Sign in to follow this  
Wildgoose

Nvidia 3D vision and ArmA II support?

Well ive just noticed on messing around in the nvidia control panel, users of 8 series geforce and above that are running windows vista/7 (not XP) can now use 3D glasses in games that support it, without any extra hardware!

ArmAII isnt on the list, although OFP is described as excellent in supported games.

Was wondering if this is likely to ever be supported? or if anyone else has any experience with this yet?

Ive toggled it on while running ArmAII and the display does go into seperation, although ive not got any of those RED/BLUE glasses to test it myself yet.

Ive realised that nvidia have had their 3D solution for a while now, but you have needed an expensive (120hz) monitor and shutter glasses to experience it, until now that is.

This link explains better than I can here

Will get myself a pair of those cheap 3d glasses somewhere, or have to make a pair, and test myself soon as I can...

Apparently most directX games will work out of the box, with no extra hardware needed on most normal monitors, so should be worth a try for alot of other games aswell.

Edited by Wildgoose
external link added

I've got the Nvidia 3D glasses. They came with my Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz. monitor. Although I really like the monitors refreshrate (games look smoother now), I can't say I'm a big fan of the 3D glasses yet. 3D looks nice in some games but after an hour of playing the initial WOW effect is gone and you'll go back to normal mode. The drivers screw up brightness and gamma settings on your display so most of the time you`ll have to uncheck the 3D mode toggle from the Nvidia control panel.

I'm not a stranger to 3D glasses. Five years or so back I had Edimensional 3D shutter glasses with my 19` CRT display. It was all new and exciting then but you`ll soon get annoyed by the dimmer view through the glasses and even though they say it won't flicker with 120hz, it still does and you still get image bleeding. All in all, it's nice for a while but it's not really functional.

I've tried them with ArmA II and the game is badly optimized for 3D, i.m.o. I guess they could easily fix it if they made a 3D crosshair toggle available for 3D gamers. Right now, you can't hit things properly when 3D is enabled. Also, you need to tweak the 3D view with the special keys to get the weapon you're holding to look like 1 3D weapon. Standard, if you switch 3D on, you'll get 2 weapons. Once they're merged to become 1, 3D on the weapon looks nice but your surroundings look a bit odd. Not much depth, except for 3D models in game, like trees and vehicles. But they all look a bit cartoony and small, especially the soldiers look like they're toys. Also, like I mentioned before, you can't hit things cause your crosshair's not really 3D.

If you can come across the initial dimness, flickering and image bleeding, the 3D glasses are a nice little gimmick, especially for the first timer. For ArmA 2, all you can do for now is walk around casually in 3D without engaging enemies cause you'll end up dead. Some things look kinda nice and are worth watching in 3D. Maybe if they fix the crosshair and bring some other 3D improvements it'll be a lot better. Right now the glasses are only good for watching 3D movies (which IS a blast!) and playing some 3D optimized games and even then you'll be likely to put the glasses away after one hour of playing. I do find Microsoft flight sims entertaining in 3D because you can just fly around casually and cockpits look really nice in 3D. Also, runways give a bit more depth when you're on the ground.

My final verdict is you don't really need 3D glasses. They can be nice for a while but if you're looking for fast paced action and really want to perform well in shooting enemies and stuff, don't go 3D. It sucks and is only nice for enjoying scenery. And even then, it's not perfect.

The difference here is, it wont cost any extra to go 3D!, apart from the cost of the silly little RED/BLUE glasses.

I know what you mean about the edimensional glasses, had a pair myself, which worked quite well in the old OFP.

these drivers support arma2 in stereo 3d , not sure about nvidia solutions but it supports alot of other stereo 3d tech:: cool:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/

Just sign up to the website then you will be able to download there drivers , also they have a big community support with the stereo 3d tech some smart peeps that are always willing to help out free of charge.. :yay:

I registered at that site but can't find much regarding ArmA II and 3D. Also, for Nvidia shutterglasses, I don't think you can get any other drivers than Nvidia's own stereo drivers. There were drivers for other 3D hardware, like you said though. Maybe that stuff works better with ArmA II than shutterglasses.

