Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

Sweetest technique I learnt to make screens bigger at no extra price. Sit closer :D

But in honesty I would think 1920x1080 would be enough for 24" monitor.

If you get a 24" make it at least supports 1920x1200.

A lot of content supports 16:9, rather than 16:10. So I'd look for 1920x1080.

I have been considering getting a 3D monitor, are they worth it at this point or should I wait a while longer?

I'm not exactly sure much on monitors today, if getting a 24+ inch has some drawbacks with it. ; Should I be getting HD, should I get LED or LCD?

I'm not really a guru over monitors but i guess it depence what are your demands.I think most full HD 1920*1080 / 1920*1200 24'' LCD monitor will do the job just fine, if you don't feel the need to spend extra as 1920*1200 would be bit more expensive and i'm not entirely convinced its a must over 1920*1080, for few screen pixels more.

ISP / LED displays however should have better contrast ex: 200000:1 instead of 60000:1 and also have nice deep blacks, where white is truly white and not greyish. ( friend of mine has Dell 24'' ISP monitor and its colors are really much nicer compare to my LG LCD monitor )

As you know the latest monitors also supports 3D where 120HZ is bare minimum (60Hz for each eye) but you would also need higher end GPU to play games with 3D enabled.

I have no idea if arma 2 or even Arma 3 will support it though.

Why i mention the 120Hz + 3D monitors is they work well in 2D mode too and have a lot sharper, easier to read text and overall, thanks to its high refresh frequency.

Now to spare you af wall of boring txt:

Full HD 1920*1080 / 1920*1080

ISP / LED

24''

60HZ and/or more

High contrast - say, at least 100000:1

That's what I will/would be looking at for my next monitor

EDIT-@Katzee new 3D monitors are getting realeased all the time, it's like waiting for new PC hardware.

Nvidia however jsut realeased their 2nd gen stereoscopic glasses and 3D monitors are getting quite lot cheaper.Depence on what games your playing but in games that fully supports it i've read that bigger screen is lot better (at least 27'' or even lot more) , so maybe something to consider.

Edited by Bee8190
EDIT

Do you think it would be smart to buy an intel i7 2600k processor instead of the 2500k?

I've heard that there's not a big difference in fps in arma 2 between these two, but how about in arma 3?

Do you think BIS will support hyperthreading in the future so that the 2600k would be more future proof?

I doubt A3 will be using more than 4 cores/threads, but one can never know. The only game that is actually using all the threads today is BF3. That said, if the price difference is not an issue, i will go for the 2600k if i was you, there is nothing you can have to loose.

Do you think it would be smart to buy an intel i7 2600k processor instead of the 2500k?

I've heard that there's not a big difference in fps in arma 2 between these two, but how about in arma 3?

Do you think BIS will support hyperthreading in the future so that the 2600k would be more future proof?

I think the 2600 / 2700K would be better choice if you like to mess with loads of Ai in the editor or in SP..2500K is good enough IMO, at least for MP scene..

Second option - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-sandy-bridge,14144.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-intel-cpu-processor-specs,14083.html

It would be nice if we could get some statement or something from BIS if they're planning on adding support for hyperthreading. Because they don't have that now I guess ?

Thanks for the help guys, will probably buy the 2600k :)

T-Minus 6 weeks.........

CASE: Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case,

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

MOB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX

GPU: MSI R6990 HD 6990 4GB 256-bit GDDR5

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

HDD: Corsair Force 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

PSU: CORSAIR Pro Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI/CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

My electric bill is going to catch fire in the mail box, lol.

Now I can finally build a mission with 1000 AI like I saw on YouTube and be able to fully max out all graphics. And for the intel fanboys, Microsoft gets their processors from AMD:D

Now for my question: What the heck do I need to watercool and is it easy to do?

Edited by SPEKTRE76

Nice build - 4gb video card :eek:

You do realise that the 2500k kills that Dozer for gaming I'm sure :p

Not only that, but the Bulldozer is known to BSOD certain games (I know Shogun II was one and there are others but I don't remember OTTOMH)

I'd stick with Intel or non Bulldozer AMD CPUs (but preferably Intel).

Info on Bulldozer BSODs (I believe some of these may have been remedied but the fact that it happened at all is a red flag for me):

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/amd-bulldozer-can-it-get-even-worse/

PS: The 6990 is 2 x 2 GB (2GB per GPU), the RAM is not shared - JFYI :)

Edited by BangTail

Nice build - 4gb video card :eek:

You do realise that the 2500k kills that Dozer for gaming I'm sure :p

Might not be entirely the correct conclusion in this case..He intends heavy AI use in SP and thus i think the FX might be the better choice.

- http://cdn5.tweaktown.com/content/4/3/4357_09_amd_fx_8150_bulldozer_2600mhz_ddr_ram_overclocking_full.png

- http://assets.vr-zone.net/13704/x264.jpg

- http://assets.vr-zone.net/13704/crysis2.jpg

I personaly would have gone for higher RAM frequency though

EDIT- @BangTail, its a new architecture and as always even SSD's werent really ready to go from day one...B2 would sure be better :)

Edited by Bee8190

It was the right conclusion.

Bulldozer is a complete and total failure - where have you been?

PS: RAM frequency (above what he has) won't change a thing (+/- 1 FPS)

@ Your edit: Not really the best analogy as SSD's had no competition when they released (despite their teething problems) and Bulldozer is being beaten by CPUs that are significantly older than it.

AMD is out of the desktop CPU market anyway so I doubt we'll be seeing B2 :(

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-APU-Z-Series-ARM-Tegra-3,14114.html

Edited by BangTail

I'm certainly not impressed by the first series of FX but complete failure?I would't go this far unless you, as many others expected nothing less than 2600K crusher :)

Well, it was more to do with AMD's hype. The reality fell far short of what was promised.

