Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

CF is sadly lacking in Arma 2. Some reviews show them to be close but the reality is SLI is way better in Arma 2 (and everywhere else)

I've used both extensively and I will never go CF again without witnessing a massive improvement first hand.

I assume this is the right place to ask.

My soundcard recently pack in so I'm now using the onboard soundcard of my Asus P5Q3. I use headphones when playing Arma 2 and I was looking to using the headphone port on the front panel of my tower. The problem was that there was a lot of static and other noise due to interferance from the hardware in my PC. I read around and found people saying that if you disconnect the front panel USB and SATA cable from the motherboard it should help. It didn't. I then read that removing the grounding wire for the front panel solves the problem. It did.

So my question is this. What dangers are there to having no grounding wire here? I know what grounding wires are for but I just wanted some other opinions on the matter and whether or not I'm putting some of my hardware at risk.

If you mean a grounded wall socket you dont need one but it would be best for your system at all time. If you mean removing the ground signal from the audioport i dont think that is what +, - and ground are ment for to have it functioning correctly. Removing a Sata cable for this will offer no solution. All you can do is reseat the audio cable (turn off PC> disconnect cable and reseat on both ends) and blow clear the input hole with compressed air. also check the cable and socket for damage. In some motherboard BIOS is an option for the front audio panel compatibility: look for : integrated prefs.:> front panel audio > set this to HDaudio if possible (check mobo manual for info how to get in BIOS) gl.

It's the ground wire for the HDAudio cable, USB cable and eSATA cable from the front panel of my case that connect to the motherboard. The ground wire comes out of the front panel and attaches to the chasis. Removing all these (except the HDAudio cable) clears all the static and distortion. I'm just hoping that I'm not going to do any damage by removing this wire. Also for the sake of experimenting, having the grounding wire removed and USB cable plugged in caused static.

Does anyone know if you can replace the graphics card of a Dell Inspiron with an ATI DX11 card?
If the new GPU has the same connector (prob. PCI-e) and your notebook has sufficient power it should be no problem. Only installing it is not the easiest task you can find in PC-country

If the new GPU has the same connector (prob. PCI-e) and your notebook has sufficient power it should be no problem. Only installing it is not the easiest task you can find in PC-country

It's a desktop, not a notebook. I'm wondering if an ATI DX11 graphics card can fit in the case.

It's a desktop, not a notebook. I'm wondering if an ATI DX11 graphics card can fit in the case.
"Dell Inspiron" =notebook! you mean XPS, demention or optiplex for desktop. Anyway. If you get a highend card you will need 600W PSU easy to make it work, so just make sure you got it !

"Dell Inspiron" =notebook! you mean XPS, demention or optiplex for desktop. Anyway. If you get a highend card you will need 600W PSU easy to make it work, so just make sure you got it !

Here is the PC I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Desktop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X4+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive/9941275.p?id=1218198437877&skuId=9941275

Will an ATI Radeon fit in the case?

Wee bit out of date there, they replaced the Dimension branding with Inspiron a few years back. Go look at your nearest Dell site.

sesdelta: Depends on how good the PSU inside the Dell is.

My tax return gift to myself. Note the GTX480 may get replaced with a GTX 580 if in stock at New Egg

1. NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel Full Tower Computer Case

2. 2 x EVGA 015-P3-1480-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5
  3. IN WIN COMMANDER IRP-COM1200 1200W ATX 12V 2.3 / EPS 12V 2.91 SLI

4. Patriot Gamer Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

5. EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

6. Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

7. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
  8. COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
  9. SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM
  10. Patriot Inferno PI240GS25SSDR 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

:yay:

You're going to have a blast :) I just recently built a new rig and ArmA2 has taken on a whole new shine.

Nice Rig you have coming there. For what purpose did you buy it? Arma alone or for other games too?

What kind of monitor will you use on those Graphiccards? 24" or 30" monitor? Or will you go for a triple screen setup?

You thinking about overclocking the CPU? With a good cooler, it will do easely 3.6 Ghz. Even 4Ghz is possible. You would gain much for ArmA. :cool:

A lot of memory have you planned? Mainly for 3DSMAX and Photoshop, i assume? Because ingame you wont use 1/4th of it... :rolleyes:

Have fun with it when you receive it :).

best regards

Nice Rig you have coming there. For what purpose did you buy it? Arma alone or for other games too?

