Sign in to follow this  
Seisdoble

Ati Radeon HD5870 Benchmarks ?

Dear Folks:

Has anyone read any ATI Radeon HD 5870 benchmarks on ARMA 2?

I am going to upgrade the graphic card from my good Geforce 8800 GT, and I had thought to buy two Geforce GTX275 in SLI mode in a good price (340€ both), primarily to play ARMA 2. But after the ATI Radeon HD 5870 launch i do not know which will be the best option.

Suggestions, please.

Thanks everybody.

Jose "Seisdoble" Bernabé

Plus ArmA2 seems to be hugely CPU dependant for the most part, your money might be better spent upgrading that. Ofc I have no idea what CPU you currently have so I may be way off.

i have two 4780x2's, with all the bench marks i have read, a 5870=4870X2, and is DX11, has better AF IQ, will OC more ect. OH cost less...

HardOCP did a comparison between the 5870, 4890, and GTX 285 in Arma2. The 5870 dominates in arma2. (Naturally though you'd need a widescreen HD monitor to take advantage of the performance boost...)

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5870_video_card_review/8

Edited by The_Captain

We leave this one alive, otherwise we end up with even more of them. Atleast A2 general is a better place than A2 Troubleshooting. ;)

An interesting review... I'm beginning to be tempted back to ATI after a long stay in the Nvidia camp...

Edited by Bushlurker

Google is your friend. There are reviews and benchmarks all over the web.

If you can't use google, there are alot of posts linking benchmarks and such in this forum: http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=80

I've found only 2 benchmarks (where 1 looks suspicious) of hd5870 + ArmA2. Maybe I'm not searching correctly. Could you post one or two direct links to these benchmarks please?

Plus ArmA2 seems to be hugely CPU dependant for the most part, your money might be better spent upgrading that. Ofc I have no idea what CPU you currently have so I may be way off.

I upgraded from an overclocked Core 2 Duo E6400 to a Core i7 920 at 4Ghz and have noted absolutely no FPS differences at all, I think it's more noticeable in battle situations though.

Strange, i went from a C2D E6400 also, to a core i5 750 and my FPS skyrocketed. Well, ok, it improved a very substantial margin, with higher graphics settings. Radeon 4850 here though...

I remember reading threads with something about the i7 9x0's having performance issues in ArmA2 though... Have you disabled HT?

Edited by TimRiceSE

Well there is no better place to get this kind of info than Guru3d

http://www.guru3d.com/

The ATi card you speak of will be thier Flagship at this current time and cost wise should be cheaper than Nvidia, PLease keep us posted so we know what card you received and how that card did.

I've found only 2 benchmarks (where 1 looks suspicious) of hd5870 + ArmA2. Maybe I'm not searching correctly. Could you post one or two direct links to these benchmarks please?

Here is a thread with a ton of reviews in it. Most of these reviews bench the card with 3D Mark during the testing. You just have to thumb through them.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100927286

Here is a thread with a ton of reviews in it. Most of these reviews bench the card with 3D Mark during the testing. You just have to thumb through them.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100927286

Where do you see ArmA 2 in those??

That's what OP was interested in and that's what I believe matters here in ArmA 2 forums.

here another test HD5870 benched with Arma2: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/770-13/dossier-amd-radeon-hd-5870.html

I hope there will be in the future a benchmark from the Arma2-Demo. You can integrate it into the main Game to take advantage from patched A2.

regards from germany

That one I posted on the previous page.

So far we have only 2 benchmarks (from hardocp.com and hardware.fr). Well I guess it's sufficient, just wanted to point out that there isn't too many of them and we all know that this game isn't like others when it comes to guessing its performance...

well the french one is the best because he actualy knows what he is doing, Understands the tech and the difference in AA modes. And is good info for nvda card owners. Nordic couldnt even get CF to work on the 4870x2...

Thanks everybody for your support. I am going to wait just a little bit and buy the new Radeon HD 5870 instead two Geforce GTX 275 in SLI setup. The benchmarks are clear, and it is a DX11 card.

I can guess the DX11 will success, not like DX10. Most part of its failure was Vista, a O.S. that never had have to be born.

An interesting review... I'm beginning to be tempted back to ATI after a long stay in the Nvidia camp...

I've been tempted and tried ATI(good prize and they look cool) a few times and always returned to Nvidia, always had problems with ATI drivers!

well the french one is the best because he actualy knows what he is doing, Understands the tech and the difference in AA modes. And is good info for nvda card owners. Nordic couldnt even get CF to work on the 4870x2...

Hfr is one the best tech website .

I bought a GTX285 last Friday (in a complete new system) and it took me quite some effort to decide if it wasn't the time to wait and switch for ATI.

Ultimately though right now most games run really nice on a GTX285 in 1920x1200, the ATI gets between 10% to 50% performance increase (depending how well the game and drivers are optimized) but at least here in Europe costs considerable more.

That price increase IMHO is just not worth it when it gets you from 40 to 55 FPS - what for?

Besides, unless you are running an overclocked i7-920 or better CPU, Arma2 will bottleneck you at avg. 30 frames in many missions (per the Pcgamerhardware bench). No point in spending on a card that does 60FPS then, rather I would set up visual quality as high as you can go with 30avg. I believe image quality will give you a better edge in combat than pure frame rate, since A2 isn't a twitch game, and he who spots first shoots first.

Edited by Helmut_AUT