To the TS: I hope you'll have fun with the cheap red/blue glasses. Maybe hitting things works better than with the shutter glasses. When/if Bohemia decides to add a 3D crosshair for ArmA II, I'll give it another try myself. :cool: In the meanwhile, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. See if anyone else comes with tips for a better ArmA II 3D experience.

"The drivers screw up brightness and gamma settings on your display so most of the time you`ll have to uncheck the 3D mode toggle from the Nvidia control panel."

I too have the 2233RZ. But opted NOT to buy the nVidia Glasses. Cause they DO screw up the brightness of the monitor. The Samsung 2233RZ is a brilliant monitor allowing 120 hz. But turn on the nVidia glasses and gone is the brightness replaced with a pretty dark screen view, and gone is your hi rez textures as well cause the glasses mask all the goodness. But, you do get a great 3D view, but my Gods at the expense of the brightness and hi rez visuals.

I`ll stick with the 2233RZs 120 hz goodness. ;p

Just bought Hardware:

Acer GD245HQ 23.6" 120Hz 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor

Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT w/ latest drvver

*already had the Graphics card

Settings:

Postprocess effects: Low

Shadow detail: Disabled

Interface Resolution 1920x1080x32

3D Resolution: 1920x1080

Nvidia:

Issues and reommended settings -----------------------------

Troop icons are 2D Laser sign is 2D Troops icons leave rendering artifacts on right and left edges of screen Smoke causes halo Shadows dob't render correctly Go to Options/Video options/Advanced Shadow detail = disabled Postprocess effects = Low

Notes:

Terrain and Vehicles seem fine (A tree branch actually came out of my screen).

Can't use guns in 1st person you just see 2 gun shadows (not been able to find a setting to fix it).

Ironsights have the same issue apart from proper scopes.

Had a good time playing for a while in 3rd person using a Mk17 Sniper SD, but playing like that obvious your game plays very limited.

Dev's:

Any chance your going to look into 3D improvements?

And if not what would the community need to do, to have ago at it ourselves?

I tried with OA 1.59 today. It is supported, you just have to change the focal points and that. However, with it enabled, the framerate drops nearly by half and nightvision looks brwonish.

It is absolutely amazing to aim through the reticles though. You can try it if you like, but don't expect to play the game normally with it.

I've got the Nvidia 3D glasses. They came with my Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz. monitor. Although I really like the monitors refreshrate (games look smoother now), I can't say I'm a big fan of the 3D glasses yet. 3D looks nice in some games but after an hour of playing the initial WOW effect is gone and you'll go back to normal mode. The drivers screw up brightness and gamma settings on your display so most of the time you`ll have to uncheck the 3D mode toggle from the Nvidia control panel.

I'm not a stranger to 3D glasses. Five years or so back I had Edimensional 3D shutter glasses with my 19` CRT display. It was all new and exciting then but you`ll soon get annoyed by the dimmer view through the glasses and even though they say it won't flicker with 120hz, it still does and you still get image bleeding. All in all, it's nice for a while but it's not really functional.

I've tried them with ArmA II and the game is badly optimized for 3D, i.m.o. I guess they could easily fix it if they made a 3D crosshair toggle available for 3D gamers. Right now, you can't hit things properly when 3D is enabled. Also, you need to tweak the 3D view with the special keys to get the weapon you're holding to look like 1 3D weapon. Standard, if you switch 3D on, you'll get 2 weapons. Once they're merged to become 1, 3D on the weapon looks nice but your surroundings look a bit odd. Not much depth, except for 3D models in game, like trees and vehicles. But they all look a bit cartoony and small, especially the soldiers look like they're toys. Also, like I mentioned before, you can't hit things cause your crosshair's not really 3D.

