Sign in to follow this  
Teutonic Steel

This game is amazing

I got this game over the weekend and it is quite possibly one of my best gaming experiences to date. I love realism and simulators of all sorts but this game takes the cake for realism. I do not know if any one can relate but one of the first times I ever played gran turismo I experienced this weird feeling while I was playing, the game looked so real to life that for a few seconds I could not distinguish it from watching a real live race being broadcast on tv.

Well I never thought the day would come that this would happen to me in military simulator. While I was cruising around over Utes in armory mode in my SU-25, besides being in awe over the detailed reflection of the sun off the wings of my craft, I got the challenge to attack a location. The best part is that each time the base or units are a little different. Anyways I come down out of the sky towards the little camp and see a mi-8 transport taking off, I open up with the 30 mm cannon and essentially cut the tail of the mi-8 right after it had just gained some altitude, not much but enough for the crew to all bail and parachute down while the mi-8 (now spewing black smoke) began to spin violently. I pulled up and roared away but went to the outside camera to look at my handy work where I saw the mi-8 plow into the ground in a huge explosion and cloud of smoke. All I could think was wow, that was amazing.

The next time I had to attack a location there was a marine tracked apc rolling along the runway when I came through in the SU-25 again. I opened up with the 30 again and criss crossed the area landing two swipes on the LAV, immediately I see the crew bail and start running as a group away. Looking like ants and all but a blur as my airspeed was insane after coming from a steep downward angle from the heavens. I made a second pass where I had throttleded back a bit and saw the crew together laying down about 100 yards away from the tank, towards the edge of the tarmac, I started rolling the 30 again and drew an S right through and around there group, they all rolled over from the shrapnel, this time I was like wow that was almost too realistic looking, any other game would have them fly 100 ft away from the mini blasts but they remained relatively stationary except turned into swiss cheese.

Other things like when I started playing one of the night time scenarios and it was actually dark. The first shooter I think I ever played where they got nightime right! Whens theres no moon it is in fact black out, in which case NVG finally do have a purpose, unlike most games where they just help you see better at night, you need them here.

I do have one quick question though, after playing armory for awhile I got the strela SAM and was wondering when do you shoot at a jet, just after it has gone over and is trailing off, in which case i have tried and the missile goes after it for awhile then quickly tracks off, the only success I've had is shooting just as the jet is crossing directly overhead or still coming. Anyways maybe its just the strela.

I have seen alot of mods and while I was on a assassination challenge on Utes with an SVD I thought of a cool mod that could take advantage of the game's already existent units. I was reminded of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the late 70's and 80's when Soviet snipers would set out and pop muji chieftains to cause chaos and disorder, anyways my idea is essentially a mod that recreates the invasion and or some of the warfare, I mean it has arma II mod written all over it, I can see it all now, T-62's 72's 54-55's Hinds AK's one word.... STINGERS..... I can even picture a civilian dressed CIA agent in aviators as a character model... anyways I think it would be awesome.

Well I have read lots of awesome stories about the game's AI doing smart things, if anyone has some cool arma II stories to share that would be great, I love reading them. Thanks for reading this

I have seen alot of mods and while I was on a assassination challenge on Utes with an SVD I thought of a cool mod that could take advantage of the game's already existent units. I was reminded of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the late 70's and 80's when Soviet snipers would set out and pop muji chieftains to cause chaos and disorder, anyways my idea is essentially a mod that recreates the invasion and or some of the warfare, I mean it has arma II mod written all over it, I can see it all now, T-62's 72's 54-55's Hinds AK's one word.... STINGERS..... I can even picture a civilian dressed CIA agent in aviators as a character model... anyways I think it would be awesome.

Well, I suggest you get to know the editor and find the right addon units and begin to make that scenario m8.

It's good to see some genuine enthusiastic comments for awhile instead of pointless moaning.

Happy for you :)

I got this game over the weekend and it is quite possibly one of my best gaming experiences to date. I love realism and simulators of all sorts but this game takes the cake for realism.

