Sign in to follow this  
tractorking

Lowest CPU in use

We all have seen the threads of what super systems ARMA can run on, but what about the oldest slowest and weakest systems.

Dont make rants about optimisation and what not.

I just want a poll of how well its running for those with older slower machines.

Im running:

Windows XP

Pentium 4 hyperthreading 3.0Ghz (2cpu) which is really one cpu that thinks its 2

2Gs of Ram

ATI Radeon 4850 1G (yes I know big card for weak processor, I upgraded for Arma2 from an Nv 8600GT)

Matrox Triple Head 3072x768 in both ARMA settings.

This machine is about 6years old.

ARMA2 runs between 15-25 fps with all settings at normal but is generally smooth and playable even when FPS drop to 10-20 its still smooth and playable. Dist@2500

Ive done some of the recommended tweaks and use FPS helper but over all not much diffrence in frames (+/- 2-5fps) with or without. Ive actually gone back to letting ARMA settings work it out with good results.

The campaign was playable but had a few slow moments.

So Im running a way outdated machine with a modern card, not enough ram really and a huge display area over 3 screens. This is fine, I would like to see better but I have seen 40-60fps on the intro carrier scene so I know its all ok and just the limitations of my old machine.

The funny comparison is to see people with brand new Quad core processors and 4gigs of ram using SLI who say its upplayable. Not that I am doubting theyre experiences, I would just like to see who is running lower spec systems and how they faired.

Let the community speak.

we just not happy are we, i run q6600 (overclocked to 3.1GHz), 9800gtx+ 4gb ram. when i get a touch of lag, i moan like hell.

then some people just keep on playing and having fun and keep it to themelves :)

we just not happy are we, i run q6600 (overclocked to 3.1GHz), 9800gtx+ 4gb ram. when i get a touch of lag, i moan like hell.

then some people just keep on playing and having fun and keep it to themelves :)

Maybe that's the trick: play and enjoy the game without looking at the FPS counter every couple of seconds. ;)

I have 2 computers, I'm running Arma 2 on my newest computer which is about 4 years old, Pentium4 AMD 64 athlon x2 2.0 GHz, 2 gigs of ram, MSI ATI 4850 radeon 512 mb's, 226GB hardrive. I was wanting to put alot of my hardware into my other pc in the other room, its a Pentium 4 3.20 GHz HT, but its pretty much the same as yours, its one CPU that thinks its two. ARMA 2 runs just fine on my PC usually getting 30-35 FPS on multiplayer all settings on Normal with out the FPShelpers and that kind of stuffs!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Demon575 watch my youtube videos :D

Maybe that's the trick: play and enjoy the game without looking at the FPS counter every couple of seconds. ;)

im used to constant COD4 smooth play, ya know what i saying woole? not a jerk is how i like it

Is it hard when you notice the choppy gameplay.

Yeah it helps alot, I was pulling my hair out whenever I had fraps on and would see a drop. Stop, Options, setting this...settings that....

Drove me nuts until finally I decided that it was fine and turned off the Fraps.

Now I dont notice a thing. Maybe when the JTF smoke and fire is at full glory in the middle town with 500AI.

I have been making my own scenerios in the editor and have played the campaign thru with not too much problem.

Sometimes in the planes at the very beginning of the mission it freezes but after all the textures are loaded once, its pretty ok. If you change a setting you have to wait a few minutes and stand around in one place to let all the textures load and stabilize before you can really grade the change.

When I start worrying about FPS too much I watch this and get a reality check:

I usually get ~20-30fps but it still plays fine to me. I don't get the "choppy" effect like I see in other games with the same FPS, and it still seems smooth.

QFT.

Too many people are too worried about the little yellow numbers.

Eth

i didnt bothered to show those little yellow numbers except testing, maybe thats why i am happy about the playing with my aging mid-low range rig.

Test the latest beta.

I managed to step up in resolution. Was unthinkable before.

Just a tip to see whats being worked on - and maybe lets you stop looking at FPS counters (dont know why you would need one though? Easy enough to see when it "chops" lol).

It's really not about the fps counter...

Problem is:

If you want a nice looking arma2, you have to live with slow fps and choppy gameplay.

If you want smooth gameplay, you have to live with a "not so nice" looking arma2.

If you want both(what we all want), you have to play another game, wait for the community to fix the fps problems or wait for BIS to fix them.

At the moment, it looks like the community is going to fix it.

MfG Lee

It's really not about the fps counter...

Problem is:

If you want a nice looking arma2, you have to live with slow fps and choppy gameplay.

If you want smooth gameplay, you have to live with a "not so nice" looking arma2.

If you want both(what we all want), you have to play another game, wait for the community to fix the fps problems or wait for BIS to fix them.

At the moment, it looks like the community is going to fix it.

MfG Lee

But my ArmA2 is looking nice, and is not choppy either.

Mine is pretty much completely CPU limited, i play with most settings on high with 200% fillrate and it runs pretty much the same as with everything on low. Looks great though, and IMO its always playable.

And i dont see the community fixing the CPU-demandingness of ArmA2 to be honest.