Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

I would go for a LED screen.

I advise you to wait until this month is over, prices will drop after christmas.

Hi All,

I am going to buy a new screen for my PC soon. However I have absolutely NO idea where on earth to purchase one from. I do not want to go to an overpriced high street shop, I would rather buy online, as that is usually cheaper?

I am looking for a good gaming monitor, with at least 75hz refresh rate and 1920x1080p. I am not sure exactly what size to go for, would 26" be sufficient?

And should I get LED or LCD?

Thanks a lot for any help! My budget is only about £300-400.

Thanks again if anyone can point me to a good wesbite. I don't really want anyone to find me a screen, but some good sites, or even a great ebay shop would be good.

Thanks!

P.S, I am based in the UK, if that makes any difference

1. There aren't many, if any monitors running their native resolution (1920x1080) @75Hz. Most are running @60Hz or 120Hz (3d monitors).

2. I would grab a LED monitor. Much better contrast, luminosity, power

consumption as well as black colors (as in less bleed into the black).

3. I for one would get an IPS monitor, should be in your price range (the resolution for 99% of IPS monitors is 1920x1200 btw).

But be advised that most affordable LED IPS monitors have higher response time. (a 5ms is low enough for gaming. An 8ms might be a bit much for most very fast paced games though).

4. In terms of producers, i would go with Dell (love the incorporated USBs), Asus or HP.

5. Make sure to have at least one DVI port, and one HDMI port (mini or normal). The cheaper monitors might have only VGA ports.

4. Samsung? I think they make good LCDs

5. Aren´t DVI and HDMI ports the same? At least quality wise? (HDMI can also transfer sound while DVI can´t)

Hi All,

I am going to buy a new screen for my PC soon. However I have absolutely NO idea where on earth to purchase one from. I do not want to go to an overpriced high street shop, I would rather buy online, as that is usually cheaper?

I am looking for a good gaming monitor, with at least 75hz refresh rate and 1920x1080p. I am not sure exactly what size to go for, would 26" be sufficient?

And should I get LED or LCD?

Thanks a lot for any help! My budget is only about £300-400.

Thanks again if anyone can point me to a good wesbite. I don't really want anyone to find me a screen, but some good sites, or even a great ebay shop would be good.

Thanks!

P.S, I am based in the UK, if that makes any difference

As Pufu said, if you can afford it - get an IPS panel (They aren't that expensive anymore tbh)

TN and VA are fine for TVs but the difference between those and IPS is night and day where monitors are concerned.

HP and Dell both make affordable 20-24" IPS monitors.

Dell:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-052-DE&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

HP:

http://www.ebuyer.com/204376-hp-zr24w-lcd-ips-24-dvi-d-monitor-vm633at-abu

I've been using HP ZR30Ws (The big brother of the HP 24" for a while now and I won't ever go back to TN/VA, just the service alone is fantastic. One of them developed a few stuck pixels and they had a new one delivered the next business day. Absolutely first rate service.

Edited by BangTail

+1 - those are the same monitors i would buy if i'd need one..

I've been using HP ZR30Ws (The big brother of the HP 24" for a while now and I won't ever go back to TB/VA, just the service alone is fantastic. One of them developed a few stuck pixels and they had a new one delivered the next business day. Absolutely first rate service.

I'd say that is normal when you pay close to 1000 EUs (about 1200 in my country) for one monitor :)

Well, I never got that from Dell. Their service is good but it was a few days, not the next business day.

But you're right, service can improve substantially when there is more cash involved ;)

I was also looking for a screen cover, one that reduces glare and blocks UV rays or something like that.

I´m going to buy a new monitor soon and I think I´ll get this one:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/665211

Question: Will I experience a significant performance decrease if I play Arma on the monitors native Resolution of 1920x1200 compared to the 1280x1204 resolution of my current Monitor?

GPU is Sapphire Toxic HD5850

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850_toxic/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850_toxic/5.htm

I´m going to buy a new monitor soon and I think I´ll get this one:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/665211

That is a good choice

Question: Will I experience a significant performance decrease if I play Arma on the monitors native Resolution of 1920x1200 compared to the 1280x1204 resolution of my current Monitor?

GPU is Sapphire Toxic HD5850

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850_toxic/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850_toxic/5.htm

i'm sorry i can't give you an exact answer, as i have never played arma (1 and 2) below 1680x1050.

In theory the decrease shouldn't be significant unless you run very high AA on that card.

No I think I will leave AA to normal and FXAA to 17 just as I do now if doesn´t cause problems

I guess you will notice, but it's playable with that card. You can run some tests now, just change 3d resolution and aspect ratio.

First off Happy Holidays folks of the forums.

I recently just got a new HAF case and an EVGA GTX 560ti 2048MB graphics card for Christmas. Today I was planning on getting all the old contents transferred to the new case and playing some Skyrim with the 560 ti :D

But, as always theirs problems..... Mainly the 560ti requires a Power supply wattage rating of 500 or greater, my current PSU is 500 watts so it only meets the requirement but then it also requires a 30 Amp rating on the 12 Volt Rail.

My psu only supports 18 amps max on the 12 volt rail, anyways I guess im buying myself another new part (money drain much).

