bardosy

[CAMP] Chesty Puller

My new WIP campaign's name is PIROG. The campaign intro and the first four missions are ready. My plan is to create two more (but bigger) missions and then publish. The too long campaigns always deserted... :( I have a very good, but unfinished campaign for ArmA1 with 10 missions. Lot of workhour for nothing... :( I guess, more, but shorter campaigns is valuable. :)

Maybe you could port your Arma 1 campaign over to Arma 2? Then the many hours of work would still make sense.

„PIROG†= pie

Funny name. Good luck with the campaign work.

Hey guys!

I posted the first four missions for beta-test to OFPEC. If you have time to test it, please help me.

If any of you want to test it with ACE, it could be great! I just tested it without addons. But I'm interesting how it works under ACE.

But please don't publish the campaign anywhere, because it's not finished!!!

I played the first Mission, and it was without major bugs, The onlything I could complain about is that the Hill north east of the Airstrip was too easy to take. In fact the chopper had already killed everything up there

I agree with Tonci with regards to the first mission. was fun and nice to ease us into the campaign. But the insertion point was a little close and there needs to be more men in the initial part of the mission, to look like a major Operation (which I guess taking an airfield would be). nice to see the gunships at work, but maybe they work a little too well. :) taking the hill was more or less a mopping up mission.

Taking out that mortor position in the 2nd mission was a real bitch, mainly due to the grass and visibility, once you crest the hill you can't see shit, but the enemy can sure see you ( One of my only complaints with the game.) once that big gun opens up we fell like flies. Took me numerous attempts to take the hill but I managed it (took out the chopper too, do we get brownie points for doing that?) at last but lost all of my commanders (team switch) but as I was injured out of team switches and without a medic (KIA) so I couldn't heal myself I crawled about a million miles to the CDF first aid tent only to find I couldn't heal there either (enemy medicine?) could really do with the first aid module or something. Great so far right up there with the Chesty campaign, I'm loving it.

SD

Edited by Soupdragon

@Tonci, Soupdragon: did you test with ACE?

This afternoon I tested the 1st mission with ACE and felt the same: he choppers cleared the way... Well, with ACE, this mission is too easy. But try it without ACE! Choppers do something, but not completly clear. And you have to face with several BRDMs and a BMP2. It's not soo easy.

It was an interesting experience, because I heard the rumors: missions are harder with ACE.

Hi Bardosy! Just a quick one before I try these missions, do i install these first few into my missions folder or the campaign one? Cheers! :D

Nope as it is a beta I am not running any AI mods just in case it breaks the missions. I did run with CSM2 JTD and WarFX mods however, but as these are cosmetic mods they shouldn't make any difference.

@Trickster Just put the pbo file into your camapigns folder.

SD

SD

@trickster1982: put it in ArmA2/Campaigns

@Soupdragon:

Thanks! And it's very interesting... :O

Is it possible is your PC is harder, then the chopper AI is harder too? Or if your visibility is longer?

Very odd... If I played with addonfree, the choppers left me a lot of enemy.

Did the CDF reinforced by BRDMs and BMP2 in the airfield?

About the number of attacking force: it's 5 teams initially and continously join more and more temas to the attck. It's higher number then Chesty's 1st mission.

I play on veteran difficulty with friendly units set at 0.89 and enemy units set at 0.68 I have set a view distance of about 3000m, which as I mainly play infantry missions I find is more than adaquate.

The CDF did reinforce I only saw a BRDM which I killed with my MATIS(?) though I did hear other armour units being called out, they must have been taken out buy the other teams.

Once the airfield was taken I moved with my team up the hill encountering sporadic fire but not a sustained defence as I expected, using grenades and rifle fire I took the top of the hill myself :) and the battle phase moved on to take the town.

Loved the mission, was a perfect way to ease into the campaign. But maybe I was just lucky and chose the right spots to attack, If I played it again I would probably get my arse shot to pieces :D

Great job

SD

I play with ACE+Zeus AI+GL4 AI

especially ACE turns helicopters into true killing machines (just like it should be)

I started to collect HINTS to this new campaign:

1., If the teamleader is died, reload the last savepoint. Don't continue the mission with secondary playable caracters!

2., If you fond too easy a mission with ACE, just try it without ACE :D

3., If your teammates are very slow and don1t follow you, set them behaviour to AWARE, by hit button 7.

If you have any more hints, just send me! E.g.: if you have any trick to pump up the IQ of medic, just share the info...

yeah the medic certainly needs a boot up his ass when it come to getting a shift on. Takes him a bloody age to finally get to you and fix you up when your injured.

