Sign in to follow this  
highfly

what is this game ?

I don't want to capture flags, nor command whole armies, I want to play a campaign as a soldier/spec op/tank unit/chopper unit, eventually squad leader, just like it was in OFP.

Now this game becomes some kind of a hybrid mutant... Did the commercials at BI say "hmm we should put some capture the flag stuff in order to sell more copies, who cares if we suck all the spirit out of this game, money counts" ?

What does flag capturing have to do with single player campaign? Also, I felt OFP campaign slightly more "hybrid" than Arma2s campaign. In Arma2 you play the same guy the whole time. If CTF brings in more sales, then have it in, as it is not that hard to do. I was an avid CTF player myself many many years ago, but I wouldn't touch it with a realsim based game. In the campaign you start out as a rather regular "grunt", if you can call any force recon guys that. Then you advance into taking control over a 4 man team. Not much of a "big army" if you ask me.

There is a small warfare part in which you have to lead others to take only four towns. This little warfare element makes sense, and I would guess "leading and training resistance" would fit into the scope of some types of special forces and unconventional warfare. Check out the "Shootout" series on History Channel, and you'll see a lot of this going on in Afghanistan and Iraq. I admit I don't know USMC or Force Recon very much, but this kind of work doesn't sound that far fetched.

As for the biggest warfare game in the campaign, you have some options:

1) Lead the troops.

2) Fight yourself, at least so you can get some decent equipment.

3) Wait until something else happens. Waiting is part of war :) You'll need equipment eventually anyway, so it's not the best option.

The point being that the warfare element in Dogs of War can be something that happens around you. At least for the most part. Now, I didn't try yet to play it like this, but I guess it could if you don't like warfare.

Arma2 campaign being hybrid? I couldn't disagree more.

I'm talking about BI here, they sell the game and make the money, it should not be up to voluntary developpers to make this game a great one... (hmm to think about it, the idea is commercially nice: make a good environment, let the community make the content, take the money :-) But that's not how it's meant to be! a game should be enhanced by its community, not made by the community (or if yes, then the basic environment should be free too, just like the content)

I totally agree with this post. Highfly I suggest your wait for OFP:DR as I am doing.

Well, the campaign really is a showcase of the game itself (Gaia is coming out with a solid campaign, wOOt!). I'm impressed and happy over BIS including/supporting many of the community derived things that made the series so great.

If you don't want to use these features, don't.

If you want a campaign that's more OFP'ish, just wait a bit, it's coming.

I really find this a bit funny, as what OFP:DR is getting torn up over - and surprisingly praised for - is the miniscule amount of capacity and freedom it has.. Here we have BIS getting poked for too much possibility (yes, yes, yes it messed up YOUR campaign, I get it ;) )

I totally agree with this post. Highfly I suggest your wait for OFP:DR as I am doing.

Wait for a BF Bad Company clone, well... You were never cut out for ARMA/Real OpF games in the first place it seems. Bye :yay:

Said before, but apart from Warfare-style missions the campaign is really good & feels more or less realistic. I didn't mind High Command mode which enables you to control multiple squads to simulate larger conflict but mixing that with Warfare-style base building and buying units is a real mess. I'm confident that such mistake is not made in Operation Arrowhead campaign.

Said before, but apart from Warfare-style missions the campaign is really good & feels more or less realistic. I didn't mind High Command mode which enables you to control multiple squads to simulate larger conflict but mixing that with Warfare-style base building and buying units is a real mess. I'm confident that such mistake is not made in Operation Arrowhead campaign.

I'd love to know their motive behind including the base building RTS style play in ARMA2, was it really needed? Was there a demand?

Wait for a BF Bad Company clone, well... You were never cut out for ARMA/Real OpF games in the first place it seems. Bye :yay:

"Never Really Cut Out"

I like how "certain" fanboys get upset so easily and use there games as proof there some sort of higher more intelligent person. As long as I am enjoying the game I am playing I win. If you enjoy ArmA 2 all the power to you but you know I was making that post because the gameplay style he wants will be more along the lines of OFP DR taste not ArmA 2. It doesnt make me or him incapable of playing ArmA 2 and sure as hell means nothing about our skill in ArmA 2.

