Sign in to follow this  
Pistolfied

Pistolfied's Tracers

If there are ever any new weapons released that include new bullets I can add them to the addon, just post a link to the addon here and I'll attempt to get it working.

Here ya go chief. ;)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87107

Or if you want, I can get the ammo classes for you directly. :)

*sigh, I've tried getting it working but the only way which works is editing the mod itself. But on the bright side it's gotten me to create a config file instead of the infinite number of folders :) Link will be up shortly with release notes.

Edit: I completely fubar'd adding the modded weapon in and just realized it now, I've gotten it to work... :dead:

Edit2: Uploaded new version

Edited by Pistolfied

Hey Pistolfied, thanks a bunch for adding the USEC Weapons Pack to it, much appreciated mate. :D

Great thing, I love these tracers!

The only thing I don't like is with night vision they look much too big. That spoils using them in night ops.

Would it be possible to add a version, where every round is a tracer? I had hoped the "0" pattern to be that, but it does not work.

How about having it configurable with inlcude files like the SLX tracers from ArmA 1? We can exopect lots of weapons addons in the future, and it should be an option to configure tracers for those easily without the need for new versions of the mod. (Utherwise you might be very busy in the future, Pistol :D )

But again, thanks for what ot os even now!

Not sure if this matches the original scope of this addon, or if you're willing to do this. But I'd like to have detailed options using mission control scripts when a tracer is fired instead of locking everything to what the user chooses. Personally I think user control here is a bad thing, because those who use most tracers will be at an advantage to those not having the addon. Hence I suspect it will be disallowed, at least on PvP based servers.

I.e. I might have a leader using all fired shots tracer rounds, regulars 2-1, medics no tracers etc. Maybe dim tracers for the SAW (like default). Different tracer configurations for same guns. Maybe even change it mid mission. Is it even possible to obtain this sort of control using an addon and mission scripting?

The problem with making this a script is right now it simply edits the config files which you can't do via scripting. I also have pretty limited scripting knowledge which pretty much makes this impossible to do without large amounts of help. I would really like to make this a script but I honestly can't see this being possible.

And for those that can't get this working be sure to read the readme, if you've followed all of those instructions there might be a mod conflict in which case I want you to post a list of all the addons you are currently using and I'll see if there could be a problem with that.

Also, oldy I've already got the next version configured for that and I'll be releasing the config file on it's own for extra weapon addons for those who don't know how to add it themselves. Once I push out the next release.

Edited by Pistolfied

And for those that can't get this working be sure to read the readme, if you've followed all of those instructions there might be a mod conflict in which case I want you to post a list of all the addons you are currently using and I'll see if there could be a problem with that.

Well I got it working and sure enough it's an addon conflict that was causing the trouble. The weird thing is it's the VOP sound mod that was causing the issue.

I admit I don't do much in the way of editing, but I've never heard of a sound mod causing a conflict with a visual addon.

I think I'll file it under: weird shite, and try a couple of other sound mods.

Edit: To be a bit more specific VOP Sound 2.0 was the problem. I've tried 3 other sound mods, including VOP Sound 2.1 with no issues.

I can finally say: Nice work with the addon Pistolfied, much fun to use. Thanks. :bounce3:

Edited by Grendel [APS]

Well, I just made myself look like an idiot. To me, they look different than the stock BIS ones. Maybe I'm just loosing my mind.

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going certifiable around here. Back OT, I've read several accounts from soldiers in the field (From Vietnam to Present Day Engagements) and most of them could clearly see the tracers coming. But like many others here I've never been shot at so...

I believe the tracers not being visible is because of the way the engine handles the texture of the tracer. It seems to only have a texture for the back and the side of the bullet however I need to open up the model file to see how the texture is applied exactly.

The only way I could probably fix this is by making a new tracer model but that may be more effort than it's worth and may cause MP conflicts :(.

I also don't understand why VOP was conflicting with the mod, must be something strange in it's internal configuration file. As long as the newer version works fine with this mod all is well :).

Not sure if it helps out with the "tracers not being visible in certain cases" issue (and no idea if this has been discussed already), but have you cracked open 6th Sense Tracers from ArmA1 to see how he went about it? I could always see those tracers no matter if they were coming or going.

Anyhow, great mod! I'm making heavy use of 1-1 in testing the dispersion mod I've been working on. Thanks for your hard work on this!

Yeah I'll probably give that a shot, only problem I see is that I'll need a new tracer model which will probably cause the MP problems.

Anyways, new version for this is out, includes support for adding addons in the config file and also edits tracers used on vehicles now.

Why does a universally-improving addon like this one require loading of the Steyr weapon pack? (At least, that's what one web page or readme told me...)

it doesnt need the steyr. I think they meant the newer version will cater for user added weapons to be included in the config. eg Usec Steyr

It doesn't require it and I've gotten Big to remove it off the required addons list as that was confusing a lot of people even though at the top left it mentioned it was optional.

It would be great if the tracers could glow for several seconds, it glows for 2 seconds, a little longer would be better imo.

I sort of miss the unrealistic effect ArmA had where tracers at night would illuminate it's immediate surroundings as it passes through the environment, similar to a missile. It was a cool effect.

Hmm i just made my own tracer model with its own texture and when being directly fired at it still inst visable so its not texture or model related but something built in the engine.. :(

Yeah, I've noticed that as long as you aren't looking at the tracer start point then the tracer will show up but if you are then it's not visible at all, it's very strange. I think if I want to make it so tracers are visible when flying at you I'll have to disable the game's tracers and script in a visual effect of one which is too much work for me heh.

Updated. Check the first post for changes and download.I've been neglecting this for too long lol.

I think if I want to make it so tracers are visible when flying at you I'll have to disable the game's tracers and script in a visual effect of one which is too much work for me heh.

Tracers (at least german ones) in fact are only visible from the back. Enemies beeing shot with tracers don´t see tracers flying towards 'em.

Tracers (at least german ones) in fact are only visible from the back. Enemies beeing shot with tracers don´t see tracers flying towards 'em.

Wow, that's interesting. I'll be leaving this up to BIS though as I'm guessing it was their decision to have tracers as they are right now.

tracer is visible in the day:):ok:

Great to know :D

several people that have been shot at say otherwise...Maybe it's intended to be "invisible" from the front; but they put out too much light to make them so

Also found this:

For those on the receiving end of tracer ammunition, there is a well-known optical illusion whereby the tracer rounds appear to be traveling slowly, but as they get closer, they appear to speed up considerably.
Edited by No Use For A Name