Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

A Swedish store is what I'm eventually looking for so I can deduct the tax next year ;) Just figured it was easier to say "£100" and go from there to get it locally once I choose the model ;)

That one does look quite decent on a quick glance, will go check out some reviews thanks :)

The Asus board would be more suitable for high overclocking (4Gz+) so in order from most recommended -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131757

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-157-262&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo

Related - http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10119&mfr=&filter=A03202.K325733.

I'd propably ditch the RAM setup and keep the 2*2Gb only especially if those sticks arent exactly identical, including LAT. Can you please post what sticks they are and what voltage?

Edited by Bee8190

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the 2x1gb sticks with 2x2gb sticks identical to the two I already have (Kingston PC2 5300 DDR2 667), although as they're at least 3 years old I might of course be better off getting some newer ram, haven't really looked how much speed has increased in terms of ram of late. Thanks for the mobo suggestions, am looking into those as well :)

Edit: Just looked and I see I can get 8gb kits of 1866 DDR3 for around £50, I'll definitely get some of that then when I get the new motherboard :)

Edited by Placebo

I am affraid the ram will need to go altogether as DDR3 boards are not backwards compatible with DDR2. RAM memory is however at rock bottom prices and RAM such as hyperX or corsair 1600Mhz DDR3, LAT 9 can be had for around 35Eur for 4Gb, which is in most gaming case scenarios completely sufficient.

The speed (benchmark wise) will be propably quite considerable as DDR3 are much faster and might cause a visible difference in framerates, compared to the current DDR2 667 sticks.

Glad to be of help

Yeah I really hadn't realised how much ram had moved on since I got these last ones, with my new SSD and adding DDR3 ram in it will be flying :) Thanks again :)

I wanna grab myself a SSD for my gaming rig at home (the i7 2600k in the spoiler), especially for A3. I am looking for something around 180gb sata3, with a price range of no more than 250EUs (could push some more if it does worth it).

Now, I got contradictory opinion from the web, regarding what would be the best SSD for the money, as well as why the fuck are so many types of SSDs available. Obviously, i would like to get the best out there in terms of read/write speeds, that is using the latest tech (what that is i really don't know anymore, at the office i have some intel SSDs in raid, but those are first or second generation. things seemed to have moved along quite a bit.). Some information would be appreciated:

This is what i got on the list so far:

200EUs - Corsair Force Series 180GB

230EUs - Corsair Force Series GT 180GB (does the 30RUs difference really make any difference?)

240EUs - OCZ Agility 3 180GB

250EUs - Kingston SSDNow V+200 240GB

280EUs - OCZ Agility 3 240GB

For now, i only want one SSD, will most likely push another next month just as well for the other rig i have.

I am obviously open to suggestions. Would prefer first hand experience with the drivers vs off the web commentaries.

Edited by PuFu

Just FYI if you didn't know: Those 500MB/s write speeds in OCZ SSDs are measured on text files. It has some controller that (de)compress on-the-fly. I guess it's same with any SSD that advertises +- 500MB/s write speed.

The Asus board would be more suitable for high overclocking (4Gz+) so in order from most recommended -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131757

Thanks again for your suggestions, I just ordered the Asus M5A97 (went with the standard one as the extras for the pro/evo weren't necessary for me) and also ordered G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1866MHz (2x4) looking forward to the hopeful improvements :)

I wanna grab myself a SSD for my gaming rig at home (the i7 2600k in the spoiler), especially for A3. I am looking for something around 180gb sata3, with a price range of no more than 250EUs (could push some more if it does worth it).

Now, I got contradictory opinion from the web, regarding what would be the best SSD for the money, as well as why the fuck are so many types of SSDs available. Obviously, i would like to get the best out there in terms of read/write speeds, that is using the latest tech (what that is i really don't know anymore, at the office i have some intel SSDs in raid, but those are first or second generation. things seemed to have moved along quite a bit.). Some information would be appreciated:

230EUs - Corsair Force Series GT 180GB (does the 30RUs difference really make any difference?)

For now, i only want one SSD, will most likely push another next month just as well for the other rig i have.

I am obviously open to suggestions. Would prefer first hand experience with the drivers vs off the web commentaries.