PEACE OUT

"Never Really Cut Out"

I like how "certain" fanboys get upset so easily and use there games as proof there some sort of higher more intelligent person. As long as I am enjoying the game I am playing I win. If you enjoy ArmA 2 all the power to you but you know I was making that post because the gameplay style he wants will be more along the lines of OFP DR taste not ArmA 2. It doesnt make me or him incapable of playing ArmA 2 and sure as hell means nothing about our skill in ArmA 2.

PEACE OUT

For a start Im not a fanboy in the slightest. Secondly, why are you even here if your, as you said yourself "waiting for DR. Do you not own a copy of ARMA2? If not, and you aren't intending to purchase, why are you here? To cause trouble and troll? If you do own a copy, why are you here? You obviously dont like the gameplay as your "wating for DR" as you said yourself.

Ive noted older posts from you also, nothing but negativity towards ARMA. So why are you still here if you obviously dont like the game, just go to the DR forums, you will fit right in im sure.

PEACE OUT.

Arma & Arma2 are whatever YOU want it to be.

Don't like that kind of pure freedom then clearly there are others :)

I longed for open sandbox in a military sim and now its here. I was brought up on half tactical half linear and saw what I wanted and found it in spades via Arma series. Now its just more open, that to some may not be good, but for me Arma1/2 will be the mainstay above all others I will always go to when i want to do exactly as i please, the rest I will enjoy for the short term.

Edited by mrcash2009

Why hasn't anyone pointed out that Warfare is a multiplayer game mode? That's the reason it's so out of place in the campaign. Simply dropping Warfare mechanics in and leaving it at that was just lazy. I think the RTS aspects (money, factories pumping out units) of Warfare are not well thought out, but still a permissible abstraction in a multiplayer environment (because it facilitates large scale strategic conflict even though it's a lazy way to do it). However, in any kind of mission that tries to be serious / milsim it's a huge immersion breaker.

That said, get your facts straight! There is NO "Capture The Flag" going on whatsoever. Warfare lineage does go back to "Capture The Island" game modes, but the two are very different.

So is this not a shooter, I still don't have a full understanding of what this game actually is. I want it but I need a clear understanding of the game and could someone check the "wut am bestest computer" and see if my specs are good enough.

I completely agree with the original poster - the first few missions of the campaign were excellent. The Warfare weirdness sapped the immersion out of it completely.

The OFP recipe of numerous playble characters in various branches of the military, all with their own intertwining stories of varying depth was genius. I really hope they return to this with Arrowhead. What better way to showcase all areas of the engine while really pushing the immersion factor?

Game modes like Warfare have their place in single player and online - not as part of an immersive, stroy driven campaign.

man this game is for people that want to experience the real war zone

its for smart strong men

God damn me, I never read something that stupid... What, I criticize ArmA then I'm not a man ? If it really was for smart men, you would not be able to play it.

Come on go back playing legos war.

For a start Im not a fanboy in the slightest. Secondly, why are you even here if your, as you said yourself "waiting for DR. Do you not own a copy of ARMA2? If not, and you aren't intending to purchase, why are you here? To cause trouble and troll? If you do own a copy, why are you here? You obviously dont like the gameplay as your "wating for DR" as you said yourself.

Ive noted older posts from you also, nothing but negativity towards ARMA. So why are you still here if you obviously dont like the game, just go to the DR forums, you will fit right in im sure.

PEACE OUT.

What's all this hate ? Gosh! are you so in love with BI it makes you blind and cuts out any judgement you might have ?

Who are you to say who has or has not to be here ? The most troubling and trolling post here around is yours. It has no point with the subject, and is full of arrogance.

Come on guys, grow up. Are you all 14yo here ? The real problem of these forums is the people who flame you down as soon as you say something that they don't like. Some people in older times called this attitude "fascism".