The same is true of the Tahiti GPU's performance which they were saying was going to be roughly the same as the 6990's. Now we are finding out that it is more like 30% faster than a 6970.

At the end of the day, AMD leaving the desktop CPU arena is not something I am happy about, as Intel needs a viable competitor.

Edited by BangTail

I personaly would have gone for higher RAM frequency though

Yeah but I can OC this and AMD boards are only DDR2 and I think 1600MHz is as high as they go, which sucks but with all the RAM I will have I'll be good to go!

I priced an itel build with 64GB of 1800MHz ram and a 6 core i7 LGA2011 and it was 1k more than this one.

I may just do that and slowly get the rest of the parts as I go.

The MOBO and RAM and CPU come out to $2700+ USD alone.

:yay:

Yeah but I can OC this and AMD boards are only DDR2 and I think 1600MHz is as high as they go, which sucks but with all the RAM I will have I'll be good to go!

I priced an Intel build with 64GB of 1800MHz ram and a 6 core i7 LGA2011 and it was 1k more than this one.

I may just do that and slowly get the rest of the parts as I go.

The MOBO and RAM and CPU come out to $2700+ USD alone.

:yay:

Loving my 2011 although it isnt going to help much as far as gaming goes (FrostByte 2 will benefit among a select few).

Definitely seeing the benefits in After Effects and Photoshop!

If you are after a fast gaming rig, I would go with 2600K before 2011 purely from a price perspective.

If you can spend the cash, 2011 all the way bud :D

Edited by BangTail

Loving my 2011 although it isnt going to help much as far as gaming goes (FrostByte 2 will benefit among a select few).

Definitely seeing the benefits in After Effects and Photoshop!

If you are after a fast gaming rig, I would go with 2600K before 2011 purely from a price perspective.

If you can spend the cash, 2011 all the way bud :D

Oh I also use Adobe Illustrator CS5, Photoshop CS5 x64, Light Room v3.1, Alias Sketch Pro, 3DS Max 2010 64x and Dasault Systemes CATIA v5.0

I'm also going to buy a CAM suite for my CNC machine build. This way I can start making my own custom cases for PC's.

You see my sig, I will be able to engrave that on my custom case!

If you use productivity software, no reason not to go with 2011 :D

Edited by BangTail

especially since you are using demanding software capable of taking full advantage of cores and threads available, the AMD FX should be the last option on the list. Hell, even the 2600k is better for this sort of software. Indeed, like bangtail suggests, the 2011 6 cores are well above all the others...even the old gen 6 cores

Maybe I'm being a cheapo but I just don't see how you would benefit from LGA2011 compare to 2600K.(lets leave the FX behind for now)

IMO even if you'd use 3|dmax, aftereffects, CS5 etc.. extensively the benefit from 2600K to LGA2011 must be just too negligible to justify the (such) premium price of LGA board and CPU alone when the difference in completed task would be only seconds, at best.

Haven't seen any benchmarks as of yet proving otherwise but i suppose as with everything, if the price is no object why not :)

Maybe I'm being a cheapo but I just don't see how you would benefit from LGA2011 compare to 2600K.(lets leave the FX behind for now)

IMO even if you'd use 3|dmax, aftereffects, CS5 etc.. extensively the benefit from 2600K to LGA2011 must be just too negligible to justify the (such) premium price of LGA board and CPU alone when the difference in completed task would be only seconds, at best.

Haven't seen any benchmarks as of yet proving otherwise but i suppose as with everything, if the price is no object why not :)

~23% faster in Photoshop.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Core-i7-3960X-Extreme-Edition-CPU-Review/1429/8

I'm noticing it in PS CS5 and 23% is significant AFAIAC. It may not be for you, but then again, I think you are basing your opinion on price while I base mine purely on performance.

It doesn't blow the doors of the Hexcore 9xx CPUs, but if you are buying now, the 3930K (You can get 3960X performance from this CPU with ridiculous ease - and beyond) is a much better solution than a 990x IMHO.

Of course, this all comes down to price. This is high end enthusiast gear and it comes at a premium. If you are on a budget, this is not the gear I would recommend but I have spoken with SPEKTRE before and from the things he has said, I get the impression he is willing to spend the extra money.

X79 motherboards really aren't that expensive, you can pick up a decent one for $250.00 so I wouldn't say that is a particularly compelling argument against the 2011 platform (especially in the realm of enthusiast level systems).

In conclusion, the 2600K is a great processor, but if you want the best (especially for productivity), the 2011 platform is where it's at.

Edited by BangTail

Rendering...

I am working in motion graphics as a freelance. The last project i had was a motion clip 4min long, where i had to setup, preview and render a lot of frames in max.

My 6core 970 saved the day. The other lad that i was working with had a older generation HP CAD station, Xeon driven. Still, the 970 was 150 to 200% faster in all CPU and RAM intensive operations: max, vue, ae.

So, all in all, the gain is not neglijable. If i can cut 10s seconds off one render image worth 100s (10%), for 2000 frames, i gain a LOT of time. And i am not even talking about test renders or previews here.

Hi All,

I am going to buy a new screen for my PC soon. However I have absolutely NO idea where on earth to purchase one from. I do not want to go to an overpriced high street shop, I would rather buy online, as that is usually cheaper?

I am looking for a good gaming monitor, with at least 75hz refresh rate and 1920x1080p. I am not sure exactly what size to go for, would 26" be sufficient?

And should I get LED or LCD?

Thanks a lot for any help! My budget is only about £300-400.

Thanks again if anyone can point me to a good wesbite. I don't really want anyone to find me a screen, but some good sites, or even a great ebay shop would be good.

Thanks!

P.S, I am based in the UK, if that makes any difference