Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

)rStrangelove;1825189']Nice rig' date=' spektre. If you play ArmA2 with a 20GB ramdisk i guess you can forget everything related to 'lag'. :D

I'm not a big crysis fan so forgive me if i say that you'll probably get bored after playing through it. After that ppl always come back to ArmA :)[/quote']

Yeah it will be as long as 'the wife' lets me get it. I built a cheaper rig on Tiger Direct and I even had the six core i7 980 extreme on it but the board I picked only supported 12GB of RAM just under $2600 USD.

There another config I have now with 3 GTX 470's the i7 980x and 24GB of RAM. I just had to get rid of the SSD and the Bluray ROM-RW and the RAM was demoted to 1333MHz which I am sure I can clock out to 1600MHz or higher.....I hope. Just under $3,300 USD.

Edited by SPEKTRE76

@Spektre

Spending so much money for Crysis 2, you will have finished in probably less then 5 houres and never touch again? :D

And probably no other game or application will benefit from more than 12Gb (i would even say 6Gb) of Ram in the next 2-3 Years (when your system will be old). With that, you could take another EVGA Motherboard, which is cheaper and probably do the same for you.

The I7 980x CPU has a bad performance/price ratio. You would be happier with a I7 950 overlclocked to 4GHz and a Corsair WaterCooler.

If you are happy with Benchmark tests, go for the Tripple SLI. Otherwise, take a single GTX-580. If you like MicroStutter, take a second one.

I would prefer two 128Gb SSD. One for the System and and one for Programm/Games.

For the Money you still have left, take the wife to a nice weekendtrip to her favorite town, dinner and buy a bigger monitor :cool:

Do what you wanna do, that above is just my opinion.

Cya

@Spektre

Spending so much money for Crysis 2, you will have finished in probably less then 5 houres and never touch again? :D

And probably no other game or application will benefit from more than 12Gb (i would even say 6Gb) of Ram in the next 2-3 Years (when your system will be old). With that, you could take another EVGA Motherboard, which is cheaper and probably do the same for you.

The I7 980x CPU has a bad performance/price ratio. You would be happier with a I7 950 overlclocked to 4GHz and a Corsair WaterCooler.

If you are happy with Benchmark tests, go for the Tripple SLI. Otherwise, take a single GTX-580. If you like MicroStutter, take a second one.

I would prefer two 128Gb SSD. One for the System and and one for Programm/Games.

For the Money you still have left, take the wife to a nice weekendtrip to her favorite town, dinner and buy a bigger monitor :cool:

Do what you wanna do, that above is just my opinion.

Cya

The 980x was never a good choice for gaming and definitely not considering the reviews of the 2500k and 2600K which are much cheaper and comparable or better in most cases (where gaming is concerned). They'll be released (along with the 1155 motherboards) in 6 days.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested/1

Comprehensive list/advice:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/905218-sandy-bridge-reviews-information-benchmarks-discussions.html

Microstutter is highly subjective. I personally don't notice it at all with SLI and I have extensive experience with multiple GPUs. There are definitely issues with CF and the newer AMD cards at the moment (5xxx and 6xxx series) but these are driver issues more than anything else.

Unless you actually utilize applications that require 24GB of RAM (AKA not games), it is a total waste of money and will not help Crysis 2 (and most likely any other game being released in the next 2 years).

Edited by BangTail

It's more for what I do most which is Photoshop, Illustrator and Max. You wouldn't believe what Illustrator will do to a processor when you ask to. Not mention my RAM. I have 8GB DDR3 1066MHz now and man those programs sure can bring my system down.

Current specs:

AMD Phenom II X910 2.8GHz

Crucial Technologies DDR3 1066Mhz

ATi/AMD HD4890 1GB GDDR5

Antec 650w PSU

Segate 1TB HDD

So, as you can see not great however I can play A2:OA on Very High 1920 x 1080 and 3D 1920 x 1080. I just can't have HDR on or Post Process Effects.

Basically I want a Graphics Workstation with the ability to game. And I can't use an ATi Fire GL or PNY Quadro to game with.

Took some advice and this is another build I came up with:

SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS ARES/2DIS/4GD5 Radeon HD 5870 X2 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with ...