The nature and goal of a forum is to allow people to say what they think. No, the goal of a forum is not for people to say what you like.

This is my thread, Hotel is welcome to say what he thinks, wether you like it or not, I just don't care.

Too many possibilities surely is a bad thing...

I do agree to this in general. But i think you are wrong when were talking about ARMA2. This is subjective and me personally dig ARMA a lot. Nothing to touch it. Could it be better? Yes ofcourse - everything can always be better. However i wont sit and complain too much about it. If i would - i wouldnt be here yapping about it - i would move to another game.

But i like ARMA a lot so i stay and make the best of it. And im having a lot of fun. More than any other game i test. And that speaks volumes to me.

EDIT: I have to add that i have this "problem" in my own persona. Im everywhere at the same time, and im good at a lot of things instead of being a pro at 1 thing. Maybe thats why ARMA appeals to me...? Not sure, but it does. ;)

Edited by Alex72

so is this not a shooter, i still don't have a full understanding of what this game actually is. I want it but i need a clear understanding of the game and could someone check the "wut am bestest computer" and see if my specs are good enough.

demo demo demo

I do agree to this in general. But i think you are wrong when were talking about ARMA2. This is subjective and me personally dig ARMA a lot. Nothing to touch it. Could it be better? Yes ofcourse - everything can always be better. However i wont sit and complain too much about it. If i would - i wouldnt be here yapping about it - i would move to another game.

But i like ARMA a lot so i stay and make the best of it. And im having a lot of fun. More than any other game i test. And that speaks volumes to me.

EDIT: I have to add that i have this "problem" in my own persona. Im everywhere at the same time, and im good at a lot of things instead of being a pro at 1 thing. Maybe thats why ARMA appeals to me...? Not sure, but it does. ;)

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love ArmA, and enjoy plaing it a lot, that's why I'm here. All I don't like is this high command modules which does not suit, IMHO, a game like this. That's why from now on I'm gonna concentrate on user made content that suits my desires. But still I will keep commenting here to say what I like or not.

For the people saying: go play COD, or BF2, guys you don't get it. That's exactly the part of the game that makes ArmA closer to capture the flag games that I'm criticizing. I don't want ArmA to become one more flag capture game, just like all the others.

One guy said it right: high command module, base building, units buying should belong to multi player, and multi player only. That's nothing to do in single player campaign.

You may like and drive a car, but not the way the constructor made the seats. Will you throw the car away for this or tell the constructor he could do better with the seats next time? Personally I say what I think.

If you don't complain and say what you think, how can people make better the next time ?

This is my thread, Hotel is welcome to say what he thinks, wether you like it or not, I just don't care.

Well, the trouble in fact isn't that one can love another game than ArmA2, but the constant trolling of guys coming on this forum saying "wait for DR" anytime some constructive criticizm of ArmA2 is made. The only good response is "ignore the troll", to avoid counter productive and childish flaming, IMHO. But i acknowledge it's sometimes hard not to react...

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love ArmA, and enjoy plaing it a lot, that's why I'm here. (....)

If you don't complain and say what you think, how can people make better the next time ?

Sorry, but - like me - people will always and again get you wrong, when you talking about "the game" but meaning only a VERY small, special kind of enjoying it, which - just an excellent example I think - I - gaming BI games since 2001 - hardly never even tried to play.

Campaign isn't "the game", it's such a small part of it.

I think, you should just consider it to be an "introduction" to the whole world of gaming in AA2.

You gotta understand that people react annoyed, when you don't make your point clear.

I second again the co-gamer who asked you above to correct the thread title.

If i have anything i'd complain about, is that i have not seen old style coop mission being played on MP, which i think is the heart and soul of OFP for me, everyone seems to only play evo(boooo!) these day.

Edited by 4 IN 1

If i have anything i'd complain about, is that i have not seen old style coop mission being played on MP, which i think is the heart and soul of OFP for me, everyone seems to only play evo(boooo!) these day.

I think this is a negative result of the innovation JIP:

In evolution you can game as if you were alone and you can't (really do with fun) in coop missions.