If you can come across the initial dimness, flickering and image bleeding, the 3D glasses are a nice little gimmick, especially for the first timer. For ArmA 2, all you can do for now is walk around casually in 3D without engaging enemies cause you'll end up dead. Some things look kinda nice and are worth watching in 3D. Maybe if they fix the crosshair and bring some other 3D improvements it'll be a lot better. Right now the glasses are only good for watching 3D movies (which IS a blast!) and playing some 3D optimized games and even then you'll be likely to put the glasses away after one hour of playing. I do find Microsoft flight sims entertaining in 3D because you can just fly around casually and cockpits look really nice in 3D. Also, runways give a bit more depth when you're on the ground.

My final verdict is you don't really need 3D glasses. They can be nice for a while but if you're looking for fast paced action and really want to perform well in shooting enemies and stuff, don't go 3D. It sucks and is only nice for enjoying scenery. And even then, it's not perfect.

I'm wondering if your settings are right reading this. Do you increase the separation of the images enough that your eyes are staring straight forward when viewing distant scenery? The brightness issue is one i hope they solve too, but i just increase the brightness levels for shadow detail and increased visual clarity in general. 3D Vision 2 has apparently solved the brightness issue now that i think about it. Users are saying their new technique requires them to lower the level below the maximum brightness level. You might look into one of the new 27" from Acer, Viewsonic and a couple other brand someone mentioned. I can't remember mainly because i've gone a totally different route: A 46" 3DTV has offer a high FoV and has amazingly hard to see pixels even when viewed from just under 1 meter away.

I consider 3D, even now, despite the current issues, which they are solving, to be a MAJOR step towards virtual reality levels of immersion and i have a hard time going back to 2D. I consider gaming on my relatively cheap 46" 3DTV, a step above my last 2D monitor, a 2560x1600 30" Dell, which i used for 4 years. According to Steam, i now have over 500 hours of 3D gaming under my belt and i've not looked back since. Hopefully they will solve these issues quickly and hopefully the used market, which is what i'm forced to used mainly due to income, will grow.

Just bought Hardware:

Acer GD245HQ 23.6" 120Hz 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor

Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT w/ latest drvver

*already had the Graphics card

Settings:

Postprocess effects: Low

Shadow detail: Disabled

Interface Resolution 1920x1080x32

3D Resolution: 1920x1080

Nvidia:

Issues and reommended settings -----------------------------

Troop icons are 2D Laser sign is 2D Troops icons leave rendering artifacts on right and left edges of screen Smoke causes halo Shadows dob't render correctly Go to Options/Video options/Advanced Shadow detail = disabled Postprocess effects = Low

Notes:

Terrain and Vehicles seem fine (A tree branch actually came out of my screen).

Can't use guns in 1st person you just see 2 gun shadows (not been able to find a setting to fix it).

Ironsights have the same issue apart from proper scopes.

Had a good time playing for a while in 3rd person using a Mk17 Sniper SD, but playing like that obvious your game plays very limited.

Dev's:

Any chance your going to look into 3D improvements?

And if not what would the community need to do, to have ago at it ourselves?

By decreasing the 3D depth to 1% the effect is quite stunning, exept 2 issues.

-> Using: GTX680 with Asus VG278H screen

1. Iron sight aim

- aiming with Aimpoint or iron sight weapons still doubles the sight by a few points, making it nearly impossible to aim.

2. Info messages displayed in the back

- vital massages are displayed in the back and thus hard to notice...

more here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223546

any solution on these issues ?

Edited by Sonsalt

How much effort would it be to implement something in game, that works properly, so in non-3d mode you would render from the right eye, and in 3d mode you add a left eye? that way holo sights would work right.

I don't know what it is, it seems like I can close the gap with altering the 3d depth, but not completely, as I hit the minimum just before that.

would be great to get some official statement on this subject.