have hurt.

I guess I'm more of Euro terrain fan,lakes,nice rivers,huge mountains covered with forests and snowy peaks with detailed villages and a few big towns.I prefer fewer villages\towns but with Arma 2 detail in them instead of 40 villages with some random houses scattered around,brakes the immersion for me and I'm thinking no one will ever live in these boxes.

For the big towns I'm thinking something two times bigger then Cernogorsk but with the same detail and building style.I know lag it's a problem with such big cities,but even if we would have one or two big ones I'll be happy.

I also hate desert terrain,too bland,sand dunes,a few bushes and crappy buildings and that's it.

Also I would like winter Chernarus.:)

A winter island

A deserty mountain island (like Afghanistan)

All with all buildings enterable like in Panthera would be great.

Post updated with poll at the top, please vote. Thanks.

I would love a map like Tonal (or even an upgraded port). I used to love that place the lush rolling savannah and dense jungle areas in the same map, the lonely villages with mudhuts and the feeling of blazing heat. Such a great map to play on a rainy day in the UK. Are there any tonal alikes that i have missed?

colligpip: I cannot seem to remember all the details, can you provide us with a birds eye shot of the island, jungle areas etc? Theres not a single photo of Tonal map on net or at least I cannot find it.

Hi Icebreakr,

i really like panthera and have had alot of fun with it so far. having most of the building enterable is icing on the cake. i am a huge warfare fan and panthera makes it very difficult to build bases except at the expected locations. ive done some experimenting with warfare ports to it so this would be my only complaint. i really like the idea of island duala and terra for large scale warfare fun. how was the play on tatawin? it looked fantastic but with such a large town i assumed the ai would all get stuck.

Gutm@sher: yeah, bases can only be build at 4 of the airports (N,W,S,E) other locations are pretty full ;) if you have any tips leave me a PM and I can clear up couple of locations for new release?

p.s. it seems I forgot to add "Deserts and rocky areas" to the poll, can mod fix that? tnx.

Hi IceBreakR

I miss a bit some Winter (snow) islands. The old OFP snow Islands had some particular fascination. I loved them. Therefore I'm opting to vote for the snow winter islands.

Best regards

nettrucker

I would like to have a small map centered around a major city. Like Chernogorsk but 2-4 times bigger. Just enough land outside the city to have an assault force or to perhaps deploy troops to slow the advancing hordes after the city has been captured. If possible I'd like to see docks and one assault-able beach.

European island/map with forrest, hills, villages and small town. Maybe some ponds or lakes here and there or other natural obstacles. Island should be AI friendly and not designed for only very few scenarious/mission types.

Winter island/map incl weather and sound effects would be very nice. :)

Large open areas where terrain features really dominate. Chernarus, while the most realistic map i've witnessed so far, really lacks distinctive areas of the map.

I'd love any map containing the following: natural choke points such as river fords, valleys, mountain passes, etc. Large open areas such as deserts or grassy plains where control of high points is vital. Some detailed areas with urban or tree cover to provide respite if either side has air superiority. And generally some big flat-ish areas with plenty of cover (concealment not so much) in the form of rocks and ditches for big combined arms battles - without tripping over a mountain, valley, city or forest every few meters.

My vote goes to Desert and Rocky areas.

Oh and either a coastline or an airfield long enough to accommodate most fast air.

As far as the "Real World" goes, I agree with Sushjake... A reduced scale Cyprus would make a great "Malden/Mediterranean-style" island.

I worked there for 2 years in 2001/2 - trying to teach archaeology students the difference between Bronze-Age tombs and gun emplacements (both holes in the ground, but you'd think the concreted AA gun mount would be a dead giveaway). We had the local (Argentinian) UN guys in a panic every day - field surveying in minefields and wandering close enough to the Green Line to have the Turks overfly us with choppers now and then...

The abandoned airport to the north...

Nicosia - like a mini Berlin - it's own Checkpoint Charlie... the buildings along the "Neutral Zone" still pockmarked with small arms fire 30 years later, and - just to the North of the city - bulldozed into the mountainside half a mile across - a giant Turkish flag that says to everyone in the South that sees it "We took half your country and you ain't getting it back!"...

All of this in that classic gorgeous sunny Mediterranean climate...

Actually - it all sounds very like Sahrani !!

On a more practical note - we all know we're gonna be playing this game for years... our rigs will improve, BIS will optimise (a bit, hopefully), and eventually we'll all be able to play the hyper-detailed (and, as someone mentioned - somewhat "samey") Chernarus...

