Sign in to follow this  
gossamersolid

Improved Admin Abilities

There is a definite need for RCON. Countless times there has been a teamkiller with his teamkilling buddies on a full server. I can't get in and nobody is coordinated enough to vote an admin in, everybody leaves the server due to team killers.

If I had RCON for arma2, I could easily kick/ban the guy from there.

Also there should be seperate options in the server.cfg for voting. I don't want voted admins, but I want people to be able to vote for map restarts and vote kick people.

Voted admins always ends up with one guy going in there when the server is empty and voting himself in admin then doing what he wants.

Also Password Logged in Admins should Log Out a voted admin.

What do you all think?

Also Password Logged in Admins should Log Out a voted admin.

Doesnt that already happen?

You are quite right - Arma is pretty much in the stoneage regarding admin options.

Predefined admins pr id would be nice.

2 different adminlevels would be nice.

An admin spectate option would be nice..

An RCON option would be nice.

A logfile - other than netlog would be nice - like in arma1 + the ingame chat and timestamp - that way it would be easy to find out what went on later.

Dorph;1449546']You are quite right - Arma is pretty much in the stoneage regarding admin options.

Predefined admins pr id would be nice.

2 different adminlevels would be nice.

An admin spectate option would be nice..

An RCON option would be nice.

A logfile - other than netlog would be nice - like in arma1 + the ingame chat and timestamp - that way it would be easy to find out what went on later.

exactly

@Rundll.exe - no I don't believe it does

It does.. Had it happen to me plenty of times while "vote adminning" myself when there wasn't one on (clan server).. Get logged out the second someone uses the password.

It would also be nice to have the possibility to have multiple admins logged in simultaneously.

+1 for for pretty much all ideas in this thread.

Robust administrative functionality is really essential for any multiplayer game. An RCON with chat, score and kill monitoring would make things a lot easier for admins. Also, voting should be made easier. There should be a "Call Vote" option in somewhere in the MP menu, allowing players to start votes with a few clicks. In addition, ongoing votes should be displayed more prominently and voting yes/no should be possible via pressing a key.

I honestly don't understand how BIS hasn't implemented a rcon at this point. I just started running a private dedicated server, and I find it extremely aggravating that:

A) I have to be in-game to do any admining (thank god I don't run a giant pub server).

B) I have to take down and restart the server to enact ANY sort of settings change, minor or major.

C) The current console doesn't even log chat or any other server events other than the most very basic stuff.

and

D)The only way to directly monitor performance is to be in-game with #monitor running.

I just really fail to understand why even a basic UI would be so difficult to develop, it's very obtuse at the moment, especially when a bug hits the server and you have absolutely no feedback.

Example: My game crashed while I was admin (no warning, no error, nothing) and a copy of me was stuck in the server. Friend couldn't log in as admin in game to boot me out. Character was also unresponsive, and unable to be killed.

Due to the lack of rcon, I was unable to kick this "ghost" serverside, and additionally had no clue as to why this ghost was being retained in the server. I ended up having to restart it ~15-20 minutes into a coop mission just to fix it.

The monitor and logs reveal such a tiny amount of data that I was unable to figure out why this happened.

Also, failed admin logins echo to chat... who thought that was a good idea?

Probably the single most brain dead decision made for this game.

+1 for all points raised here - we need better control.

I can only wonder how many server passwords have been changed ASAP as a result of this :p

Check my anti team killing script : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83513. You can define a team kills limit and a time frame. If a player exceeds the team kills limit within the specified time frame he will get punished : user input is disabled and a hint informs the player of the situation, then the mission ends (only for him). The script remembers the player's unique ID so when he reconnects with another name he will get the same punishment.

I dislike such automated tools. Teamkills happen by accident.... especially when vehicle passengers count as friendly-fire kills if he crashes.

Yea, I'd love that. Drive a full chopper, get your rotor shot out... then get kicked permanently because you're a victim of gravity.

Out of the things suggested so far, for me the following would be my most wanted.

Also there should be seperate options in the server.cfg for voting. I don't want voted admins, but I want people to be able to vote for map restarts and vote kick people.
It would also be nice to have the possibility to have multiple admins logged in simultaneously.

In general though any improvement to the set-up and administration of a server would be good :)