Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

How to build the midDetailTexture for a map ? ?

In ArmA2 map config, there is an item I haven't seen before, like this one :

midDetailTexture = "ca\utes\data\ut_middle_mco.paa";

For my own Sbrodj map, I have used the one from Chernarus, working ok.

But as I am now buiding a new Winter Sbrodj map, covered with snow ... of course I can't use this one, or I will get a nice greenish tint in the distance.

If I don't use it, this is the case ATM, in the distance I get an ugly "no texture" view.

I have tried to get this "mymap_snow_middle_mco.paa" using TexView, nView, Irfanview and the Gimp without any success.

So if somebody here has a hint, be kind enough to share ...:wink_o:

Hi,

I think this line can post at any texture you want. In my map its

midDetailTexture = "beton\bet_mymap\data\travad1_mco.paa";

and it works fine. So there are no texturedependencies for Utes or Chernarus anymore.

So maybe you create your own customsnowtexture, put it in the Datafolder of your island this should work.

hope that helped

Old Bear: MCO is a pain in the ass. Use one of default ones from Chernarus_Data.pbo that BIS made for various textures.

I would be very happy for instructions how to create _MCO textures as I have tons and tons of _CO textures which require this one. If anyone has any info, please share.

My problem is called SNOW !

I have get somewhere a snow texture ... perhaps from Kolguiev, and have a got a snow_mco.paa file, a 512x512 .paa quite working as a texture on map.

But I tried to use it "crude", just changing the name as old_snow_mid_mco.paa and inserting it in the right place in the config, I am getting an error "cant' ..." and the mid texture is not showing in game.

Of course I can use, one from Chernarus or Utes but they have all this overall greenish tint not really fitting for snow

Play around with photoshop, try out saturation? Try also making a "empty" mco with alpha filter, for example 16x16 box.

have you tried to make it 1024x1024 ? Maybe you need to have the other corresponding parts too? xxx_detail.paa, xxx_nopx.paa, xxx.rvmat?

My problem is called SNOW !

I have get somewhere a snow texture ... perhaps from Kolguiev, and have a got a snow_mco.paa file, a 512x512 .paa quite working as a texture on map.

But I tried to use it "crude", just changing the name as old_snow_mid_mco.paa and inserting it in the right place in the config, I am getting an error "cant' ..." and the mid texture is not showing in game.

Of course I can use, one from Chernarus or Utes but they have all this overall greenish tint not really fitting for snow

Not your mid problem but here ya got some textures i ones made for a project i stopped working on. (all bis needed one, including normal mapping)

I also have some snow tracks hanging around if you need them. Good luck!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=04KWJJ6L

Edited by spirit6

@spirit6 :thanks a lot!

Well, on my initial question, the 1024x1024 size has done the trick, I have got my MidTexture. Thanks to all giving me a hand in this !

How I proceed ... for the record :

Open the initial "snow_mco.paa" with TexView and save it as "snow_mco.tga"

Open "snow_mco.tga" with XnView and convert it in "snow_mco.png"

Open "snow_mco.png" with IrfanView, resize it to 1024x1024 and save it as "snow_mid_mco.png"

Open "snow_mid_mco.png" with The Gimp, play with light/contrast, save.

Open "snow_mid_mco.png" with XnView and convert it to "snow_mid_mco.tga"

Open "snow_mid_mco.tga" with TexView and save it as .paa

note: other ways are not working, resizing with XnView, gives me an error.

Edited by Old Bear

You dont need this procedure...

You can open texview.tga with gimp

play around, make normalmap etc.

then save tga in gimp again ( but dont use rle compression!!)

open tga in texview and convert it to paa again

that works for me..

I'm a photoshop use so I don't know about GIMP, but it sure hells sounds like way too much trouble to use all kinds of IrfanView and XnView to get the job done. Are you sure all the procedures with these utils are necessary?

just make a light blue texture,name your texture, put it in your map folder, change configs, , then bin all : )

Edited by plumose 219

Ah ... I'm gonna sound like a total noob but what exactly is a mid texture? I'm assuming it's either something I don't know about that makes everything look better or it's just the b/w file that each texture has which is overlayed ontop of the satmap at mid distances ...

I should probably know about this but as I said, I'm a bit of a noob, haven't hear of this until now :D

Guys i am using the utes midtexture and that is all sweat and fine. However when i use concrete in certain area's i dont want the middetail to overgrow it with grass texture.

I love the middetail texture but is there ways to make sure it only applies to certain surfaces or is it just all or nothing like i have it now?