I am about to get my first SSD sometimes next month too, although I'll be looking for 128Gb, plenty for my own needs. Now, AFAIK, the NAND cells are pretty much same in all of the SSD's (TCMS supply for everyone, the 28nano*m) and the only real difference is the controller. The fastest is sand force and have been since Vertex 2 SSD drives, in both random writes and reads. However, sandforce seems to be slightly less reliable too, according to ''history''. Intel and even more so OCZ had quite alarming amount of failed drives within few weeks or even right out of the box. Nontheless, seems like they (OCZ especially) got their firmware sorted and I no longer see forums full of complaints.

The most reliable manufacturers still are (apologies as I no longer can find the SSD failure chart) - Intel, Crucial, Corsair, Samsung,and Kingstone. I no longer kept an eye on OCZ drives (like the new Vertex 4 series) as my trust to them was shaken.

(by the way newegg has more than plenty evidence from customer reviews on OCZ Vertex 2 / 3 drives)

For those reasons and plenty of positive reviews I'd recommend either of these -

Samsung 830 256Gb - 240Eur http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-256GB-6GBPS-Desktop-Basic/dp/B007BBQQ04/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339369521&sr=8-2

Crucial M4 256Gb - 203Eur http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256M4SSD2-256GB-M4-SSD/dp/B004W2JL2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339369449&sr=8-1

Corsair force 256Gb - 215Eur http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CSSD-F240GB3-BK-Force-Series-240GB/dp/B0051A8TG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339369581&sr=8-1

Many items on amazon are eligible for free delivery across EU and is as reliable and fast as any paid delivery FTW :)

Just FYI if you didn't know: Those 500MB/s write speeds in OCZ SSDs are measured on text files. It has some controller that (de)compress on-the-fly. I guess it's same with any SSD that advertises +- 500MB/s write speed.

Yes, the controller compress the files before it stores them on to the nand cells.It is my understanding that this is happening to allow even wear of every cell in SSD, so that some cells doesnt get overwritten 2000 times while others 20 times.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I just ordered the Asus M5A97 (went with the standard one as the extras for the pro/evo weren't necessary for me) and also ordered G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1866MHz (2x4) looking forward to the hopeful

My pleasure man!

Fine print - I hope everything will go well as I'm not looking forward to being banned hahah :)

Crucial all the way tbh.

OCZ flashing procedures for RAID arrays leave alot to be desired and the Agility 3 series are asynchronous NAND which is significantly slower than synchronous.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/07/nand_flash_faces_off_synchronous_vs_asynchronous/

The SF2281 controller has been an unmitigated disaster for OCZ.

At this point I've tried most brands and generations and the Crucial M4 drives are fast, solid, reliable and reasonably priced.

I've seen the 256GB as low as $214.00 and the 512 as low as $409.00 (Crucial is rumoured to be trying to start a price war which is good for us :D )

'AS SSD' is a more reliable measure of speed as it uses uncompressed data, as such you get much more reliable results.

Programs like ATTO use compressed data which make certain drives appear much faster than they actually are.

More here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/754763/as-ssd-benchmark-thread

Nothing wrong with Corsair or Kingston btw - both quality components.

Edited by BangTail

cheers for the tips lads.

Unfortunately, crucial is not really a brand i can find at my trusted retailed (don't ask, things with hardware is a bit different in terms of brands available here than in UK US DE etc, mainly because there are just a couple of national wide hardware importers that provide all the stock for the hundreds of retail stores. monopol ftw.

Indeed, i was able to find them at a local provider, just that i have no experience with them whatsoever, for around 220EUs (256GB, which should fit my OS an A2 needs perfectly).

I'll see if i can get myself one 256gb M4, if not, i guess Corsair Force GT should do the trick.

bangtail, sorry, send that PM again please, seems i had my inbox full without any notification on the forums whatsoever. I cleaned all the hate-mail i received recently :)

Edited by PuFu

Guys, does OS have to be installed on SSD, or just Arma? What are the benefits of having both installed on SSD?

I'm asking this because those SSDs are pricey, so I want to get one as cheap as possible.

For example 128GB vs 64GB...is the latter enough for Arma2/3?