JIP has many negative side effects which make me think of joining a clan.

But maybe this will be overcome by time and more and more admins who react more strictly on come-and-goers or even side-swappers.

In my opinion, there are more and more good special force missions around for a nice deep coop session.

Maybe a question of time. A lot of people are getting closer to the editor and start to create their own special force missions.

I can agree with many points in this topic.

I think as well that too much freedom can be in my eyes at least a handicap to the meaning behind the game. I dont want to go again in a discussion about sematics, warefare or what simulations really are. But I just think and I assume most here will though dissagre that the many numbers of missions present in the game that have almost in no way realistic restrictions are contrary to the meaning of the game. I mean situations where Squad Leaders can get out of the spawn with a Javelin, vehicle crews or pilots with anti air missiles and where everyone can use every equipment like ground units tanks, helicopters or even planes.

I have no issue with the fact that people can with the editor decide what is in their mission but I think its very sad to see that this kind of "one soldier can do all" gameplay has overtaken the gameplay. Feels for me at least not like a Simulation anymore.

God damn me, I never read something that stupid... What, I criticize ArmA then I'm not a man ? If it really was for smart men, you would not be able to play it.

Come on go back playing legos war.

What's all this hate ? Gosh! are you so in love with BI it makes you blind and cuts out any judgement you might have ?

Who are you to say who has or has not to be here ? The most troubling and trolling post here around is yours. It has no point with the subject, and is full of arrogance.

Come on guys, grow up. Are you all 14yo here ? The real problem of these forums is the people who flame you down as soon as you say something that they don't like. Some people in older times called this attitude "fascism".

The nature and goal of a forum is to allow people to say what they think. No, the goal of a forum is not for people to say what you like.

Erm... Did you even read my post? Its his constant trolling, why post wait for OpF everywhere etc... Exactly. Pure trolling. I dont understand why people who obviously arent cut out for ARMA style gaming stay here. Like Hotel. If he wants BF/OpF:DR games, go to their forums. I have no hate for those games i play CoD4 more than any other game (flame away). I just dont see why he is here putting people off ARMA, its trolling simple as that.

Sorry, but - like me - people will always and again get you wrong, when you talking about "the game" but meaning only a VERY small, special kind of enjoying it, which - just an excellent example I think - I - gaming BI games since 2001 - hardly never even tried to play.

Campaign isn't "the game", it's such a small part of it.

I think, you should just consider it to be an "introduction" to the whole world of gaming in AA2.

You gotta understand that people react annoyed, when you don't make your point clear.

I second again the co-gamer who asked you above to correct the thread title.

you're not wrong, but still, many campaign missions AND single player missions use the things I don't like, so my title is not so wrong, as this is the most part of the game's content.

I don't agree campaign is a small part of the game. The game I buy is mostly campaign and single player missions. Then if I download extra user content, this is not really "the game" but extensions to it.

anyway, can you change a thread title ? IF yes, how ?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Erm... Did you even read my post? Its his constant trolling, why post wait for OpF everywhere etc... Exactly. Pure trolling. I dont understand why people who obviously arent cut out for ARMA style gaming stay here. Like Hotel. If he wants BF/OpF:DR games, go to their forums. I have no hate for those games i play CoD4 more than any other game (flame away). I just dont see why he is here putting people off ARMA, its trolling simple as that.

ok, sorry then... I didn't read it like this, but I guess you're right about speaking of other games.

I think this is a negative result of the innovation JIP:

In evolution you can game as if you were alone and you can't (really do with fun) in coop missions.

JIP has many negative side effects which make me think of joining a clan.

But maybe this will be overcome by time and more and more admins who react more strictly on come-and-goers or even side-swappers.

this is depended on server admin and mission maker, most of the time if the mission creater didnt want to put respawn function into the mission, once server admin turned off AI the server will not support JIP anymore, atless it is how it work in A1

which means that the only reason for this to happen is that no people make good COOP mission anymore and people only knows about/wants to play EVO and not knowing what COOP really is.

Edited by 4 IN 1