Sign in to follow this  
Force10

This game has got it's hooks in me.....

Hi All,

I have had just about every military shooter/flight sim since 1998, with all of them I'm into it for just a little while, then it is off to the next one. I have to say I think I will be stuck on this for awhile! I was trying out boot camp and some user made missions and was really into it. Then my 12 year old son was playing around with it and he fired up the mission editor, something I almost never do with any game. I wasnt paying to much attention til he previewed a quick mission he put together and OMG! He just did a quick thing with about 16 helicopters duking it out over his position...my jaw dropped. Since then, I haven't even touched the scenarios/campaign at all. We have been looking up stuff and tips and have got some multi chopper insertions with our custom music triggers going and are having an absolute blast! As far as mission editing goes, I feel like we will always just be beginners when you see whats going on out there with the talented folks making scripts, etc. The amount of scripting and such people have knowledge of is just mind boggling. Anyways, sorry for the long post but i'm not usually amped enough about any game to actually post something! (hate typing)

Great Job BI! :yay::woot:

Glad you're enjoying it! I'm much the same with the editor - it offers so much flexibility for mucking about that I put far more time into it than playing missions etc. :p

No doubt! With the editor, the possibilties are literally endless. I can tell already most of my time will be here and the only missions I will play are the cheesy entry level ones I have created.;) For now anyway. There is something about seeing what you have worked on come to life that feels like a great acomplishment!

With you on that Force10, I have a six year old who knows how to get hours of amusement out of the editor as well, his missions are a little unbalanced, like 1 squad against 27 tanks but always impressive to watch nonetheless!

It says something about the editor when a 6 year old can just pick it up and use it.

Gives me hope!

It says something about the editor when a 6 year old can just pick it up and use it.

It says something about those whiners who complains about the editor being non user friendly :p

Thank god for some positive threads finally... I guess. The actual game hasn't got me hooked yet like ArmA 1 did, still doing a lot of work for it though. Mainly not hooked because my PC atm is broken, and I need some upgrades to run the game better.

As for the youngsters: Hope you turned blood "off"? ;-)

Beware of the age limit ... it's not for nothing.

That's a human experiment like that one with cellphones - nobody knows the outcome.

For the game is that "open" you could avoid firefights by using only one side.

There is so much to "operate" and "create" still ...

But I like this thread for it shows, like JW Custom posted, how to deal with BI games:

Be curious and simply act yourself!

Thank god for some positive threads finally... I guess. The actual game hasn't got me hooked yet like ArmA 1 did, still doing a lot of work for it though. Mainly not hooked because my PC atm is broken, and I need some upgrades to run the game better.

I agree! :bounce3: It's great to hear the positive feedback! :yay:

Glad to hear your enjoying it!if you happen to make any crackingly good single player missions get them uploaded, im always hungry for more! :D

Hi there

welcome on the forums. Yeah the editor is where I'm stuck 90 % of time when I fire up ArmA2. Haven't even played the whole campaign yet.LOL

And it's great to see people enjoying the game and hear something positive.

The more you'll understand the potential, this game has, the easier you get adicted to.

Have fun and enjoy yourself

Stay tuned

nettrucker:D

It says something about those whiners who complains about the editor being non user friendly :p

errrrr....no my dear friend,maybe those "whiners" love the game much more than others.The editor is not user friendly cos a noob like me can make basic stuff(put units and waypoints)but it s just the 0,001 percent of the editor power.It needs a manual for +5/10 euro.

Glad to see im not the only one hehe, fantastic game and there are some awesome user made missions out lately and some good ones on the way to :D

so glad you are enjoying it Force10. I too spend more time in the editor than the game itself. I have been playing with the editor and making missions scripts since OFP in 2003, and still learn something every day about a script. Keep up with the learning and welcome to the community!

errrrr....no my dear friend,maybe those "whiners" love the game much more than others.The editor is not user friendly cos a noob like me can make basic stuff(put units and waypoints)but it s just the 0,001 percent of the editor power.It needs a manual for +5/10 euro.

Try this out my brother. Written for Armed Assault but principle is still the same. There are lots of good reads on editing around the internoodle, so get googling:D

The biggest obstacle I have come across so far with this title is one that many of us have......a wife.:eek: It seems I can barely get an hour of editing in before she starts chirping about this or that. To really get a decent quality mission put together you need some time in big chunks to make it happen. Unfortunately, she's the kind that doesn't like gaming at all really so it's been an uphill battle for me for the last 15 years or so. When I managed to talk her into letting me get my Alienware rig, it was like a raising the flag at Iwo Jima kinda victory for me!:jump_clap:

^ The key is to get involved with her interest's (to a degree). That way you can feel less guilty about sitting up till 4am editing your missions. :D Of course as a Man I will be wrong. I tried this with my Wife and it works for a while. Problem is you edit and edit and forget to top up your hours with the Wife's interests. Also Wives who HATE gaming will always argue that its a pointless endeavour that achieves nothing. Shopping achieves something so there's that argument gone. At least I'm not the only one.

I'd love to have a son I could do things creatively with, like mission editor or a jam on guitars, pretty sick that he knows how to use a mission editor, I didn't have a clue what to do when I first tried it, I'm hooked aswell, not a great fan of the campaign or scenarios but the mission editor, phwoar, it's great, ps. have you tried the fighter jets yet, I bomb the sh*t out of Novy Sobor.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Try this out my brother. Written for Armed Assault but principle is still the same. There are lots of good reads on editing around the internoodle, so get googling:D

Oh my god, you legend, I have been looking for something like this for so long, *bows down*, can I get you a beer, a sandwich, anything?

I'd love to have a son I could do things creatively with, like mission editor or a jam on guitars, pretty sick that he knows how to use a mission editor.

For good or bad, he's been an armchair co-pilot for me thru my gaming career since he was very young. He probably started getting into editing stuff from Rollercoaster Tycoon and games like that. Then he moved on to Far Cry and Far Cry 2 on his Xbox and is constantly making maps and uploading them. Like me, he's into military stuff. We watch a lot off History Channel and are currently in the 3rd season of the series Tour of Duty which has us longing for a Vietnam mod for Arma 2:biggrin:.

Also Wives who HATE gaming will always argue that its a pointless endeavour that achieves nothing.

I feel your pain. My wife is basically into watching HGTV & DIY networks (and applying knowledge gained to our house), shopping for stuff I could care less about, and gardening:k:. I understand banking gaming time by doin stuff like that is a good thing. After achieving a good vibe and I feel the light is Green for gaming, I have to battle my son cause he wants to work on his missions and my rig is the only one good enough in the house to run Arma 2!

So my wife is not the only Arma2 widow then! Interesting to hear some other ideas for dealing with the Mrs when it comes to gaming. I always find if you give them a thoroughly good 'seeing to' around 7pm, that frees you up to play as many hours of gaming as you wish for the rest of the evening.

Since this is the appropriate thread to gush, it's downright amazing what you can do in this game with nothing more than waypoint editing skills.

I made a mission where you have to evacuate civilians as a civilian Mi-8 pilot by careening across a warzone at treetop level to avoid the AA. I've replayed it a dozen times, it's so fun.

On one try I was flaring the chopper to bleed off speed and land and pick up the evacuees, when a cannon shell smacked me right in the nose, with a huge puff of smoke. I panicked and started yanking the throttle to get down as fast as I could. Too fast, in fact, because the engine quit when I slammed into the ground. So I had a dozen refugees and a dead stick chopper ten kilometers into hell. Screwed.

I decided to load everybody into a forty-year old truck and try to get to the UN checkpoint that way. There were BMP patrols everywhere, but perhaps we'd get lucky. We were passing through Kababino when a farmer in rubber boots and a beret emerged from a sideroad, carrying a hunting rifle nonchalantly at his waist. I stared at him in panic as we approached, then swerved to try and hit him. I heard a grunt, but a few seconds later the entire village came alive and opened up on us. The girl in the back and and the factory worker sitting behind them cab slumped in their seats. I was dashing away chanting "Shit! Shit! SHIT!" when one of their APCs appeared behind us and started spitting 20mm cannon shells. Everyone on the left-side bench sprayed blood skyward and collapsed. Then there were only four passengers left. I drove full tilt through a hedgerow and some trees, taking cover behind an incline. Cutting across a field I passed a rocky knoll, and too late I realized that I had placed an Anti-Air squad here. I held my breath as we passed, and the hill began to recede into the distance. Then I heard it- the awful brass-wire-vibrating sound of an incoming rocket. The screen filled with smoke as the Igla warhead exploded just behind us, and the truck's engines quit. Quicker than me, the surviving passengers leapt from their seats. As I turned the key in the ignition the truck burst into flames, and the last thing I heard was one of the women screaming in pain.

Edited by maturin

You should upload that mission. Sounds like a blast!

I would if I knew how to code objectives and triggers. Right now it only has map icons and waypoints for hints.

Plus, I think it requires Vopsound.

Oh my god, you legend, I have been looking for something like this for so long, *bows down*, can I get you a beer, a sandwich, anything?

Ha, just release a great mission for me...

I would if I knew how to code objectives and triggers. Right now it only has map icons and waypoints for hints.

Plus, I think it requires Vopsound.

VopSound is just a sound-mod, so its not required

Since this is the appropriate thread to gush, it's downright amazing what you can do in this game with nothing more than waypoint editing skills.

I made a mission where you have to evacuate civilians as a civilian Mi-8 pilot by careening across a warzone at treetop level to avoid the AA. I've replayed it a dozen times, it's so fun.

On one try I was flaring the chopper to bleed off speed and land and pick up the evacuees, when a cannon shell smacked me right in the nose, with a huge puff of smoke. I panicked and started yanking the throttle to get down as fast as I could. Too fast, in fact, because the engine quit when I slammed into the ground. So I had a dozen refugees and a dead stick chopper ten kilometers into hell. Screwed.

I decided to load everybody into a forty-year old truck and try to get to the UN checkpoint that way. There were BMP patrols everywhere, but perhaps we'd get lucky. We were passing through Kababino when a farmer in rubber boots and a beret emerged from a sideroad, carrying a hunting rifle nonchalantly at his waist. I stared at him in panic as we approached, then swerved to try and hit him. I heard a grunt, but a few seconds later the entire village came alive and opened up on us. The girl in the back and and the factory worker sitting behind them cab slumped in their seats. I was dashing away chanting "Shit! Shit! SHIT!" when one of their APCs appeared behind us and started spitting 20mm cannon shells. Everyone on the left-side bench sprayed blood skyward and collapsed. Then there were only four passengers left. I drove full tilt through a hedgerow and some trees, taking cover behind an incline. Cutting across a field I passed a rocky knoll, and too late I realized that I had placed an Anti-Air squad here. I held my breath as we passed, and the hill began to recede into the distance. Then I heard it- the awful brass-wire-vibrating sound of an incoming rocket. The screen filled with smoke as the Igla warhead exploded just behind us, and the truck's engines quit. Quicker than me, the surviving passengers leapt from their seats. As I turned the key in the ignition the truck burst into flames, and the last thing I heard was one of the women screaming in pain.

That sounds amazing!!! Is ther any way to obtain player-made missions?