OS on SSD= Much faster PC in tems of startup and other things. 128 GB is the way to go, that way you can put some island addons on it as well^^

Working on my PC build for Arma 3.... on the topic of SSD's

Crucial M4 64gb 75.00$

128gb 125.00$

256gb 215.00$

Would you purchase 1 256gb SSD and put the OS and arma on that drive? Or should I get a combination of 2 SSD's, one being the 64gb drive for Arma, and another drive for the OS and other programs? Is there a benifit in having an independent drive for arma?, and is it practical to set up 2 drives in this manner, in other words how difficult is it to make this configuration- I've never had 2 HD drives.

Thanks

hey guys am new to this forums or game and i just found out for arma 2: free and i say lets give it a try.

When i start the setup it directs me to a website where i can get my cd key but when i click one of the links to sign in and get the key it goes back and it says registration failed and it stays there i cant do anything else to play the game any ideas?

@Spartan00551

you might want to re-read the Forum rules you've just accepted today upon registering to the Forums:

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.

§8) Post in the right forum

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator.

Alright I could use an advice from i7 2600K users. I have opportunity to swap my i5 2500K for pretty much new-ish i5 3750K or I can get the 2600K for 30 Eur more from a friend I trust. Now I went trough about dozen benchmarks and it seems 3750K and 2600K are on pair if not even, generally speaking. Now I'm familiar with the tech specs of all 3 CPU's, I just can't decide if the hyperthreading in the 2600K would benefit me in arma and possibly A3, as its pretty much the only game I (plan on anyways) play.

I'm not planing on overclocking and If I do it would be just mild OC as I always do and I don't do any video - picture editing that would really benefit me from having HT.

Input apprechiated :)

Alright I could use an advice from i7 2600K users. I have opportunity to swap my i5 2500K for pretty much new-ish i5 3750K or I can get the 2600K for 30 Eur more from a friend I trust. Now I went trough about dozen benchmarks and it seems 3750K and 2600K are on pair if not even, generally speaking. Now I'm familiar with the tech specs of all 3 CPU's, I just can't decide if the hyperthreading in the 2600K would benefit me in arma and possibly A3, as its pretty much the only game I (plan on anyways) play.

I'm not planing on overclocking and If I do it would be just mild OC as I always do and I don't do any video - picture editing that would really benefit me from having HT.

Input apprechiated :)

You won´t have benefits from HT while playing Arma, but your System will be faster, stuff like 7zip, video and picture editing will be faster too. The i7 2600k has lots of potential if you want to OC it one day.

You won´t have benefits from HT while playing Arma, but your System will be faster, stuff like 7zip, video and picture editing will be faster too. The i7 2600k has lots of potential if you want to OC it one day.

I'm almost sure that I've read somewhere on this forums that the HT can even mess up arma's FPS / peroformance, have you ever encountered any issues in arma due to HT?

Cheers mate

I'm almost sure that I've read somewhere on this forums that the HT can even mess up arma's FPS / peroformance, have you ever encountered any issues in arma due to HT?

Cheers mate

Once I tried to disable HT, arma ran like before.

Cheers mate

yes, before 1.59 patch. Nowadays, HT on or off doesn't matter at all in terms of performance.

Thanks for input fellas. I decided the 3750K will be good enough and when the times comes (haswell?^^) one can always upgrade here and there again :)

I could also use some advice...

I am currently using a laptop which was not bought for gaming. i have now changed my mind and want to get into PC gaming rather than console. I used the sytemrequirementslab tosee if my laptop was good enough to handle games like arma 2, bf3 etc. Everything came back a pass other than my video card which failed.

Is there any way of upgrading this (external video card etc.)??

Here is my laptops spec:

Operating sytem: windows 7 homw premium 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Display: Intel® HD Graphics Family

thanks

Aron

I have been getting consistent blue screens of death lately while gaming. I just ran MemTest for a few hours while I slept and discovered 380 errors in 6 passes. That would definitely point to the RAM causing the blue screens while gaming. I've taken a few pictures of the MemTest screen.

th_IMG_20120704_034928.jpg

th_IMG_20120704_035010.jpg

th_IMG_20120704_035328.jpg

Is there any way to fix this? I can't afford new DDR3 RAM at the moment. This really needs to be resolved.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar