Sign in to follow this  
halleyelec

Eve Online - I want it, but just a bit wary.....

I tried that evochron legends looks really good but a bit crashy!!! Graphics are a bit off but I love the gameplay and the atmospheric landings etc.

tbh, I didn't even get as far as to land, i was ushered off! Apparently facebook is more important and she didn't want to use the laptop :p

I can't wait to have a proper go though!

Hopefully EVE will arrive today!!

Be careful how you choose your race at the start. Skill training is a pain in the ass in EVE, and many skills can take days or weeks, just to train one level ( Each skill has 5 levels )

Each race has certain attributes that affect how quickly skills take to learn. You have 2 neural remaps available at the game start, which allow you to rebalance your attribute levels, but you can only remap every 12 months!!! The attributes are as follows :

Intelligence

Memory

Charisma

Perception

Willpower

Different skills are dependant on different attributes ( Click "info" on a skill book to find out which ones ). This means that if your character has high Memory and Intelligence attribute levels (which will mean that your other attribute levels will be low) , then skills that are affected by those two attributes will train quickly, but skills affected by other attributes will train slowly. ( Having said that, all skills trained during your first 1.6 million skill points, will train at double speed )

There is an easy way to seriously speed up your training. Create a character with very high Intelligence and memory to start with. Then buy the following training skill books:

Instant Recall

Analytical Mind

Learning

Spatial Awareness

Iron Will

Empathy

Train them all in the order above to at least level 4, but preferably level 5. This will take along time to do, but will more or less half the training time for any other skills you learn, so it doesn't take very long to pay off ;) ( There's also advanced learning skills but don't worry about them at the beginning )

To help decide on the race of your starting character, download EveHq :

http://www.evehq.net/downloads.html

It has a character creatiion tool, which will calculate the best race for your needs ( plus evehq does loads of other really useful things ;) )

Eve is very daunting when you start because there's so much to learn, but its very addictive if your into that type of game. Just take one step at a time, and slowly build yourself up by doing the missions. Have fun! :D

Oh god I can't wait!!!!!! It hasn't arrived yet though!!!!! :(

I've also just checked out people selling their characters on ebay for extortionate amounts of money! It's scandalous!

That site isn't working at the minute but I will check it out later see if it's back up. cheers fella

Okay I have been exploring a bit with space games and I would recommend Freelancer with the discovery mod. Its a full on RPG experience that is very similar to Elite and the real bonus is there are 200 player servers that are nearly always packed with players online. Its really great and free apart form the cost of freelancer.

the graphics are updated etc and look pretty good but there's hundreds of ships weapons and star systems to choose from. the first game i had i went in got lost in a gas cloud and some helpful people came in rescued me and even gave me some money to start me off... and pointed me in the right direction for mining possibilities etc.

Edited by colligpip

For people thinking about the subscription cost... if you play enough and make enough in game money (ISK) you can actually use that to buy "PLEX" cards, which are "Pilot Licence EXtensions".

Depending on the economy at the time you buy, they're normally around 300million ISK. If you're good at ingame trading, building stuff, "ratting" (killing AI pirates) and selling the loot and salvaging the wrecks and stuff, you can eventually start to make a big enough income to actually pay for the game by playing the game, meaning if you do it right you won't ever have to actually BUY game time. Just remember to keep the subs up to date though otherwise you'll have to pay to reactivate it!

It's not for everyone, but it's very varied and once you get past the god aweful UI (which in all fairness isn't too bad when u realise how complex it is and what it's doing) and some folk to blow crap up with (or mine), then it's a good game. Just depends on personal preferance. It can take a while to get anywhere but then it's an MMO, the idea is they never end, you just progress but never really attain anything.

Check the trial out. It's better if you try it with friends too so you're not all on your own in noobland lol.

EVE is a yawntastic misrepresentation of space travel.

I could spend hours watching my ship in warp though...

If you like space games, give the X3 series a go. The learning curve is a real weenur, but if you can handle ARMA chances are you have the patience to figure it out. You can get the newest one for dirt cheap now.

EVE is a yawntastic misrepresentation of space travel.

I could spend hours watching my ship in warp though...

If you like space games, give the X3 series a go. The learning curve is a real weenur, but if you can handle ARMA chances are you have the patience to figure it out. You can get the newest one for dirt cheap now.

German version is still at the original price level...do you mean the UK version? Its not about the language but I need a credit card for ordering via amazon.co.uk ...

I've been waiting for a cheaper version for a few month now.

I have an inactive account there, only reason i'm not playing is lack of a job and therefor money. It's a great game, but when most people get the trial they don't get to play EVE as it should be played, that is, in a Corp, actively doing missions and wars. You don't get into all that so quickly, without having someone you know in a corp that could use tacklers (ships that warp scramble and slow other ships down). It takes about a month or two to really get into this game and that's what most people don't like about it.

I loved Elite Frontier on the Amiga. Freelancer and similar games never really "did it" for me. I loved Frontier for cruising around in a "fairly realistic" galaxy, at least the closer neighbourhood. You could travel to the other side of the galaxy, which I did (took some time). Everything else, incl Eve Online, have missed some of the crucial parts, so I never bothered trying it. Also it just wouldn't be worth the money spent, for me.

Graphically all newer games suffer from being way too graphical. Space looks shiny, crowded, beautiful, and overly graphic. And in case you're wondering, yes, I still find "2001 a Space Odyssey" one of the most realistically produced space movies of all times graphics wise :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Graphically all newer games suffer from being way too graphical. Space looks shiny, crowded, beautiful, and overly graphic. And in case you're wondering, yes, I still find "2001 a Space Odyssey" one of the most realistically produced space movies of all times graphics wise :)

Totally agree there. I especially dislike the way space is so "bright" in most games. Every solar system seems to be encased in a bright nebula that lights up everything from all angles and destroys the "feeling" of being in space. EVE and Freelancer are prime offenders.

My favorite space shooters are still the Independence War games, even though they're pretty dated now. I still play Edge of Chaos (I-War 2) occasionally.

Do you know guys the game dust 514? Its made by ccp team and its a free mmo fps, based on eve online universe, and the actions happened here will have impact on eve online universe. On first tiem it will be released on consoles, but looks like that it will be also available on pc.

www.dust514.org

On their website you can see a rendered trailer and also an ingame footage.

I read something about it a few month ago and found the concept really interesting. As far as I understood the game, battles will run parallel in space (EVE) and on the ground (Dust) and effect each other :)

Edited by kavoven

From what i heard ccp was thinking about adding first person RPG game play into EVE, maybe we will be able to walk inside space station somedays