Meantime, CAA1 and Sahrani, and various other A1 islands have proved very popular due to the lesser object density, etc...

Personally I've been fooling around mostly on Sahrani and Panthera - although, as several others have mentioned - I do feel that Panthera could use a little "strategic decluttering" to provide a bit more room for manoeuvres, and also keep it from wandering into the "laggy" category for average-equipped players...

(Bearing in mind that islands have a long "shelf-life", and - a year from now - "laggy" may well be redefined)...

I think that to a certain extent, we're in danger of becoming too attached to "real world terrain"... Sure, satellite data is "instantly believable" - it IS real world terrain after all, and at some points the landscape provides excellent areas for combat, but - in the Real World - such spots can be few and far between (see Chernarus for example).. it's best not to forget that this IS a "sandbox", albeit a Very Big one...

We want...

...any map containing the following: natural choke points such as river fords, valleys, mountain passes, etc. Large open areas such as deserts or grassy plains where control of high points is vital. Some detailed areas with urban or tree cover to provide respite if either side has air superiority. And generally some big flat-ish areas with plenty of cover (concealment not so much) in the form of rocks and ditches for big combined arms battles - without tripping over a mountain, valley, city or forest every few meters.
and we want all of that within a (relatively) small area...

Few places in the real world have such variety (impressively - Panthera is close! a 20% lower-lying deforestation might not conform to the real world, but would make it considerably more "playable")...

The later BIS islands - Novoga and Sahrani - followed the idea of a big island with a variety of terrains - not entirely real-world lifelike - but providing a wide range of choices for the mission maker - which, in the end - is what islands are FOR...

A final PS... Water!!!

As I said before... I've been fooling with Panthera a bit, making a couple of mini-missions for friends.. their rigs aren't exactly top of the line so their reactions run something like this...

"WoW! Look at the terrain! it's Beauuutifulll!!!"

"Hmmm...my framerate ain't superhot... hope you didn't add too many units"

"LOOK! A RIVER!!! I didn't think that was possible!!! How the hell do we get over there?? WHY DIDN'T YOU ADD SOME BOATS??"

So I add boats, and everybody spends all their time sailing around going "wow" a lot...

People LIKE boats, and water... it's a great "natural barrier" or "logistics problem" and ... it's... fun...

Sahrani had water but few boats, Chernarus has a few more boats, but only a dreary coastline to sail along - or land on, and that's about it...

**EDIT**

Back in my Cyprus days, when I wasn't nursemaiding students, I was supposed to be making a GIS map of large areas of Cyprus, using the at that time deeply impressive Satellite Data from ASTER and LANDSAT (7, I think)...

Anyway - that was back in those happy OFP days, before Real World Terrain was fashionable...

I actually had a go putting Cyprus into OFP... I've just had a root around my (very old) HD and found some stuff...

making_cyprus.jpg

It seems I still have a bunch of screenshots and files...

I ain't promising anything, but maybe I'll install the new Visitor and see if there's anything usable... :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

a large real world airport/airstation.

A realistically sized airport/military air station would be bigger than Utes. It should have all the features of a real air station: barracks, hangers, chow hall, maintenance facilities, administration buildings, mwr facilities like bowling alley, exchange, golf course, softball fields etc.

I work aboard Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach, VA and often think what a wonderful Arma2 map it would be.

Edited by {USI}_Zombie

here's a link to tonal one of the best islands for ofp and the addon that got me back into BIS games. there was a campaign for it I cant remember its name but it really drew me in so atmospheric.

Edited by colligpip

hi, i would like to request a heavy winter map! since im making a some what large snow mod(with all snow vehicles) it might give my mod a new home? something with some kinda modern airbase\airstrip, research\scientific outposts...and maby something for the bad guys(so we can launch missions to take it over...lol)!

also i love the afgan maps...may i suggest a helmand province afghanistan, i could provide pics as my cusin and a few of my old service buddys are currently stationed there! also a camp logar\shank F.O.B. would be great to have! that i can provide pics of too..maby i will have to see if i have any useful pics of the base!...btw it has many mountians and should look simular to the "razani n. witizstan" map(or what ever its called)! good luck

Something like the original Tonal in Arma2 would be insane (in good way). Not sure if there's any frame-rate friendly jungle vegitation out there to really make that work, but here's hoping.

Based on the awsomeness of Panthera, I can't wait for your new creations!