COUGAR CMX 1000 COUGAR-1000CMX 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC ...

Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV7312G1600ELK

ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

$2387.60 USD

I’ll be using my HDD from this computer until I can get the SSD’s I want.

Edited by SPEKTRE76
new build

It's more for what I do most which is Photoshop, Illustrator and Max. You wouldn't believe what Illustrator will do to a processor when you ask to.

Oh, I'd believe it ;)

Oh, I'd believe it ;)

My PC does too, LOL. Poor thing...it's going out to pasture in a month and a half.

:)

It's more for what I do most which is Photoshop, Illustrator and Max. You wouldn't believe what Illustrator will do to a processor when you ask to. Not mention my RAM. I have 8GB DDR3 1066MHz now and man those programs sure can bring my system down.

I have the following configuration for having a pseudo-workstation able to play games as well, recently built PC:

* Intel i7 970 6Core 3.2Ghz (OCed @4Ghz)

* Corsair H70 WaterCooler

* Gigabyte X58-UD7 rev2.0

* 12GB(3x4GB) Mushkin 1600Mhz

* Sapphire AMD 6970HD 2GB DDR5

* 2x1TB Caviar Black 7200 Sata3 64MB buffer

* Zalman MS1000 HS1(great airflow)

* Nexus Tranquility Power 1000W PSU Modular (80Plus certified)

* Dell P2411H Professional Monitor 24'

* Windows 7 64bit Ultimate OEM

2600EU ~ 3400USD

I use AutoCad, 3ds MAX, PS, Indesign and Illustrator on a daily basis

The SSD will come eventually. The H70 works magic: 17-19 degrees Idle, 35-40 full load on the CPU

I'm looking to buy a laptop that can run A2 and OA as well as regular programs, but not one thats gonna cost me too much $$$ keep it under 800USD.

I'm looking for one that has:

*Intel i7 processor

*6GB Ram

*-100 GB Harddrive

*Nvidia GeForce graphics card (whatever will run it)

I've looked all over but come up empty, Hopefully I can get someone with more knowledge on how to look to find one that fits what I'm looking for.

For 800$ you will not find a new i7 laptop with dedicated GPU (yet). Or if you do find it for this price it will not have any GPU or good resolution LCD etc.. Maybe you have a local computer club that offers machines that have been used for a nice price, but remember a laptop can be easaly damaged! If you don't find one i could send you one from Holland but we use 220V here meaning you have to buy a new adapter :bounce3:

I've been looking all over but I can't find what I'm looking for.

I've looked at the following sites: Walmart, Best Buy, Radioshack, ASUS, Dell, ACER, and Alienware.

I've come up empty handed.

I'm tempted to try your offer larsiano, but you'd have to include the adapter.

Hey, i'm just waiting for my i2500K too. Still looking for a "silent" GTX570. :)

Thanks BangTail, I'll look into this.

You dont expect to have to re-install windows if you change your gpu - what's the world coming to?

:mad::confused::(

Hi,

I have the HIS Radeon HD 6870 and never ran into a problem (Windows 7, 64-bit). You should try resetting your CMOS (a tiny memory device inside your computer for your BIOS) before trying anything extreme. After this, restart/turn on your computer with the card inserted and connected up). See your motherboards manual or Google search on how to do it. If you can't find anything, PM me and I may be able to help.

Edited by hungrytoheal

and i want set new PC

limit of money will not be shown, cause each country has other prices on the same elements, if something costs in Poland 600 Euro, in west countries it will cost 500 ;/

so my limit is ca. 500 EU for complete PC (looking at your prices)

but i think about folloowing setup :

Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB from ASUS (or MSI Cyclone is expensive but is more silent ? i think about silent work, also i want this to run fluently Arma2 on 1600*1050 px 22 LCD )

AMD 4core model 965 (3.4 ) + extra silent fan

what could be good and cheap motherboard for AM3 ? what chipset ? what is important (i am not hardware expert, i don't want double VGA, but i think about e-sata in case when i will have anoter disc for "important data")

what company makes reliable, long-life HD now ?

i had HDD crash some time ago with Westland (Caviar ?) i want safe disc that i don't loose data even after 5-10 years

i want long life HDD for it

but i have no idea what motherboard would be good, or Asus is the best and most reliable ?

and what power unit for this setup ? 500 ? 600 W ? or more ?

if CPU takes 125W, VGA takes ca. 160 W (460 GTX chipset) , than what should be power unit for it ? (as i said, i don't plan doubled VGAs, no sound cards, only DVD-R, maybe second HD disc )

Edited by vilas

Well you should probably get an 600-860W PSU if it's not too expensive.