SD

So I found some more stuff to fix

Mission 2: The Hill was very hard to take (due to my AI mods) keep it this way. i couldn´t find any Tanks in Khelm and the Mission completet with still some Enemys alive in the village (one of them was actually about to kill me)

Mission 3: Place the Mission marker on the Barn with the civilians. On the first try I attacked the Village from the South end, and found the mass graves first.

@Soupdragon: it's so very strange how can the Russian AI such worst the USMC! Can you imagine, BIS did it???

@Tonci: There was no armored units in Khelm??? No BMP, no Shilka??? Is it possible, that your AI mod drive the Khelm's armors to any location?

Alive enemy in Khelm: I don't like "no enemy presence" triggers. Because the gameplay is runied to find the last noob if a BIS bug press him under an unopenable building... :( So I usually use a counter and enemy's number is less the 4-3, the trigger activated and objective completed.

Marker: I don't want marked the Barn exactly. It's the player's job to find the correct Barn. What happened if mass grave founded first? I set up the variables that way the mission continues only if both locations (barn and massgrave) are liberated.

Or you mean the story is confused if you liberate the massgrave are first?

Yes the Story was confused, and me too, because I thoght well this is it, why does the Story not continue. Then I went for a big search and found the other civilians and the Fighters. Then the Fighters told me that there is a mass grave and that we should go there, after he told me so, the mission just went on. I think it would be good to mark the correct barn, otherwise the chedaki intel guys would be complete amateurs^^

Just a quick post to say how much I enjoyed playing through this campaign.

Much better than the one which came with the game IMO.

Thanks so much for sharing it. I finished it tonight.

Alive enemy in Khelm: I don't like "no enemy presence" triggers. Because the gameplay is runied to find the last noob if a BIS bug press him under an unopenable building... :( So I usually use a counter and enemy's number is less the 4-3, the trigger activated and objective completed.

Sorry for OT, but could you explain exactly how you set this up in the editor? That sounds really useful for mission making.

@Tonci: Thanks for the bugreport!!! I see. I'll fix it today! Please report more!

Avoid the last noob in triggering:

1., First we need a list of enemy in a town/objective. I used two way:

a., Design time: if you put enemies in editor, put a trigger on it (Presence) and write this in the OnActivation field: enemytownnamelist = thislist;

b., Runtime: if you create enemies by script (spawn), you have add these new guys to the list. Eg: enemytownnamelist = enemytownnamelist + units newgroup; In that way, don't forget to initialize the list in init.sqs like this: enemytownnamelist = [];

2., Put a trigger (no need dimension) and write in Condition field: ({alive _x} count enemytownnamelist < 4;

The constant (in example: 4) is up to you. This trigger will be fired if someone killed the last 4th enemy and only 3 left.

3., It's not always good enough, because - as you mentioned - the last three enemies could be dangerous and not noob. So the 2., paragraph is could be the trigger of the objective, but you can complicate it with a timer: if only 3 enemies left, you can add the player 2-3 minutes to finish the last noobs. But if times up OR no enemies, an other trigger fires the "objective done". Well, in this case, the 2., trigger's onActivation field write this: townnametimer = true;

Put a new trigger with Condition: townnametimer; Set it's Min, Mid and Max field to 120 or more seconds, and fill the OnActivation: townnametimerdone = true;

And put the last Trigger on the map with Condition:

townnametimerdone OR ({alive _x} count enemytownnamelist < 1;

And in OnActivation the objective done script... It will fire if no enemy or the time's up.

I'm not sure it's necessary in ArmA2, but in OFP it was necessary, so I do in ArmA2 too: if you use logical OR, you have to initialize the boolean variable, so put this line inti init.sqs:

townnametimerdone = false;

Tonci! I fixed the stroy-problem in the mission #3, what you reported. If you liberate the southern civilians first, they will send you to north and then, the northern civs will not say about the mass grave. And - of course - if you liberate the northerns first, the things will go as in normal way.

I'm really respect your help!

Guys, at weekend I'm working on mission #5. I wanted an easier mission as #4, but I'm not sure it successed... ;) But I wrote a lot of "rednack flash" script (no practically benefits, but it looks great...) into it.

I have to work on it a little more and then I will upload a newer version of the campaign (with fixes and the new mission).

Your helps is unbelievable! Thanks!

New P I R O G version available!

5th mission added and lot of small things fixed or developed by your suggestions.

New P I R O G version available!

5th mission added and lot of small things fixed or developed by your suggestions.

I really like your campaign! Thanks mucho!

Listen......... I don't have any modding skill of any kind but I want to be more involved with the community here so....................

I'd be more than happy to edit your in game English Dialogs either for this current mission (could be used as an update:)) or any future missions you do.

Think about it!

I also speak fluent Japanese and now learning Cantonese..........?if that helps at all?

I wish to have my name in LIGHTS!:bounce3: