Sign in to follow this  
Raddik

Aircraft Carrier for ARMA 2

All,

I am officially starting a up a project to create a realistic Aircraft Carrier for ARMA 2...the vehicle and related ops components. Since I am a noob when it comes to modeling I am looking for some qualified help for this project. Below is a list of what I think we'll need:

• Modelers - 2
  • Animator - 1
  • Artists - 2
  • Scripting Gurus - 2
  • Navy Carrier Ops Expert - 1

I am willing to put some money into this, including stipends for team members and purchasing models, etc. If you are interested in helping, please PM me or reply with your skills and thoughts.

Once the team is asembled we'll brainstorm features that should be included, finalize that list, and then map out a dev cycle. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Raddik

Edited by Raddik

good.. we need a realistic Aircraft Carrier for ARMA 2. with working weapons "turrets" so on.

one thing that caught my eye, was

including stipends for team members and purchasing models

you know that we cant sell *.p3d models. so if you want to buy models it has to be in other formats, *.3ds. *.obj etc etc.

hope you get some people on this project

@nuxil

Yeah, I meant 3DS Max models in paricular. I've found a few really good ones that we should take a look at. Thanks for the info.

Raddik

Edited by Raddik

A nimitz class carrier exists for Arma1 maybe any first project would be to port that into Arma2 first.(With permissions etc)

just an idea.

Southy

@Eble

I tinkered with the existing Nimitz carrier, and it's from the OFP days...thus lacking the kind of detail needed to blend in with everything else in ARMA 2. None-the-less, that is still an option on the table.

Raddik

A nimitz class carrier exists for Arma1 maybe any first project would be to port that into Arma2 first.(With permissions etc)

just an idea.

Southy

LOL, i can't believe after..what is it...5-6 years, someone is still considering porting over the Nimitz 68.

I guess we all know the model is far from stable due to the messed up splitting into parts.

YES, i'm to blame for that since i made the Nimitz and the reason why it got messed up was because it was my very first model i ever made for the BIS engine. Although i did several test with the splitted parts, in the end the deck turned out to be having holes due to working on the limites of what the roadway lod allowed. Hard leasson learnd..never push it on the limites :) .

Anyway, it still makes me smile people enjoy the carrier for what it is worth. But on the other hand, now that we all know the limites better and the engine allow more functions i think it would be better if finally someone started from scratch.

So by this, i don't give permission to port the model over :p.

Nah seriously, in the end it shouldn't be that hard to make a carrier. It will take some serious planning and if you want to bring it to the level of detail to these days standards, it will take some time but it isn't the end of the world.

I wish i had nothing on my hands as i would jump on your boat anytime. Sadely i have many projects running and i don't see a big hole in the near future.

Maybe i could help out with some smaller stuff (some of the weaponsystems and other 'individual' stuff), but no promise.

On the other hand, using or participating in a project that will contain purchased models is a bit against my policy.

Don't be affraid to try making your own models. Like with my Nimitz, we all had to learn somewhere.

LOL, i can't believe after..what is it...5-6 years, someone is still considering porting over the Nimitz 68.

I guess we all know the model is far from stable due to the messed up splitting into parts.

YES, i'm to blame for that since i made the Nimitz and the reason why it got messed up was because it was my very first model i ever made for the BIS engine. Although i did several test with the splitted parts, in the end the deck turned out to be having holes due to working on the limites of what the roadway lod allowed. Hard leasson learnd..never push it on the limites :) .

Anyway, it still makes me smile people enjoy the carrier for what it is worth. But on the other hand, now that we all know the limites better and the engine allow more functions i think it would be better if finally someone started from scratch.

So by this, i don't give permission to port the model over :p.

Nah seriously, in the end it shouldn't be that hard to make a carrier. It will take some serious planning and if you want to bring it to the level of detail to these days standards, it will take some time but it isn't the end of the world.

I wish i had nothing on my hands as i would jump on your boat anytime. Sadely i have many projects running and i don't see a big hole in the near future.

Maybe i could help out with some smaller stuff (some of the weaponsystems and other 'individual' stuff), but no promise.

On the other hand, using or participating in a project that will contain purchased models is a bit against my policy.