But in my opinion, that video card isn't a very good option. You should get something a bit newer while you're buying because video cards become quickly outdated in todays gaming industry. Look at the specifications of different video cards and try to find the best value card with a high graphics processing core (video memory is not overly important compared to this).

Your CPU is definitely sufficient.

As far as motherboards go I'm not too sure, you'll have to look into it. You can seek recommendation from others, but it is ultimately up to you to decide what you need. If you are considering doing SLI/CrossFire in the near future (which you never know, you may want to), you will need two PCI-E x16 slots. Anything between $100-250 will USUALLY be all you need, but make sure it has everything your looking for, as well as compatibility with your other hardware!

So when you're deciding on what components to use when building a PC, it's a good idea to think a few years ahead where possible. Most graphics cards will become fairly outdated after a year or so, your motherboard should last you many years should you choose one which has all the perks you need. The CPU you have chosen should last you a good three years at best.

Good luck!

Edited by hungrytoheal

460 is enough expensive for east europe conditions, motherboard for $ 250 ? (i have ca. 600 USD for all set with US prices)

ooo i thought about motherboard for 70-90 USD

main problem for me is to choose MB company and HD company, Asus only or other things

About PSUs. The worst thing you can buy is an oversized one. A mid range gaming rig needs no more than 500W max. I have a 525W PSU. When I'm running benchmarks the rig only needs max 390W so there is still enough room for an upgrade ...

As for Motherboards: Asus, Gigabyte, AsRock, EVGA etc... it's really up to you. Only thing is you need to know what you want and what you can afford. In the range between 70-100€ you should find a good one.

I'm quite happy with my WD HDDs. One Caviar Blue 640GB and two Caviar Green 1TB+2TB. I never had any Problems with those.

The OS and the most important programs + Arma 2 are on an Intel SSD (that thing was about 400€ when I bought it^^)

The rig is about 1,5 years old and I'm still very happy with it.

Edited by Derbysieger

so you think that for example Corsair PSU 500W or 600W would be better for my setup (quadcore AMD, Nvidia 460 GTX, no-sli, no-external soundblaster, only DVD-R and 2 HD and 4 GB Ram ) ?

i have no idea what is consumption of rest

they told me that VGA and CPU eat max 160+125=290 W

what should be "power consumption coeficient" in PC ?

as i know loudspeakers should be twice stronger than amplituner

but how it looks on PC, if your PC "eat" 400W max, than 500 or 600 W PSU for it ? or "quality Tagan/Corsair 500W = cheap chinese 600W noname" ?

and about motherboards - should i look at any special things (or all modern have PCI slots etc. ?)

i heard about PCI and PCI-E and E-Sata (for speed discs as i heard)

i think is USB3 neccesary as no camera has USB3 yet, not even Canon EOS 7D or 60D

or external disc has it ?

my friend told me "if you need fast disc, buy flash-disc, instal there game and OS and game will be flying high cause flash discs are fastest thing that can be"

is it true ?

than it will be USB3 or E-Sata ?

Edited by vilas

Well I have a Cougar CMX 550W PSU and I´m really happy with it. Its very quiet and keeps everything cool

http://www.cougar-world.de/en/products/power-supply/cougar-cmx.html

My System

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

Sapphire 5850HD Toxic

1 DVD player

1 DVD player+Writer

1 Harddisk

Some USB Stuff

I wouldn´t buy some cheap Chinese no name PSU, it can really ruin your day if your processor or GPU breaks because of a bad PSU witout proper safety functions.

