Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

Hi. I've Mugen 3 PCGH. I think it's good (four 3.3 GHz cores used 100% of time for several mins with max temp around 53 °C). But PCGH edition was waste of money because additional 2nd fan would block one RAM slot.

Yeah, those Mugen heatsinks are huge. You really have to check if it will fit into your PC.

But this is what makes them awesome. They really keep your CPU cool. So cool that I almost got a heart attack after I turned my PC on for the first time, the CPU Fan Alert is quite loud (activates if the CPU fan turns slower than 400 times per minute, it was around 300 RPM when I started the PC since all the CPU heat was immediatel absorbed by the heatsink)

Hi guys, I need a bit of help choosing what to upgrade in my PC...

Currently I have:

AMD Phenom X4 II 955 3.2 GHz

8 GB GeLI

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 DirectCU (( Not willing to upgrade, I have just bought it on christmas :) ))

ASRock N68C-S UCC Motherboard

ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device ((not to upgrade, shes good enough making my headset into speakers))

H60 Liquid Cooling ((not to upgrade, would of need to buy way bigger case to sustain some space))

So what I think about upgrading is either Motherboard, CPU or RAM but I can't get more ram with this motherboard so either if I buy a motherboard I will need to find one that will support my current CPU and RAM so later on I can upgrade the rest of them two...

What do you guys suggestion I upgrade?

Budget: 160 GBP

Edited by Sakowski

You could have used that 160 GBP towards a better video card.

For now, i would recommend you to buy a SSD

You could have used that 160 GBP towards a better video card.

For now, i would recommend you to buy a SSD

I have paid 110 pounds for the gpu, don't want to waist another 160 pounds for another GPU when I have one that is 1 week old... I plan to stick with this GPU for a bit, with my specs I can play on very high and record but I want something better so as I said in my post, im not willing to update it, HDD or SSD, well I prefer to stay with HDD atm, I know they are different but I do not play on re-installing everything once again + I have shit loads of space.

As well SSD costs shit loads of money for small amount of space.

I have paid 110 pounds for the gpu, don't want to waist another 160 pounds for another GPU when I have one that is 1 week old...

Of course you won't that is why i used past tense, and not present or future tense. What i meant to say is that a 660 or 660TI would have served you better on the long term

HDD or SSD, well I prefer to stay with HDD atm, I know they are different but I do not play on re-installing everything once again + I have shit loads of space.

As well SSD costs shit loads of money for small amount of space.

SSD is a lot faster than a normal 7200 HDD. You only need it for OS and the Arma2 (or 3) game files, since this game uses a lot of streaming off the HDD. A 120-160GB would be sufficient

Updating the CPU is useless unless you buy a new motherboard just as well, which you don't have money for.

Updating the ram is also pretty pointless becase 99% of the games are not using more than 3Gb anyways.

So all in all, if you feel SSD is not worth the money (i will disagree with you here, especially when arma is concerned), then save them for a bigger and more meaningful upgrade.

Updating the ram is also pretty pointless becase 99% of the games are not using more than 3Gb anyways.

While it is true most games don't use more than 3GB, there are programs that do and you aren't going to be running games in a vacuum; you'll probably have multiple other programs running, not including the OS. I wouldn't suggest any more than 8GB though.

Which motherboard out from the listed would you suggest?

Can't really upgrade a CPU without one so I need new Motherboard than my next target will be CPU.

Edited by Sakowski

While it is true most games don't use more than 3GB, there are programs that do and you aren't going to be running games in a vacuum; you'll probably have multiple other programs running, not including the OS. I wouldn't suggest any more than 8GB though.

i was talking about he already having 8gb ram. If you check the spoiler, you'll see that i own a 24GB pc that i use for my freelance work, and another with 16GB. So yeah, i know it isn't completely useless above 8gb ;)

The problem with the GTX660ti is mainly the price. I'll most likely have to buy a new PSU as well to be able to provide enough power to the new components for a longer time, so it's sadly too much. I'll try to see what's the best price nevertheless. :)
As far as ASUS goes, the "reference clocks" (915/980) goes for $290 after rebate/shipping at Newegg while the factory OC'd (967 MHz/1058 MHz boost) version is currently about $300 after rebate/shipping at Newegg; there's a "TOP Edition" out there with even higher clocks but it's seemingly rare now (Newegg outright calls it "discontinued"). If you're willing to go into less high-profile brands, Galaxy has a 660 Ti 2 GB for $250 after tax/shipping at Newegg, while NCIX offers a PNY one for $270 (Newegg's cheaper offer is out of stock).

Anyone considering a monitor upgrade may want to think about the Korean Catleap Yamakasi 27" that run at 2560 x 1440. After a hardfought battle with Customs agents -I got mine today for the staggering price of $397 with free shipping. There are some flaws like:

A. The company I bought from Korexbuy apparently got auditied by Ebay the day I paid for it and there was much worry it wasn't coming at all. Korexbuy was very good about staying in communication with me by email (like 5 minute response times) and said that companies are randomly picked once in a while.

B. The stand. It sucks. Its pretty wobbly so if your one to actually feel the need to "touch" your monitor you may want to build a new one.