What kind of monitor will you use on those Graphiccards? 24" or 30" monitor? Or will you go for a triple screen setup?

I am getting ready for Crysis 2. We all know what happened last time when the first one was released. The most powerful systems were brought to thier knees.

Additionally I need more power for Photoshop, Illustrator, 3DS Max and Solidworks.

I am using a dual screen set up ATM. The second screen (while in game) acts as my system monitor. I have Catalyst Control Center - ATi Overdrive up along with Task Manager under the Perfomance Tab. I also have my CPU meter widget running too. Main screen is 23" LED and the secondary is 22" LCD.

This way I can see how hard and how hot my system is getting while playing.

Im guessing you'll have more than just an ssd for media storage? Nice specs!

Yeah, I have a 1TB Segate external HDD soley for storage. The SSD with hold my OS, Games and Art/Modelling programs. Files/Music/Movies ect... will be stored on the external.

Edited by SPEKTRE76

Jeez, nice! You sure that mobo can support 24GB of RAM?

Dells normally come with a 350 watt PSU unless you get an XPS, so no, a new graphics card will NOT work unless you get a new Power Supply.

Jeez, nice! You sure that mobo can support 24GB of RAM?

Model

Brand EVGA

Model 141-GT-E770-A1 Supported CPU

CPU Socket Type LGA 1366

CPU Type Core i7 (LGA1366) Chipsets

North Bridge Intel X58

South Bridge Intel ICH10R Memory

Number of Memory Slots 6×240pin

Memory Standard DDR3 1600

Maximum Memory Supported 24GB

Channel Supported Triple Channel Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16 2 x PCIe x8/x16

2 x PCIe x8

PCI Express x1 1

PCI Slots 1 Storage Devices

PATA 1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max

SATA 3Gb/s 6

SATA 6Gb/s 2 x SATA 6Gb/s Onboard Video

Onboard Video Chipset None Onboard Audio

Audio Chipset Realtek ALC889

Audio Channels 8 Channels Onboard LAN

LAN Chipset Realtek 8111D

Second LAN Chipset Realtek 8111D

Max LAN Speed Dual 10/100/1000Mbps Rear Panel Ports

PS/2 1

USB 1.1/2.0 8 x USB 2.0

USB 3.0 2 x USB 3.0

IEEE 1394 1 x IEEE 1394a

Audio Ports 6 Ports Onboard USB

Onboard USB 4 x USB 2.0 Onboard 1394

Onboard 1394 1 x 1394a Physical Spec

Form Factor Extended ATX

Dimensions 12" x 10.38"

Power Pin 24 Pin Features

Features NVIDIA 2-Way and 3-Way SLI support.

ATI CrossFireX

10+3 Phase PWM w/ switching frequency up to 1333KHz

100% Solid State Capacitors

EVGA Vdroop Control

EVGA Dummy OC

EVGA E-LEET Tuning Utility

More Gold Content

EVGA EZ Voltage read points

Onboard Clear CMOS, Power, and Reset Buttons

PCI-E Disable Jumpers

EVGA EVbot Support

Onboard CPU Temperature Monitor

Meh, unless u can top this guy:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1810825&postcount=342

You shouldn't get a separate thread.

I can make that image in Photoshop too.

16 core processors? Unless he is running dual 8 core Xeons with a server motherboard or 2 AMD 'Magny Cours' 12 core CPU's........

62GB of total RAM?

:rolleyes:

Edited by SPEKTRE76

Nice rig, spektre. If you play ArmA2 with a 20GB ramdisk i guess you can forget everything related to 'lag'. :D

I'm not a big crysis fan so forgive me if i say that you'll probably get bored after playing through it. After that ppl always come back to ArmA :)

I can make that image in Photoshop too.

16 core processors? Unless he is running dual 8 core Xeons with a server motherboard or 2 AMD 'Magny Cours' 12 core CPU's........

62GB of total RAM?

:rolleyes:

It isn't Photoshopped at all and he has 48GB of RAM iirc.

He's running 2 quad core Xeons that have 8 cores each (4 Physical, 4 virtual per) hence the 16 cores.

Edited by BangTail