Sign in to follow this  
Relemar

difference between m4 and m16?

what is the difference with the M4 M203 ACOG and the M16 M203 ACOG. is there any real difference?

range, accuracy?, power?

real or game ?

in real M4 has short range

in real life statistics give M4 350 meters while M16 effective for 500 meters

effective range is function not only of power but also of accuracy of bullet shot by rifle at given distance

in game BIS made too big difference

BIS gave 300 m for M4 and 600 for M16 maxAIrange

so difference is WHETHER AI enemy will fire to you or not, whether your team member AI will start to fire at target 400 meters away or not

range is not different for you as a player, this config setting affects ONLY AI

BIS also gave difference in accuracy, which is true and done correctly, but probably as a player you won't see difference at 200 meters , if you will start fire at enemy 400 m away ,you will notice difference

the same goes to for example AKS74U and AK74 difference

in real life you can use AK74 for 400-500 meters while AKS74U for 200-250 meters cause you won't hit accurately from short barreled and short aim-line weapon at long distance

BIS screwed AKS74U totally cause gave the same characteristics as for long barreled AK74

if you ask about real life weapons differences :

- the longer barrel the more accurate at longer distance

- iron sight vs. scope giving soldier ability to see target further

- flat or not flat balistic curve of ammo , NATO 5.56 ammunition is more accurate than AK 7.62 etc.

in games many things are screwed

Edited by vilas

Also the most obvious difference: unlike the M4, the M16 does not have a full auto mode, only 3-round burst. :)

M4 ingame is..

Lighter, better handling.

Shorter, better manouverability in buildings etc.

A1 version has fully automatic.

M4 dispersion is greater, less accuracy.

Also the most obvious difference: unlike the M4, the M16 does not have a full auto mode, only 3-round burst. :)

M16A3 for marines have full auto

M4 has burst

M4A1 has auto

M16A3 for marines have full auto

There's an M16A3 in the game? :confused:

There's an M16A3 in the game? :confused:

theres one included with the Navy SEALs addon that was released. check armaholic.

i believe only the A2 and A4 are in game by default, correct?

i believe only the A2 and A4 are in game by default, correct?

Yeah, I think so too.

M4 ingame is..

I'm pretty sure the second statement doesn't apply to ArmA2. Doubt they made separate colision models for the weapons, although I'd love to have them, but they'd have to fix the character being pushed around by collision as well.

Probably the only game where weapon collision was properly implemented and sporting a short weapon indoors was a huge mobility advantage was Infiltration (an awesome mod for UT implementing lots of never-before-seen - and unfortunately neither after - features that any realism-game developer should be forced to play methodically before daring to state they're implementing groundbreaking realistic infantry features)

Edited by stilpu

there are colision models , there is geometry lod in weapons

shoot man in weapon, you will see :)

try to move in thin corridor you will see

Forget about M4 burst or M16A3 because they not using anymore , only M4A1 and A2 mostly A4

A1 version has fully automatic.

M4 dispersion is greater, less accuracy.

That's True ;)

@vilas: True, but the collision model is (was?) for the character model, doesn't depend on the rifle used.

@vilas: True, but the collision model is (was?) for the character model, doesn't depend on the rifle used.

It does.

One difference ingame is that the m16´s can use the mg36 magazines the m4´s can´t. I love 100 round Mags

shoot man in weapon, you will see :)

try to move in thin corridor you will see

Nevermind my gun, I often clip my entire torso through rocks and walls. And shooting at peoples' weapons is similarly spotty.

Are there differences in accuracy ingame between M4 and M16? I was under the impression that everything was magazine driven by the engine, and hence there could be no such differences. I thought this is what ACE fixed for Arma1, using a scripted solution (that worked brilliantly btw).

Feel free to enlighten me though. Did this change with Arma2? I never even bothered to check.

Don't quote me on this, but I think in vanilla Arma 2 the short barrel carbines have higher dispersion and lower AI engagement ranges, but the muzzle velocity is completely determined by the ammo in the magazine. So an M4 fires the same ammo at the same muzzle velocity as an M16, which is of course unrealistic but hard to notice. I think that's something ACE addressed.

Edited by Xenios

In-game I think all have been said... IRL the accuracy difference is very very hard to notice. What is easy to notice is the different ballistic arc - that is, the offsets for different ranges will be clearly different between the 14.5" barrel and the 20" barrel. Of course this only means you need to learn to use both weapons, not that one is better than the other for accuracy. Another advantage of the 20" barrel is higher velocity, thus the bullets fragment (cause serious damage) when hitting targets at a bit longer distances (with ss109 ammo up to 100m as opposed to 50m with a 14.5" barrel). The obvious disadvantage of the 20" barrel (which is a very big disadvantage) is the maneuverability in CQB (and even when just taking cover behind objects in the open) and the weight which makes it a tiny bit harder to aim.

Most of these differences are either not modeled at all or improperly modeled. Even in Infiltration it wasn't done very well, but it was definitely 20 steps ahead of any other game, including Arma 2.

What? Can someone confirm this? I don't seem to notice any difference.

sorry its not game related but i need to ask recently there's talk of Malaysian Army replacing the current Steyr AUG we using now to m4 in the future. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't see any other Army use m4 for their infantryman except only on specialized force. Now the our defense ministry think its a good idea for all to use m4, you think this is a wise decision?

but me think this decision is still on early stage, and i'm sure at the end of the day any arm sales will only be approved by US government :) ohh well we can always turn to Russia for other alternatives :P

It seems dexterity's only affect though is turning speed, which is not anywhere near enough to simulate a heavier/lighter weapon. By playing, I couldn't even tell that turning speed limitations are in the game except for static weapons.

Edited by galzohar

No, it changes the rate at which the weapon can be moved in any direction. It also simulates the momentum of the weapon, so you can't just wave it around and point it instantly in any direction. If you use a floating zone then the effects are probably easier to notice.