C. Speakers. Sound like 1960's transitor radios -but the who the hell uses monitor speakers anyhows?!

Overall, the picture and quality is outright stunning and having only paid $397 for the entire deal (+10 for plug in adapter) it almost feels like thievery. Flying Lingor with 8000+ VD at 27" on this resolution is simply jaw dropping. Now there is much ballyhoo about the Catleaps that can overclock to 120mhz but honestly I waited forever going that route with much empty promises while they held my money as the demand is much too high then the supply. The Korean sites are seeing the massive popularity of these and are raising their prices accordingly with many sites having jumped from $400 to $900 in just the past month :O

Highly recommended.

Edit: Running Arma at 3D Resolution 133% 3412 x 1920 I now wished I'd gotten a 4gb video card. The 670 4gb seems to be a better play then the 680 2gb as the former basically OC's to the same level :|

Edited by froggyluv

Good evening :)

Last week I spoke with my retailer again and came to the following solution: As the new GPU and CPU fan etc will require more power, my current 550W PSU is due for an update that is able to supply the parts safely for a longer amount of time.

As it stands right now, the list would be

Mugen 3 – 45,-€

Be Quiet! 700W System Power 80+ - 98,-€

LG235P ~200€

and the GPU I still have to decide on between

2048MB XFX HD7870 2048MB,PCI-E,2xDVI,HDMI,2xDP – 225,-€

Powercolor HD7870 PCS+ Myst 2048MB,PCI-E,2xDVI,HDMI,2xDP – 230,-€

XFX HD7870 Black Edition 2048MB,PCI-E,2xDVI,HDMI,2xDP – 240,-€

Which one of these GPU's would you recommend?

Thanks in advance and with best regards!

What kind of 550W PSU is that? If it's a certified PSU you should be totally fine. The system in my sig is powered by a three year old 525W Enermax PSU and I even have enough power for a few more HDDs (currently 2SSDs and 3HDDs).

If you want to be sure go for a 600W PSU. You only need 700W for a really powerful system. Hell, I know someone who runs two 660s with a 650W a PSU.

Ok, I wouldn't risk that :p

Unless you plan to do SLI/Crossfire in the foreseeable future something around 600W should be more than enough and leaves enough room for some OC'ing and plenty of storage.

hehe yeah I don't want to put more money on a bridge with a potentially loose pillar :p Perhaps I can find a good 650W PSU for a adequate prize but if it doesn't make much of a difference, the 700 one should be good as well and provide nice and stable power.

Btw, quite a neat system you have! :)

Thx ;) I'm very happy with my sys. It's basically a 3 1/2 year old system with a new GPU and new RAM. In some games I notice that the CPU isn't the newest (most notably in DCS World and Arma 2) but I spend a ton of money on hardware last year (GPU, HOTAS, Pedals, TrackIR, RAM) so I will wait and see how it runs Arma 3 before the next upgrade is in order.

As I said if you don't have a ridiculous amount of storage or SLI/Crossfire you won't need more than 600W (certified PSU!). Cougar, be quiet, Seasonic are all good brands.

Though what would be your suggestion for the GPU?

The Dual fan of the Black Edition could provide a more stable OC. Generally speaking about best performance, I was also looking at the Gigabyte card but he told me many of his clients were having problems with it.

I'm always happy for input :)

Generally speaking there isn't that much of a difference between different manufacturers. Sure, some are louder, some quieter, some a little faster, some cards are known to cause problems for some users (you probably want to avoid those^^) but in the end it doesn't matter that much when you're ingame and it runs at 60fps. I'd suggest you look around some hardware forums i.e. www.hardwareluxx.de/community , get some opinions from different people and then you decide what to buy ;)

ASUS and EVGA are both reputed brands, but these days you have to shell out some bit extra on EVGA's legendary warranty coverage (past three years anyway) including the Step Up program (within tight limits, pay the difference for a qualifying higher-end card that came out within ninety days of you purchasing a qualifying card).

Having the GPU issue myself atm, trying to build a pretty strong gaming PC with A2 and A3 in Mind, also i play things like Skyrim or World of Tanks and use high res texture mods there a lot.

Currently i use a Asus HD6950 Direct CUII with 6970 shader mod and am very happy with it in regards to how silent and how well manufactured it is.

So for the new PC what should it be, for years i used AMD cards because i always got more or similar performance for less money than on the Nvidias yet the not so perfect AA on the older AMDs bothered me a bit as gras and stuff in A2 looks rather grainy with it.

So i was thinking of a GTX670 but most just have 2GB Vram, for ArmA ok for Skyrim and other games with lots of texture mods not so perfect, so i looked at the few 4GB models like the Gigabyte one but those extra 2GB make it cost the same as a Asus HD7970 DCUII which brings a good bit more performance, looks lot better ( the blue PCB on the Gigabyte annoys me and the ASUS looks excellent and even has a metal backplate ) also i know what to expect from the Asus cooler inregards to cooling and noise levels.

In regards to AA and power consumption both cards are relative close to each other considering the 7970 brings a good bit extra fps.