That doesn't seem like a problem to me you say? Well the problem is that my house was built back in 1952, we have a 100 amp reading on the house i assume, I really don't know much more than that on the subject.

Is upgrading my PSU to this http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/tech-data/B004MYFODS/ref=de_a_smtd

going to start popping my house breakers or cause some form of damage to the electrical in my house? This PSU says it can allow 70 amp on the 12 volt rail.

It would really suck if i spent another 130 on the PSU only to find out once I hook it all up my fuses keep popping because my houses electrical is so out of date (don't even have ground on the wall socket)

All i know is that modern homes typically have 300 amps in them, according to a electrician/pool guy I talked to.

If this doesn't make sense im sorry im just as confused been trying to google things for hours on it, im hoping that i can just buy the new PSU and not have to worry about frying my homes electrical. :p

Also is 850watt good or should I just spend alittle extra getting 1000watt with a higher amperage limit?

Ill spend 200 dollars max.

Edited by Flash Thunder

Yup, you gonna need to get different PSU as the 18Amps is way too low.You're looking at something like 30amp + for single GFX, so 18Amps is not enough.

The TX850W should be a good choice though. Enough Amps / W even for SLI, should you want that in future and as long as your M board supports it and you have enough space in between.

Having HX 750 myself, I can recommend corsair, as I am happy enough with it ( noice, output etc..)

As of them plugs in your house, i guess you gonna need to put your PC to asleep before you switch on the cattle to get cup of coffee :p

Seriously though, I assume that as long as you dont use too many appliances at once, you should be ( hopefuly ) good.

I never see the need of getting overly powerful power supplys. 850 watt would be way enough. I would think something like a 600 Watt PSU. I am running a GTX 560ti Golden Sample, 4G of RAM, I5 750 quad core processor, 1TB HDD and other various things and I am on a 550 watt PSU.

I wouldn't waste the money on getting a PSU if you aren't going to use the watts.

Well he needs a new GPU because of the Amps.

Thats really a tricky question with your house.

Maybe we have a electrician in this Forum?

Mods please don´t close this Thread, he would never get an answer to that in the PC Discussion Thread

Well he needs a new GPU because of the Amps.

Thats really a tricky question with your house.

Maybe we have a electrician in this Forum?

Mods please don´t close this Thread, he would never get an answer to that in the PC Discussion Thread

+1 I'm curious too.

well im studying to become electrician so maybe I can help. If u check your fuse box it should contain number of fuses that are wired into different rooms. For example here in finland we usually have 10 amp fuse for a group, that contains lights and sockets. The voltage we use is 230w so yhe fuse holds up to 2300watts (current x voltage = watts) So u cab use 2 1000w heaters for example on that fuse, put a coffee machine on top of those 2 and the fuse will pop. So u can safely use 1000w power source on the said 10 amp fuse and u have 1300 w still left. This ofcourse varies what and how fuses are used.

ugh they merged my thread....

I guess I'm going to have to speak with an electrician on this one.

Sucks to live in an outdated home, not only poorly insulated, poorly equipped for modern electrical usage... FPDR

So after I looked at my fuse box, I see 20 amp fuses for multiple rooms/aspects like the fans/lights in our family room.

so using the formula P= I x V

20 amps X 110V = 2,200 Watts that seems like a lot of headway, its not like im going to SLI, im running one card, nothing else is new in my PC accept the case.

Im going to go ahead and purchase a modular PSU this one > http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Certified-Compatible/dp/B0029F21LA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325041823&sr=1-4

If it doesn't work guess then im shit out of luck and will be selling the graphics card and PSU on Craigslist...

Edited by Flash Thunder

ugh they merged my thread....

I guess I'm going to have to speak with an electrician on this one.

Sucks to live in an outdated home, not only poorly insulated, poorly equipped for modern electrical usage... FPDR

So after I looked at my fuse box, I see 20 amp fuses for multiple rooms/aspects like the fans/lights in our family room.

so using the formula P= I x V

20 amps X 110V = 2,200 Watts that seems like a lot of headway, its not like im going to SLI, im running one card, nothing else is new in my PC accept the case.

Im going to go ahead and purchase a modular PSU this one > http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Certified-Compatible/dp/B0029F21LA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325041823&sr=1-4

If it doesn't work guess then im shit out of luck and will be selling the graphics card and PSU on Craigslist...

you will be allright with that PSU. I bet it your system dosent even need more than 500w, so u have alot of head room with bigger PSU and with lighter load it might last a littlebit longer:)

Another question, when I get the new Monitor, is it better to connect it to the GPU with a DVI-D or with a Display Port cable?

@Flash T, if you really dont plan on going SLI, anything above 650W-750W 80/silver might be just waste of money and you might be better of getting new PSU in 3-4 years time.

Nonetheless, the (linked) supply is top of the range from corsair ( using seasonic parts afaik ) so it should work well enough for you, whatever decission you ll make

@Tonci87 you won't see no difference so it doesn't matter, for gaming, at all ;)

i already have a crap, HD 5450 1GB DDR3

i cant play battle field bad co 2 on even medium settings either arma 2

please suggest any good gaming graphics card from my pc

my pc specs are

core i5 2500 3.3 GHz

intel media series motherboard DH67BL

4GB RAM

windows 7 32 bit os

500 watts power supply