Don't be affraid to try making your own models. Like with my Nimitz, we all had to learn somewhere.

My hats off to you DaSquade, I spent many enjoyable hours with the Nimitz in my ARMA1 Missions hooking it up with Auto ILS Landing and Hook script like Gnat did with the Kuznetsov, although I have been able to make the LHD do a catapult, ILS Auto Landing and Hook, ARMA 2 desparately needs a nice looking Aircraft Carrier like athe Nimitz. I never knew who crated it so Thanks! Hope Raddik can make it work.

i would do some models since i am getting good at it,buuuuut its only at small scale.low detail addons (none released btw)

so becuase of the size of a nimitzs id be a tiny bit put off,plus it will look bad if i do it :P but i might do in the future so dont count me out yet :)

@DaSquade

Thanks for the input. :) Honestly, my hope is to model one of the new 'Ford' class carriers anyway.

@ALL

With an aircraft like the F35B fully available in this game, I think we can be liberal in determining the time frame this conflict is taking place. Here is my logic...am I crazy?

• The F35 won't be widely deployed until well after 2014 (when it's operational testing is concluded). Reference
  • The 'Ford' class carrier will be finished and deployed after 2015. Reference

Knowing these things, it would make sense to follow suit and make a time frame appropriate platform. The F35C is a non-VTOL variant of the F35 intended for carrier operations...I think we could disable any and all auto hover features in the current F35B aircraft to simulate the F35C.

Thoughts?

Raddik

Well you could do both or either. I mean I know the Royal Navy will predominantly be buying the B and I don't know what the US Navy will be using, however I imagine it might be a mixture of both.

If you go for the C, I suggest making the Carrier with a few different type of helicopters on board aswell (heavy transport (MH-53E), light transport (UH-1Y) and attack (AH-1Z). Where as if you go for the B then you could probably have more of the F-35's and less helicopters.

However, these are only some suggestions which came into my head. I suppose you could also put an Super Hornet flight on the carrier if someone made that mod or you could make it as part of the carrier mod. So you could have some F-35 B's, some Super Hornets and a few helicopters.

Hope these suggestions either help or give food for thought,

SilverSniper99.

Personally i would skip the idea of 'looking forward'. From my very quick search, the CVN-78 is only a concept. If it is already beeing build, info and drawing/reference material is very hard to find.

Since i suppose it is the job of the maker to make it as accurate as possible (not even mentioning details), one should first have a very good archieve of reference material.

On other hand, since there isn't much availible yet it give you a free path for creativity, but one would be very dissapointed if lets yes in 2-3 years the first official drawings or pictures get released.

That is always the danger of recreating prototype models (been there, done that...won't do it anymore).

If i would make one, it would be one of the latest currently in use CVN, like the CVN-76 or even 77 (last is very new afaik?). At least there should be enough info and material to base your model on.

Keep in mind 'yours' will need to last for the next 5-6 years (or that is at least the plan i think).

Anyway, good luck.

PS: I was offcourse joking with the permission of the Nimitz. I always give permission for all my stuff, unless i can't :) .

I'm a big fan of the original "Big-E" and that requires me to ask you if you had thought about what the name of your carrier will be. (You can't go wrong with the Enterprise ya know) ;)

745px-CVN_79_CG.jpg

(June 30, 2006) - Artist Rendering - A conceptual rendering of CVN 78, the first of a new generation carrier design, CVN 21, for the U.S. Navy, underway at Northrop Grumman Newport News. Construction is slated to begin in 2007. Innovations for the next-generation aircraft carrier include an enhanced flight deck with increased sortie rates, improved weapons movement, a redesigned island, a new nuclear power plant and allowance for future technologies and reduced manning.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

i'd love a new Aircraft Carrier in ARMA 2, especially with like a fully working steam catapult, hook cable and maybe even an explorable interior + aircraft tugs :D

Personally i would skip the idea of 'looking forward'. From my very quick search, the CVN-78 is only a concept. If it is already beeing build, info and drawing/reference material is very hard to find.

Since i suppose it is the job of the maker to make it as accurate as possible (not even mentioning details), one should first have a very good archieve of reference material.

On other hand, since there isn't much availible yet it give you a free path for creativity, but one would be very dissapointed if lets yes in 2-3 years the first official drawings or pictures get released.

That is always the danger of recreating prototype models (been there, done that...won't do it anymore).

If i would make one, it would be one of the latest currently in use CVN, like the CVN-76 or even 77 (last is very new afaik?). At least there should be enough info and material to base your model on.

Keep in mind 'yours' will need to last for the next 5-6 years (or that is at least the plan i think).

Anyway, good luck.

PS: I was offcourse joking with the permission of the Nimitz. I always give permission for all my stuff, unless i can't :) .

@DaSquade

It's not a prototype or concept amigo. They are in full-steam building mode right now. They started on the first unit in 2005. Since it's impossible to prototype a 9-14 billion dollar ship, they're just building them.

As far as visible differences go, the hull is essentially the same, it's the flight deck and bridge that have been redesigned. If somehow a major shift happens away from the current prototype drawings/renders, I think we could manage. However, it's good advice none-the-less. :) Thanks.

Check out this link for info straight from Northrop Grumman.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDgy9etlPs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDgy9etlPs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

I've got a few suggestions for names keeping with the Big E theme:

USS Endurance

USS Empire

USS Excalibur

USS Everlasting

USS Excellence

@Raddik: Like said, 'quick search'...i even managed to overlook the building progress on the wiki. Forgive me and thanks for the youtube footage. Looks there is already some decent footage availible.

Carry on :).

@SilverSniper99

Good names. I like the USS Endurance. The HMS Endurance was the ship that got trapped in the antarctic ice in 1914...I think we could use it since the ship was destroyed.

Anyone else like the name?

@DaSquade

Thanks for giving us permission to start with your model. :)

Raddik

I have many 3d reference models from libraries and could assist with the project, as I have been developing one also. I also have some excellent techniques for cutting the model up so it works fine in game, from when I made the LHA for ArmA1

Hi dudes,

I have spent a fair bit of time working with the nimitz ingame in OFP and ARMA1.

There is a couple of things to keep in mind when using a Ship like this game engine.

Fisrt there is the editor placed objects LOD limit of 3klm approx.Lining up to land on a carrier needs at least 5 k's viewdistance.In the past i have put up with the "pop-up" at around 3klm but it isnt really what we are after.

The only way around this that i know of is to place it in an island when building/editing it and also to make sure the distant LOD goes out to at least 7klm.An example of this is the USS Khe Sahn in Utes Island.

I have tried this with the Nimitz in Arma1 and OFP but i think the distant lod's cut off at around 3klm.I dont this for sure ,I dont know about editng /opening P3d's.

@Steve,

Thanks for the input, this will be important methinks.

Raddik

Hi dudes,

I have spent a fair bit of time working with the nimitz ingame in OFP and ARMA1.

There is a couple of things to keep in mind when using a Ship like this game engine.

Fisrt there is the editor placed objects LOD limit of 3klm approx.Lining up to land on a carrier needs at least 5 k's viewdistance.In the past i have put up with the "pop-up" at around 3klm but it isnt really what we are after.

The only way around this that i know of is to place it in an island when building/editing it and also to make sure the distant LOD goes out to at least 7klm.An example of this is the USS Khe Sahn in Utes Island.

I have tried this with the Nimitz in Arma1 and OFP but i think the distant lod's cut off at around 3klm.I dont this for sure ,I dont know about editng /opening P3d's.

it would be the maximum calculated for the computers that they used for the creation of the game witch i calculated around 5.5km

and tested it was 5.5km so i think i did a good job at calculating.

for the carrier-- it would be awsome if you could get it to move. i bet if you studied a game called FlightSimulatorX you may find the answer to the question everyonee has beed figuring out. pm me if you need a theroy. i am gurrently making a Ticonderoga class Cruiser for this game and i would like for it to see a bigger perpose than just sea patroll and gound support.

Not sure what you mean Hero, but FSX game engine is completely unrelatable to ArmA game engine.

As for view distances, "Static" ships can be seen from greater distances than "moving" ships in ArmAII

I myself was unable to increase the distance I could see my Frigates, before they "popped" out of view.

BUT ... it seems a recent Beta patch may have fixed this ..... I'm still in the process of checking and testing.