Flash Disks are waaaay faster than normal HDDs but they normally have less GB and are cost much much more €/GB

so you think that for example Corsair PSU 500W or 600W would be better for my setup (quadcore AMD, Nvidia 460 GTX, no-sli, no-external soundblaster, only DVD-R and 2 HD and 4 GB Ram ) ?

i have no idea what is consumption of rest

they told me that VGA and CPU eat max 160+125=290 W

what should be "power consumption coeficient" in PC ?

as i know loudspeakers should be twice stronger than amplituner

but how it looks on PC, if your PC "eat" 400W max, than 500 or 600 W PSU for it ? or "quality Tagan/Corsair 500W = cheap chinese 600W noname" ?

that's pretty much it. Corsair/Cougar/Seasonic/Enermax etc. they all make good PSUs. A 600W or even 800W PSU on a system like the one you're planning is a waste of money plus they consume more power on that kind of config than a good 500W PSU. I think my Sys wich is still a fast one gives you a good idea about powerconsumption. Remember that the rig is OC'ed.

and about motherboards - should i look at any special things (or all modern have PCI slots etc. ?)

i heard about PCI and PCI-E and E-Sata (for speed discs as i heard)

i think is USB3 neccesary as no camera has USB3 yet, not even Canon EOS 7D or 60D

or external disc has it ?

Most new MBs have USB 3.0. Important is PCI-E 2.0 x16 for your graphicscard. Everything else is up to you. Do you need an internal graphicschip? How much RAM are you planning to use? How many HDDs and DVD drives? etc. then you make the decision.

my friend told me "if you need fast disc, buy flash-disc, instal there game and OS and game will be flying high cause flash discs are fastest thing that can be"

is it true ?

First of all I don't think that an SSD is in your budget. It's still about 150€ for 80GB (Intel). But it makes a HUGE difference if you're working a lot with Photoshop and other programs like that. Games don't profit that much from a SSD. They only shorten loading times for most games. Arma2 is different though. When I moved Arma 2 to my SSD most LOD problems where gone as well as micro stuttering.

Edited by Derbysieger

http://www.agito.pl/podzespoly-pc/plyty-glowne/asus/socket-938-am3/79,1-8849,264-428918,946-47112,cena-+400.html

dont know what to use

1 PLN = .25 Eurocents , choice below 100 Euro

are those disc for system ?

# SATA/300 (199)

# SATA/600 (15)

# USB 2.0 (207)

# USB 3.0 (32)

# FireWire 400 (4)

# FireWire 800 (10)

# eSATA (19)

i have no idea :|

Any of these will do fine (except the ones with nForce chip).

If you want to OC your CPU you probably shouldn't buy the cheapest.

If you say I really never want to use CF or SLI then one PCI-E x16 slot is enough. All except the two with nForce chip (I wouldn't recommend them anyway) have 6 SATA ports so you can put in max. 2x DVD drive + 4x HDDs or 1x DVD + 5x HDDs for example.

My choice would be the M4A87TD EVO or one of the M4A77T/TD MBs. It really depends on your budget and on your needs.

i'll never have double VGAs

so what would be choice of HD than ?

i don't get all those Sata, Ata, Esata etc. words

if it works with ram of speed 1333 it means i should buy RAM with 1333 and not 1600

will i note difference between RAM 1333 and 1600 ? (Arma, Corel, Photoshop's ?)

there are some MB around 350 zlotys

if i don't use dual VGA, should i pay more for speed of RAM , maybe it is important and i should (i will have 4GB > 2* (sold paired) 2GB of RAM )

probably it is noticeable for someone who make addons and play Arma ? isnt it ?

Edited by vilas

HDD: Samsung, Western Digital etc ...

You should buy one 7200rpm HDD, e.g. Caviar Black or Spinpoint F3, for OS and Programs and one 5200rpm 1TB or 2TB HDD for data. If you can afford a SSD go for it instead of the 7200rpm HDD.

1333 is usually enough. I got my CPU nearly up to 4GHz with mine. It's Corsair 1333MHz RAM. If it doesn't make a huge difference in prize I'd go for 1600MHz though^^ 2x2GB RAM should be enough for the beginning. If you feel the need for more RAM get 4GB more... Just make sure you have a 64Bit OS.

When I was watching some 300mp pics from http://hubblesite.org the ram usage got up to 5GB. But I rarely use more than 4GB

Edited by Derbysieger