Very good. I like positive comments on Arma 2 :)

P85 mod will bring such units within 1-2 weeks (as my new provider will connect me)

concerning "i love" and realism

you wrong, this game needs config tweaking by mods

P85 mod will tweak weapons

because now Arma 2 is not realistic (as you say about realism)

in Arma2:

AKS74U (short barelled weapon) is better than HK G36A with scope, BIS gave 600 meters AI range of fire for AKS74U while 400 for scoped G36A !

SVD is better than M40A3, in real SVD is used at max 500 meters (because of many many issues) and M24/M40 has 10x scope and is used much further, while in game it is upside down

M4 is worse than AKS74U

etc.

it is surrealism, not realism ;)

some people reported BMP2 stronger than T90, T72

it would be total nonsense to have APC stronger and harder to destroy than modern tank like T90

Concerning "you wrong", thats your opinion, yes I know the game has quirks but its much more real/true to life in many many other aspects besides the range of a couple assault rifles being off by 200 meters, in which case I can say I really do not care. taking into consideration they made a game that looks this good and is quite playable, thats enough to earn them and their work praise in my book. And with with other patches on the horizon, it only stands to get better.

The game doesn`t NEED to be totally real world realistic. It just needs to suspend disbelief to a degree. And it does do this. imho

I have to say having had this game less than a week I agree with the OP. Sure I had the 8GB RAM problem and some tweaking to do, all works fine now with some minor bugs.

Downloaded a good few mods already, as you do.

Was flying a Sopwith Camel all over Chernerus on Sunday night, last night I was a Royal Marine Commando airlifted into battle in a CH-47.

Then when I got out and ordered my team to disembark, while watching and listening the CH-47 leave after dropping everyone off I thought to myself "Games don't any better than this".

Having come from making my own mods for GTASA, I was disillusioned by GTAIV for many reasons and have been aimlessly wandering through games like Fallout 3 etc looking for that big sandbox buzz, this one seems to tick all the boxes.

I can only hope the niggles get ironed out, that would be the icing on the cake.

Awesome post! Great to hear someone who is enthusiastic about Arma2. It is an awesome game and deserves more of this. I'm tired of people bitchin all the time.

Good post as it takes me back to my first time:don6:

Sometimes I get so caught up in making a mission or trying to understand code that I lose the immersion. Good to take a break sometimes, then come back and it all feels fresh again.

concerning "i love" and realism

you wrong, this game needs config tweaking by mods

P85 mod will tweak weapons

because now Arma 2 is not realistic (as you say about realism)

Wow, it took less than an hour for someone to piss on your parade.

It's totally awesome to listen to someone who's experienced "in the zone" moments from Arma or Arma 2. I never tire of it and I know there are some amazing stories out there.

Steel, you need to get Fraps going so we can see some of this stuff. All I can say is - tonight, I'm heading into the Armory. I have Arma 2 loaded but am still playing and editing a lot of Arma 1 so I never even thought of going into the A2 armory. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah the armory is where I am having my most fun right now. I've started the SP and its ok but I just get hooked on the armory. Its awesome, like I was saying how the game spawns different situations pretty much every time or with some different variable. I had a Strela SAM and was given the challenge to "survive" for like 3 or 5 mins while a A-10 and F-35 and the two rotored helitcopter the marines have flew in circles trying to strafe me with either 30 mm or drop bombs on me. I fired and missed so ran to the ground mounted .50 cal and started taking pot shots when they were coming head on, they were too fast and most of the shots missed so I bailed and went back a little bit to find cover, next thing I know I hear a whistle and the mg emplacement got destroyed by what I assume a guided bomb or something... Anyways it was intense. It was one of those explosions that makes your ears ring...

So glad there are new people finding A2 a blast, pardon the pun. It seems that most (me too) have the best times when everyone's setting up and positioning just before an assault, or when overwhelmed and falling back when it's one 'oh shit!' moment after another. No other game has given me such satisfaction after only one mission as this series. Hope you all enjoy it for as long as the old timers have.

I like the armory when i'm too busy to get serious with editor or campaign, its one of game modes that is quick and simple but fun

Yeah I also like Realism Games (at least as much as possible)

As to the nit picker, do you remember the reaction you got when you first played OFP? This is what this guy had with ArmA 2 so don't be jerky about it, it's a great feeling I know where he's at, I still remember playing the OFP Demo when that came out with friends on gamespy, that was just awesome.