So any real reasons why i should reconsider and maybe better go for the Gigabyte GTX670 4GB? Physix is nice to have but i can live without it, A3 seems to get a universal Physic aswell.

--EDIT---

Just noticed that Asus does have a 4GB GTX670DCUII aswell, no idea why i never noticed this one before so that definatly is more of a candidate over the Gigabyte, yet lookign at some reviews it seems ArmA2 definatly runs a good bit faster on the 7970, seems 10fps more are normal.

What would you choose and why?

Planned specs:

OS: Win8Pro 64Bit with Classic Shell or Win7Pro 64Bit ( Not 100% happy with Win8 atm )

CPU: Core i5 3570K @ 4.x Ghz witha Thermalright Macho HR-02

GPU: 3GB Asus HD7970 DCUII or a 4GB GTX670

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 650w ( from old PC )

MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB

Sound: Asus Xonar

Harddisk etc: 128GB Crucial C300 SSD for OS and A2 and a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD ( both from the old PC )

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black

Edited by Shadow NX

Why not get a Hyper 212 Plus for the CPU cooler? I'd also go with a 7950 or a 660 Ti if I were you if you're only going to be single-monitor gaming at 1920 x 1080... and don't get more video memory than the minimum! While 16 GB of DDR3 RAM isn't a bad thing, going Corsair Vengeance can be -- especially because those heatsinks may end up blocking something by accident, better to just get Samsung RAM.

If you're just gaming at 1920x1080, there's no justification for going any higher than a Radeon HD 7870/GTX 660 with 2 GB video RAM. I would go with the GTX 660, as it runs cooler despite using more power:

7870:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7870_Direct_Cu_II/25.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7870_Direct_Cu_II/29.html

GTX 660

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_660_Direct_Cu_II/26.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_660_Direct_Cu_II/31.html

FrostyTech says that the Xigmatek Gaia is quieter than the Hyper 212 Evo, and cools better at low speed. Xigmatek Gaia: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2595&page=5 Hyper 212 Evo: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2655&page=5 Still, Cooler Master will be releasing the Hyper 212X some time in the future, so keep them in mind.

Why not get a Hyper 212 Plus for the CPU cooler? I'd also go with a 7950 or a 660 Ti if I were you if you're only going to be single-monitor gaming at 1920 x 1080... and don't get more video memory than the minimum! While 16 GB of DDR3 RAM isn't a bad thing, going Corsair Vengeance can be -- especially because those heatsinks may end up blocking something by accident, better to just get Samsung RAM.

Cooler wise the Macho is basicly already decided because i already used it in friends PCs and its effing huge but also showed excellent cooling ( with lots of room upwards for bigger OCs ) and was relative silent.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/07/26/thermalright_hr02_macho_cpu_air_cooler_review/4#.URoM_x288k4

About the GPU, well it is supposed to stay in there for at least 2 years so id planned to take one of the fastest cards this time and finally enjoy all the benefits of high AA/AF settings and maxed options plus have lots of room for texture mods.

The 7950 and 660ti are too close to what i currently have to make a huge difference although they are great cards for sure.

Also one must consider that i plan to get a card with at least 3GB vram because as said i already see my current 2gb filling up when using games that are heavy modded in a one monitor setup.

About the Rams, well Corsair is Corsair and with them you rarely can go wrong from what i saw over the years, once switched to g.skills and already the problems started when the board would recognize them right.

The one i picked are the LP ones so they are low profile and dont have and high heatfins or anything like this.

In the end most HW is decided and i looked long and deep into the setup mixing in some stuff i saw when building friends PCs, the only major question mark is the GPU actually.

HD7970 or GTX670 both would be Asus DCUIIs because the cooling solutions is excellent for a stock cooler, GTX670 is a option because of Cuda, Physx ( although that is low priority for me ) the tiny bit better filtering and generally because it seems most company rather optimize on Nvidias.

Then again i read the forums hear and still hear about people with GTX670 and good cpus that get like average 35fps in Cherno with a 400Eur ( 4gb version ) card which freaks me out.

The HD7970 on the other hand judging by some ArmA benches i found seems to deliver up to 10fps more at the same settings but yet it also has downsides like higher power draw or being a3 slot design because of the massive DCU cooler, on the plus sides apart from power there are also two really nice games you get when buying one atm ( Bioshock 2 and Crysis 3 ) that could also be sold to make the card even cheaper in the end.

Currently most speaks for the 7970 when ArmA2 is my focus point but id like to hear from people having both cards about frames and stuff.

Also offcourse any other new card can be discussed maybe there are some i dont even consider yet but surprise me with working great in ArmA2.

@Kualus

As said 3GB are a must for me so both no options, also i would always pick the 7870 over the two as the 660 is too slow for my taste, if it were a 660ti i would choose that over a 7870 offcourse and so on.

Edited by Shadow NX

I had both the 7970 and then traded it in for the 680 and wrote up my experience somewhere in the General thread "7970" maybe? Overall I far prefer the 680 (which I hear the 670 is like 95% equivalent) for Arma 2. Maybe the drivers have changed things but I just find the experience smoother with the lower maintenance Nvidia card.